Carmelo waiting on Chris Pauls decision?

Lately people are talking about Chris Paul bouncing to another team,and while all this chatter is happening i have been thinking about one thing,is carmelo waiting for chris paul to move?we all know he has a very very very lucrative deal with the 3 year $65 million dollars proposed by denver,but it seems that he is waiting for something to happen before deciding what to do.So maybe,just maybe him and CP3 are planning to bounce to the knicks,only if it can happen.So lets say chris paul goes to the magic(most realistic choice)carmelo will either join amare,or stay in denver and we all know he will stay in denver because the whole point of them thinking about leaving is to beat the big 2 plus 1.so if paul says the knicks are his first choice okay,but what if he doesnt get that wish and the hornets say "your with us for 2 more years,deal with it" then what are we going to do?I strongly believe and this is just me,that CP3 will ask management for a trade to the knicks,then right after he gets traded,carmelo will turn down that extension and become a FA this summer.But lets not forget also that CP3 has no power in him staying or leaving,its all about management.bet you guys are glad we didnt draft darren collison or there wouldnt be no CP3 rumors right about now lol.

Paul1355

All Star
Lately people are talking about Chris Paul bouncing to another team,and while all this chatter is happening i have been thinking about one thing,is carmelo waiting for chris paul to move?we all know he has a very very very lucrative deal with the 3 year $65 million dollars proposed by denver,but it seems that he is waiting for something to happen before deciding what to do.So maybe,just maybe him and CP3 are planning to bounce to the knicks,only if it can happen.So lets say chris paul goes to the magic(most realistic choice)carmelo will either join amare,or stay in denver and we all know he will stay in denver because the whole point of them thinking about leaving is to beat the big 2 plus 1.so if paul says the knicks are his first choice okay,but what if he doesnt get that wish and the hornets say "your with us for 2 more years,deal with it" then what are we going to do?I strongly believe and this is just me,that CP3 will ask management for a trade to the knicks,then right after he gets traded,carmelo will turn down that extension and become a FA this summer.But lets not forget also that CP3 has no power in him staying or leaving,its all about management.bet you guys are glad we didnt draft darren collison or there wouldnt be no CP3 rumors right about now lol.
Melo is def waiting on Paul, because frankly if Paul is a Knick and we can still afford Melo...i dont see Melo going anywhere else besides NY...if Paul signs somewhere else, of course NY is not as intrguing...but Melo with Amare, possibly Gallo/Randolph and Ray Felton...still a very good team.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Melo is def waiting on Paul, because frankly if Paul is a Knick and we can still afford Melo...i dont see Melo going anywhere else besides NY...if Paul signs somewhere else, of course NY is not as intrguing...but Melo with Amare, possibly Gallo/Randolph and Ray Felton...still a very good team.

I don't see how. The whole Melo and Paul scheme was operating under the assumption that we get Melo next year as a FA and Paul the year after. Felton's contract would be coming off the books in 2012. If we get Paul then Okafor has to come too and to get Melo next year we'd had to trade Felton and Okafor to be able to use that cap space immediately. That's asking a team to take on almost $20m for nothing but expiring contracts, Kleenex, and maybe a couple of rubber bands. Effectively adding that $20m in salary to their team for at least one and a half seasons, and to entice them to do that we'd probably have to throw in either Gallo or Randolph depending on who survived the CP3 trade.

I'd rather keep our flexibility and young talent. If both of these guys evolve into solid NBA players we have cheap talent right now that we can add too, then we could start handing out extensions in the future that carry us over the cap and into luxury tax territory. We'd have a budding Dynasty on our hands if that happened.

If Okafor has to come with CP3, I say forget it and lets continue on the road we're heading down. Don't sell the farm for one guy if it's going to handcuff us in the near future when right now we have a solid team with young talent and options.

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
Notice it's always what ifs with the Knicks... It's never when this happens... When Lebron comes to NY, when Chris Paul or Melo sign with the Knicks. I think It's time the Knicks stop waiting around on these players and move on. Offer whatever they want for Chris Paul, and if it means not having enough cap next year to sign Melo than so be it, it's not guaranteed he is coming here anyway. The Knicks so far have done all the right moves this offseason. If they can get Chris Paul and Amare playing together, that is better than Nash and Amare and Phoenix once those two get their chemistry going.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Notice it's always what ifs with the Knicks... It's never when this happens... When Lebron comes to NY, when Chris Paul or Melo sign with the Knicks. I think It's time the Knicks stop waiting around on these players and move on. Offer whatever they want for Chris Paul, and if it means not having enough cap next year to sign Melo than so be it, it's not guaranteed he is coming here anyway. The Knicks so far have done all the right moves this offseason. If they can get Chris Paul and Amare playing together, that is better than Nash and Amare and Phoenix once those two get their chemistry going.

It has more to do with the team's flexibility going forward and less with just one name in Melo. Right now we have young promising players under contract. Don't give up all of them and also take on another team's "Jarred Jeffries or Jerome James" contract when we just spent the better part of two years getting ourselves out of that situation.

Chris Paul and Okafor takes away any flexibility we have going forward and in all likelyhood takes away some more first round picks. So we'd have Paul and Amar'e minus our young talent, minus the ability to supplement the team further with top tier FAs in the next few years because of Okafor's deal that runs through 2014 and the extension we'd have to give Paul, minus the ability to supplement the team with first round draft picks that we traded away to get rid of bad contracts in the past and even more to get Paul.

I rather the scenario where we see what Gallo and Randolph give us going forward teamed up with STAT, and the ability to actually sign FAs going forward (whether or not that FA's name is Melo is irrelevant, cap space is king, without it...you don't even have the ability to do anything without compromising)

If Gallo and Randolph turn into players that we simply can't part with and neither one is 25, we're set going forward since we'd have both of their Bird Rights. If they don't pan out, they're cheap and not under any sort of long term contract that's going to pay them $56m over the next 4 years in guaranteed money (Okafor.) I don't want to gut the team to take that burden.

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
I understand building for the future, but this in NY and after not making it to the playoffs for 10 years straight, I think its time we concentrate on now and not the future.

moneyg

Starter
Bottom line.
Carmelo+felton>paul. And I'm not even including gallo and randolph and douglas being lost in trade and taking on okafors contract.

I'm not takin okafors contract and givin up all my ypoung talent. I'm ready to roll with what I got. Melo needs to force a trade like pual is doing. I'd give up gallo. Melo c u next year.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
^There.

The reality is if NO doesn't want to trade Paul it'll take A LOT of assets to convince them otherwise. It's not worth it, especially since he's going to be a FA in 2 years.