FIELDS may be best pick of Draft!

mafra

Legend
Tommy Dee posted this on "theknicksblog.com"

For those of you that don?t get ESPN insider David Thorpe ranks his top 10 summer league performers. (via young hova)
1-5 being Wall, Damion Jones, Cousins, Harangody, and Caracter followed by:6. Landry Fields, Knicks
Summer-league stats: 15.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.6 spg
Like Harangody, Fields does not yet look the part of an NBA player, but his game is spot-on for the Knicks? style. He runs, shoots and finishes, and he has a great feel for the game overall. When considering talent plus fit, I think this may be the best overall draft selection of all 60 picks.
I liked it at the time, and obviously still do. He?s NBA ready.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Yea I'm impressed too, and I remember flipping out when they drafted him (I admittedly didn't know much about him at the time) but I was yelling at my girlfriend and everything, lol.

Good to see that he looks as promising as he does, and with the additions of the bigs that we got, the pick is looking better and better by the day.

Good work Donnie :thumbsup:.

this is the most insane thread i have seen on this sight by far,the best pick? okay he is impressive...FOR THE SUMMER LEAGUE this guy looks so out of shape but maybe its just me and he has zero skills he is riding on his high basketball IQ but watch 2 years from now landry fields will be forgotten but hey he may prove me wrong and stick it to the league.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
exactly he may not be that bad but without a question not the best pick by 100 million miles.
not true, best pick isnt the best player but the guy who is the most better than the average player picked at that pick. By that logic he has definitely looked like it in summer league. He might be a fluke, but hes alot better than anyof us expected.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
not true, best pick isnt the best player but the guy who is the most better than the average player picked at that pick. By that logic he has definitely looked like it in summer league. He might be a fluke, but hes alot better than anyof us expected.

i think I know what you mean. Then you should state that. It's misleading.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Hey I hope the whole league holds this dude in such high regard that means he has high trade value!

He is a Matt Barnes/Trevor Ariza type....a nice role player who compliments a good team.....but that is about it!

In terms of team needs, every team needs an All Star calliber PG, so by that logic John Wall is the best pick!

2nd best would have to be Favors who is the perfect compliment to Brook Lopez on the frontline

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Oh really? Every team needs an all-star caliber PG? I wasn't aware Derek Fisher was an all-star caliber PG

That being said Fields is a great pick considering where we got him. We were considering taking Jarvis Varnado with that pick...more I learned about him, more I started to doubt it all...

mafra

Legend
Folks, the label "best pick" is used b/c of talent, fit for team and slot where taken.

Fields was the 60th selection... Hence his value.

Of course the #1 pick (Wall) is the better playter. BUt how many lottery picks are busts, and well compensated to do nada?

Fields was rated as a TOP TEN talent, according to Summer League play.

That's it.

Top-10 talent, taken with the 60th pick.... hence the "best pick" moniker.

Paul1355

All Star
Tommy Dee posted this on "theknicksblog.com"

For those of you that don?t get ESPN insider David Thorpe ranks his top 10 summer league performers. (via young hova)
1-5 being Wall, Damion Jones, Cousins, Harangody, and Caracter followed by:6. Landry Fields, Knicks
Summer-league stats: 15.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.6 spg
Like Harangody, Fields does not yet look the part of an NBA player, but his game is spot-on for the Knicks? style. He runs, shoots and finishes, and he has a great feel for the game overall. When considering talent plus fit, I think this may be the best overall draft selection of all 60 picks.
I liked it at the time, and obviously still do. He?s NBA ready.
not THE best pick, is he seriously considering Fields over John Wall? LMAO

the best 2nd round pick, possibly, even though I see guys like Lance Stephenson playing a big role in Indiana's weak roster, Terrico White on a Piston team with many needs, and watch the Heat picks(Varnado and Butler) being twice as good with the Big three helping out

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. If we had gotten Stephenson, imagine how good of trade bait he'd be for a team like NO if we wanted to trade Paul.

That'd give us three prime assets in Gallo, Randolph, and Stephenson - it'd make it so we could keep either Gallo or Randolph, in other words. There's no way Andy Rautins is ever going to reach that level of player, and he's not even valuable as a trade chip cause nobody wants him.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Folks, the label "best pick" is used b/c of talent, fit for team and slot where taken.

Fields was the 60th selection... Hence his value.

Of course the #1 pick (Wall) is the better playter. BUt how many lottery picks are busts, and well compensated to do nada?

Fields was rated as a TOP TEN talent, according to Summer League play.

That's it.

Top-10 talent, taken with the 60th pick.... hence the "best pick" moniker.

This makes good sense. He certainly suprised me. I wasn't hurling when they drafted him and I didn't fall off my chair from excitement either. He could be a nice player for us.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I gotta admit, I flipped out when I heard that they drafted Landry Fields...

He's managed to prove me wrong so far. Hopefully it continues.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Oh really? Every team needs an all-star caliber PG? I wasn't aware Derek Fisher was an all-star caliber PG

That being said Fields is a great pick considering where we got him. We were considering taking Jarvis Varnado with that pick...more I learned about him, more I started to doubt it all...

allow me to answer a question with a question....are you saying The Lakers that if The Lakers had a legit shot at getting Wall they wouldve passed on him because they have Fisher?

The PG position is the most important position in the NBA, so the team that gets that pick correct on Draft is more times then not going end up having the Best pick.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Uh...no, I'm not saying that at all.

The Lakers don't need an all-star PG. If one is available in the draft, you take him because in the draft you always take the best player available.

Same reason why the Wizards drafted Wall even though they already had Gilbert Arenas manning the point - you take the best player available, period.

The Lakers would've taken John Wall if they had the first pick in the draft. That doesn't mean that they NEED a PG of Wall's caliber.

I'm confused by how you interpreted my statement. All I said is that teams don't necessarily NEED amazing point guards to succeed, and you took that as saying I was implying that the presence of Derek Fisher somehow means the Lakers would've passed on Wall (which is insane).

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
listening to walt he really likes him... looks like he could stick if given a spot and a chance... he's strong at the point of attack on both ends... kind of rare now days.

Toons

is the Bo$$
not THE best pick, is he seriously considering Fields over John Wall? LMAO

the best 2nd round pick, possibly, even though I see guys like Lance Stephenson playing a big role in Indiana's weak roster, Terrico White on a Piston team with many needs, and watch the Heat picks(Varnado and Butler) being twice as good with the Big three helping out

shows how much you know....

who the hell are varnado and butler? they are definitely not twice as good as fields

p0nder

Starter
lol it's funny to look back at these posts. Fields is a great player and an amazing find in the 2nd round.