Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report: Chris Paul still wants to be traded

Originally Posted by keyser soze
    I have to say, I admire your relentless enthusiasm for purusing CP3. I have a few questions though.

1) Wouldn't that be the worst bench in the NBA? Or, at least the most unproven bench in the NBA? What if we get an injury or two? What about depth?

2) Obviously, we'd be reducing the size, shotblocking, and rebounding of our lineup, considerably. Would we honestly be able to rebound enough to win consistently with that lineup? Would we adequately be able to defend the paint?

3) What about our weakness at shooting guard? This proposed trade depletes that position even further with the loss of Azubuike. I guess we'd trade Felton for one sometime on or after September 15nth? Could we afford to do that with only Tony Douglas left on the roster as a potential backup Point Guard?

4) Out of curiosity, what makes you "fairly confident" we are landing CP3? Why isn't it at least equally as likely that he ends up in either Portland, Dallas, New Jersey, Charlotte, or even Orlando (I actually don't buy Orlando but what the heck)?
    On the bench we have some depth at back-up point guard. Fields looks like he'll be serviceable. I'll admit though it is a bit thin.

Okafor is 6'10 and a very good (averages 10.3 for his career) rebounder and defender. Amare is Amare. He's a scorer and his rebounding (career-8.9) numbers are fine too.

At the 2 I really don't have much to tell you. We would have to hope Walker can handle it. I think CP3 would make life a whole lot easier for him. Coach doesn't demand much from his 2 anyway- spot up for 3, run and defend basically.

Lastly, I commented in one of the early threads about the prospect of getting Paul w out much explanation on why I'm confident. Honestly it's really just a feeling I have. I think Walsh feels that in order for us to be a perennial contender we have to get Paul. I happen to agree w him. Here's my previous comment:

With Paul making noise like he is, and he is being quite flamboyant, I'd say New Orleans is probably gonna have to trade him. They are a team that needs to rebuild and Paul knows this.

All of the Karma is pointing towards him eventually teaming with Amare, unlike with Lebron. With LBJ it was exciting, but I always felt like it just wasn't going to happen one way or another.

These CP3 rumblings are very exciting to me, but in a more relaxed kind of way because I'm more confident it will actually happen. Go Knicks!!

We'll see what happens!

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    On the bench we have some depth at back-up point guard. Fields looks like he'll be serviceable. I'll admit though it is a bit thin.

Okafor is 6'10 and a very good (averages 10.3 for his career) rebounder and defender. Amare is Amare. He's a scorer and his rebounding (career-8.9) numbers are fine too.

At the 2 I really don't have much to tell you. We would have to hope Walker can handle it. I think CP3 would make life a whole lot easier for him. Coach doesn't demand much from his 2 anyway- spot up for 3, run and defend basically.

Lastly, I commented in one of the early threads about the prospect of getting Paul w out much explanation on why I'm confident. Honestly it's really just a feeling I have. I think Walsh feels that in order for us to be a perennial contender we have to get Paul. I happen to agree w him. Here's my previous comment:

With Paul making noise like he is, and he is being quite flamboyant, I'd say New Orleans is probably gonna have to trade him. They are a team that needs to rebuild and Paul knows this.

All of the Karma is pointing towards him eventually teaming with Amare, unlike with Lebron. With LBJ it was exciting, but I always felt like it just wasn't going to happen one way or another.

These CP3 rumblings are very exciting to me, but in a more relaxed kind of way because I'm more confident it will actually happen. Go Knicks!!

We'll see what happens!
    I have to admit that when I first heard the trade rumors I had a feeling like "it feels right". I wouldn't be shocked at all to see it happen. (Although I sincerely doubt Donnie Walsh would give up anywhere near as much as you are willing to in your trade proposal) I was just curious where your confidence on the matter came from.

As for fields, he's a shooting guard (and maybe even a small forward).

Personally, my biggest issue with your proposal is the lack of depth. We'd be one injury away from peril.

Also, I disagree about Okafor and Amare being adequate on the boards. Okafor is a good rebounder. Amare is a decent one. That's it. Randolph has a chance to be a special rebounder. Gallo is 6'10 would get 4-5 rebounds a game in his sleep. Turiaf is another very solid rebounder. In your trade, we are trading away two 6'10 forwards and one 6'11/7'0 forward (depending on how much Randolph really has grown) and getting back a 6'0 guard and a 6'10 forward (disregarding the other guards your proposed trade). I don't know . . . what ever happened to not trading bigs for smalls?

And our shotblocking is nonexistant in your proposed lineup. Neither Amare or Okafor are shotblockers. Randolph and Turiaf are both among the best shotblockers in the league per minutes played. Randolph has a chance to be the best shotblocker in the league for the next 10 years. Last year, I think we were the single worst shotblocking team in the league. (Or we may have been the second worst. The point is we were awful)

The bottom line is, even disregarding the argument of whether or not Gallo or Randolph (or both) can develop into perennial all-stars, I think you are overlooking major areas of concern in your haste for the Knicks to land another star player. We'll see what happens and arguments can and will continue to be made both ways, but I don't think that your proposed trade for Chris Paul would be in the best interest of the Knicks. Either way, let's just hope our team can finally put a contending team on the court again really soon.