Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knicks Make Offer to Shannon Brown

Default Knicks Make Offer to Shannon Brown

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Knicks make offer to Lakers' Brown

Posted on: July 29, 2010 3:36 pm

The [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] have extended an offer to Shannon Brown and are waiting to hear whether the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]' free-agent guard will take it or wait for L.A. to make room to re-sign him by trading [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], two people with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com Thursday.

Brown, 24, played all 82 games for the champion Lakers last season and is weighing whether to join Ray Felton in the Knicks' revamped backcourt or give the Lakers time to clear the room needed to re-sign him. The Lakers didn't give all of their mid-level exception to point guard [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], so some of it is left for Brown. But that's not really the issue. The Lakers, as usual, are well into the luxury tax. So moving Vujacic's $5.4 million salary for next season would ease the tax hit associated with keeping Brown.

Brown's electrifying transition game would be a huge asset in coach Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo system, and Brown would have a good chance of winning a starting job after starting only seven games for the Lakers last season.

Meanwhile, the Knicks continue to explore trade possibilities and remain interested in Blazers swingman [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], who is actively being shopped. In their pursuit of a deal for Fernandez, or perhaps [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] if and when the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] begin fielding serious trade inquiries, the Knicks have a few more assets to offer than commonly realized. According to two people familiar with how the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] sign-and-trade arrangement was structured, the Knicks do not have to wait the standard 60 days before combining [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with other players in a trade. The Knicks were still under the salary cap when Lee was signed and traded, exempting them from the 60-day waiting period, which applies only to players acquired with a trade exception by teams that are over the cap.

A waste of cap space. We don't need him. We need a real SG.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    A waste of cap space. We don't need him. We need a real SG.
    How is SB not a real shooting guard?

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    How is SB not a real shooting guard?
    He can't shoot...hence the "shooting" in shooting guard.

He's a SG in a PG's body, yet he can't shoot. All he can do is dunk. This is not what we need.

Veteran

Even then his dunks are mad lame like in the dunk contest...a regular running dunk?

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    He can't shoot...hence the "shooting" in shooting guard.

He's a SG in a PG's body, yet he can't shoot. All he can do is dunk. This is not what we need.
    True, he's not a great shooter. I don't know, I've always really liked his game. He's an ingnitor and would fit in very nicely in an uptempo system like ours. I think he'd easily be an upgrade over Bill Walker, and with the question marks surrounding Azubuike and his Knee, I think Shannon Brown would be a solid move. Also, he's another guy who is still very young (24) with a lot of potential.

Originally Posted by mafra
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Knicks make offer to Lakers' Brown

Posted on: July 29, 2010 3:36 pm

The [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] have extended an offer to Shannon Brown and are waiting to hear whether the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]' free-agent guard will take it or wait for L.A. to make room to re-sign him by trading [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], two people with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com Thursday.

Brown, 24, played all 82 games for the champion Lakers last season and is weighing whether to join Ray Felton in the Knicks' revamped backcourt or give the Lakers time to clear the room needed to re-sign him. The Lakers didn't give all of their mid-level exception to point guard [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], so some of it is left for Brown. But that's not really the issue. The Lakers, as usual, are well into the luxury tax. So moving Vujacic's $5.4 million salary for next season would ease the tax hit associated with keeping Brown.

Brown's electrifying transition game would be a huge asset in coach Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo system, and Brown would have a good chance of winning a starting job after starting only seven games for the Lakers last season.

Meanwhile, the Knicks continue to explore trade possibilities and remain interested in Blazers swingman [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], who is actively being shopped. In their pursuit of a deal for Fernandez, or perhaps [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] if and when the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] begin fielding serious trade inquiries, the Knicks have a few more assets to offer than commonly realized. According to two people familiar with how the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] sign-and-trade arrangement was structured, the Knicks do not have to wait the standard 60 days before combining [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] with other players in a trade. The Knicks were still under the salary cap when Lee was signed and traded, exempting them from the 60-day waiting period, which applies only to players acquired with a trade exception by teams that are over the cap.
    For everyone who doubts that more trades are on the horizon. Don't get too attatched to any single player besides Amare . . .

Originally Posted by keyser soze
    For everyone who doubts that more trades are on the horizon. Don't get too attatched to any single player besides Amare . . .
    I don't think clearing up a misconception = a trade is going to happen. I didn't know that players packaged in one trade could be packaged in another one if the team that acquired them was under the cap, I don't think many on this forum knew either...it's not exactly common knowledge.

But I'll take Donnie's word in that phone interview during the last Summer League game when he said the only thing he was really looking to do was address the 2 guard spot. We don't know what we'll have when pairing up Randolph with STAT and Gallo on the court, and until we see what we have in training camp and the preseason, don't expect to see any blockbuster trades anytime soon.

Every star in the NBA was a young, unproven, player with potential at one point. If we have two of those guys I think Donnie's going to want to see what we have before we move anyone. He's a smart man, he's not going to make his decisions based on big names and the "man...this player isn't putting up huge numbers in his 2nd year....lets get rid of him" mindset.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I don't think clearing up a misconception = a trade is going to happen. I didn't know that players packaged in one trade could be packaged in another one if the team that acquired them was under the cap, I don't think many on this forum knew either...it's not exactly common knowledge.

But I'll take Donnie's word in that phone interview during the last Summer League game when he said the only thing he was really looking to do was address the 2 guard spot. We don't know what we'll have when pairing up Randolph with STAT and Gallo on the court, and until we see what we have in training camp and the preseason, don't expect to see any blockbuster trades anytime soon.

Every star in the NBA was a young, unproven, player with potential at one point. If we have two of those guys I think Donnie's going to want to see what we have before we move anyone. He's a smart man, he's not going to make his decisions based on big names and the "man...this player isn't putting up huge numbers in his 2nd year....lets get rid of him" mindset.
    Hey, I totally agree with you. Read my posts. I've been debating the major CP3 advocates for days on this board about the perils of trading away the farm for a Superstar point guard that, in my humble opinion, we don't absolutely need. I'm just saying that we are acquiring a lot of young assets (which I'm THRILLED about) and I have a feeling the Knicks are looking to pursue Paul in a big way. I'm NOT saying I'm all that happy about it.

I gotcha, although I don't know if we're looking to sell the farm to get Paul. I think Donnie is smarter than that.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I gotcha, although I don't know if we're looking to sell the farm to get Paul. I think Donnie is smarter than that.

Yeah, that's my big hope. Donnie has proven to be a very prudent decision maker and he is known to be conservative when it comes to trading away young players. But I just have this eerie feeling about the Knicks and Chris Paul. Regardless, so far I really like the direction we have taken this offseason.

I agree gutting the team for Paul would be a bad move. Like you say Donnie has been smart with his trades for the most part, the only time we really gave up too much was in the JJ trade. But it was necessary to get him off the books for this summer. Turned out pretty well in the end.

As for Shannon Brown it's an interesting scenario. I'd rather have Rudy Fernandez but Brown wouldn't be a horrible pickup. We could really use a 2 guard with a solid jumper, Walker and Chandler can both shoot the 2 ok-ish but their jumpshots are ugly. Thing is what can Brown do that Chandler can't? Not a whole lot. I guess he's a bit more aggressive than Chandler has been in recent seasons but that's about it. Then again Chandler has a lot of attributes SB doesn't have.

He could be a good trade chip to have come deadline that's for sure.

I don't get it? Walker, Chandler, Azabuike are all mid range ability, strong, athletic SGs (bar Chandler who's really a SF). Why add to the overload?

Maybe Walker's being waived?

I can't see why we'd sign him unless something is cooking with trades or waived contracts?

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    I don't get it? Walker, Chandler, Azabuike are all mid range ability, strong, athletic SGs (bar Chandler who's really a SF). Why add to the overload?

Maybe Walker's being waived?

I can't see why we'd sign him unless something is cooking with trades or waived contracts?

1) Bill Walker has a lot to prove and I'm not sure that the Knicks really believe in him longterm.

2) Azubuike is coming off of a major injury I'm sure there are questions about it will affect his game in the long run

3) Shannon Brown would have a very decent shot at winning the starting two-guard spot (One could make the argument that Azubuike would start if fully recovered and healthy but I'm not sure)

4) I think you hit the nail on the head . . . there are trades on the horizon.
    Last edited by keyser soze; Jul 29, 2010 at 21:26.

Veteran

According to Tommy Dee of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Update 7:10- Tommy Says...Multiple sources confirm that the Knicks have NOT offered Shannon Brown, but they are closely monitoring the situation with the Lakers. The Lakers are in flux in trying to maneuver players to fit the roster. They obviously had an active FA off season. The Knicks will wait to see what happens with the Lakers before officially offering Brown. Word is both sides have mutual interest.