Roger Mason to Join Knicks?

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
Free agent Roger Mason hinted in a video on Youtube.com that he could soon be joining the Knicks.

Source: Probasketballtalk.com

What does this mean for Chandler? Does walker get cut?

Is Mason good enough to start? I havent seen him play that much. How would he be in this offense?

moneyg

Starter
well mason is a very good defensive player and can shoot the open corner three. those are his best attributes. not a blowby player but a good solid pick up and he can start on a good team. wont make stupid plays..

portega1968

El Cacique
plus, he's an architect.. which I guess somehow makes him a decent point guard? ok, that probably doesnt make sense.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
He would be a good addition to this team and to this system, he's a very solid shooter who can contribute on defense too, so it's a nice pickup in my opinion.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
So we didn't really accomplish anything, did we?

We still need a starting SG. We have several bench SG's but no starter.

We will regret not being more aggressive to get Rudy Fernandez. Boston or Chicago will get him now and we'll wish we had.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Is this an indictment on Walker and his bad summer league?

I would say so. Also, what does this say about their confidence that Azubuike will be ready to play?

Also, what happened to the patient Donnie? Where did he go? To give up on Rudy so quickly is unlike him. I'm sure we could have reached some agreement with Portland. We have something like 4 2nd round picks. I'm disappointed. There was time to allow Portland to sweat and then make an appropriate offer.

New New York

Quiet Storm

We will regret not being more aggressive to get Rudy Fernandez. Boston or Chicago will get him now and we'll wish we had.

Mason could be a starter....problem is he is not the type of starter we would need. He is an X factor type player we need a player who can take over a game from that SG

Still not a bad pickup considering it is a one year deal for only 1.4 million

I would not give up a first rounder for Fernandez either that is Donnie being patient in not looking desperate to snag Rudy!

Paul1355

All Star

you and I both know that Fernandez was not worth a player plus a 1st round pick....aren't you tired of seeing our 1st round picks go to other teams?

Donnie made a good move here. Keep the pick and get a good outside shooter in Mason who is coming from a good team in the Spurs.

Now with Mason this makes Chandler the backup SF off the bench to probably be a sixth man.

Walker, Mason, and Azabuke will be our Shooting Guard's unless a trade occurs which I think is highly poccible because each of these guys need minutes some how.

Expect one of these SG's + Chandler+Douglas to be involved in a trade for Melo this year.

We are acquiring assets for a big trade.

Paul1355

All Star
I would say so. Also, what does this say about their confidence that Azubuike will be ready to play?

Also, what happened to the patient Donnie? Where did he go? To give up on Rudy so quickly is unlike him. I'm sure we could have reached some agreement with Portland. We have something like 4 2nd round picks. I'm disappointed. There was time to allow Portland to sweat and then make an appropriate offer.
Portland wanted a 1st round pick which we did not want to give up. Of all the teams to trade a 1st round pick, the Knicks should be last on the list since we have traded most of ours in the past decade.

A player plus two 2nd round picks was prob not enough. Portland makes demands and are strict with requests. They will get James Johnson and a 1st round pick by the Bulls....thats the latest rumor.

iJoe

Rotation player
I like Fernandez a lot, but I'm glad the knicks made a stand and finally refused to give up a1st round pick! Portland is notorious for trying too hard to get the best of every deal. Its a one year deal so it gives a bunch of players a chance to compete for the starting 2 spot. Not a bad idea. I like Azubuike the best, but I'm glad theres some options at least.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Portland wanted a 1st round pick which we did not want to give up. Of all the teams to trade a 1st round pick, the Knicks should be last on the list since we have traded most of ours in the past decade.

A player plus two 2nd round picks was prob not enough. Portland makes demands and are strict with requests. They will get James Johnson and a 1st round pick by the Bulls....thats the latest rumor.

I agree that giving a first round pick would be too much for Rudy. But that is their demand NOW. Why not wait and see. Portland is the team that needs to trade, not us. So we wait until they lower their demands.

If a late 1st rounder is all Portland wants, why wouldn't they accept two 2nd rounders later, when they may be more desperate to make a move?

And I don't buy that we are stock piling assets for a big trade. Is a 1 year deal for Roger Mason really a major asset? No.

I'm not totally against signing Mason. I just think we should have been more patient. Multiple 2nd rounders for Rudy would have been totally worth it. Our 2nd round picks this year won't even crack the rotation. Rudy would jump right in and be our starting SG for years to come.

I just don't understand why Donnie wasn't more patient, that's all.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Fantastic! We still don't have a starting caliber SG! One year deal is nice though. Mason had his purple patch with SA, but suddenly disappeared. What happened there?

It's a good signing and it means that there's a trade imminent.

Does it?

Is this an indictment on Walker and his bad summer league?

Could be. He was pretty bogus. From what I can gather the Knicks have already added him to the roster and picked up the team option for this year.

Paul1355

All Star
I agree that giving a first round pick would be too much for Rudy. But that is their demand NOW. Why not wait and see. Portland is the team that needs to trade, not us. So we wait until they lower their demands.

If a late 1st rounder is all Portland wants, why wouldn't they accept two 2nd rounders later, when they may be more desperate to make a move?

And I don't buy that we are stock piling assets for a big trade. Is a 1 year deal for Roger Mason really a major asset? No.

I'm not totally against signing Mason. I just think we should have been more patient. Multiple 2nd rounders for Rudy would have been totally worth it. Our 2nd round picks this year won't even crack the rotation. Rudy would jump right in and be our starting SG for years to come.

I just don't understand why Donnie wasn't more patient, that's all.
If you watched the summer league you can argue that landry Fields might get some playing time maybe 5 min a game just to be a backup SG, SF if Chandler or Gallo get hit with foul trouble.

So from the looks of it right now....Jerome Jordan, Andy Rautins, and Eddy Curry will be our 3 reserves that won't be suited up.

Fields, our second round pick, will be suited up because he was clearly better than Rautins adn Jordan in the summer league and is a smarter player on the court than both of them.

So we have a solid startin lineup with Felton, Gallo, Amare, prob Turiaf and SG is up for grabs between Azabuke and Mason.

Solid bench with Randolph, Chandler, Douglas, Mozgov, Mason....we can easily be a 45 to 50 win team.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If you watched the summer league you can argue that landry Fields might get some playing time maybe 5 min a game just to be a backup SG, SF if Chandler or Gallo get hit with foul trouble.

So from the looks of it right now....Jerome Jordan, Andy Rautins, and Eddy Curry will be our 3 reserves that won't be suited up.

Fields, our second round pick, will be suited up because he was clearly better than Rautins adn Jordan in the summer league and is a smarter player on the court than both of them.

So we have a solid startin lineup with Felton, Gallo, Amare, prob Turiaf and SG is up for grabs between Azabuke and Mason.

Solid bench with Randolph, Chandler, Douglas, Mozgov, Mason....we can easily be a 45 to 50 win team.

Are you implying that because Fields MIGHT see a few minutes because someone is in foul trouble, that giving up a couple 2nd rounders would not be worth a starting SG that would flourish in this system?

Rudy is worth a couple 2nd rounders, if Portland would take that offer later in the offseason. But we'll never know because we didn't wait.

mafra

Legend
Watching the pick-n-roll between Felton-STAT with Rudy F. & Gallo on opposite wings knocking down 3s.... letting it rain.... with a bruising big banging the baseline.... That would have been nice.

We'll see what happens. Maybe we offered ? + Walker, while POR was adamant they wanted ? + 1st round pick. We call their bluff and sign Mason.

Ball is in CHI's court now. Will they give up Johnson + a 1st? Maybe not. THEN, since we don't seem desperate.... PORT settles on a trade on our demands.

Maybe Walker + 2 2nd rounders?

In essence, we could STILL swing a deal for Rudy.

Even with Mason, I feel we must get Rudy. UNLESS we still believe in Walker. Let's be honest, both Walker & Rudy have potential. Sure they excel at different stufff, but maybe we simply swap one for the other (and we toss in 2nd rounder or two).

Even so, maybe Walker turns out to be the better player. FORGET the Summer League stuff. Dude should be a senior in college this season, right?

AS FOR MASON, another quality pickup. Plays defense and shoots the 3. AZU & Mason are the type of players we need to compliment Felton & Gallo.

Paul1355

All Star
Are you implying that because Fields MIGHT see a few minutes because someone is in foul trouble, that giving up a couple 2nd rounders would not be worth a starting SG that would flourish in this system?

Rudy is worth a couple 2nd rounders, if Portland would take that offer later in the off season. But we'll never know because we didn't wait.
No I am not implying that I am against trading two 2nd rounders and a player for Fernandez, I think that would have been a fair deal on both sides.

The reason I mentioned Fields was because you said..."The 2nd round picks won't even crack the rotation".....Fields will probably crack it at a few min per game just because of his hustle and IQ on the court, with injuries to Chandler and/or Gallo I could see Fields getting role players minutes, not right away but at the end of the season, possibly.

Portland got greedy and Donnie made the right move by not being Isiah Thomas and trading picks like they mean nothing.

We need 1st round picks, waiting would have done nothing since the Bulls are already in negotiations with the Blazers and James Johnson with a 1st round pick is a good deal.

I know patience is virtue and Donnie is the master at it, but this is a new team with a new look which means things are run differently which in conclusion means saving 1st round picks is worth more than Rudy.

Last edited: