KnicksonLIN.com
Top 5 NBA players
1. Dwyane Wade
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Carmelo Anthony & Lebron James
4. Kevin Durant
5. Pau Gasol

How is Carmelo Anthony not elite?

Anthony is, in my opinion, better than Lebron. The only reason I tied him with Lebron is, because Lebron made the NBA finals. Had he not made the finals, Anthony would be one spot above him. And I'd take Durant or Gasol over Lebuhon any day. Lebuhon is a certified choke artist, and he will show this, once again, in the 2011 playoffs. Lucky for him, Dwyane Wade is one of the most clutch players in the NBA, and Bosh can give you 20 ppg in the playoffs, consistently.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
'Melo's better than Pau? Compared to other forwards, Anthony's pretty good. He's fast, he's got good strength, is just as tall... does he still take his eyes off the ball? If his keeps his turnovers low, 'Melo's a good fit with most teams -- at the very least as their #2 option.

I'm shocked that such an article came from ESPN. Is the author of this read blind...or even watching basketball? Does he/she even know what he had to work with in Denver? If he became a knick not only will he be playing along side some better pieces...the fact that MSG and NY being his home town will motivate him to be a more complete baller, there's no doubt in my mind about that...

CP3 is a risk factor. He was injure, missed many games, just had surgery, most likely rusty...and has the potential to wear out his injured knee running in D'Antoni's system . It's bad enough Amare will have to endure the running system on suspect legs...no need for 2 wounded vets to be riding the pine with ice packs on the knees...not a good look.

Imo. I woud wait to see what cp3 has left in the tank before glorifying his game when in fact it might be none exsistant. Besides, his presence isn't really needed as much as the Knicks are going to need big men in this conference.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
How any moron could suggest one of the league's best scorers is a non-elite player is beyond me.

I wouldn't put him top 5 by any means, but easily top 10-15. In a league with around 400 players, how is top 15 NOT elite?

smokes

Huge Member
Haha this is just ANOTHER case of the media hating on NYC since it looks like we have a legit shot of getting Melo.

Seriously I wonder why these guys have such a chip on their shoulder about the Knicks.

metrocard

Legend
Carmelo Anthony, the new Glen Robinson.

display_image.jpg

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
He's in the top 10-top 15 range. He is not a top 5 player at all. He is either at the end of the top 10 or in the higher end of the top 15. Likely between 8-13 overall. 3rd best SF in the league behind LeBron and Durant, who is basically a more efficient Melo (high volume scorer, meh playmaker, defender, similar rebounders)

metrocard

Legend
He's in the top 10-top 15 range. He is not a top 5 player at all. He is either at the end of the top 10 or in the higher end of the top 15. Likely between 8-13 overall. 3rd best SF in the league behind LeBron and Durant, who is basically a more efficient Melo (high volume scorer, meh playmaker, defender, similar rebounders)

He is not better than Iggy.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player

Your mad dumb I know you did not just say Melo is not better than Iggy

You mean on defense or athletically right?

Because he's better than Iggy in literally every other facet of the game there's a reason this year was Andre Iguadalas first as an all-star and he's never led his team past the first round and doesn't even lead his team in scoring.

metrocard

Legend
Iggy has been the perimeter defender in the NBA in the last couple of years. He's the Derrell Revis of the NBA. Add that to his all around game and you have a better player.

Iggy is actually quite underrated. I love his game. Doesn't need to score to make an impact. He's a mini LeBron.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Iggy has been the perimeter defender in the NBA in the last couple of years. He's the Derrell Revis of the NBA. Add that to his all around game and you have a better player.

Iggy is actually quite underrated. I love his game. Doesn't need to score to make an impact. He's a mini LeBron.

:teeth:

Wow...

fender0577

Rotation player
He's not better than Iggy? If i said you could have a player, who averages-24.7ppg-6.3rpg and 3.1 apg, while shooting 80%ft and 45.6 from the field.Or a player who averages-15.4ppg-5.8rpg and 4.8 apg, while shooting 73%ft and 46.1 from the field.Who would you draft, be honest.:gony:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
He's not better than Iggy? If i said you could have a player, who averages-24.7ppg-6.3rpg and 3.1 apg, while shooting 80%ft and 45.6 from the field.Or a player who averages-15.4ppg-5.8rpg and 4.8 apg, while shooting 73%ft and 46.1 from the field.Who would you draft, be honest.:gony:

Problem is once you account for defense, Iggy turns out to be quite OK.

If Melo played harder defense then this wouldn't be an issue

munco

Benchwarmer

If it were offense only. Melo's been sleep walking on defense unless he's playing Lebron. Igoudala is regarding as on of the best defensive players in the league. I think Melo could be a great defender but he seems borderline disinterested in playing D unless he's guarding Lebron.

Den318

Benchwarmer
If it were offense only. Melo's been sleep walking on defense unless he's playing Lebron. Igoudala is regarding as on of the best defensive players in the league. I think Melo could be a great defender but he seems borderline disinterested in playing D unless he's guarding Lebron.

He plays with no heart. When his shoots are not falling like this year, he is useless because he doesn't do anything else to help the team. He is so far from elite, it's not even worth a mention.

fire the coach and change the system

The coach was hired to bring his then highly valued system here.

Fire the people who hired the coach and/or the people who traded for a max. player who doesn't fit into the system of a coach who was specifically hired to bring his system to New York.

I hate to dwell on it guys, I really do but as long as Dolan and several short term GMs are planning our present AND future we're forever stuck in a dead end.

Melo, Amare etc. they're all good players, but they only work well in specific constellations:

- Amar'e needs a great pick and roll PG with experience, he needs to play center to outmaneuver people and he needs SSOL to be a beast on offense.

- Melo needs the ball about 90% of the time, a lot of iso plays and a lot of dirty work guys who play defense for him, make all the hustle plays and sacrifice themselves for him, so he can be that deadly scorer that he once was and probably still is in the right system for him.

Melo's system
bd0d5f08997b7a4ad8598963f7e50231.png
Amare's system.

That's why they both look worse together than they look apart. Both good players on their own, just not made to play together.

Might be different if we had drafted them both and developed to play side by side....who knows, we never really had our draft picks around 2002-2004.

And D'Antoni: Good coach, but he needs a franchise PG like Nash, Williams, Paul, maybe Kidd AND a lot of great shooters. He never had that in New York, add the fact that Melo doesn't fit into his system and he looks pretty bad coaching wise.

Our front office has to be the worst in the NBA over the last 12 years or so, I mean all those stupid trades under Scott Layden like Camby and Nene for an injury prone Dice (who played 5 games or so in 2 years for us).

Spree for Keith Van Horn :countdown: etc.

Then Isiah took over and pissed away our next 5-6 years, all well documented.

Finally we hired a good GM in Donnie Walsh, but they didn't give him any time (2 years are a damn joke to rebuild a franchise). He did a pretty good job, but wasn't allowed to finish his project and the work he did in 2 years was thrown out of the window in one night.

And this is where we are now. Grunwald has done a decent job this season, kudos to him, but all he can do is try to make minor tweaks and fix some things here and there. He can't correct our 'trinity of death' Melo-Amar'e-D'Antoni. Those 3 aren't made for each other.

One has to go, that much is obvious, if it's D'ANtoni we as fans should ask the question why he was hired in the first place. I mean I never was a fan of his philosophy in Phoenix and I still don't think it'S right for the Eastern Conference and New York in particular now, but why on earth did we hire him in the first place?

Everybody knew what D'ANtoni was all about!? Why did we hire him and then didn't give him the right players for his system?
Imo we can't blame D'Antoni, you can't buy a Playstation and then expect to play XBox games on it, but that's pretty much what we the fanbase and our beloved owner do and did over the last couple of seasons.

If we wanted players like Melo etc. why did we sign D'Antoni?
And why did we sign him anyway to a team that plays in a city where defense and hustle are valued most and more than 120 points a night.

I actually have to give him (D'Antoni) some credit, he tried to adjust his system and abandoned SSOL after the Melo trade, unfortunately he'S a one trick pony and the only trick he knows well is SSOL and how to win with it, BUT that was known in 2008 for christ's sake?!

So again: Why did we sign him? And why didn't we trade for Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul etc. and sign Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion or keep Gallo like he wanted?

It's stupid to sign a coach and then not provide him with his kind of players.

On the other hand: If he was only signed as a fill-in to play some entertaining ball in 2008 and 2009 until Lebron etc. arrive, why on earth did we keep him beyond 2010?

Atrocious job by the Knicks, the whole rebuilding plan is just a bad joke, we don't have a philosophy at all.

Donnie had one, I'm sure but he was sent away before he could finish the job.

It's unfair to blame one guy, it's not D'Antoni's fault or Melo's fault or Amare's fault.

They're all good assets in the right constellations, but throwing them all together to hope it's gonna work is amateurish behavior, as if some of us on here did it and not renowned managers and businessmen.
You'd expect better from a professional sports franchise.

James Dolan is the type of guy who buys a good car let's say a Jaguar, but he's not satisfied with it, because he wants a Maybach or RR Phantom, so he trades his Jaguar, but all he ends up with in the end is a Honda Civic with custom paint and $20k rims.

Looking good on the outside, but just a Civic on the inside, with rims who don't help the cars acceleration and speed....

Last edited:

fender0577

Rotation player
Problem is once you account for defense, Iggy turns out to be quite OK.

If Melo played harder defense then this wouldn't be an issue
:agreed::agreed::agreed:

:agreed::agreed:But let me ask you guys a question, do you consider NASH, DIRK, D williams, K durant, Elite?Because none of those guys are good defenders either, you can watch the tape or check the stats, all of the have comparable stats, to melo on the defensive end(some worst).Next were going to sitting in here, saying Bruce Bowen is better than melo.People, there are very few players, who are actually great on both ends of the floor, it's very rare.Name the top 10 players n the NBA, how many of them are actually,"elite" on both ends?Honestly, i think we should hold off on melo, for a while at least, until he gets a new coach, who'll utilize him correctly.

Kiyaman

Legend
fire the coach and change the system

Once we FIRE Dantoni.....we will have a winning postseason roster from the leadership of Tyson/Stat/Melo.....
the talent level we have on this Knicks roster will be outstanding once we have a halfcourt system with design plays for several players to score, and a help-defensive system where we dont have Pierce & Dirk shooting over our smaller players, or Stat defending Parker on the peremeter. We need a coach that knows what tandem or trio of players play best together on offense or defense.

In the Knicks last 3 games we watch coach Doc Rivers system, coach Rick Carlisle system, and the NBA best unified offense/defense system from Spurs strategic coach Pop.

Where's the logic in keeping a weak coach (who had very little success in the NBA) over proven talent in the NBA? This team will do way better under new leadership.