Carmelo Anthony is not an elite player

Eventually they will fire him. Mark my words: we will not be more successful without him. This team is poorly crafted. Firing the coach is always the easiest options. If you want to be a hands-on owner, you need to know your stuff. Dolan isn't that knowledgeable. We are stuck with him. When Melo was out with that groin injury, we were winning. It is always a sure sign of an ill-designed team if addition by subtraction is working.

That's my concern too.

I've been saying it for months, even before Linsanity.

Ultimately it comes down to either STAT and D'Antoni or Melo and a traditional coach and traditional PF.

I mean melo is different from the elite scorers, in the way that he simply does NOT enter the inside lane that much. What he likes, is by luck, throwing some midranges like Yao Ming or what not. He isn't really having advantages in height, and he's lucky, plus he probably does practice that a lot, so his midranges are decent. But his problem is, that when you're a star (kobe/Lebron/wade/melo), you start to feel like air. You start to make shots under excess pressure. It's good ONLY for the end-of-game time, but not good if you simply do that constantly. While Kobe uses spins, penetrations, all sorts of things, Melo doesn't. He pretty much goes down to the paint and expect fouls. and he doesn't get that many calls, but instead, he gets blocked or simply he can't even make it. He is a rich tragedy. another Larry Hughes

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo has never been a top-10 player in the NBA....
Melo is one of the top-3 highest scorer in the NBA for 6 seasons in his 9 season
career....big reason to FIRE the So-Call offensive-coach Dantoni lol.

Its a big difference between what LaMarcus Aldridge bring to the table for his team,
and what Melo brings to his team....what the two have in common is WINS.

The number-one quality of a NBA Top-10 player are his Team-Leadership....
the reason why Derrick Rose won the MVP lastseason.
:smokin::gony: :smokin:

Den318

Benchwarmer
I mean melo is different from the elite scorers, in the way that he simply does NOT enter the inside lane that much. What he likes, is by luck, throwing some midranges like Yao Ming or what not. He isn't really having advantages in height, and he's lucky, plus he probably does practice that a lot, so his midranges are decent. But his problem is, that when you're a star (kobe/Lebron/wade/melo), you start to feel like air. You start to make shots under excess pressure. It's good ONLY for the end-of-game time, but not good if you simply do that constantly. While Kobe uses spins, penetrations, all sorts of things, Melo doesn't. He pretty much goes down to the paint and expect fouls. and he doesn't get that many calls, but instead, he gets blocked or simply he can't even make it. He is a rich tragedy. another Larry Hughes

If Melo's shots aren't falling like this year, he is completely useless. He does nothing on the court to help the team if he shots are not falling.

nyk_nyk

All Star
No, absolutely not. You're spot on with that and I was not trying to deny that. Maybe a sloppy attempt at analyzing things by me, call me a fake journalist, I don't know :smokin:

It was more of an attempt to analyze things and why we are where we are (which is nomansland, atleast it feels like nomansland). 7 good games are succeeded by 4 or 5 bad games...then the cycle repeats it seems.

If D'Antoni has to go - he has to go. I don't have a problem with that.

But let's part ways in a civilized way with him. I don't think he's a horrible coach, an idiot or the sole person to blame for our struggles.
I think with the right roster he can still have success, maybe not a championship but winning a division, maybe even a conference can be possible with him in charge.

Let'S fire him, I don't have a problem with that, but let's say "Thank you for your services, it just didn't fit. The best for the future."

Rather than: "**** off you clueless half italian idiot. You're not fit to coach in this league and SSOL sucked from day one."

I think he doesn't deserve treatement like that, because he didn't pull an Isiah. :teeth:

I can respect that. I don't know him on a personal level, so obviously I don't hate the guy. I'd just prefer him gone from the organization and doing it in a cordial manner is fine by me. I love the Knicks and I just want to see them succeed.

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
fire the coach and change the system

Word!!!

D'antoni had an MVP PG a young stud Amare and sharpshooters all around. perfect conditions for his run of success.

No way lightning will strike like that twice for him..switch your style up D'antoni or move the F over.

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
The coach was hired to bring his then highly valued system here.

Fire the people who hired the coach and/or the people who traded for a max. player who doesn't fit into the system of a coach who was specifically hired to bring his system to New York.

I hate to dwell on it guys, I really do but as long as Dolan and several short term GMs are planning our present AND future we're forever stuck in a dead end.

Melo, Amare etc. they're all good players, but they only work well in specific constellations:

- Amar'e needs a great pick and roll PG with experience, he needs to play center to outmaneuver people and he needs SSOL to be a beast on offense.

- Melo needs the ball about 90% of the time, a lot of iso plays and a lot of dirty work guys who play defense for him, make all the hustle plays and sacrifice themselves for him, so he can be that deadly scorer that he once was and probably still is in the right system for him.

Melo's system
bd0d5f08997b7a4ad8598963f7e50231.png
Amare's system.

That's why they both look worse together than they look apart. Both good players on their own, just not made to play together.

Might be different if we had drafted them both and developed to play side by side....who knows, we never really had our draft picks around 2002-2004.

And D'Antoni: Good coach, but he needs a franchise PG like Nash, Williams, Paul, maybe Kidd AND a lot of great shooters. He never had that in New York, add the fact that Melo doesn't fit into his system and he looks pretty bad coaching wise.

Our front office has to be the worst in the NBA over the last 12 years or so, I mean all those stupid trades under Scott Layden like Camby and Nene for an injury prone Dice (who played 5 games or so in 2 years for us).

Spree for Keith Van Horn :countdown: etc.

Then Isiah took over and pissed away our next 5-6 years, all well documented.

Finally we hired a good GM in Donnie Walsh, but they didn't give him any time (2 years are a damn joke to rebuild a franchise). He did a pretty good job, but wasn't allowed to finish his project and the work he did in 2 years was thrown out of the window in one night.

And this is where we are now. Grunwald has done a decent job this season, kudos to him, but all he can do is try to make minor tweaks and fix some things here and there. He can't correct our 'trinity of death' Melo-Amar'e-D'Antoni. Those 3 aren't made for each other.

One has to go, that much is obvious, if it's D'ANtoni we as fans should ask the question why he was hired in the first place. I mean I never was a fan of his philosophy in Phoenix and I still don't think it'S right for the Eastern Conference and New York in particular now, but why on earth did we hire him in the first place?

Everybody knew what D'ANtoni was all about!? Why did we hire him and then didn't give him the right players for his system?
Imo we can't blame D'Antoni, you can't buy a Playstation and then expect to play XBox games on it, but that's pretty much what we the fanbase and our beloved owner do and did over the last couple of seasons.

If we wanted players like Melo etc. why did we sign D'Antoni?
And why did we sign him anyway to a team that plays in a city where defense and hustle are valued most and more than 120 points a night.

I actually have to give him (D'Antoni) some credit, he tried to adjust his system and abandoned SSOL after the Melo trade, unfortunately he'S a one trick pony and the only trick he knows well is SSOL and how to win with it, BUT that was known in 2008 for christ's sake?!

So again: Why did we sign him? And why didn't we trade for Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul etc. and sign Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion or keep Gallo like he wanted?

It's stupid to sign a coach and then not provide him with his kind of players.

On the other hand: If he was only signed as a fill-in to play some entertaining ball in 2008 and 2009 until Lebron etc. arrive, why on earth did we keep him beyond 2010?

Atrocious job by the Knicks, the whole rebuilding plan is just a bad joke, we don't have a philosophy at all.

Donnie had one, I'm sure but he was sent away before he could finish the job.

It's unfair to blame one guy, it's not D'Antoni's fault or Melo's fault or Amare's fault.

They're all good assets in the right constellations, but throwing them all together to hope it's gonna work is amateurish behavior, as if some of us on here did it and not renowned managers and businessmen.
You'd expect better from a professional sports franchise.

James Dolan is the type of guy who buys a good car let's say a Jaguar, but he's not satisfied with it, because he wants a Maybach or RR Phantom, so he trades his Jaguar, but all he ends up with in the end is a Honda Civic with custom paint and $20k rims.

Looking good on the outside, but just a Civic on the inside, with rims who don't help the cars acceleration and speed....

Dantoni got us Amare, Amare got us Melo. Got butts in seats and still plenty of talent .

Business wise...clever basketball wise...need to make the best of what we got. Still a lot more talent than past years.

Dantoni was the bait...we got the fish....

Time for a new voice

kinein

Benchwarmer
Its amazing how many people ignored the article in the 1st post and also ignore the 30% volume shooting for Melo.

He is good but not top 5 right now.

There isnt any passion or heart behind his play. He isn't angry when he misses 3/4 vital free throws in the 4th. He doesn't hustle defensively or rebound wise.

Hello 3 pt airball in the vital last 5 minutes of play.

I see a lot of denial.

I just keep hearing mob whining about D'antoni. Its not his fault these guys don't want it. Rah rah speeches are nice but the players themselves need to be hungry and at the end of practice - they are still the ones performing on the floor.

metrocard

Legend
Its amazing how many people ignored the article in the 1st post and also ignore the 30% volume shooting for Melo.

He is good but not top 5 right now.

There isnt any passion or heart behind his play. He isn't angry when he misses 3/4 vital free throws in the 4th. He doesn't hustle defensively or rebound wise.

Hello 3 pt airball in the vital last 5 minutes of play.

I see a lot of denial.

I just keep hearing mob whining about D'antoni. Its not his fault these guys don't want it. Rah rah speeches are nice but the players themselves need to be hungry and at the end of practice - they are still the ones performing on the floor.

Exactly...how can you coach this?

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Carmelo Anthony took so many bad shots- he really specializes in getting the ball, holding it for five seconds, and then doing an off balance turnaround jumper from a bad angle and barely htiting the rim- that's his shot. Or else he chucks up a three pointer with 15 seconds left on the shot clock- anything rather than keep the flow of the ball movement going until they get a good shot. Anthony is very over-rated- he is not a good team player, and his shot selection is awful. They should trade Anthony for a player with good defense and rebounding who can also fit in with a fast-paced game,. if they can get one.

FireCoachD

Benchwarmer
I'm pretty sure most people didn't consider Carmelo a top 5 player even before he became a Knick, but we still wanted him. There is not an abundance of great players that wanted to come here. Part of the problem is D'antoni and Walsh didn't want Melo but the fans did so the owner brought him in. This is a tough situation and I think Melo is trying to adapt. People need to stop bashing him so hard and give him a bit more time to get acclimated. He played pretty well over the past few games compared to earlier in the season so we'll see!

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Melo is the best scorer on this team and he has always been a poor defender throughout his career. We'd better learn to deal with it because he is not going anywhere.

All I ask is for Melo to start playing like the all-world scorer that he was and I can forgive him for sleepwalking on defense.

iSaYughh

Starter
Melo is the best scorer on this team and he has always been a poor defender throughout his career. We'd better learn to deal with it because he is not going anywhere.

All I ask is for Melo to start playing like the all-world scorer that he was and I can forgive him for sleepwalking on defense.

Melo can play pretty decent D, too.

Idk what the **** is going on. It's like Amare has infected him, and brought out the worst in his mental game and defensive(less) style.

VeryGundy

Benchwarmer
Melo can play pretty decent D, too.

Idk what the **** is going on. It's like Amare has infected him, and brought out the worst in his mental game and defensive(less) style.

I've been watching a lot of Lakers since I moved out here to LA and Kobe's defense is no better than Melo. He does, however, score a lot of points and hit a lot of game-winning or game-tying baskets.

I can live with their shitty defense if Melo and Stat can score more points on the other end to make up for their defensive sucktitude.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Is it just me or are the Knicks better when Melo takes fewer shots? I'd like to see the ball in Amare's hands more. Back in the day, the offense ran through the center or PF, as specially if you had a dominant one that can score.

iSaYughh

Starter
Is it just me or are the Knicks better when Melo takes fewer shots? I'd like to see the ball in Amare's hands more. Back in the day, the offense ran through the center or PF, as specially if you had a dominant one that can score.

+1, good point to bring up.

Melo's greatest asset as a scorer is his ability to create for himself, create in broken down plays as the go to guy, and to be the go to guy in crunch time spots who can ice games (and play series').

His volume scoring isn't what defines him as a good player -- if anything, volume scoring is what has marked his downfall from being a great player.

Amare has played like shit for a while, tho...but he seems to be kicking up his gears some, so hopefully he can regain his scoring dominance.

Stoudemire was possibly the best inside finisher in the entire NBA, up until this year, and one of the most efficient scorers as a result.

Ideally, we run a fast paced offense with lots of possessions -- that lets everybody eat. STAT with the type of shot volume that makes him a 22+ scorer with .550+ fg% efficiency, and leaving Melo with enough shots to be a 25ppg scorer, based off him finishing shot clock possessions/mid range game/and playing off the double or tripple Effective STAT would receive on the inside.

In theory, this should be possible. But you need both the PG to run the offense and push the pace -- which we just recently got.

And you need all the players' to buy into it -- which includes no laziness, and an understanding and respect for spacing and ball movement.

Den318

Benchwarmer

Knicks are better when Melo takes fewer shots because he is shooting 40%. He should be taking less shots and help the team in other ways, like playing D. If his shots are falling like the "old" Melo, he can take as many shots as he wants and no one will complain.