Carmelo Anthony is not an elite player

phantom9000

Benchwarmer
this is an article i found on espn insider

Carmelo Anthony has averaged 20 points per game every season since he arrived in the NBA. This past campaign, he became the third-youngest player ever to reach the 10,000-point plateau, behind only Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. And next summer, he could hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent.
But despite all those gaudy point totals, the three-time All-Star may not even be worth the max deal a team would likely give him in 2011.
<offer></offer>
At first glance, Anthony seems like a member of the NBA's elite, largely due to his scoring prowess. But a deeper look at the points column and elsewhere in his game reveals a player who lives on an undeserved reputation more than his actual impact on wins.
It's tough to argue with his 28.2 points-per-game average in '09-10, but in the game of basketball, how a shooter gets his points is more meaningful than the raw number itself. To see that, we need to peel back the layers.
Let's first talk about Anthony's shot volume. It's not exactly a secret that 'Melo likes to shoot the rock, but his propensity to launch shots may raise some eyebrows. This past season, no player in the NBA took more shots per minute than Anthony -- not Kobe, not LeBron, not even scoring champ Kevin Durant.
It may seem obvious that a player worthy of 20 shots per game would have a healthy conversion rate. But in Anthony's case, that's far from the truth. Anthony, in reality, had a below-average field goal percentage (.458) this past season -- and his career percentage (.459) is no different. (The league average is .463.)
The sharp readers out there will point out that traditional field goal percentage doesn't reflect Anthony's shooting ability, since he launches a healthy dose of 3-pointers, which obviously count more on the scoreboard. That's true. But if you've been paying attention, you know Anthony is not a good shooter from beyond the arc, so that doesn't help his case. As a career .308 percent 3-point shooter, his shot from downtown ranks far below the norm (the average small forward shot .349 last season; Melo shot .316) and any progress he seemingly made in 2008-09, when he shot a career-high .371, disappeared. Even if we incorporate the added point bonus of a 3-pointer, the Syracuse product's shooting percentages are, at best, average.
It seems that, anyway we slice it, Anthony is a gunner at the core. His exceptional skill on offense is his ability to get his shot off, whether it's attacking the rim or through a patented pull-up jumper on the perimeter. But interestingly enough, Anthony got his shot blocked a whopping 109 times last season, which ranks as the second-highest total in the league, according to Hoopdata.com. Evidently, he doesn't lack perseverance.
Anthony's case illustrates a fundamental problem in conventional basketball analysis: scoring averages don't reflect efficiency. It's true that Anthony scored 28.2 points per game last season, but it's also true that no player missed more shots as often as Anthony did. Feel free to credit his skill but also pay attention his lofty shot volume and playing time.
And that's before we consider the disguise of team pace. Since Anthony entered the league, the Denver Nuggets have averaged 95.9 possessions per game, which places them as the third -fastest squad in the NBA over that period of time (and just a fraction behind the high-octane Phoenix Suns). Over that same span, the Nuggets have squeezed out an extra four possessions per game when compared to the average NBA team. Do the math, and the Nuggets have enjoyed nearly 2,000 extra possessions above the norm since Anthony joined the NBA. That's a ton of extra opportunities that can pad the per-game stats used as measuring sticks.
So after stripping out the inflationary effect of fast pace and boiling down Anthony's numbers to a per possession level, his scoring punch looks even more pedestrian. How pedestrian? Anthony's career offensive rating, an efficiency measure that calculates how many points a player produces per 100 possessions he uses, checks out at 107, which sits right at the league average. For reference, 2003 draft-mates James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have earned 114, 111, and 113 lifetime offensive ratings, respectively.
Before we prematurely call Anthony an average player, there is something to be said for the burden of trust. Not every player can still perform while shouldering the heavy scoring responsibility that Anthony has endured. But the Nuggets have probably allowed Anthony to shoot far too often if efficiency -- and winning -- is their goal. In fact, last season Melo was only sixth on his own team in ORtg (110), trailing far behind other legit weapons like Nene (124), Chauncey Billups (120) and Ty Lawson (118).
Aside from scoring, Anthony doesn't have many other bankable weapons as a player. His rebounding (career 6.2 rpg) is only slightly better than what we'd expect from a small forward, and he doesn't create opportunities for his teammates like Paul Pierce, Wade and James can. Furthermore, he hasn't shown the intensity and dedication on the defensive end that you'd want from a max player.
In the end, Anthony's game demonstrates why it's important to strip away the biases that color our perceptions of elite players. In Anthony's case, the excessive shot volume, his team's stat-padding tempo and the lack of a true 3-point game makes his 28.2 ppg seem far less impressive than his sparkling reputation would suggest.
If anything, it's time we moved on from per-game statistics to evaluate our players. Millions of dollars are wasted every year basing player value on the archaic statistics that teams used half a century ago. And someone will surely overpay Anthony and offer him a max contract -- just look at the deals Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay got.
If the New York Knicks, rumored to be the favorites to land Melo if he decides to leave Denver, are expecting salvation from Anthony next summer, they're going to be very disappointed with their investment. It would be a much a wiser move to throw that cash toward the pursuit of Chris Paul, a real max player.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Considering Bosh would have been given one, I don't see why Melo wouldn't. Yes, he's not a MAX player, but I'd say he's worth the max since we do have nice young pieces on our team.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
ThumbsDown.jpg

shaolin

Benchwarmer
LOL! If Melo isn't elite, then there are only 6/7 elite players in the league at most. I would say that the top 10-15 players are elite.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
thats it come on hes easily top 3 or top 5

I happen to agree with you wholeheartedly (I'd probably have him 5th behind Kobe, Lebron, Durant, and Howard) but I could see where others wouldn't so I left some 'reasonable' wiggle room. The point is that the notion of melo not being an 'elite' NBA player is verifiably insane

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
Lol its funny I agree with some of this. But Melo is better then what this article is making him out to be. Theres a ton of scrubs in the NBA. Melos game speaks for itself. He is more underrated then overrated in my opinion. Just like in college and USA basketball hes gonna deliver a NBA championship. You watch. Melo is a champ, and his resume proves it.

Like I stated before.

JR SMITH
CHRIS ANDERSON
KENYON MARTIN

all scrubs.

Carmelo Anthony is the only reason that team has gone to the playoffs sense he has been there every year. Remember the nuggets without the MELO MAN. While some of this is true it is overly exaggerated for the most part. If Melo is not elite what the hell is he. upper tear. haha lol. Carmelo wins games by himself over most nba teams. You put some good players on the team that arent headcases and dont just talk( k martin jr smith) then he can beat the lakers and the heat and anybody for that matter.

Hate on Hataaaa!

Paul1355

All Star
Melo needs a good point guard, like Cauncey Billups.

Felton would be a nice PG with him....Melo with a good PG is an elite player, without a PG he is not elite but right under.

You can argue that he has as much upside and talent offensively than ANY player in the NBA.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Are you effing kidding me??? Melo is one of the TOP players in the ENTIRE league. He's no doubt elite AND a max player.

Would you agree that he could change the course of a franchise? Yes = Elite

Breaking down all his shots like that is meaningless. He can bring it to anyone in the league on any night. His mid-range game is excellent and he can get to the rim and draw fouls with the best of them. He's also a good rebounder. If he were playing for a bigger market we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Melo=MAX No team would offer him less.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Paul, Durant, Gasol, Nash, Williams, Dirk are all better than Carmelo.

Carmelo is Glenn Robinson in a high paced offense, I'm telling you guys.

LOL! Glenn Robinson has no impacted the Bucks and other teams like Melo did with the Nuggets. The year before his rookie season Denver won 17 games, and his rookie year, they won 43 games. He makes a huge difference. That was without a legit PG, big man, and not much of a bench.

You have zero credibility.

metrocard

Legend
LOL! Glenn Robinson has no impacted the Bucks and other teams like Melo did with the Nuggets. The year before his rookie season Denver won 17 games, and his rookie year, they won 43 games. He makes a huge difference. That was without a legit PG, big man, and not much of a bench.

You have zero credibility.

shaq.gif

How is someone who no credibility and just joined this site is going to tell me I have no credibility?

You're the same moron who ranks Carmelo over the 2nd best PG in the league in Williams, the MVP's in Nash and Dirk and the best center in the NBA in Dwight Howard. I can't take you seriously. Be gone.

shaolin

Benchwarmer
How is someone who no credibility and just joined this site is going to tell me I have no credibility?

You're the same moron who ranks Carmelo over the 2nd best PG in the league in Williams, the MVP's in Nash and Dirk and the best center in the NBA in Dwight Howard. I can't take you seriously. Be gone.

LOL! WOW! Didn't mean to hit a nerve. I would rank him over Howard and Williams, and even Dirk. Dirk is a great offensive threat, but is a huge liability on D. I have seen him get burned so many times defensively, whereas Melo can hold his own. Nash, again, a huge defensive liability, but to me is defenitely a top 10. If you like to place Williams above him, then, heh whatever. It's fairly subjective. There is going to be a balance of objectivity and subjectivity in the valuation of anyhing, right? Players, credit risk, price of houses, etc. This is no different. But he is an elite player. Have you seen LBJ try to guard him. Let's say worse case scenario

1. Kobe
2. LBJ
3. Wade
4. CP3 (only if healthy, if not, he probably isn't top 10)
5. Durant
6. Williams
7. Howard
8. Melo
9. Dirk
10. Nash

You want to put Dirk and Nash ahead of him, he is still top 10. I just couldn't do that on my list. I think Howard is a game changer. His offensive game is still very underdeveloped that it really affects his ability to make his team that much better on the offensive side. I know he demands double teams at times. But he is a horrible passer and he continually spins or drives himself into trouble. The celtics knew this and make him get himself into trouble. He could be a top 3 guy, but still is far away from that point. I would put Melo over Howard, because his game is so complete. He averaged 30 a game with ease in the past 2 years in the playoffs. Kobe has said that he is the hardest guy he has guarded the past few years. Melo is a defensive nightmare and one of the best pure scorers the past 10 years in the NBA. He has no glarring weakness, but still needs to improve other aspects of his game.

Toons

is the Bo$$
anthony shoots a high volume because he has to. this is like the same arguement for allen iverson on the old sixers, with him being a volume shooter, who was he going to pass to? eric snow? matt geiger? tyrone hill? their best shooter had to be aaron mckee and he was on his las leg. Who is melo going to pass to? a streaky jr smith, who hoists 3's more than al harrington? maybe birdman to hit down the mid range jumper, or nene. look at melo on the olympic team, he is a born leader, a go to guy, definitely a max contract kind of player. if he isnt....who is??

nyk_nyk

All Star
Paul, Durant, Gasol, Nash, Williams, Dirk are all better than Carmelo.

Carmelo is Glenn Robinson in a high paced offense, I'm telling you guys.

Melo is a much better scorer and player than Robinson AND let's not forget that the Bucks only had 1 good season when they won 52 games with him.

G. Robinson
<TABLE id=per_game class="sortable stats_table"><THEAD><TR onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=left sorttable_columnindex="0" table_number="2">Season</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=middle sorttable_columnindex="1" table_number="2">Age</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" onmouseover="Tip('Team')" align=left sorttable_columnindex="2" table_number="2">Tm</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" onmouseover="Tip('League')" align=left sorttable_columnindex="3" table_number="2">Lg</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Games')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="4" table_number="2">G</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Games Started')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="5" table_number="2">GS</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Minutes Played Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="6" table_number="2">MP</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Field Goals Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="7" table_number="2">FG</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Field Goal Attempts Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="8" table_number="2">FGA</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Field Goal Percentage')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="9" table_number="2">FG%</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('3-Point Field Goals Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="10" table_number="2">3P</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('3-Point Field Goal Attempts Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="11" table_number="2">3PA</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('3-Point Field Goal Percentage')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="12" table_number="2">3P%</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Free Throws Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="13" table_number="2">FT</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Free Throw Attempts Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="14" table_number="2">FTA</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Free Throw Percentage')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="15" table_number="2">FT%</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Offensive Rebounds Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="16" table_number="2">ORB</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Defensive Rebounds Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="17" table_number="2">DRB</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Total Rebounds Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="18" table_number="2">TRB</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Assists Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="19" table_number="2">AST</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Steals Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="20" table_number="2">STL</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Blocks Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="21" table_number="2">BLK</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Turnovers Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="22" table_number="2">TOV</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Personal Fouls Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="23" table_number="2">PF</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Points Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="24" table_number="2">PTS</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffa" class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>1994-95</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=left>MIL</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>80</TD><TD align=right>76</TD><TD align=right>37.0</TD><TD align=right>8.0</TD><TD align=right>17.6</TD><TD align=right>.451</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>3.4</TD><TD align=right>.321</TD><TD align=right>5.0</TD><TD align=right>6.2</TD><TD align=right>.796</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>4.3</TD><TD align=right>6.4</TD><TD align=right>2.5</TD><TD align=right>1.4</TD><TD align=right>0.3</TD><TD align=right>3.9</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>21.9</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>1995-96</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>MIL</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>82</TD><TD align=right>82</TD><TD align=right>39.6</TD><TD align=right>7.6</TD><TD align=right>16.9</TD><TD align=right>.454</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>3.2</TD><TD align=right>.342</TD><TD align=right>3.9</TD><TD align=right>4.7</TD><TD align=right>.812</TD><TD align=right>1.7</TD><TD align=right>4.5</TD><TD align=right>6.1</TD><TD align=right>3.6</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>0.5</TD><TD align=right>3.4</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>20.2</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>1996-97</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=left>MIL</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>80</TD><TD align=right>79</TD><TD align=right>38.9</TD><TD align=right>8.4</TD><TD align=right>18.0</TD><TD align=right>.465</TD><TD align=right>0.8</TD><TD align=right>2.3</TD><TD align=right>.350</TD><TD align=right>3.6</TD><TD align=right>4.6</TD><TD align=right>.791</TD><TD align=right>1.6</TD><TD align=right>4.7</TD><TD align=right>6.3</TD><TD align=right>3.1</TD><TD align=right>1.3</TD><TD align=right>0.9</TD><TD align=right>3.4</TD><TD align=right>2.8</TD><TD align=right>21.1</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>1997-98</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=left>MIL</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>56</TD><TD align=right>56</TD><TD align=right>41.0</TD><TD align=right>9.5</TD><TD align=right>20.3</TD><TD align=right>.470</TD><TD align=right>0.4</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>.385</TD><TD align=right>3.8</TD><TD align=right>4.8</TD><TD align=right>.808</TD><TD align=right>1.5</TD><TD align=right>4.0</TD><TD align=right>5.5</TD><TD align=right>2.8</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>0.6</TD><TD align=right>3.6</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>23.4</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>1998-99</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=left>MIL</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>47</TD><TD align=right>47</TD><TD align=right>33.6</TD><TD align=right>7.4</TD><TD align=right>16.1</TD><TD align=right>.459</TD><TD align=right>0.7</TD><TD align=right>1.7</TD><TD align=right>.392</TD><TD align=right>3.0</TD><TD align=right>3.4</TD><TD align=right>.870</TD><TD align=right>1.6</TD><TD align=right>4.3</TD><TD align=right>5.9</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>1.0</TD><TD align=right>0.9</TD><TD align=right>2.3</TD><TD align=right>2.4</TD><TD align=right>18.4</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>1999-00</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>MIL</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>81</TD><TD align=right>81</TD><TD align=right>35.9</TD><TD align=right>8.5</TD><TD align=right>18.0</TD><TD align=right>.472</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>.363</TD><TD align=right>2.8</TD><TD align=right>3.5</TD><TD align=right>.802</TD><TD align=right>1.3</TD><TD align=right>4.7</TD><TD align=right>6.0</TD><TD align=right>2.4</TD><TD align=right>1.0</TD><TD align=right>0.5</TD><TD align=right>2.8</TD><TD align=right>2.6</TD><TD align=right>20.9</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2000-01</TD><TD align=right>28</TD><TD align=left>MIL</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>76</TD><TD align=right>74</TD><TD align=right>37.0</TD><TD align=right>9.0</TD><TD align=right>19.2</TD><TD align=right>.468</TD><TD align=right>0.7</TD><TD align=right>2.4</TD><TD align=right>.299</TD><TD align=right>3.3</TD><TD align=right>4.0</TD><TD align=right>.820</TD><TD align=right>1.6</TD><TD align=right>5.3</TD><TD align=right>6.9</TD><TD align=right>3.3</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>0.8</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>2.5</TD><TD align=right>22.0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

C. Anthony
<TABLE id=per_game class="sortable stats_table"><THEAD><TR onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=left sorttable_columnindex="0" table_number="2">Season</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=middle sorttable_columnindex="1" table_number="2">Age</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" onmouseover="Tip('Team')" align=left sorttable_columnindex="2" table_number="2">Tm</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" onmouseover="Tip('League')" align=left sorttable_columnindex="3" table_number="2">Lg</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Games')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="4" table_number="2">G</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Games Started')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="5" table_number="2">GS</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Minutes Played Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="6" table_number="2">MP</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Field Goals Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="7" table_number="2">FG</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Field Goal Attempts Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="8" table_number="2">FGA</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Field Goal Percentage')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="9" table_number="2">FG%</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('3-Point Field Goals Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="10" table_number="2">3P</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('3-Point Field Goal Attempts Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="11" table_number="2">3PA</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('3-Point Field Goal Percentage')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="12" table_number="2">3P%</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Free Throws Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="13" table_number="2">FT</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Free Throw Attempts Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="14" table_number="2">FTA</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Free Throw Percentage')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="15" table_number="2">FT%</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Offensive Rebounds Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="16" table_number="2">ORB</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Defensive Rebounds Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="17" table_number="2">DRB</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Total Rebounds Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="18" table_number="2">TRB</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Assists Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="19" table_number="2">AST</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Steals Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="20" table_number="2">STL</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Blocks Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="21" table_number="2">BLK</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Turnovers Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="22" table_number="2">TOV</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Personal Fouls Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="23" table_number="2">PF</TH><TH class=tooltip onmouseover="Tip('Points Per Game')" align=right sorttable_columnindex="24" table_number="2">PTS</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffa" class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2003-04</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=left>DEN</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>82</TD><TD align=right>82</TD><TD align=right>36.5</TD><TD align=right>7.6</TD><TD align=right>17.9</TD><TD align=right>.426</TD><TD align=right>0.8</TD><TD align=right>2.6</TD><TD align=right>.322</TD><TD align=right>5.0</TD><TD align=right>6.4</TD><TD align=right>.777</TD><TD align=right>2.2</TD><TD align=right>3.8</TD><TD align=right>6.1</TD><TD align=right>2.8</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>0.5</TD><TD align=right>3.0</TD><TD align=right>2.7</TD><TD align=right>21.0</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2004-05</TD><TD align=right>20</TD><TD align=left>DEN</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>75</TD><TD align=right>75</TD><TD align=right>34.8</TD><TD align=right>7.1</TD><TD align=right>16.4</TD><TD align=right>.431</TD><TD align=right>0.6</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>.266</TD><TD align=right>6.1</TD><TD align=right>7.6</TD><TD align=right>.796</TD><TD align=right>1.9</TD><TD align=right>3.8</TD><TD align=right>5.7</TD><TD align=right>2.6</TD><TD align=right>0.9</TD><TD align=right>0.4</TD><TD align=right>3.0</TD><TD align=right>3.1</TD><TD align=right>20.8</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2005-06</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=left>DEN</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>80</TD><TD align=right>80</TD><TD align=right>36.8</TD><TD align=right>9.5</TD><TD align=right>19.7</TD><TD align=right>.481</TD><TD align=right>0.5</TD><TD align=right>1.9</TD><TD align=right>.243</TD><TD align=right>7.2</TD><TD align=right>8.9</TD><TD align=right>.808</TD><TD align=right>1.5</TD><TD align=right>3.4</TD><TD align=right>4.9</TD><TD align=right>2.7</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>0.5</TD><TD align=right>2.7</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>26.5</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2006-07</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=left>DEN</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>65</TD><TD align=right>65</TD><TD align=right>38.2</TD><TD align=right>10.6</TD><TD align=right>22.4</TD><TD align=right>.476</TD><TD align=right>0.6</TD><TD align=right>2.3</TD><TD align=right>.268</TD><TD align=right>7.1</TD><TD align=right>8.7</TD><TD align=right>.808</TD><TD align=right>2.2</TD><TD align=right>3.8</TD><TD align=right>6.0</TD><TD align=right>3.8</TD><TD align=right>1.2</TD><TD align=right>0.4</TD><TD align=right>3.6</TD><TD align=right>3.1</TD><TD align=right>28.9</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2007-08</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>DEN</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>77</TD><TD align=right>77</TD><TD align=right>36.4</TD><TD align=right>9.5</TD><TD align=right>19.2</TD><TD align=right>.492</TD><TD align=right>0.8</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>.354</TD><TD align=right>6.0</TD><TD align=right>7.7</TD><TD align=right>.786</TD><TD align=right>2.3</TD><TD align=right>5.1</TD><TD align=right>7.4</TD><TD align=right>3.4</TD><TD align=right>1.3</TD><TD align=right>0.5</TD><TD align=right>3.3</TD><TD align=right>3.3</TD><TD align=right>25.7</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2008-09</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=left>DEN</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>66</TD><TD align=right>66</TD><TD align=right>34.5</TD><TD align=right>8.1</TD><TD align=right>18.3</TD><TD align=right>.443</TD><TD align=right>1.0</TD><TD align=right>2.6</TD><TD align=right>.371</TD><TD align=right>5.6</TD><TD align=right>7.1</TD><TD align=right>.793</TD><TD align=right>1.6</TD><TD align=right>5.2</TD><TD align=right>6.8</TD><TD align=right>3.4</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>0.4</TD><TD align=right>3.0</TD><TD align=right>3.0</TD><TD align=right>22.8</TD></TR><TR class=full_table onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left>2009-10</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=left>DEN</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=right>69</TD><TD align=right>69</TD><TD align=right>38.2</TD><TD align=right>10.0</TD><TD align=right>21.8</TD><TD align=right>.458</TD><TD align=right>0.9</TD><TD align=right>2.7</TD><TD align=right>.316</TD><TD align=right>7.4</TD><TD align=right>8.9</TD><TD align=right>.830</TD><TD align=right>2.2</TD><TD align=right>4.4</TD><TD align=right>6.6</TD><TD align=right>3.2</TD><TD align=right>1.3</TD><TD align=right>0.4</TD><TD align=right>3.0</TD><TD align=right>3.3</TD><TD align=right>28.2</TD></TR></TBODY><TFOOT><TR class=" stat_total" onmouseover=hl(this); onmouseout=uhl(this);><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TFOOT></TABLE>

iJoe

Rotation player
I don't think the article takes into account Melo's free throws. This guy gets to the line pretty easily due to how hard it is to guard him.

Its not all wrong. He isn't a good 3 shooter. He does go a little too shot happy, but thats also due to the coaching staff.

I think if he just posted up more, he'd be unstoppable and build up his shot %. This guy is unstoppable inside. He can shut down his man on the rare occasion where he feels up to it, but he rarely wants to spend energy there.

Hes a star, but I don't think he's top 5 until he proves he can make his teammates better.