Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randolph is not a Center!!

Default Randolph is not a Center!!

He will probably play some minutes at the 5, but he should not start at the 5. He is not a center. That's it!

Originally Posted by shaolin
    He will probably play some minutes at the 5, but he should not start at the 5. He is not a center. That's it!

LOL! Nice touch with the pic. Many people think he is and have him as a center in their projected starting rotation. Nice try! I give you an A for effort though.

Do you think Camby is a Center?

I still don't think Randolph should start at the 5. He can play spotty minutes there. Camby can play center, but Camby's game is very different from Randolph's. I see Randolph more comfortable at the 3/4, whereas Camby is more of a natural 5.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Do you think Camby is a Center?
    Dude...Camby is a shot blocking, rebounding, defensive clog-the middle type guy. Anthony Randolph is a long, stretch/run the floor type guy with a high octane offensive game. Two totally different games.

I disagree. I see him as a more atheltic and better ball handling version of Camby. They are virtually the same size. In fact, he is bigger now than Camby was when he played for the Knicks.

He is essentially a shot-blocker and rebounder, as is Camby. He is not a shooter, so he does not "spread the floor" as you suggest.

Those that think he should play SF are crazy. He can occasionally play the 3 or guard Sf's in a rotation. I can see him being a PF because of his size (or lack of), same as Camby. But if he continues to bulk up the way he has, he can definitely play Center.

While I dont beleive Randolph is a Center I do think he can and will play the 5 only because of the system and Stat already at the 4. In a run and gun push the tempo offense.. the last thing you want is a big body clogging the hole and lagging in transition.. ala shaq in Phoenix. a negligable amount of height and size can be countered by quicknes, tempo and ball movement. If we were running a more half court set or a triangle for example then yes i wouldnt see randolph in the 5 spot in any way..

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I disagree. I see him as a more atheltic and better ball handling version of Camby. They are virtually the same size. In fact, he is bigger now than Camby was when he played for the Knicks.

He is essentially a shot-blocker and rebounder, as is Camby. He is not a shooter, so he does not "spread the floor" as you suggest.

Those that think he should play SF are crazy. He can occasionally play the 3 or guard Sf's in a rotation. I can see him being a PF because of his size (or lack of), same as Camby. But if he continues to bulk up the way he has, he can definitely play Center.
    He stretches the floor because teams, when they are on offense, have to worry about this guy getting down court faster than everyone else on a fast break, and they have to worry about him flying in for an offensive rebound even if he is hanging out at the 3 point or foul line. Camby's offensive game is much more stagnant.

Randolph's shot is decent for now. It will improve immensely if he gets to play consistently. Oakley developed a deadly midrange, and so can this kid. He has a good touch on his jumper. Additionally, he has skills which enables him to play along the perimeter and Camby doesn't.

6'11 averaged over 6 rebs and 1.6 blks per game spells Center to me!

No one ever thought that Jared Jefferies would play Center and that was the only thing that made him look somewhat like an NBA player!

Camby comparisons are valid yet may be a bit premature...but think of him as a Rich Man's Jared Jefferies at the Center position!

He represents the best Center that we have had since Mutombo.

Center may not be his natural position, but Mike D will convert him into one and he should do really well

Originally Posted by New New York
    6'11 averaged over 6 rebs and 1.6 blks per game spells Center to me!

No one ever thought that Jared Jefferies would play Center and that was the only thing that made him look somewhat like an NBA player!

Camby comparisons are valid yet may be a bit premature...but think of him as a Rich Man's Jared Jefferies at the Center position!

He represents the best Center that we have had since Mutombo.

Center may not be his natural position, but Mike D will convert him into one and he should do really well
    Man It was Awesome when we had Mutumbo for that season....

If Randolph really did grow to 7ft like the rumors are saying and he gained 20 pounds, That sounds like a center to me.

Originally Posted by KnicksWillRiseAgain
    Man It was Awesome when we had Mutumbo for that season....

If Randolph really did grow to 7ft like the rumors are saying and he gained 20 pounds, That sounds like a center to me.

WHOA!!!!!! If that is true....that is great news for us

Even if he just gained 15 or so that would help us out greatly

Superstar

Default A. Randolh's Size

Shortly after we acquired AR, someone posted an article suggesting by some photo imaging analysis that AR was just under 7' tall. The attached article measured him by counting the pixels in the basketball that AR was holding and then counting the pixels in the imaged length of AR's body. Because the diameter of the basketbal was known, the author was able to calculate AR's height by comparing pixel numbers. The author concluded that AR was 83.11 inches tall or a little over 6'11".

AR was wearing sneakers in the photo and there is no indication that the author made allowance for that. On the other hand, the picture was taken in September of last year. AR, who just turned 21, may well have grown some more in the last 11 months.

As for his weight, it was my understanining that at the time we acquired him he was up to 230 pounds.

I think he can play some center at least when the very big 5s such as Dwight Howard are not on the floor. To the extent Gallo is still around, a front court of Amar'e, Randolph and Gallinari could be interesting.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    He stretches the floor because teams, when they are on offense, have to worry about this guy getting down court faster than everyone else on a fast break, and they have to worry about him flying in for an offensive rebound even if he is hanging out at the 3 point or foul line. Camby's offensive game is much more stagnant.
    Ok. I see your point, I think. It makes teams have to get back in transition quicker, but I don't see how it stretches he floor. Maybe I have a different idea of what stretching the floor means.

And I still don't see how running the floor well predicates him a 3 or 4. Or that his offensive game is less stagnant than Camby's so therefore he is not a Center. Especially in D'Antoni's system.

I would think the fact that he excels at rebounding, blocking shots, and is 6'11 235lbs would make him more of a center. Running the floor well and having good ball handling skills for his size are just a bonus.

The only thing I would worry about with Randolph as a Center is playing man-to-man defense against the big Centers in the league. But again, so does Camby.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Aug 18, 2010 at 19:06.