Nets May Let Martin Walk(Article)

keyindabox

Benchwarmer
http://nypost.com/sports/nets/23347.htm

Portions:

The Nets' toughest opponents next season might not be the Pistons and the Pacers but purse-strings and the payroll.

If Martin receives a maximum offer from another team - Atlanta and Denver are among clubs with available room for a max proposal - a strong chance exists the Nets would not match. Because Martin is a restricted free agent, the Nets can match any offer he receives. Martin can get an offer of 25 percent of the salary cap with a 12.5-percent increase each year for seven years from the Nets or 10 percent bumps for six years from other teams. Figure the Nets, based on a cap of around $45 million, could offer a deal worth $103 million while competitors can give about $85 million without a seventh year.

Kidd's knee injury may keep him in New Jersey as not even he is secure in ownership's eyes, sources said. But nothing can be discussed until the status of his surgery-requiring knee is determined. Kidd signed a $103 million, six-year deal last summer. Prospective ownership apparently sees a large salary, not a player who revitalized a franchise and directed two trips to the NBA Finals.

nycefnl

Benchwarmer
If Nets are smart they'll attempt to trade Kidd for Kobe and sign Martin. I'd give up Kidd and Jefferson for Kobe!

PG Harris ?
SG Kobe
SF ?
PF Martin
C ?

Only The Knicks

Benchwarmer
Hoagies99 said:
kidd and jefferson r their 2 best players, they would die with only kobe and kmart
I agree. You don't need to get rid of Kidd. He's great, regardless of whether he is as great as Kobe. Also LA wouldn't want Kidd, even if he is better than GP.

WiL8000

Rotation player
None of the Knicks could stop him in the series... I felt he made his point, but the guy was just straight up disrespectful. Besides Collins, who became my new favorite Net to hate, Martin holds second place, then followed by Kidd. What am I talking about? I can't stand that whole team...
The Nets need to have a point guard, who can set Martin up like Kidd. If he doesn't get those looks on offense his numbers won't reflect the ones he put up with Kidd around. His defense will probably not be effected, no one can take that away from him. Plus now that LA basically belongs to Kobe, I would be surprised to see him in a different uniform next season.