Micheal Kay: Knicks offer to Nuggets

YEARITEHERE

Benchwarmer
The Knicks are believed to be at the top of Carmelo Anthony's list of preferred destinations, but New York may not have the assets to make a deal.

"What do they have?" a source close to the Nuggets told the New York Daily News. "That makes it tough."

Reports have indicated that the Knicks could offer the expiring contract of Eddy Curry, a future first-round pick and Danilo Gallinari.

However, the Knicks may try to sell Denver on Wilson Chandler over Gallinari if they make an offer.

The Nets, Bulls, Rockets and Magic have been mentioned as potential destinations for Anthony as well.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...ve_assets_to_trade_for_carmelo/#ixzz0x58xmPqU

shaolin

Benchwarmer
The Nets arent a problem. and all the Rockets can offer is cap room.

If The nets were to make a trade for Mello they would be giving up most of there good pieces (Devin Harris, Brook Lopez) and Carmello wouldnt agree to it.

The Rockets would just offer expiring contracts.

The Magic havent even made any offers for Carmelo but if they did it weould be Vince Carter's expiring and Jammer Nelson. The Nuggets already have a PG and dont need Nelson.

Our deal of Chandler or Gallo with Curry's expiring 12 mill and a first round pick is better then all the other deals if you ask me.

The Nets can put together a much better package than the Knicks. Just look at the Nets roster. I’ll entertain you and put together a package. Damion James, who is a really solid prospect and I really think he went under the radar because he isn’t a “sexy” pick, Devin Harris and Travis Outlaw. If Denver asked for Troy Murphy to substitute Outlaw, the Knicks would have to add Gallinari and Randolph to compete. The Nets don’t even need to add a pick. Comparing that package to Gallinari, Curry and a first rounder is a joke! The Knicks will have to gut the team to compete with the Nets, assuming the Nets are serious and I bet you they are, especially considering they lost out on all the FAs. Never underestimate your opponents. Teams have “stolen” players from other teams because a team was considered frontrunner for a trade and acted like a trade was going to go through and some superstar player was theirs. So what if the Knicks are a frontrunner? It doesn’t mean anything. Nothing is guaranteed. And I have a bad feeling about this.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The Knicks are believed to be at the top of Carmelo Anthony's list of preferred destinations, but New York may not have the assets to make a deal.

"What do they have?" a source close to the Nuggets told the New York Daily News. "That makes it tough."

Reports have indicated that the Knicks could offer the expiring contract of Eddy Curry, a future first-round pick and Danilo Gallinari.

However, the Knicks may try to sell Denver on Wilson Chandler over Gallinari if they make an offer.

The Nets, Bulls, Rockets and Magic have been mentioned as potential destinations for Anthony as well.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...ve_assets_to_trade_for_carmelo/#ixzz0x58xmPqU

Wilson Chandler??? If they agreed that would be one of the biggest rapes in NBA history. Wilson may have talent but he often produces like a bench player.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The Nets can put together a much better package than the Knicks. Just look at the Nets roster. I?ll entertain you and put together a package. Damion James, who is a really solid prospect and I really think he went under the radar because he isn?t a ?sexy? pick, Devin Harris and Travis Outlaw. If Denver asked for Troy Murphy to substitute Outlaw, the Knicks would have to add Gallinari and Randolph to compete. The Nets don?t even need to add a pick. Comparing that package to Gallinari, Curry and a first rounder is a joke! The Knicks will have to gut the team to compete with the Nets, assuming the Nets are serious and I bet you they are, especially considering they lost out on all the FAs. Never underestimate your opponents. Teams have ?stolen? players from other teams because a team was considered frontrunner for a trade and acted like a trade was going to go through and some superstar player was theirs. So what if the Knicks are a frontrunner? It doesn?t mean anything. Nothing is guaranteed. And I have a bad feeling about this.

Who cares?

If we don't have enough to satisfy Denver, then we don't give up anything. We sign him next summer. Denver gets nothing. This is actually the scenario I prefer the most.

Denver can't trade him to the best bidder. Melo has a no trade clause in his contract. He can turn down any destination he wants. Melo has most of the power here. Plus, not many teams are going to make offers knowing that Melo may not resign with them. No team wants to give up assets for a 1 year rental.

And if he gets traded somewhere else, the I'm fine with that too. It's better than depleting our entire roster for him. Gallo + Randolph is better than Melo alone.

Overall, none of this matters and we really needn't worry about it.

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
screw that melo is great but he is also stubborn and not a team player just think about the way his team mates talked about him during the playoffs last year, id rather get parker and keep galo then get melo... i believe in this season galo will be close to as good as an all star and him parker and amare could be a big 3 i personally think galo is better then chris bosh and those 3 would be better then miami's big 3

Dirk

Benchwarmer
screw that melo is great but he is also stubborn and not a team player just think about the way his team mates talked about him during the playoffs last year, id rather get parker and keep galo then get melo... i believe in this season galo will be close to as good as an all star and him parker and amare could be a big 3 i personally think galo is better then chris bosh and those 3 would be better then miami's big 3

crackhead.jpg

gaknickfan

Benchwarmer
Who cares?

If we don't have enough to satisfy Denver, then we don't give up anything. We sign him next summer. Denver gets nothing. This is actually the scenario I prefer the most.

Denver can't trade him to the best bidder. Melo has a no trade clause in his contract. He can turn down any destination he wants. Melo has most of the power here. Plus, not many teams are going to make offers knowing that Melo may not resign with them. No team wants to give up assets for a 1 year rental.

And if he gets traded somewhere else, the I'm fine with that too. It's better than depleting our entire roster for him. Gallo + Randolph is better than Melo alone.

dont thk he has a no trade clause .... but be does have leverage....by not signing his 3 year offer ..... he will go pretty much where he wants if it comes to that.... because amar here im thking melo will want to be a knick to play along side another allstar ...... the nets cant offer that ...... the team id be worry about is the bulls they could make it attractive to play there

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Who cares?

You are not looking at this from Melo's best interest. Do you think he will give the Knicks favors? No! He is going to think about two things, generally. The first issue is the finances, which is the most important decision. Second, he will think about team, future and city, which I believe can be lumped into one category, because when you think about team, you think about its future and its location and potential business opportunities/lifestyle/family and all that good stuff.

If Melo approves a trade, he will sign an extension first via the sign and trade agreement per the current CBA. That makes the most sense to me. So, if the Nets put the best deal on the table and Melo approves it, the Nets have him for 3 or so additional years. The Knicks are out of luck. CP3 and D. Williams are not FAs until 2012, meaning the knicks will have to trade for them. And quite frankly, unless we gut our team, we cannot afford them. Hence, this issue is a bit more complex. Just waiting it out for July 1, when Melo becomes a FA is not realistic, because this assumes the players union and the NBA execs reach an agreement by then (highly unlikely since they can't even agree on the basic fundamental cash flow of the league), then Melo's number one priority is not to test Free Agency and get a sign and trade done. It's also in Denver's priority as well. Melo cannot risk that, so he wants to get an extended contract in place.

The Knicks current package of Gallo, Curry and a first rounder is really not a viable choice for Denver IMO. The more I think about it, I don't think the Knicks are necessarily the front runners as the media claims. I think it's just "sexy" just to say the Knicks are Melo's most likely destination. Just my 2 cents.

Paul1355

All Star
The main problem is that our future 1st rd pick is worthless to DEN right now. 2014! We'll be a regular playoff team by then.
good point, this is why we would have to throw in another player or two....maybe Walker and Chandler...something like that Denver would want.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
good point, this is why we would have to throw in another player or two....maybe Walker and Chandler...something like that Denver would want.

I don't think so. If all of the reports that Melo really wants to play here are true, and if it's also true that he did nothing to ease the tension at his wedding when CP3 made the comment about joining Amar'e in NYC (especially with the Nuggets owner sitting right there.) And if Denver feels that they need to make a move to get some value for Melo before he leaves them for nothing, and he can control where he wants to go by agreeing to an extension or new contract with the team he's traded to, Denver has almost no leverage.

Melo isn't going to sign the extension or agree to a new deal for a team he doesn't want to play for long term, that team isn't going to give up draft picks and players for a one year rental. So if Melo is steering the Nuggets to the Knicks and they're seemingly fit all of the criteria (willing to trade young players and picks, can include even more cap relief for future building efforts, and Melo will agree to a new deal) you tell Denver what they're getting in the trade and convince them that it's the best move to make. You don't conform to their demands and let them pick and choose players, you tell them "no deal, good luck with getting a team to rent Melo or convincing him to stay in Colorado, bye." And you continue on the path you're on.

You only increase the trade proposal if another team steps up their offer, you don't show your cards this early. And the only other teams that might be a threat from the standpoint of Melo willing to put pen to paper for a long term deal is Chicago and Orlando. But Chicago can probably only offer Taj Gibson and a draft pick or two, and they probably don't want to mess with the depth of their front court like that, they're pretty set as is. And the Magic can offer VC's expiring $17m but who are the young players coming over in the deal? Reddick is expensive as hell now because of his new deal, they don't need Nelson since Lawson is their PG of the future, Ryan Andersen? Pietrus?

We're alright with whatever initial offer we extend to the Nuggets.