Thread: Nuggets Want To Deal Carmelo To Nets, Kings Or Wolves

Threaded View

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Noone seems to take into account the new CBA looming and the possibility of Melo loosing $65 mil. That is a major factor which you seem to want to ignore. It's not as simple as you make it out to be and I don't know why everyone thinks Denver MUST do whatever Melo demands.

The longer this drags on, the more willing Melo will be to accept a team like the Nets, who can offer a lot more than the Knicks.

Denver has a lot of power and I could care less whether you want to admit it or not. Keep living in the fantasy world that Curry, Chandler and a 2014 pick will get us Melo, if you want. I know, and everybody living in the world outside of Knick fans knows it will take us at least Gallo + Randolph + 2014 pick. Which to me, is not worth it.
    Melo wouldn't be losing $65mil, it would just be that amount stretched over more years, lol. The Players' Association isn't going to let owners pay players for pennies on the dollar, they might just change the amount of years on the deal to make it more feasible for both sides, while also easing some of the tensions associated with the FA and losing players for owners....that's not my opinion...that's what unions do....you know....collectively represent all of the employees when it comes to negotiating deals with the employers.

And it's also not my opinion that teams will want Melo to sign the extension before they trade for him, no one is going to want to trade players and picks and then possibly end up with nothing in one year. So if Melo refuses to sign the extension for a trade to certain teams...he's effectively vetoing the trade.
    Unless, like I said, someone is willing to swing a deal without any certainty that he'll be there for the long haul (like what the Redskins did with McNabb, they wanted him to sign an extension before the trade, but they pulled the trigger anyway...he can still walk at the end of the year unless he signs an extension.) None of that is my opinion as a Knick fan.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "as long as 'this' drags on" because as far as I know there have been no official offers for Melo, so right now there is no reason for him to get ancy and jump to one team over another (especially if he already has his mind made up and he's waiting for things to get rolling.)

It's simple, very simple. If a trade happening is contingent on Melo signing the extension for the new team before they trade anything to Denver...then he has a lot of the power. To argue otherwise literally doesn't make any sense. Unless you know of some clause where Denver can put a gun to his head and make him sign the extension for the team that has the best pieces that they'd like to acquire in a trade; because as long as he has free will and he can say he's not signing the extension and he'll walk at the end of the year, all Denver can do is watch him walk or get what they can get or him.

None of this is my opinion, by the way. I've never once stated what I thought would be a fair trade for him. So the whole argument of "I don't care if you won't admit it and agree with my statements" is kind of moot.
    Last edited by nuckles2k2; Aug 29, 2010 at 17:11.