Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 181

Thread: Can We Win w/ D'Antoni

  1. #16
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman

    For the sake of Basketball, why did u respond back to a poster that is
    clueless of why Dantoni is not still coaching in Phoenix.

    We traded a defensive Kurt Thomas to Phoenix and Dantoni DNP Kurt
    Thomas off n on throughout those two seasons.
    The Knicks had some decent defensive players in
    Collins/Balkman/Hughes/Jefferies/and rookie Jordan Hill.

    If u notice any of the USA Olympic games/practice the announcers speak
    frequently of coach Dantoni being the offensive coach "only".
    It's funny that you call me clueless when all you do is make posts about non-reality...**** you totally made up in your head like a schoolgirl passing a rumor around about the cheerleader you are jealous about...

    First it was your made up conspiracy theories about our front office, then it was Dr. Kiya the patella injury expert who knows that Azu is going to miss the whole season without a shred of proof.

    D'ant is indeed an offensive specialist but he does coach defense quite well. Again, until you or anyone can explain why SSOL means weak defense all your talking points are as hollow as the national media's hate for the Knicks.

    Watch and learn guys:




    Lets see what our best defender over the last few years said about D'ant and defense:

    "I think that Mike’s a realist,’’ Jeffries said. "Defending, like anything else in the NBA, is a talent level. And you can’t have people that are not great defenders and expect them to be great defenders. Just like you can’t have people that aren’t great scorers and expect them to be great scorers. He put me out there to be a defender and he puts guys out there to be scorers. He does focus on defense, but if you don’t have defensive players, then you’re not going to be a great defensive team.’’
    He added, "It’s not like he tells the guys, ‘Don’t go out there and guard anybody, just try to score.’ That’s not the case at all.’’
    D'ant was such a horrible coach that he won 2 coach of the year awards and Amare ran to play under him once again giving D'ant the chance to coach him through his prime.

    The fact is the Suns could have won a title had a few things gone there way or had that not run into a Spurs dynasty. Riley is a hall of fame coach yet could not get the Knicks past MJ and the Bulls. It's clear your hate clouds your judgment and you are not looking at his tenure in Phoenix objectively.

    P.S.This dude is still talking about Balkman a complete scrub! GTFOH!

    P.P.S. Dan't was indeed brought in to coach offense with Team USA because they needed an offensive specialist to manage all that firepower. They had other coaches serving other roles and that in no way proves that D'ant can't or doesn't coach defense. In fact my video proves the exact opposite!

  2. #17
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    BTW, as another poster aptly pointed out in another thread...they said the same thing about the Rams style of play in football until they dominated and won a Superbowl.

  3. #18
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    BTW, as another poster aptly pointed out in another thread...they said the same thing about the Rams style of play in football until they dominated and won a Superbowl.
    That's a very bad comparison. In football, there is a squad sent out on the field for the sole purpose of playing defense. They even have their own coach/coordinator.

    There's way more moving parts in football.

    Dantoni would benefit greatly from having a defensive coach on his team. His ego probably wouldn't allow it, but he could use someone to help set up defensive schemes late in the 4th quarter. Based on what i've seen so far, he isn't great a drawing up plays out of a timeout in a half court set.

  4. #19
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    That's a very bad comparison. In football, there is a squad sent out on the field for the sole purpose of playing defense. They even have their own coach/coordinator.

    There's way more moving parts in football.

    Dantoni would benefit greatly from having a defensive coach on his team. His ego probably wouldn't allow it, but he could use someone to help set up defensive schemes late in the 4th quarter. Based on what i've seen so far, he isn't great a drawing up plays out of a timeout in a half court set.
    Of course the comparison is not 100% but the point about the "experts" saying one system can never win was my only point. They were wrong and anyone who thinks D'ants system is not capable of a title is as well. Time will ultimately tell but to suggest D'ant does not coach defense is to ignore reality.

    P.S. The Rams still relied on outscoring their opponent versus holding them to low scores with the defense. While it's the same 5 people at any given time on both sides of the court there is no reason that an offensive system or style of play should dictate how hard they play on the defensive end in the NBA.

  5. #20
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    It's funny that you call me clueless when all you do is make posts about non-reality...**** you totally made up in your head like a schoolgirl passing a rumor around about the cheerleader you are jealous about...

    First it was your made up conspiracy theories about our front office, then it was Dr. Kiya the patella injury expert who knows that Azu is going to miss the whole season without a shred of proof.

    D'ant is indeed an offensive specialist but he does coach defense quite well. Again, until you or anyone can explain why SSOL means weak defense all your talking points are as hollow as the national media's hate for the Knicks.

    Watch and learn guys:


    Lets see what our best defender over the last few years said about D'ant and defense:


    D'ant was such a horrible coach that he won 2 coach of the year awards and Amare ran to play under him once again giving D'ant the chance to coach him through his prime.

    The fact is the Suns could have won a title had a few things gone there way or had that not run into a Spurs dynasty. Riley is a hall of fame coach yet could not get the Knicks past MJ and the Bulls. It's clear your hate clouds your judgment and you are not looking at his tenure in Phoenix objectively.

    P.S.This dude is still talking about Balkman a complete scrub! GTFOH!

    P.P.S. Dan't was indeed brought in to coach offense with Team USA because they needed an offensive specialist to manage all that firepower. They had other coaches serving other roles and that in no way proves that D'ant can't or doesn't coach defense. In fact my video proves the exact opposite!

    Great post! Really nice vids as well.

    Dantoni is on Team USA mainly because hes the most familiar with the Euro style of play.

    While I would LOVE to have a defensive specialist on the knicks, the Suns squads in the past where definitely underrated defensively. The key is to get the stops when they really matter. Using all your energy on defense all the time can backfire on you as well. Its all a matter of having the right players for your system and this year looks a LOT more promising.

    You would think that with all the talk of the knicks being completely focused on fast tempo and absolutely no defense should make the knicks at least top 3 in terms of pace. They weren't even top 5. I believe it was 9th in the NBA last season. While thats not slow, it certainly doesn't add up to all the press the Knicks get about inflated stats and the like. Especially that tired talk of David Lee having great stats just because of the system. The man just hustles and has a knack for being in the right place. No one talks about Indiana who ranks number 2 for having no defense and inflated stats.

    This is a case of a well known coach in the Mecca of basketball. When he loses, he'll be analyzed and criticized by all. If he starts winning, everyone who was whining about him will suddenly write about how underrated his defense and coaching is.

  6. #21
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by iJoe
    Great post! Really nice vids as well.

    Dantoni is on Team USA mainly because hes the most familiar with the Euro style of play.

    While I would LOVE to have a defensive specialist on the knicks, the Suns squads in the past where definitely underrated defensively. The key is to get the stops when they really matter. Using all your energy on defense all the time can backfire on you as well. Its all a matter of having the right players for your system and this year looks a LOT more promising.

    You would think that with all the talk of the knicks being completely focused on fast tempo and absolutely no defense should make the knicks at least top 3 in terms of pace. They weren't even top 5. I believe it was 9th in the NBA last season. While thats not slow, it certainly doesn't add up to all the press the Knicks get about inflated stats and the like. Especially that tired talk of David Lee having great stats just because of the system. The man just hustles and has a knack for being in the right place. No one talks about Indiana who ranks number 2 for having no defense and inflated stats.

    This is a case of a well known coach in the Mecca of basketball. When he loses, he'll be analyzed and criticized by all. If he starts winning, everyone who was whining about him will suddenly write about how underrated his defense and coaching is.

    Yea, I have been battling those talking points all year. The simple fact is that we did not have the players to run SSOL so Dan't went with a modified half court offense relying mostly on the PnR. The inflated stats people talk about come from the extra positions SSOL provides so D Lee got his numbers the "honest" way.

    I also don't get why people buy into the notion that SSOL makes a team weak at defense. Maybe they give up a few points in transition but that should not effect intensity, defensive match ups or schemes. I will say it again, defense has more to do with the players than the coach. If a player is not committed or does not have good instincts a coach can run drills all day every day and it would not really improve anything.

  7. #22
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Man, it's so ****ing simple.

    Name one coach - ONE COACH that has been successful with a **** team in a rebuilding phase.

    Just one will suffice.

    Lottery teams are an exception with instantly high picks in the draft.

    Otherwise, to the D'Antoni haters, give him half a year to either prove you right or wrong. Either way, you couldn't have ever predicted the future. All opinions based on assumption are ****ing useless.

  8. #23
    Veteran knicksin60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,678
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    There is only one answer to the question that was asked by the creator of this thread and it isn't a yes.Judging by his resume, nobody could win with Damphoni as their head coach.Even a starting five of Magic, Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Kareem would have difficulty getting past the conference finals with him coaching them.It has been proven almost every year that celebrity coaches who are offensive minded,stubborn, terrible at communicating with players, terrible at coaching down the stretch, and who like to use small rosters are not coaches that can win in seven game series' against other elite teams.

    I would love to drink the kool-aid by making the bold prediction of D'antoni's Knicks winning 50 games in the 2010-11 season but does anyone believe that D'antoni is going to help the Knicks win 20 more games next season because of the additions of Amar'e, Felton and a new group of role players? I am not picking the Knicks to miss the playoffs, even that is a very bold prediction to make.But this team won't be a top 5 seeded team in the Eastern Conference unless they add another superstar and even if they added another superstar D'antoni wouldn't be competent enough to coach them to the NBA finals.
    Last edited by knicksin60; Sep 01, 2010 at 14:21.

  9. #24
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksin60
    There is only one answer to the question that was asked by the creator of this thread and it isn't a yes.Judging by his resume, nobody could win with Damphoni as their head coach.Even a starting five of Magic, Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Kareem would have difficulty getting past the conference finals with him coaching them.It has been proven almost every year that celebrity coaches who are offensive minded,stubborn, terrible at communicating with players, terrible at coaching down the stretch, and who like to use small rosters are not coaches that can win in seven game series' against other elite teams.

    I would love to drink the kool-aid by making the bold prediction of D'antoni's Knicks winning 50 games in the 2010-11 season but does anyone believe that D'antoni is going to help the Knicks win 20 more games next season because of the additions of Amar'e, Felton and a new group of role players? I am not picking the Knicks to miss the playoffs, even that is a very bold prediction to make.But this team won't be a top 5 seeded team in the Eastern Conference unless they add another superstar and even if they added another superstar D'antoni wouldn't be competent enough to coach them to the NBA finals.

    Not a single fact in your entire post. BTW, D'ant won several titles in Europe as coach and I already shredded the argument that he does not coach defense. Further he is such a horrible coach to players that Amare is coming back to him for a second stint. Who did he have issues with? N8 who dug his own grave? Harrington the ball chucking nija turtle who thinks he is Jordan? Darko? Come on maaaaaaaaaan!?

  10. #25
    El Cacique portega1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)
    Posts
    1,611
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Not a single fact in your entire post. BTW, D'ant won several titles in Europe as coach and I already shredded the argument that he does not coach defense. Further he is such a horrible coach to players that Amare is coming back to him for a second stint. Who did he have issues with? N8 who dug his own grave? Harrington the ball chucking nija turtle who thinks he is Jordan? Darko? Come on maaaaaaaaaan!?
    really hard to argue with you buddy while I'm fixated on those set of pork chops wearing number 3 in your sig.

  11. #26
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Seriously, I wish people would at least skim a few posts before replying to a topic and feeling like a dumb ass.

    Don't be a blind follower. Get some facts and do a little research. Hell, look up a few posts and most likely you'll find that your argument has already been posted and debunked.

    btw trillion auto wins all debates with his sig

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    we won't win with d'ant, walsh, or dolan... it's sad my kids will never know a winning new york team.. not the knicks not the jonnies... sad for nybb

  13. #28
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Yes, he can win it all. He just needs the right mix of players. Maybe we have the beginnings of that now, idk..

    With Gallo growing into what most of us hope and believe he can be and a healthy Amare, this team could be really dangerous. Gallo is a hungry, fiery leader. Throw Felton in the mix with what he can bring and this could be a nice little squad.

    Felton needs to bring it though. He needs to be our engine.

    W Gallo, Amare and Felton we're one more player away from being a contender. Can AR be that guy?? I don't think so. I think he's a role player personally. And frankly you can't teach feel, or IQ as it's called more often around here. He is a nasty iso scorer tho. I could see him being our boris diaw type offensively, although Boris could shoot better than AR. AR's got holes in his game. I think we need another really nice player.

    Right now we are about a 42-45 win team. I think D'ant is a really good coach. His name and job are both on the line. He can't have ANOTHER ****ty-Knicks season. He will bring it this year. Considering those factors, we might be a 45-47 win team.

  14. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,303
    Rep Power
    20

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    It's funny that you call me clueless when all you do is make posts about non-reality...**** you totally made up in your head like a schoolgirl passing a rumor around about the cheerleader you are jealous about...

    First it was your made up conspiracy theories about our front office, then it was Dr. Kiya the patella injury expert who knows that Azu is going to miss the whole season without a shred of proof.

    D'ant is indeed an offensive specialist but he does coach defense quite well. Again, until you or anyone can explain why SSOL means weak defense all your talking points are as hollow as the national media's hate for the Knicks.

    Watch and learn guys:




    Lets see what our best defender over the last few years said about D'ant and defense:


    D'ant was such a horrible coach that he won 2 coach of the year awards and Amare ran to play under him once again giving D'ant the chance to coach him through his prime.

    The fact is the Suns could have won a title had a few things gone there way or had that not run into a Spurs dynasty. Riley is a hall of fame coach yet could not get the Knicks past MJ and the Bulls. It's clear your hate clouds your judgment and you are not looking at his tenure in Phoenix objectively.

    P.S.This dude is still talking about Balkman a complete scrub! GTFOH!

    P.P.S. Dan't was indeed brought in to coach offense with Team USA because they needed an offensive specialist to manage all that firepower. They had other coaches serving other roles and that in no way proves that D'ant can't or doesn't coach defense. In fact my video proves the exact opposite!

    Tr1ll1on..... being clueless of the Knicks is not as bad as u think it is, u
    should accept it with pride. Bigger people than
    u like Layden/Isiah/Walsh/Lenny Wilkins/Larry Brown/and celebrity coach
    Dantoni are all accepting their cluelessness of the Knicks and its
    organization with pride.
    u have to excuse Kiya, he have been a big pessimistic Knick fan since 1999
    when the Knicks fired GM Ernie Grunfield (an ex-player/ex-coach/ex-GM of
    the Knicks organization).
    Two years after the firing of GM Ernie our best headcoach JVG quit with alot
    of our great coaching-staff quiting alongside of coach JVG. This is how ex-
    player Herb Williams became assistant headcoach of the Knicks the day after
    his player contract expired.
    The Knicks owner and all of the GM's he has hired since GM Ernie have done
    nothing to build or replace the big coaching-staff that Pat Riley put into
    place to take us to the FINALS (twice).

    We have 10 young athletic players on the 2010-11 new roster, these young
    players could improve their performance by meshin with their teammates on
    either offense/defense in a uptempo or halfcourt setting if we had the
    "coaches" to make them stick to the plan.
    It is obvious as a quack from a duck we will need a big man coach on the
    bench yelling guidance for the signing of Euro-player 7.0 C-Mozgov switch to
    the NBA league, where the rules, tactics of oponents, and expectation of his
    teammates will be alot different from what he is used to. The Knicks dont
    have anyone on their coaching-staff that qualify for that job for a NCAA
    bigman. I dont recall them hiring anyone who speak fluent russian/english
    either.

    u can boast about Dantoni's record and success in Phoenix while leaving out
    Phoenix Marbury/Marion/Joe Johnson/Chambers were a playoff team when
    Dantoni was an assistant coach for the Denver Nuggets.
    u can also leave out all of the veteran players experience in the
    (Western Conference of the) starting 6 men in Dantoni's first full season
    as headcoach of the Phoenix Suns.
    Dantoni not wanting GM Kerr to hire defensive coach Tom Thib, plus wanting
    defensive C/F-Kurt Thomas off the roster during the same offseason, which
    was the big talk in Phoenix during Dantoni's last season in Phoenix.
    Tom Thib was on our coaching staff when we signed a walking Kurt Thomas
    on the Knicks in 1998-99 season.

    It is not a conspiracy or theory that Walsh and Dantoni is not on the same-
    page. Walsh had to know about the "fued" of Dantoni/Marbury in Phoenix.
    The sports media started an episode about it as early as June 2008.
    Look at all the new players and 10 day contract players Walsh put on the
    roster that Dantoni DNP without giving them a steady chance to mesh with
    the same players or any players (its well over 10 new players).

    Jefferies was never the best defensive player on the Knicks.
    Jefferies missing so many open layups made him the Knicks worst offensive
    player in the history of the Knicks. Winning the crown from Charles Smith.
    It was assumed Jefferies was a Defensive player. But us Knick fans new both
    JJ were a MLE "RED-FLAG" to FIRE Isiah asap.

    Balkman is a great role-player off the bench to give u
    rebounds/blocks/screening/decent passing/and put backs (Bowen).

  15. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,303
    Rep Power
    20

    Thumbs up

    Tr1ll1on.... just incase u dont understand the above post

    Dantoni is single-minded. as a boss he hires family/friends to do important
    jobs they are not equip 2 do. Its like being force to hire your brother in law
    that u hate.
    Dan Dantoni had to be the worst coach in the summer league games.
    Mike Dantoni is NOT open-minded or wise enough to keep a discipline roster
    once they find out how clueless he is in so many areas.
    Amare knows it was captain Matrix Marion who kept order in
    practice/lockerroom/and on court.

Similar Threads

  1. D'antoni Accepts Offer to Coach Knicks
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Jan 26, 2012, 17:27
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: May 17, 2011, 11:40
  3. NOW Mike D'Antoni doesnt believe in Duhon
    By StreetDreams21 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 13, 2009, 16:11
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct 27, 2009, 22:48
  5. D'antoni in Love with the Big ****
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jul 14, 2008, 11:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •