The Most Overrated Scorers in the NBA: Melo 13th overrall.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I would like to know what all the Carmelo Anthony bashers would think would happen if He wasen't on the nuggets. You might have a point that he dosent do what all the elite players do in the league and he dosent take over in the playoffs,(Naysayers In General) but I would counter that with His team is not that good. K Martin is not a star like some people think he is. Jr Smith is overrated and to streaky. Nene is far from a elite center. They got a elite pg, but thats it.

The nuggets have gone to the playoffs every season sense Carmelo has
been there. They weren't even relevent before he got there, and he made them worth watching all by himself.

To bad he cant win it all by himself. He might need a elite power foward, players that aren't streaky, and play like there shit dont stink, plus play smart and HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can say all they want but I know carmelo is not a overrated scorer. Put him on a team with garnett in his prime, gasol, howard, shaq in his prime and add in some role players and you have a team more then able to get to the finals with the right role players and win the damm thing... geez

If melo was in Miami and had shaq then, Carmelo has a ring. This shiiit is is overrated and over anayalizing this shhiitt is overrated.

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-berri/the-most-overrated-scorer_b_701408.html

This article has some merit to it. But when it comes to Derrick Rose and Melo....I think it does them injustice.

Derrick Rose in that 2009 playoffs vs the Celtics was pretty special.
Put Melo on the lakers and take Kobe off and you can still have a championship....Melo shot so much because only him and Billups were good on offense. Everyone else was average, JR Smith is ok.

Melo needs a big man o draw guys away from him like Kobe had in Pau Gasol...Amare can fit that role perfectly.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Put Melo on the lakers and take Kobe off and you can still have a championship....Melo shot so much because only him and Billups were good on offense. Everyone else was average, JR Smith is ok.

Melo needs a big man o draw guys away from him like Kobe had in Pau Gasol...Amare can fit that role perfectly.

One of the more ridiculous comments made on these boards when you consider this:

Most, though, is not all. Three players -- Carmelo Anthony (6.0 wins Produced), Monta Ellis (1.9 wins Produced), and Danny Granger (3.8 wins produced) -- are what we call "unproductive scorers." Yes, each player can score. But once again, a player primarily impacts wins by shooting efficiently and taking actions that get and keep possession of the ball (i.e. rebounds, steals, and avoiding turnovers). And when we consider the factors that dictate wins, we see that Anthony, Ellis, and Granger come up short. In sum, each is overrated.

Could Melo drop 81 (i.e. Kobe's work) ??? I guess he could score 63 against an overpowered Celts (i.e. Jordan's genius) team in the playoffs too right?? Utterly ridiculous..:cool:

Melo <<<<<<< Kobe by a mile dude!

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
One of the more ridiculous comments made on these boards when you consider this:

Most, though, is not all. Three players -- Carmelo Anthony (6.0 wins Produced), Monta Ellis (1.9 wins Produced), and Danny Granger (3.8 wins produced) -- are what we call "unproductive scorers." Yes, each player can score. But once again, a player primarily impacts wins by shooting efficiently and taking actions that get and keep possession of the ball (i.e. rebounds, steals, and avoiding turnovers). And when we consider the factors that dictate wins, we see that Anthony, Ellis, and Granger come up short. In sum, each is overrated.

Could Melo drop 81 (i.e. Kobe's work) ??? I guess he could score 63 against an overpowered Celts (i.e. Jordan's genius) team in the playoffs too right?? Utterly ridiculous..:cool:
OK you play a team based primarily on stats and see how far you go, David Lee looked great with numbers but look how many point he gave up on defense??? Leading to more losses than wins, hurting us more than he helped. Positive or negative, numbers don't tell a players game unless they are drastic like Chandler shooting 26% from three last year.

Melo can take over basketball games on a daily basis and led the Nuggets over and over again, he is a super star. Take him off the team and they suck. Does he chuck, yes, does Kobe chuck, yes, does any star chuck, YES.... Deal with it.

Is Dirk over rated? he chucks up shots and misses all the time. How about Rashard Lewis? I see that guy miss ten shots a game. Still a dynamic player. You can name so many stars that have low "true shooting" percentages and can still carry teams.

The fact is that Felton, Melo, and Amare could possibly make us the 2nd best team in the East.

Melo is not over rated because of metric stats or whatever you propose, you forget that stats don't apply to the locker room, chemistry, Melo having all the spotlight which takes pressure off the rest of the team, essentially helping everyone.
Melo just needs a good PG, he has that with Billups, hopefully Felton would be great with him but who knows.

We should not give up Randolph and Gallo for Melo, too much.

Gallo for Melo straight up with Curry and a pick, yes.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
OK you play a team based primarily on stats and see how far you go, David Lee looked great with numbers but look how many point he gave up on defense??? Leading to more losses than wins, hurting us more than he helped. Positive or negative, numbers don't tell a players game unless they are drastic like Chandler shooting 26% from three last year.

Melo can take over basketball games on a daily basis and led the Nuggets over and over again, he is a super star. Take him off the team and they suck. Does he chuck, yes, does Kobe chuck, yes, does any star chuck, YES.... Deal with it.

Is Dirk over rated? he chucks up shots and misses all the time. How about Rashard Lewis? I see that guy miss ten shots a game. Still a dynamic player. You can name so many stars that have low "true shooting" percentages and can still carry teams.

The fact is that Felton, Melo, and Amare could possibly make us the 2nd best team in the East.

Melo is not over rated because of metric stats or whatever you propose, you forget that stats don't apply to the locker room, chemistry, Melo having all the spotlight which takes pressure off the rest of the team, essentially helping everyone.
Melo just needs a good PG, he has that with Billups, hopefully Felton would be great with him but who knows.

We should not give up Randolph and Gallo for Melo, too much.

Gallo for Melo straight up with Curry and a pick, yes.

Dude you said you could take Kobe off of the Lakers and replace him w Melo. Right or wrong???

That's like saying saying you could replace A-Rod w David Wright and Yankees would still win it all!!! Facken ludicrous..

In your 1st point you didn't say anything about so-called overrated scores just carrying teams w low FG percentages. Don't backtrack now bro.

Yes scorers like Melo, Dirk and even Rashard Lewis (whom you used in an argument along side Dirk- they do not equate, but whatevs) can carry teams for stretches. That goes w/out saying. But you basically said Melo = Kobe in that first post I responded to and that is just dumb.

Either take it back or stop arguing.

Paul1355

All Star
Dude you said you could take Kobe off of the Lakers and replace him w Melo. Right or wrong???

That's like saying saying you could replace A-Rod w David Wright and Yankees would still win it all!!! Facken ludicrous..

In your 1st point you didn't say anything about so-called overrated scores just carrying teams w low FG percentages. Don't backtrack now bro.

Yes scorers like Melo, Dirk and even Rashard Lewis (whom you used in an argument along side Dirk- they do not equate, but whatevs) can carry teams for stretches. That goes w/out saying. But you basically said Melo = Kobe in that first post I responded to and that is just dumb.

Either take it back or stop arguing.
Melo and Kobe are in totally different situations with Kobe having the edge even though he is better.

Your going to tell me that a lineup of

Fisher
Melo
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Would not win a ring easily????

Kobe needed the players around him just like Lebron did, just like Wade did.

Wade needed Shaq for that ring, Kobe needed Shaq and then needed Gasol, Lebron needed...well let's just say he only needed one star with him but decided to be a wimp and go with two stars.

I'm saying put Kobe on the Nuggets and they don't win a ring or even come close, just like Melo hasn't.

Put Melo on the Lakers and you can easily win a ring.

Kobe does not equal Melo....Kobe is the best player in the world, BUT Melo is top 10. And has the ability to score as easily as Kobe can, I have seen Melo just school guys and look like the best player in the NBA. He has the talent and the ability, he just needs help...like a big man. Which Amare would be perfect for.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Melo and Kobe are in totally different situations with Kobe having the edge even though he is better.

Your going to tell me that a lineup of

Fisher
Melo
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Would not win a ring easily????

Kobe needed the players around him just like Lebron did, just like Wade did.

Wade needed Shaq for that ring, Kobe needed Shaq and then needed Gasol, Lebron needed...well let's just say he only needed one star with him but decided to be a wimp and go with two stars.

I'm saying put Kobe on the Nuggets and they don't win a ring or even come close, just like Melo hasn't.

Put Melo on the Lakers and you can easily win a ring.

Kobe does not equal Melo....Kobe is the best player in the world, BUT Melo is top 10. And has the ability to score as easily as Kobe can, I have seen Melo just school guys and look like the best player in the NBA. He has the talent and the ability, he just needs help...like a big man. Which Amare would be perfect for.

I do not believe that squad would win a ring easily because Melo is not Kobe, nor will he ever be.

You cannot just say that you can plug in one player for another because one aspect of their respective games is similar - scoring in this case.

In doing so you gloss over the FACT that Kobe brings so much more to a team than just scoring, which as the above article points out is the reason why Melo can be deemed OVERRATED - because he doesn't bring much more to a team than his ability to get buckets.

In making such a statement, and continuing to defend it, you show a certain limited understanding of basketball and what a great player like Kobe brings to to his team.

Some of these abilities include and I'll go beyond stats since you seem to think they are irrelevant in some way:

1. Extreme clutchness
2. Otherwordly ball-handling ability for a 2 guard
3. Solid passing skills
4. Awesome and proven IQ
5. It factor, i.e. heart, determination, killer whatever you want to call it.

Melo is not on Kobe's level in any of the above areas, or even scoring for that matter! You assertions are not well thought out..

Dude it simply would not be a foregone conclusion that the team you posted above would win w Melo in that lineup. To say that shows a blatant disregard for the other aspects of Kobe's game that Melo as not shown, that contributed to the Lakers winning it all.

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
Fu*K Kobe

Lol No one is Kobe Bryant AKA THE BIGGEST MICHAEL JORDAN COCK SMOKER I HAVE EVER SEEN!

But thats ok! How many rings does Kobe have without beastly Gasol and Shaq, or Phil Jackson for that matter. The best coach in the league and arguably the best big men in the league ( see gasol and How does my azz taste)

Kobe has had the best players and coach around him everytime he wins and if you dont think Carmelo Anthony would come on that team with Shaq or Gasol and get to the finals and win, tell me who would have stoped them.

You Carmelo haters are funny tho.

Carmelo wins championships, thats what he does, thats his history!

Gold Medal and National Championship << ALMOST ALL BY HIS GOD DAMM SELF

But I'll be laughing when Melo gets a ring or rings because he got all three.

DAMM that sounds like Kobes IDOL MICHAEL JORDAN

Paul1355

All Star
I do not believe that squad would win a ring easily because Melo is not Kobe, nor will he ever be.

You cannot just say that you can plug in one player for another because one aspect of their respective games is similar - scoring in this case.

In doing so you gloss over the FACT that Kobe brings so much more to a team than just scoring, which as the above article points out is the reason why Melo can be deemed OVERRATED - because he doesn't bring much more to a team than his ability to get buckets.

In making such a statement, and continuing to defend it, you show a certain limited understanding of basketball and what a great player like Kobe brings to to his team.

Some of these abilities include and I'll go beyond stats since you seem to think they are irrelevant in some way:

1. Extreme clutchness
2. Otherwordly ball-handling ability for a 2 guard
3. Solid passing skills
4. Awesome and proven IQ
5. It factor, i.e. heart, determination, killer whatever you want to call it.

Melo is not on Kobe's level in any of the above areas, or even scoring for that matter! You assertions are not well thought out..

Dude it simply would not be a foregone conclusion that the team you posted above would win w Melo in that lineup. To say that shows a blatant disregard for the other aspects of Kobe's game that Melo as not shown, that contributed to the Lakers winning it all.
Again I am not saying Kobe is worse.

You are ignoring the fact that Melo has carried the Nuggets so many times, the fact that Melo has not had extreme help like what Gasol does for Kobe makes my argument have as much weight as yours.

Melo on the Lakers could win a championship easily last year.

No team was dominate except the Cavs(who still lost with Lebron James with no true low post big man) and the Lakers would still have the best team in the NBA.

This is all hypothetical so I don't see th huge argument, it is strictly opinion.

Put Melo with Amare, a big man presence which he has never had, and you will be shocked. Wade, Kobe, Lebron all prove that THEY NEED a big man presence. So why hate on Melo and call him over rated when you know players better than Melo had the same problem?
Doesn't make sense.

As if you are singling out Melo as if he had the same players around him.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Paul,

Melo is a non-passn, no defense playn, players cutn in the lane missn, average IQ havn, overrated-ass one dimensional scorer.

Kobe cannot be characterized as any of the above. So stop.

Melo could not do what Kobe does on the Lakers in the triangle offense. Kobe is a facilitator. Melo is a black hole.

People say Melo is a top ten player but I can easily name ten I'd rather have over him, maybe even fifteen.

When it comes to elite players Melo is in the group, he's one of the back-up dancers however.

Melo has talent in droves but he's a tin man..

Melo cannot lead a team in the NBA.. What PG took over as the de-facto leader on Denver the moment he took the practice court, rather the moment ink went to paper that he was in route.

Give me Gallo over Mello Yellow any day.

Give me the guy w savvy that can find teammates, knows how to reach them and when it counts can keep them in line w big money play in crunch time.

That aint Melo to me.

Give me the guy who when you get him on the court wants to cut your heart out, stomp on it and watch the blood run.

That aint Melo.

Thas Kobe.

Thas Gallo (only that one aspect, not comparing Gallo to Kobe just yet peeps slow down) even.

Melo is the reincarnation of Bernard King, but not nearly as efficient.

Melo is an itch in Kobe's pants.

He couldn't get the Lakers out of the second round w Pau Gasol and Bynum. :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::gony:

Last edited:

shaolin

Benchwarmer
I don't like the argument that Melo on the lakers in place of Kobe will win the ring. He has to learn the triangle offense, which basically takes a full year to learn. I do believe that team can win the ring in year two though, or at least that team has a legitimate chance.

The argument I would use is how Melo plays on team USA. He was one of the most consistent scorers and he has shown his passing ability, which, in my opinion, is easily over average. He has shown he can rebound well and was the most clutch scorer in the past 2 olympics. When you put elite talent on one team, the best players will usually shine. Melo was easily among the best of the elite for two FULL world basketball seasons. While Denver is good, it is not a playoff team w/o Melo. Melo alone adds about 10 wins to that team, if not more.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Plan A

I know.

Put him on a team with Amar'e Stoudamire, Anthony Randolph, Danilo Gallinari, Ray Felton, Wilson Chandler, Ronny Turiaf, Timofey Mosgov, Toney Douglas, and Bill Walker.

Hmm. Where can we find such a team?

portega1968

El Cacique
so I see this thread has turned into a Kobe vs Melo debate.... booooring.

How can Melo be deemed overrated? How many of those players on the list won a NCAA Championship?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
so I see this thread has turned into a Kobe vs Melo debate.... booooring.

How can Melo be deemed overrated? How many of those players on the list won a NCAA Championship?

Why bring up what a player did in college in a debate about what said player can hypothetically do on another team in the NBA??

Domination in college does not always translate into success in the NBA, nor does being a really good unknown player from a small school automatically preclude one from said success.

And to state the obvious, why make a point on such a boooooooooring topic?

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
LOL, this dude DOES NOT RESPECT CARMELO ANTHONY!

Thats OK, YOU will learn pretty fast if he goes to the Bulls or the Knicks

portega1968

El Cacique
Why bring up what a player did in college in a debate about what said player can hypothetically do on another team in the NBA??

Domination in college does not always translate into success in the NBA, nor does being a really good unknown player from a small school automatically preclude one from said success.

And to state the obvious, why make a point on such a boooooooooring topic?

what he did in college is totally relevant, IMO... if you dont agree, no probs

the topic is not boring... the argument of Kobe vs Carmelo is