bulls discuss melo for noah and others

Smooth

Benchwarmer
Source: Nuggets discuss Noah in deal for Carmelo Anthony

Source: Bulls discuss Carmelo Anthony
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r3.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('5550421','http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5550421'); });</SCRIPT><CITE class=source>ESPNChicago.com
</CITE>
<!-- begin story body -->The Chicago Bulls are interested in trading for the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony, a league source told ESPNChicago.com on Thursday.
And while the source said that the team is holding internal discussions as to whether the Bulls would allow Joakim Noah to be part of any deal, Chicago has not reached a consensus. Another source close to the situation told ESPNChicago.com's Nick Friedell that Noah would not be part of an Anthony deal.
<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE MODULE -->
ESPNChicago.com Bulls blog

The latest news from Bulls reporter Nick Friedell. Blog

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 -->The Nuggets are hesitant to take back Luol Deng as part of a deal with the Bulls because Denver is leery of taking on long-term contracts with the collective bargaining agreement set to expire on June 30, 2011. Deng is two years into a six-year, $71 million contract, the initial source said.

Noah will make $3.1 million this season in the fourth year of his rookie deal. The center would become a restricted free agent next season unless the Bulls extend his contract.

Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday that an NBA source with knowledge of Anthony's wishes told him Anthony still hopes to convince Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri to trade him, and he prefers a move to the New York Knicks or Bulls.

The Nuggets offered Anthony a three-year, $65 million extension through 2014, but if he rejects it, the team will have to consider trading the forward who has guided them to seven straight playoff berths.

"I think I'm going to convince him to be a Nugget," Ujiri said on Aug. 31. "No, I don't know, I can't make a judgment on that. Like I said, it's a process and until he tells me that ... we want him back, the city wants him back, ownership wants him back."

Anthony has never come out and said he wanted to be traded, however.

At his basketball camp this summer, Anthony dismissed all the speculation of his impending departure from Denver: "I've been hearing that for five years. I'm a Denver Nugget. I'm here, I'm with the Nuggets. I don't become a free agent until next year, if I decide not to take that extension."

Anthony, 26, has averaged 24.7 points per game in his career, including 28.2 last season.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
of course as a Knicks fan I would hate this deal to go down thus I am naturally going to downplay this trade

That said even with me trying to be non biased I don't see how that is a good deal for Denver.

Now at first I thought it was Noah and Deng for Carmelo then I got kinda scared, but as the reports suggest Denver has no desire to take back Deng's huge contract that said I don't see how the deal could get done.

They literally do not have the peices to make this deal happen if Deng's contract is not included to make it work financially because obviously Noah's 3 million dollar contract can't be swapped straight up for Carmelo's 13 million.

Deng is basically making the same amount per year as Brandon Roy....problem is he is not that calliber of player.

Parting ways with Carmelo and taking on a cap killing contract (the year before the New CBA is set to come out) would be a double whammy.

If the reports are right that NY and Chicago are Melo's prefeered destinations then we gotta feel good about our ability to trade for him vs. Chicago if Denver is truly leary of Deng's contract.....which they should be in my somewhat biased opinion

:gony:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I knew this was real. This is a very logical choice for Melo Yellow. Chicago is kinda loaded. They can give up the players to get him. Let em'... :peace:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I can't see Denver being that eager to take on Deng's $50mil+ for the next 4 years when they're gonna be trying to rebuild. How are they gonna resign/replace J.R., Martin, Afflalo (possibly; team's decision), Nene (possibly; his decision) this year and Billups after next year if they pick up his $14m team option, with Deng's money, Harrington's new deal, and Birdman on the books with those 3 deals alone equaling about $96 million total. The ****?

Ok so the Bulls are looking to possibly trade Noah...nice....who else? Because Melo for Noah and picks doesn't match up salarywise. They're gonna have to do some demolition to their roster to get that $3mil from Noah to even come close to the $17mil Melo makes. Easiest way? Deng. Does Denver want that burden? Probably not.

So yeah, Melo might have said it's the Knicks and the Bulls, but how does the deal happen with the Bulls? Either they rape their roster viciously to get him (and he can change his mind and block the trade) or Denver has to do the one thing that no GM ever wants to do and that's take on a bad, burdensome, overpaid contract in exchange for the face of the franchise.

At least the Knicks can offer young players (doesn't even have to be Gallo or Randolph) and cap relief. We're still in this as much as the Bulls are (and neither team was on Denver's preferred list of trading partners so I don't see why people suddenly think Chicago has the upper hand.)

Too much fear mongering going around. Take these new reports with a grain of salt and just continue as is.

There's too much hype about this Mello trade, the Denver fans can't be happy. Change is on the horizon 4sure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...-the-trigger-on-a-Melo-deal-to?urn=nba-268755

When it goes down, I'm almost positive it will be before training camp. As of right now, the talk of transactions have been very quite...which suggest to me there is some heavy wheeling and dealing going on behind the sceens. It's aways like this, the calm before the storm.

I always said "don't get used to this current roster" because it's flooded with trade bait, and the Knicks brass (mainly Dolan) wants to win/be true contenders NOW, not later in the near future...there are no gaurantees in the near future. People who are used to loosing may think in this way, but winners always want it now and later. The team will not be gutted, but I'm expecting a multi team trade soon. And, the likes of Gallo, Walker, Curry, have all been in mentioned throughout the underground grapevine.

It's going to get interesting soon, I can smell the rain in the air...

Paul1355

All Star
Source: Bulls discuss Carmelo Anthony
<script type="text/javascript"> jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r3.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('5550421','http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5550421'); });</script><cite class="source">ESPNChicago.com
</cite>
<!-- begin story body -->The Chicago Bulls are interested in trading for the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony, a league source told ESPNChicago.com on Thursday.
And while the source said that the team is holding internal discussions as to whether the Bulls would allow Joakim Noah to be part of any deal, Chicago has not reached a consensus. Another source close to the situation told ESPNChicago.com's Nick Friedell that Noah would not be part of an Anthony deal.
<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE MODULE -->
ESPNChicago.com Bulls blog

The latest news from Bulls reporter Nick Friedell. Blog

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 -->The Nuggets are hesitant to take back Luol Deng as part of a deal with the Bulls because Denver is leery of taking on long-term contracts with the collective bargaining agreement set to expire on June 30, 2011. Deng is two years into a six-year, $71 million contract, the initial source said.

Noah will make $3.1 million this season in the fourth year of his rookie deal. The center would become a restricted free agent next season unless the Bulls extend his contract.

Yahoo! Sports reported Wednesday that an NBA source with knowledge of Anthony's wishes told him Anthony still hopes to convince Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri to trade him, and he prefers a move to the New York Knicks or Bulls.

The Nuggets offered Anthony a three-year, $65 million extension through 2014, but if he rejects it, the team will have to consider trading the forward who has guided them to seven straight playoff berths.

"I think I'm going to convince him to be a Nugget," Ujiri said on Aug. 31. "No, I don't know, I can't make a judgment on that. Like I said, it's a process and until he tells me that ... we want him back, the city wants him back, ownership wants him back."

Anthony has never come out and said he wanted to be traded, however.

At his basketball camp this summer, Anthony dismissed all the speculation of his impending departure from Denver: "I've been hearing that for five years. I'm a Denver Nugget. I'm here, I'm with the Nuggets. I don't become a free agent until next year, if I decide not to take that extension."

Anthony, 26, has averaged 24.7 points per game in his career, including 28.2 last season.
Noah could be a better prospect than Gallo because Centers are so rare in the NBA now.

Noah is a hustling shotblocking Center, not many of those around except Anderson Varejao.

Noah + James Johnson(good scorer) + Taj Gibson + 1st round pick would be an awesome move to give up for Melo who is leaving anyways.

Watch out Knick fans.

Once the Bulls get Melo, they are going for Rudy.

Possible lineup of:
Rose
Fernandez
Melo
Boozer
Kurt Thomas

is a sick nasty team.

That team would be the 2nd best team in the East and could compete with the Heat to 6 and possibly 7 games if they all gelled.

New New York

Quiet Storm
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/1589/noahs-not-going-anywhere

NOAH is deemed untouchable by The Bulls!

So with Denver not willing to take back Deng's contract and Noah reportadly not being offered, then Melo to Chicago went from less than likely to impossible....again if these reports are indeed true

Hey at least we are still just less than likely in our chances to get Melo!

If the deal doesnt get done it is simply because Denver does not want to deal w/ NY, which may very well be the case, but we still have the best chance at getting him in a trade as anyone.

And as much as Curry is becoming as much of an eye sore for me to still see on our roster as Jerome James was (well maybe not that bad, I still don't like Jerome James to this day!) his contract is proving to be invaluable at this point because of it being expiring.

Just think if Donnie flips Curry's contract into a deal for Melo he would be a bonafied Knicks legend as GM

Here is why.....he flipped two cap killing contracts in Crawford and Zach for expiring deals that made us players in this year's FA class (on the same day no-less) got rid of Jefferies' bad contract while only surrendering a bust player in the making and a first rounder, had the savvy to know how much it meant to the franchise to dump Jerome James (honestly my favorite move).

So if (big,huge if) he did trade Curry in a deal that got Melo he wouldve un-did 5 of Isiah's worst trades and signings by making sure non of them played out their contracts as Knicks all in while revamping the team.

Again can't give him credit yet because this deal has all the potential to be one of those summer flings that George Karl spoke of, but if it goes down......

nuckles2k2

Superstar

So with Denver not willing to take back Deng's contract and Noah reportadly not being offered, then Melo to Chicago went from less than likely to impossible....again if these reports are indeed true

If the deal doesnt get done it is simply because Denver does not want to deal w/ NY, which may very well be the case, but we still have the best chance at getting him in a trade as anyone.

And as much as Curry is becoming as much of an eye sore for me to still see on our roster as Jerome James was (well maybe not that bad, I still don't like Jerome James to this day!) his contract is proving to be invaluable at this point because of it being expiring.

Just think if Donnie flips Curry's contract into a deal for Melo he would be a bonafied Knicks legend as GM

Here is why.....he flipped two cap killing contracts in Crawford and Zach for expiring deals that made us players in this year's FA class (on the same day no-less) got rid of Jefferies' bad contract while only surrendering a bust player in the making and a first rounder, had the savvy to know how much it meant to the franchise to dump Jerome James (honestly my favorite move).

So if (big,huge if) he did trade Curry in a deal that got Melo he wouldve un-did 5 of Isiah's worst trades and signings by making sure non of them played out their contracts as Knicks all in while revamping the team.

Again can't give him credit yet because this deal has all the potential to be one of those summer flings that George Karl spoke of, but if it goes down......

Like I stated over and over in that other thread about Melo.

If we are to get him, it will be on the cheap because at that point we would be the last willing trade partner and we would only get him if Denver caves in and feels they need compensation for him.

A lot has to happen for that scenario to come about, but it looks like things might be under way. Right now we just sit back and watch.

That quote sums up the argument I've been arguing for the past couple of weeks and it looks like it's coming to fruition. With the Bulls saying "you can't have Noah" and the Nets saying "you can't have Lopez" why would the Knicks say "do you want Gallo and Randolph?"

I said it once and I'll say it again, if we are to get Melo at all this year it will be on the cheap because Melo is forcing his way here (by signing the extension for certain teams.) If it gets down to the Knicks then there aren't any other trade partners that he'll sign the extension for and we don't have to outbid anyone. If a team takes a chance on him and decimates their roster for a guy that might not be around after the season...let them...if he signs the extension there...fine. But we only get him if all other options are exhausted. And if he said Chi-town and NYC, and Chi-town said "no" to the only player that the Nuggets can conceivably get their hands on to make it worth their wild...well it's down to the Knicks. Lets see what happens.

I just find it funny that I was told over and over again by certain members (I won't mention screennames, but it wasn't New New York, he just happened to post this article) that I was wrong.

Paul1355

All Star

sorry but this is B.S

If the Bulls can put Melo, Rose, and Boozer together they will give up on Noah.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
sorry but this is B.S

They'll not trade Noah for the same reasons that the Lakers weren't gonna part with Bynum for Bosh and why the Nets said "no" to trading Lopez. Teams tend to want to hold onto what they believe to be excellent young centers.

All the Bulls need is a solid scorer and they can always find one of those in the draft or in the FA. Add by addition, not by subtraction. They're better off needing to find a scorer as opposed to needing a young center, and to fill out the rest of their roster (because Noah's $3mil and Melo's $17mil obviously don't match up, a lot of players would have to change hands for that deal.)

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Ronorania go join the nuggetsonline.com forum.

I dont like you

Lol :teeth:, sry dude I just can't get excited about the prospect of having Carmelo Anthony. He's like Iverson, just not as good. You guys are all enamored with him, but I think Gallo will grow into a more well-rounded player and be better for our team in the long run. :gony:

elcol

Rotation player
Lol :teeth:, sry dude I just can't get excited about the prospect of having Carmelo Anthony. He's like Iverson, just not as good. You guys are all enamored with him, but I think Gallo will grow into a more well-rounded player and be better for our team in the long run. :gony:

but i want a championship NOW!

waaaaaaaaaaaa

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
but i want a championship NOW!

waaaaaaaaaaaa

I don't think Melo is the kind of player that would get us a Championship any time soon. He's not a good defender, isn't aware of teammates on O and is just a scorer. As a main guy he doesn't do enough in other areas to help a team win a Championship in the NBA.

I would like to see him take fewer shots, improve his shot selection and defend better. Then I'd be higher on him. Until then he's Melo Yellow in my eyes.

Last edited:

elcol

Rotation player
bulls can go and discuss melo for noah and others at bullsonline.com

rono: he has led denver too like 4 playoffs though?

New New York

Quiet Storm
sorry but this is B.S

ok lets just say the report is "B.S.", then how do the Bulls get around the fact that Denver has no interest in taking on Deng's large salary?

Truth be told I too would trade Noah in a deal that got Melo if I could pair him up with Rose and Boozer, but if Denver is unwilling to take on Deng then that is the deal breaker.

Again there are plenty of other teams that I think could offer better than us, but if the reports are true that it comes down to us and Chi. then the ball is certainley in our court.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
bulls can go and discuss melo for noah and others at bullsonline.com

rono: he has led denver too like 4 playoffs though?

Yes that's right but weren't we originally talking about championships. You wanted one NOW right??

Iverson led the Sixers to multiple playoff births including one to the Finals, but no championships as the main-guy-scorer. Melo is very similar to Iverson in that he is primarily a scorer and needs to be the main guy w the ball in hands.

He brings the hammer. Other than that, his tool bag is pretty light= no NBA championships as the main guy. It's pretty simple.

We don't need him on the Knicks. He won't compliment Amare as well as Gallo. :gony:

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Yes that's right but weren't we originally talking about championships. You wanted one NOW right??

Iverson led the Sixers to multiple playoff births including one to the Finals, but no championships as the main-guy-scorer. Melo is very similar to Iverson in that he is primarily a scorer and needs to be the main guy w the ball in hands.

He brings the hammer. Other than that, his tool bag is pretty light= no NBA championships as the main guy. It's pretty simple.

We don't need him on the Knicks. He won't compliment Amare as well as Gallo. :gony:
during his prime did Iverson ever have a low post presence and/or dominate scorer like Amare to share the load?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
fair enough

during his prime did Iverson ever have a low post presence and/or dominate scorer like Amare to share the load?

If Melo came here here he would be the guy. I do not believe he would compliment Amare well due to him needing to have the ball in his hands. His skill set doesn't fit well w an offense predicated on team concept, i.e. sharing the basketball and working it to the open man, like we have here w the SSOL.

You make a fair point about him never having someone to compliment his game. I just question his ability to compliment the abilities of another star, aswell as other teammates.