Fine Pine.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...-i-mean-it.php

The Knicks bench could win them some games. No, I mean it.
Mon Sep 13,2010 7:20 PM ET By Kurt Helin
While you were busy talking about how the Knicks missed out on LeBron and Wade but got that Amare guy and he's not that bad, you missed something.

Donnie Walsh put together a pretty deep team.

Not deep with name guys in the Lakers sense, but similar in one way -- deep with guys who fit the system. The Lakers, Celtics (mostly, we'll see about Shaq), Spurs, Suns have all been very good at this, getting role players who really fit in with what they want to do.

The Knicks did that this summer.

Let's assume a starting five of the Knicks tall lineup: Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Anthony Randolph, Amar'e Stoudemire and Ronnie Turiaf. (Nobody knows who will actually start, not even Mike D'Antoni at this point, maybe Wilson Chandler starts at the two, Gallinari at the three and Randolph comes off the bench, but we'll go with the tall lineup for now.)

Off the bench would come Toney Douglas, Wilson Chandler, Kelenna Azubuike, Roger Mason Jr., Larry Fields, Eddy Curry and Timofey Mozgov.

That is not a lineup of All-Stars. But it is a lineup of guys who are athletic, who can run, who can drain the three, who can score. Guys who fit the system. It's sort of like what the Suns had last year -- a group of guys who hustled and blended with what the Suns wanted to do and could put up points. That Suns group won regular season games -- it also won a Western Conference finals game. It was a big part of what the Suns did.

Douglas can run the point a little and is we learned one thing about Mozgov at the World Championships it's that he can set a good pick, roll to the hole and finish. You can picture a drag screen with them being effective. Mason could bounce back to the form that made him a supersub in San Antonio -- picture him sprinting down the court to an open spot on the arc and draining the transition three.

Once he really gets healthy and his strength back, Azubuike may be the starter. He is more dynamic than Chandler. In the short term Azubuike is going to be explosive off the bench. And Wilson Chandler showed last year he can ball in this system.

Eddy Curry... let's not bet on it. But if he can even return to the 15 PER guy he was two seasons ago -- a league average guy -- at the five off the bench? Huge boost for this team.

Mike D'Antoni's system is built in part on conditioning and wearing another team down -- they are going to run and run and run and you will not be able to keep up. You will wear down. They will break you.

To do that takes more than five -- it takes nine or 10 deep. The Knicks have that now.

There will be a lot o playing around with lineups and matchups. It may take a while to figure out the rotations. But the Knicks have depth now, they have athletes deep on the roster.

And that could win them some games.

In a recent debacle known as 'Knicks Summer Report Card' - http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8806 - a questionably sane ****drip named John Schuhmann (a surname which sounds like a vomit mating call) the Knicks received an overall grade of a C for their bench. A 'C'

Here is the Knick bench as I see it:

6- The Gov - behind Ronnie
7- Chandler - behind Gallo
8- Randolph - behind Stat/Gallo/Gov
9- Douglas - behind Felton
10- Azabuike - circumstantial
11- Walker - unclear on his role
12- Eddy Curry - behind herpes, cancer and mosquitoes

I mean, if our entire starting 5 came down with Dengu Fever and we had to put our bench in for an entire week, I wouldn't be surprised if they won 2 of 7 games. Is that bias? They wouldn't win in a 7 game Western road trip against the West's power house teams, but they'd compete with the starting 5 of teams like:

-Minnesota
-Golden State
-The Clips
-Philly
-The Craptors
-Washinton
-Indiana

If Mike D can take a leaf out of the book of his previous subordinate, Alvin Gentry, and use this bench effectively, then it's worth a B

Last edited:

iJoe

Rotation player
Wow so many people on the forums have major PMS. Are you so insecure that you read everything as a personal attack on you?

You linked to another forum thread. You don't see many people ever link to a forum thread to talk about the same topics in that thread. You could still have posted in the original thread and it would make perfect and logical sense. In fact there were people who talked about the bench portion in spoken thread. Hence I asked why you felt the need to start another one. Very very simple.

Toons

is the Bo$$
cosign, i like our bench, and the idea of gallo at the 2. our best shooter, at shooting guard

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Don't waste my time please.

Wow so many people on the forums have major PMS. Are you so insecure that you read everything as a personal attack on you?

You linked to another forum thread. You don't see many people ever link to a forum thread to talk about the same topics in that thread. You could still have posted in the original thread and it would make perfect and logical sense. In fact there were people who talked about the bench portion in spoken thread. Hence I asked why you felt the need to start another one. Very very simple.

Insecure? No. If you're going to add to a thread by giving instructions on internet decorum, then why bother? **** off no doubt was a bit strong, but should I care?

You could still have posted in the original thread and it would make perfect and logical sense.
Really? Well I'm a non sensical citizen then aren't I! The shame!

All I'd ask you to do in a thread I create, would be to add to the topic at hand. A Is that not the premise of forming a discussion? To discuss or add to a discussion constructively? Not act like a hall monitor. Very, very simple.

Is there anything you would like to say about the Knick bench?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Mike D'Antoni's system is built in part on conditioning and wearing another team down -- they are going to run and run and run and you will not be able to keep up. You will wear down. They will break you.

I just wanted to highlight this for Smokes since this was exactly what we were debating in another thread.

metrocard

Legend

Crazy8's is a notorious attention whore with an inferiority complex.

iJoe

Rotation player
Crazy8's is a notorious attention whore with an inferiority complex.

Haha seriously. I wasn't "giving instructions on internet decorum", in fact I never told Crazy what to do. I simply asked. What he reads into things shows a lot about his character and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Haha seriously. I wasn't "giving instructions on internet decorum", in fact I never told Crazy what to do. I simply asked. What he reads into things shows a lot about his character and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Dude. You're just another July 2010 kid that no one listens to. What I read in to? Jesus Christ.... I'm reading in to another post by a net pest. Don't bother replying.

Last edited: