Source: Alan Hahn
Credit: Tommy Dee, Alan Hahn, The Knicks Blog (which got it from Hahns 3.99 blog that is just so FRIGGIN special on Newsday.)
The perspective from the Knicks is that their best play would be to go after Carmelo as a free agent, so they wouldn’t have to weaken their roster by trading away players. But Carmelo and his people are worried — with good reason — that the same money available to him now under the current agreement won’t be there when he does become a free agent under the new agreement. The only thing that could save him is if the league offered a concession that grandfathered 2011 free agents under the old deal….
Denver would prefer to send him to a team that can offer the most value for him, but, of course, Carmelo does have some say on his next destination because, of course, he would have to agree to an extension, first.
So the question that he entered the summer with remains: what’s more important to him: the security of a max extension or the appeal of a desired big-market address? He has a season to figure that out.
Based on information I’ve received it would seem that Melo would like to be dealt but I think it’s obvious he knows that a deal won’t happen anytime soon. Here in lies the standoff as we’ve talked about a million times. If Denver feels that Melo will test free agent waters, then they will have to settle on a trade. Melo would likely rather have a deal in place before this summer.
Bottom line at this point, as Alan states, there doesn’t seem to be a rush from Denver’s perspective or NY’s in the Melo situation.
Bad teams may be willing to trade for Melo, not really for basketball but for tickets sales (Wolves, Nets, Kings) . Teams that like their nucleus and are playoff teams are willing to wait it out (Knicks, Bulls,). I can only see the Magic trade before the deadline.
I think Carmelo stays a Nugget this year. Carmelo may want to wait and see how the negotiations for the CBA go. I think it may be resolved by the All Star game if not earlier - definitely before the trade deadline. If the the new CBA is fine be Melo. He will wait next year as well.
ONLY GREATNESS EQUALS GREATNESS
Let's pray he can get grandfathered in. The implications of that are monumental, and barring total cluster****, we become a BIGTIME, premier, young contender.
If he doesn't, we can hope a team like CHI can work something where they do a rental with hopes of taking a title down ASAP and being able to persuade him to stay after a yr their and having won (or come close to it).
Or DEN really panicking because Melo plays serious hardball and he comes to us right away in a sweetheart deal (sadly, even a sweetheart deal could likely include Gallo).
I think I'd bank on those in order of preference, starting at the top. Even though the 2nd and 3rd are really debateable in terms of risk-reward.