Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Can Mason Jr Bounce Back?

  1. #1
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Can Mason Jr Bounce Back?

    Good read:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    I just wish we had Rudy. I would feel a lot more comfortable with the SG position if we had him.

    World Championships -- 15.5 points per game on 62 percent shooting, 42 percent shooting from three.

  2. #2
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Good read:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    I just wish we had Rudy. I would feel a lot more comfortable with the SG position if we had him.

    World Championships -- 15.5 points per game on 62 percent shooting, 42 percent shooting from three.
    nice anaylsis of Masons game.

    I really feel that Mason will bounce back and possibly be the starter over Chandler if Wilson's outside shot has not improved.

    From the look of our lineup, it is focused around the Felton-Amare pick and roll and that Amare will draw defenders down low to kick it out to open players at three.
    If Mason and Gallo are camping outside on each corner three, we can score more points than if Wilson was out there having to charge the hoop or shoot inside to make shots.

    Mason also plays some PG so we could have two ball distributors in at the same time if Mason started, plus Mason brings experience and clutch shooting to a young team.

    And with the fast paced system, Mason's numbers should double.

    This can be a possible starting lineup come Oct. 27th
    Felton
    Mason
    Gallo
    Amare
    Turiaf

    If Mike D is going to run SSOL( or better known as run and chuck) then he might as well put an experienced clutch shooter over a slashing defending young wing man in Chandler.

  3. #3
    Veteran GetRealistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,370
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Good read:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    I just wish we had Rudy. I would feel a lot more comfortable with the SG position if we had him.

    World Championships -- 15.5 points per game on 62 percent shooting, 42 percent shooting from three.
    The Problem is Portland is completely over valuing Rudy. A first round pick for a guy whose under achieved over his brief NBA career? No thanks.

    I think a combo of Buike/Mason and possibly even Rauntins can handle the two guard position.

    Plus knowing D'Antoni you'll see a lot of hybrid lineups were there go small with Felton and Douglas as the backup or go super big with Gallo as the 2 and Randolph at the 3.

    But barring an awful camp i'd start Mason at the two if Buike isn't healthy enough.

  4. #4
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by GetRealistic
    The Problem is Portland is completely over valuing Rudy. A first round pick for a guy whose under achieved over his brief NBA career? No thanks.

    I think a combo of Buike/Mason and possibly even Rauntins can handle the two guard position.

    Plus knowing D'Antoni you'll see a lot of hybrid lineups were there go small with Felton and Douglas as the backup or go super big with Gallo as the 2 and Randolph at the 3.

    But barring an awful camp i'd start Mason at the two if Buike isn't healthy enough.
    Yeah. Portland is definitely asking too much. I thought it was just Pritchard but turns out it's just the way they try to do business: screw everybody over for a trade in their favor.

    But that still doesn't make me NOT want Rudy. If Portland lowers their price, hopefully we can get him. He would be the perfect answer for a gaping hole in our roster.

    Azubuike isn't even running yet. It will be a long time before he's ready to play. I'm hoping for mid-season. But by then it will have been over a year since he's played basketball. It will take some time for him to get back into it.

    I just don't feel comfortable with Mason or Chandler as our starting SG.

  5. #5
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    nice anaylsis of Masons game.

    I really feel that Mason will bounce back and possibly be the starter over Chandler if Wilson's outside shot has not improved.

    From the look of our lineup, it is focused around the Felton-Amare pick and roll and that Amare will draw defenders down low to kick it out to open players at three.
    If Mason and Gallo are camping outside on each corner three, we can score more points than if Wilson was out there having to charge the hoop or shoot inside to make shots.

    Mason also plays some PG so we could have two ball distributors in at the same time if Mason started, plus Mason brings experience and clutch shooting to a young team.

    And with the fast paced system, Mason's numbers should double.

    This can be a possible starting lineup come Oct. 27th
    Felton
    Mason
    Gallo
    Amare
    Turiaf

    If Mike D is going to run SSOL( or better known as run and chuck) then he might as well put an experienced clutch shooter over a slashing defending young wing man in Chandler.



    Feels good to agree w you for once Paul. Nice post!

    That starting line up is realistic and looking very nice to me. Very exciting!!
    Last edited by ronoranina; Sep 18, 2010 at 21:38.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,967
    Rep Power
    18

    Nyk Logo

    It's not a question on Mason Jr. bouncing back, he is the best experience SG
    we have on the Knicks roster to give starting minutes to.
    If SG-Azu was healthy, Mason Jr. should still be given the starting job over him.
    The same goes for bench player Rudy Fernandez.
    Dont get angry yet.

    Mason Jr. has proved to be a decent veteran starter in both the East & West conferences
    (Mason has been a decent 24 mpg starter).
    Mason Jr. excelled in the Princeston-offense to help the Wizards to a 43 win season in 2007-8,
    plus jell in the backcourt with Parker/Ginobli/Finley for the Spurs 50 & 54 win seasons.
    Mason's shot location and form of shooting took on a major change last season
    b/c coach Pop Spurs took on a new change by giving major minutes of playingtime
    to Jefferson & Hill, with PG-Parker only playing 50 something games last season.
    The new addition of SF-Richard Jefferson 32 mpg in 81 games lastseason never
    played up to half the potential the Spurs expected from him. Richardson was a "BUST"
    throughout the Spurs vs Suns playoff series 4-0 sweep by the Phoenix Suns.
    Spur Fans wish they kept Udoka.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,967
    Rep Power
    18

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    nice anaylsis of Masons game.

    I really feel that Mason will bounce back and possibly be the starter over Chandler if Wilson's outside shot has not improved.

    From the look of our lineup, it is focused around the Felton-Amare pick and roll and that Amare will draw defenders down low to kick it out to open players at three.
    If Mason and Gallo are camping outside on each corner three, we can score more points than if Wilson was out there having to charge the hoop or shoot inside to make shots.

    Mason also plays some PG so we could have two ball distributors in at the same time if Mason started, plus Mason brings experience and clutch shooting to a young team.

    And with the fast paced system, Mason's numbers should double.

    This can be a possible starting lineup come Oct. 27th
    Felton
    Mason
    Gallo
    Amare
    Turiaf

    If Mike D is going to run SSOL( or better known as run and chuck) then he might as well put an experienced clutch shooter over a slashing defending young wing man in Chandler.
    I watch the number one 3-ball shooting team last season in the NBA,
    the Orlando Magic lose their first 3 games in a playoff series vs Boston
    Celtics.
    The Magic won the 4th game in overtime by C-Dwight Howard scoring 30
    something points and pulling 13 or 15 rebounds.
    The Magic signed "Pick n Roll" Duhon quick this FA offseason.
    If anyone can Recall Shaq & Penny taking the Orlando Magic to the Finals
    (back in the daze) to lose the series in a 4-0 sweep to the Houston Rockets
    should remember the Orlando Magic were the number one 3-ball shooting
    team in the NBA that regular season.

    The Starters above will give oponents a big rebounding advantage in the
    first/third quarters b/c the average team will not go out to defend the
    3-ball line early in the game, but they will take the ball inside on all our
    3-ball shooters to get Amare/Turiaf into early foul trouble.
    So this starting lineup is a defensive coach dream of defending at the start
    of the game. All contender teams practice hard on defending the 3-ball in the
    4th quarter, and at the end of each quarter.
    Felton (3-ball shooter)
    Mason (3-ball shooter)
    Gallo (3-ball shooter)
    Amare (20-10)
    Turiaf (defensive rebounding)

    Having one or even two 3-ball shooters in a steady lineup is decent to have
    if both shooters have other quality skills to fit into the lineup (Billups/RIP or
    Ray/Pierce). Having three 3-ball shooters in a lineup is something u use when
    switching offensive/defensive lineups in crunchtime (Ray/Pierce/House or
    Fisher/Kobe/Ariza).

  8. #8
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    It's not a question on Mason Jr. bouncing back, he is the best experience SG
    we have on the Knicks roster to give starting minutes to.
    If SG-Azu was healthy, Mason Jr. should still be given the starting job over him.
    The same goes for bench player Rudy Fernandez.
    Dont get angry yet.

    Mason Jr. has proved to be a decent veteran starter in both the East & West conferences
    (Mason has been a decent 24 mpg starter).
    Mason Jr. excelled in the Princeston-offense to help the Wizards to a 43 win season in 2007-8,
    plus jell in the backcourt with Parker/Ginobli/Finley for the Spurs 50 & 54 win seasons.
    Mason's shot location and form of shooting took on a major change last season
    b/c coach Pop Spurs took on a new change by giving major minutes of playingtime
    to Jefferson & Hill, with PG-Parker only playing 50 something games last season.
    The new addition of SF-Richard Jefferson 32 mpg in 81 games lastseason never
    played up to half the potential the Spurs expected from him. Richardson was a "BUST"
    throughout the Spurs vs Suns playoff series 4-0 sweep by the Phoenix Suns.
    Spur Fans wish they kept Udoka.
    You're wrong Kiya, as always. If Azu was healthy or if we had Rudy, Mason would not start. Experience doesn't always equate to the better player.

    Mason shot 33% from 3-point last year because his stroke changed due to an injured hand, not because minutes were given to Jefferson and Hill.

  9. #9
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina



    Feels good to agree w you for once Paul. Nice post!

    That starting line up is realistic and looking very nice to me. Very exciting!!
    i was surprised to see this lol

    I also checked out Kiya's post about us not getting a lot of rebounds since we will have guys camping outside, resulting in teams playing back and attacking the boards. This might be so but the lineup only works if Mason and Gallo are making shots.

    I do think this can be the best starting lineup because everyone compliments each other.

    If Azubuike was helathy, then I'd slide him in the starting lineup but he won't be 100% for a few months.

  10. #10
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    I watch the number one 3-ball shooting team last season in the NBA,
    the Orlando Magic lose their first 3 games in a playoff series vs Boston
    Celtics.
    The Magic won the 4th game in overtime by C-Dwight Howard scoring 30
    something points and pulling 13 or 15 rebounds.
    The Magic signed "Pick n Roll" Duhon quick this FA offseason.
    If anyone can Recall Shaq & Penny taking the Orlando Magic to the Finals
    (back in the daze) to lose the series in a 4-0 sweep to the Houston Rockets
    should remember the Orlando Magic were the number one 3-ball shooting
    team in the NBA that regular season.

    The Starters above will give oponents a big rebounding advantage in the
    first/third quarters b/c the average team will not go out to defend the
    3-ball line early in the game, but they will take the ball inside on all our
    3-ball shooters to get Amare/Turiaf into early foul trouble.
    So this starting lineup is a defensive coach dream of defending at the start
    of the game. All contender teams practice hard on defending the 3-ball in the
    4th quarter, and at the end of each quarter.
    Felton (3-ball shooter)
    Mason (3-ball shooter)
    Gallo (3-ball shooter)
    Amare (20-10)
    Turiaf (defensive rebounding)

    Having one or even two 3-ball shooters in a steady lineup is decent to have
    if both shooters have other quality skills to fit into the lineup (Billups/RIP or
    Ray/Pierce). Having three 3-ball shooters in a lineup is something u use when
    switching offensive/defensive lineups in crunchtime (Ray/Pierce/House or
    Fisher/Kobe/Ariza).
    Your right that three point shooting teams are usually not effective, but when you make the Magic comparison, Dwight Howard is not solid offensively. Amare is a post threat that demands a double team, especially in the playoffs. You can put a big strong center on Dwight and he will miss many shots. Without Dwight developing a solid offensive game, the Magic will never get over that hump with this lineup.

    Amare is what can make us win some playoff games. Teams will run to guard him and leave Mason, Gallo, and Felton open who can all make the open shot with ease. Howard does not have the offensive moves or capability to cause havoc in the post like Amare can, yet.

    I agree that teams might start getting more rebounds off the knicks because they will play back and attack the boards, but if we start hitting shots from the outside, due to Amare's double teams, then teams will be forced to play a 3-2 zone or something were they have to guard the outside shot. Once they do this, Amare is left in isolation down low which is were he destroys defenders.

    So the strategy could work for our team.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,967
    Rep Power
    18

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Your right that three point shooting teams are usually not effective, but when you make the Magic comparison, Dwight Howard is not solid offensively. Amare is a post threat that demands a double team, especially in the playoffs. You can put a big strong center on Dwight and he will miss many shots. Without Dwight developing a solid offensive game, the Magic will never get over that hump with this lineup.

    Amare is what can make us win some playoff games. Teams will run to guard him and leave Mason, Gallo, and Felton open who can all make the open shot with ease. Howard does not have the offensive moves or capability to cause havoc in the post like Amare can, yet.

    I agree that teams might start getting more rebounds off the knicks because they will play back and attack the boards, but if we start hitting shots from the outside, due to Amare's double teams, then teams will be forced to play a 3-2 zone or something were they have to guard the outside shot. Once they do this, Amare is left in isolation down low which is were he destroys defenders.

    So the strategy could work for our team.

    Yes, I do agree the strategy will be successfull
    Many different strategy plays could be made up to make the 3-ball affective for us with a line up of Felton/Mason/Gallo/Amare/Turiaf, but in the 4th quarter. Not at the start of the game.

    We want an inside/outside offense to start each game this season.
    Whether our coach Dantoni or certain fans like it or not, our starting lineup should be PG-Felton/SG-Mason/SF-Chandler/PF-Amare/Turiaf.
    The jellin of Mason/Chandler/Amare offense to start each game will lead our roster to team chemistry. And save bum Damnphony job for another season.
    Putting Gallo in the starting lineup will lead to losses and the firing of Damnphony.
    u pick it???

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,967
    Rep Power
    18

    Game Thread

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    You're wrong Kiya, as always. If Azu was healthy or if we had Rudy, Mason would not start. Experience doesn't always equate to the better player.

    Mason shot 33% from 3-point last year because his stroke changed due to an injured hand, not because minutes were given to Jefferson and Hill.
    u want to read something F up .....
    For a person that is always wrong, at the end of the day Kiya is always right when debating u. Playing injured is another well point taken for Mason Jr. to start over Azu & Rudy.
    The Knicks are a young rebuilding team.
    Mason Jr. brings a much needed veteran discipline to our starting lineup.
    Coach Pop replace athletic Ginobli with veteran Finley in the starting lineup to win another Championship.
    Who is/was more athletic Farmers or Fisher???

Similar Threads

  1. Rudy Fernandez Will Have Back Surgery
    By LJ4ptplay in forum NBA
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 09, 2009, 11:23
  2. We want Metro Back!!!!
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Dec 03, 2007, 03:43
  3. FrankWilliams back or ban
    By rady in forum Hangout
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun 12, 2004, 07:26
  4. Dice back Friday (Yeah right)
    By SpreeFan in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov 15, 2003, 10:20
  5. Back In The Game
    By rady in forum Site Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 19, 2003, 14:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •