Isola reporting Knicks still working on Melo

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks discussing with Rockets possibility of swapping 1st round pick for AR. Isiah is supposedly advising swapping Randolph and Gallo for Melo to get the deal done. I know you guys hate this move and I do also but Melo's trade value is worth two unproven young players that have potential.

It would be ironic if we got Jeffries back in this deal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._knicks_still_eyeing_melo.html?#ixzz0yTuJGnpU

The Nets are closing in on a four-team deal to acquire Anthony from the Nuggets, but until the deal becomes official, the Knicks aren't entirely out of the picture. If Anthony declines to sign an extension with the Nets, the deal is off. And if Anthony plays out the season and enters free agency, the Knicks would be the clear favorites to sign him.

However, the Knicks could also be in position to acquire Anthony via a trade if team president Donnie Walsh can find a first-round pick to include in a potential deal. The Knicks traded their 2012 first-round pick to the Rockets in the Tracy McGrady deal, a decision that Walsh admitted that he now second-guesses. League rules prohibit teams from trading their own first-round picks in consecutive years.

The Knicks conceivably can trade a player for a first-round pick, and there is some interest around the league for Anthony Randolph, the third-year forward who came to New York in the David Lee sign-and-trade with Golden State. According to a source, the Rockets would consider trading a first-round pick for Randolph.

Paul1355

All Star
Id rather trade Gallo..
agreed

Melo is a pure 3 and so is Gallo...if you have Gallo and Melo on the same team then you will have two guys chucking the ball with one out of position.

Randolph is more versatile and can play a 3 as well as a 4.....I don't like this move.

In a way we basically are getting Carmelo Anthony for nothing since David Lee could have easily been signed by a team in free agency with us getting nothing. So really we are getting Melo for nothing, but we have a gem in Randolph and he wants to play here and would explode on the scene.

I am kind of down to here this.

But Frank Isola isn't that great with reports, I would trust Alan Hahn, David Aldridge, Chris Broussard, Tommy Dee anyday over Isola's crazy ideas.

agreed

Melo is a pure 3 and so is Gallo...if you have Gallo and Melo on the same team then you will have two guys chucking the ball with one out of position.

Randolph is more versatile and can play a 3 as well as a 4.....I don't like this move.

In a way we basically are getting Carmelo Anthony for nothing since David Lee could have easily been signed by a team in free agency with us getting nothing. So really we are getting Melo for nothing, but we have a gem in Randolph and he wants to play here and would explode on the scene.

I am kind of down to here this.

But Frank Isola isn't that great with reports, I would trust Alan Hahn, David Aldridge, Chris Broussard, Tommy Dee anyday over Isola's crazy ideas.

Yeah man. I mean Gallo could be good one day, but right now his sole strength is his spot up shooting, and you can find those guys anywhere..

Randolph does so many other things well and is like you said very versatile and athletic a 6'11. His potential is UNLIMITED. It'd really suck giving him up even if it mean Melo.

Paul1355

All Star
You think anyone would give us a 1st rounder for Azzy, or Bill Walker and Second rounders?
azzy is out of any potential moves until he starts playing some games....a 1st round can be dealt for Chandler hopefully, I would do that, trade Chandler for a first round pick, Randolph and Gallo are too valuable and no one else would be worth a 1st round pick that I would trade

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
seems to me we made our bed with stat... 100 million to take us to the playoffs... he needs help to do that... and young guys who "might" be able to do it i don't think cuts it. we really have no choice but to go all the way and bring in melo and then maybe paul... we have the cap space now we just need the balls to pull it off. if we are going to beat the heat, celts, magic, the lakers, we need the horses that can score night in night out.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't like this move one bit. We'd basically be losing AR AND Gallo here. Not that getting Melo in return isnt great but i'd like to see him paired with one of those guys. I guess Chandler has little to no trade value. smh

knicksin60

Starter
As long as the Knicks continue to win 29 games a season no team will want to have anything to do with their top talent via trades.Notice how teams like the Lakers, Bulls and Mavericks are able to acquire elite talent without having to look foolish or desperate in the process? The only reason why I believe the Nets have a better chance than the Knicks have in getting Melo is cause they've had more winning seasons in the last 10 years than the Knicks have. James Dolan and Isiah Thomas have destroyed the reputation of the Knicks so much that team executives, NBA players and the media look at them as an absolute joke.

I guess it is unfavorable for an NBA gm to trade any of his number one picks to the Knicks in return for players who have potential written all over them but are associated with an unproven team.I'm not so sure Golden State would have given us 3 players for David Lee had he not made the All-Star team. I'm also not so sure that Walsh would have been able to get rid of Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford had the Knicks started out with a losing record that year instead of 6-3.

I believe that the biggest failure last year for the Knicks was when they started out losing 9 of their first 10 games.That was what probably ruined their chances of trading Jared Jeffries without getting fleeced by another team.Winning is what brings value to players and the fact that the Knicks were terrible in 5 of the 6 months that they played last season made it impossible for them to dump salary.Unless you're trading a proven all star or have a recent history of winning it is very difficult to rebuild in the NBA.

This why I feel that it's best for the Knicks that Denver holds on to Melo until after the season begins.I'm sure that Denver would be lured by the talent on the Knicks if the Knicks were to start the season playing above .500 ball.The thing that will probably hurt the Knicks the most in the Melo sweepstakes is them starting the season in a similar way that they did last year.D'antoni and the Knicks coaching staff have to do everything they can to coach the Knicks to a good start and give Anthony Randolph and other players enough minutes to show case themselves.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
Wait. How are Gallo and AR not both gone regardless? Unless this scenario is basically saying we could flip the pick + whatever to get Melo, and keep Gallo? That would be a ridiculous coup for us, and we should take the worst of it to make sure we get the 1st (ie Randolph + an asset to ensure it if it comes to it), to then get the best of it in getting Melo (while preserving Gallo).

I have a hard time believing this could get done, though. Don't understand some of the talk in this thread; they both seem to be gone in the end in either scenario.

Unless, as pointed out, we get a 1st through a trade of Azzy and pieces. Problem is, Azzy is a rental player and injured.

Really, the meat of such a potential trade would have to be Walker+Douglas+2nd rounders, eg.

Agree w Knicks60, big time, too. Can't underestimate image, and it's role in power plays and negotiations.

The stink of Isiah is essentially why we got bent over some in Jeffries deal to begin with, and killed our golden opportunity at getting Melo for some picks and non-bluechips.

iSaYughh

Starter
Also, I don't get DEN's fetish with random first rounders. It's like they are trying to knife us.

How could they value HOU 1st over AR....Unless AR is grossly plagued by more issues than we can tell.

AR's stock should be higher than when he was drafted (already a lotto pick I believe, or thereabouts). He's out in size, grown even more, and showed he can ball at the NBA level playing two ways and that his skillet CAN undoubtably transfer over to the NBA level.

iSaYughh

Starter
azzy is out of any potential moves until he starts playing some games....a 1st round can be dealt for Chandler hopefully, I would do that, trade Chandler for a first round pick, Randolph and Gallo are too valuable and no one else would be worth a 1st round pick that I would trade

Exactly. AR's stock should be higher than a HOU 1st. He was a top 15ish pick I think, maybe even lower, and since draft his stock is only improved as I detailed in post above.

Problem is, Chandler is a rental, essentially, and the team will have to deal w the headache and unknown of a looming FA/negotiation.

Still. Chandler, couple 2nd, and maybe either Walker or Douglas should yield a 1st.

Final prob is how ball'less the NBA owners and management are, as a whole, when it comes to deals.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Wait. How are Gallo and AR not both gone regardless? Unless this scenario is basically saying we could flip the pick + whatever to get Melo, and keep Gallo? That would be a ridiculous coup for us, and we should take the worst of it to make sure we get the 1st (ie Randolph + an asset to ensure it if it comes to it), to then get the best of it in getting Melo (while preserving Gallo).

I have a hard time believing this could get done, though. Don't understand some of the talk in this thread; they both seem to be gone in the end in either scenario.

Unless, as pointed out, we get a 1st through a trade of Azzy and pieces. Problem is, Azzy is a rental player and injured.

Really, the meat of such a potential trade would have to be Walker+Douglas+2nd rounders, eg.

Agree w Knicks60, big time, too. Can't underestimate image, and it's role in power plays and negotiations.

The stink of Isiah is essentially why we got bent over some in Jeffries deal to begin with, and killed our golden opportunity at getting Melo for some picks and non-bluechips.

Can't blame Isiah for this one. This has more to do with lebron waiting to the last minute to announce his decision. Walsh had to have the cap space available if Lebron wanted to come here. Had we known that Lebitch made plans with bosh and wade years ago then we wouldn't have given away our pick to free up the extra space.

knicksin60

Starter
Can't blame Isiah for this one. This has more to do with lebron waiting to the last minute to announce his decision. Walsh had to have the cap space available if Lebron wanted to come here. Had we known that Lebitch made plans with bosh and wade years ago then we wouldn't have given away our pick to free up the extra space.

I thought Lebron was indecisive about the team he wanted to play for until Pat Riley showed him his 5 championship rings in the meeting that they had.Didn't Lebron call Amar'e a couple days before his decision and told him to prepare himself for a possible announcement about playing for the Knicks?

iSaYughh

Starter

Ya, you're right. Walsh and all of us didnt know Lebitch's true motives. When it turns out all along his advisors, and everyone else was pushing for and expecting him to come to us. Till the last minute like you said, when he revealed his true colors of being a jester to Wade and Riley.

The NYK culture of burning up our draft picks while paying premiums to take risky head cases from other teams didnt help, though (Curry...Stevie Franchise).

Still, I can't help but think we STILL payed a premium to dump Jeffries because the league culture, maximized under Isiah, was for us to be desperate and put into corners. He had but 1yr left, wasn't totally useless...Just a tough pill to swallow that we included a rookie #8 pick with him and still had to include a 1st.

iSaYughh

Starter
I thought Lebron was indecisive about the team he wanted to play for until Pat Riley showed him his 5 championship rings in the meeting that they had.Didn't Lebron call Amar'e a couple days before his decision and told him to prepare himself for a possible announcement about playing for the Knicks?

The most conclusive and "final" report I read on all this...was that up until a day before EVERYONE in the know expected him to come to us. Including Lebron's advisors and top managers. They all thought it was best, and made the most sense. Just like so many of us.

At the "last minute" Lebron suddenly acted like an emo schoolgirl and just said he eas going to MIA to play it safe with his superstar friends and under Riley.

The unknown is what was going on IN lebron's head, truly, even as he was acting behind closed doors like he was in essential agreement with his advisors and management.

Was he too embarrassed to admit to what he wanted, and why he wanted to do it? And waited till the very end to avoid their rebuke...

Or did he simply show his truest of colors when the time finally came. (this, IMO, above all else).

He isn't a killer in the mold of Kobe, let alone MJ, or so many other hyper competitive greats with a mean streak. He's different.

And he took the safer, less stressful route with less personal expectations he'd have to fulfill.

It's ironic that while going to MIA he may very well have created the best way to WIN, but he also abandoned the essence of competitiveness and domination-I Own The World Instinct- that is so fundamental to A Winner.

tiger0330

Legend
Latest out of Denver is that the Nuggets are stalling, what looked like a deal that would be done by Monday will probably not be, the Nuggets are waiting for better offers than the Nets offer and the Nets would like Augustin from the Bobcats to replace Harris. Donnie may be able to slip in here but Gallo and Randolph are gone IMO if he wants to nab Melo.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_16175594#ixzz10bgeJsx4

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Carmelo

If Donnie is willing to trade both Gallo and Chandler, and perhaps others, then maybe we are still in the mix for Carmelo. I do not want this result, but if a deal with the Nets is not done after tomorrow ???

Basketball, as is the case with most businesses, can be harsh on individuals, but are the Knicks going to trade Gallo, and then go to Milan to play his former team? Not exactly the best PR move internationally. Perhaps the Knicks want to wait until after the European trip to put a proposed deal together.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Mistake

If Donnie is willing to trade both Gallo and Chandler, and perhaps others, then maybe we are still in the mix for Carmelo. I do not want this result, but if a deal with the Nets is not done after tomorrow ???

Basketball, as is the case with most businesses, can be harsh on individuals, but are the Knicks going to trade Gallo, and then go to Milan to play his former team? Not exactly the best PR move internationally. Perhaps the Knicks want to wait until after the European trip to put a proposed deal together.

Oops! I meant 'both Gallo and Randolph"

MSGhobo247

Rotation player

Very very true!