Thread: Knicks working to make a Deal with Denver

Hybrid View

Trade Icon Knicks working to make a Deal with Denver

Carmelo Anthony is continuing to push Denver to find a trade that will send him to the Knicks and has stepped back from a willingness to commit to the Nets. On Saturday, the Knicks were exploring ways to put together a package that might land Anthony.
    Over the weekend, Anthony began having doubts about agreeing to a contract extension with the Nets. Yahoo! Sports reports that the four-team blockbuster that would send Anthony to New Jersey, which seemed to be gaining critical momentum on Friday night, is now at "a perilous crossroads."
    Anthony’s desire to make a long-term commitment to the Nets started eroding when former Nets' players related their experiences with an empty arena, the apathy of fans, and the team playing in the shadow of the Knicks and Madison Square Garden. Anthony was already concerned about joining a team in New Jersey that would not be close to contention even with him on board.
    "He’s having second thoughts on Jersey," a league source told Yahoo! Sports. "He’s pushed [Denver] to explore other options."
    While the Nuggets still believe the deal with New Jersey gives them their best return, Denver engaged the Knicks on Saturday in discussions centered around Danilo Gallinari, Anthony Randolph and Toney Douglas, according to sources.
    Sources indicated that the Knicks are working to pry draft picks to send the Nuggets in a deal for Anthony, and have contacted the Rockets for this purpose. Before last season's trade deadline, the Knicks sent their 2012 first-round pick to Houston, and agreed to swap picks with the Rockets in 2011, in a move to dump the contract of Jared Jeffries.
    We will end up keeping Gallo or Randolph. Most likely Gallo.

I hope Gallo stays, why don't we just throw In Azubuike? He is an expiring contract the Nuggets would love to have. I'm also sitting here wondering what the Rockets want from the Knicks for their first rounder. I hope TD doesn't leave, but if it must be done then do it

i read this trade idea i kind of like it but you can decide

Mega trade: 3 teams, 13 players, 0 draft picks

Rockets get from New York: Anthony Randolph
    Rockets get from Denver: Ty Lawson

Knicks get from Denver: Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Arron Affalo

Nuggets get from Houston: Aaron Brooks and Jordan Hill
    Nuggets get from New York: Danilo Gallanari, Wilson Chandler, Kelenna Azubuike, Ronny Turiaf, Toney Douglas and Eddy Curry

then sign chris hunter and barron at vet minnimums

felton mason rautins
    billups affalo fields
    mello walker williams

with amare hunter at the pf
    ands mozgov and barron at the center i like gallo and chandler but i like this deal alot

Forget that! Randolph, Gallo and Douglas. No thanks. That would be terrible.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    You have no idea what you saying mello for those 3 anytime brother!

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    The discussion include those three names. It isn't saying that the trade package includes all three, just that both teams are mentioning those three players.

Originally Posted by wnyknicksfan
    with amare hunter at the pf
    ands mozgov and barron at the center i like gallo and chandler but i like this deal alot
    Baron is still on the team?

I will be partyin for days if this happens. I don't believe it till I see it, than i cant wait to say fu*kl all the Carmelo haters

Originally Posted by wnyknicksfan
    i read this trade idea i kind of like it but you can decide

Mega trade: 3 teams, 13 players, 0 draft picks

Rockets get from New York: Anthony Randolph
    Rockets get from Denver: Ty Lawson

Knicks get from Denver: Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Arron Affalo

Nuggets get from Houston: Aaron Brooks and Jordan Hill
    Nuggets get from New York: Danilo Gallanari, Wilson Chandler, Kelenna Azubuike, Ronny Turiaf, Toney Douglas and Eddy Curry

then sign chris hunter and barron at vet minnimums

felton mason rautins
    billups affalo fields
    mello walker williams
    SO you want to give up a Backup pg who had a great season for his 1st year, 1 developing sf (gallA), a pf/c (AR), a slashing g/f (Wilson), and a defensive minded c/f (Turiaf), for billups while is good still but is going down hill, Affalo who is decent but no defender, and Melo yes he puts up numbers is not a good defender! Yes these guys can play Dantonio's offense but His mind lacks Defense all day!

I'm a Knicks fan living in GA, and yeah i like Melo to come but not at the price of giving up several fresh leg players that i can have in the game if one gets hurt or is slumping!

If Melo goes down for lets say 30 games who will you have plug up in his spot a bench player getting 5mins before he arrived?

Veteran

So now we don't make a move because it doesn't wave a magic NBA wand and have us be contenders?

Make the move because it's better for us to BECOME contenders; specifically, in the shortest time period, with the least amount of risk.

At the very least, this is the question that needs to be asked, whether I'm wrong or right on wanting to pull the trigger.

The fact that even skeptics say we would likely be vaulted up a couple spots speaks volumes.

We'd have two bonefied (super)stars who WANT to be here and dominate in NY. In the middle of their primes.

And the influence this would have on other FA's (CP3, whomever)...we could finally milk the fact that we have the best place to play and ball it up.

I won't cry if we keep Gallo-AR. I love them as players to have. I just love the legitimacy, dominance, and LIKLIHOOD of building a contender asap that Melo would bring, even if we sacrifice them in process.

A team of Felton, Chandler, Melo, Amare, Moz with Mason, Turiaf, Walker off the bench is not a contender. There is little to no depth with that roster because we dumped all of our depth for one player that can only score and can't play defense worth a pinch of sh*t.

Yes, that TEAM is not better than Miami, Orlando, Lakers, or Chicago.

So I'll ask again. Why bother? What is the point?

Can someone logically explain to me why gutting the team to move up a few spots is worth it?

Especially when we can sign him for free next year and be championship contenders. I guess everybody just wants gratification now and continue to lose for the next 5 years. I would rather wait and build a contender. If we trade for Melo now, we won't have the cap space to sign CP3. So forget the idea of Melo bringing other stars here. It is impossible.

Because we're not a championship contender now? So what diff does it make? We'd be trading potential for proven. It's a gamble either way really. If our young players don't meet their potential and we don't make the move for Melo then everyone involved in not making the move will be second guessing themselves for a while.

Just ask Pistons fans how they feel about that #2 pick when they selected Darko over everyone else that was available, or the Trailblazers fans when they passed on Durant for Oden. Hindsight is 20/20, but that's not a saying I want to hear when it comes to this Melo situation.

We have draft picks next year and in 2013, and we're going to have cap flexibility going forward (especially if we let Felton go to get an upgrade at the PG if need be.)

The whole argument of "we're not going to be contenders if we trade for Melo" bears the most weight if we're contenders now and if making a move jeopardizes that. Since that's not the case, what's wrong with building around Melo and STAT at the helm instead of just STAT? Because right now Gallo and Randolph are potentially good. Melo is currently Melo, he's not maybe, possibly, if he works hard and wants it enough, going to be Melo. He is what he is.

We could build with him and STAT. That's why you make the move.

Edit: Knicksin actually raises another point that I could have made. What if the Celtics hold onto Al and don't make the move for KG? No, Melo isn't exactly of a KG stature right now, but add him to STAT, Felton, Mosgov, etc. and we have a solid squad going forward.

I love Gallo and want to see what AR can do as much as the next person....but come on...

Veteran

Our cap situation will be different by the time we can/would sign other stars. Specifically, when Felton expires, which coincides with the superstar PG FA crop.

And cap is cap, anyways. Gotta spend it at some point, and giving Melo a max like deal, especially relative to the types of contracts going around, is a great investment in and of itself.

Whiffing on Melo and we set ourselves up even worse for potential FA's if anything. Again, another gamble on our youth blossoming in concert, or we get treated like 2nd class citizens of the NBA like we have for so long.

Melo gives us instant credibility and vaults us officially past....our past.

I'd rather not hope and pray that youth becomes excellence.

When we have an alternative.

The logic is:

We have a better chance of being a contender. This means, we achieve it sooner, and MOST important, we are able to achieve it with the highest chance/least risk.

A proven superstar in his prime, who wants NYC, and you can lock up.

Nobody can honestly believe that they safer in the future of being legit with what we have, then a simple, brutally well built core of MELO+STAT+2yr Felton (and still youth like Moz, Jordan, Walker, even Chandler).

Era of the dynasty/superstar is officially here. Lock them up and secure them when you can, especially one in his prime, wants to be a Knick.

What's the other logic?

Hope and pray for a lot of youth to grow up, battle past their potentially crippling weaknesses, and be the stars they have the ability to be. Not the worst, but is it the best? IMHO, no.

All while hoping this happens quick enough and in the perfect time frame to lure a different superstar.