Did Anyone else notice that The Nets are made up of Knick rejects!?

New New York

Quiet Storm
It's crazy that I just realized how many "almost Knicks" there are in The Nets organization.

The year was 2008, Isiah Thomas was just replaced as President of Basketball Operations and we all knew it was just a matter of time before the team replaced him as coach. For the first time in years we actually owned our lottery pick. So the three things on Donnie's plate immediatley was 1.Hire a GM 2.Hire a coach 3.Make a splash in the Draft

But before that even Rusian Billionare Mikail Prokhorov made an unsuccessful attempt to buy our franchise from James Dolan. Dolan doesnt sell and then Mikail then turns his attention to The Nets who had just announced that fateful year that they were officially moving to Brooklyn.

mikhail-prokhorov.jpg

Could be owner

340x_James_Dolan.jpg

Current owner

Then lets look at their GM Billy King, he too back in 2008 was rumored to be our next GM when Donnie was hired, in fact it almost seemed a given! It never materailized and Billy is now with you know who

20070701_inq_bford30z-b.JPG

if you believe the rumors Donnie wanted him and Dolan
would not sign off on it.

Which brings us to our coach. In the search for a coach when Donnie took over the two instant front runners were Mark Jackson and Tom Tibedou.....but the week leading up to Donnie making a descion it came down to two coaches, Mike Dantoni and current Nets coach Avery Johnson...and the year again was 2008 and as we all know Mike D was chosen but not without heavy consideration of Avery Johnson from Donnie Walsh

dantonijohnson_600_060524.jpg

Lastly let's look our 2008 draft pick Danilo Gallanari. Walsh's first ever draft pick for The Knicks, probably goes in a different direction if he hires Avery Johnson as coach and that player wouldve likely been Brook Lopez!

group.jpg

Notice Lopez and Gallo side by side kinda, eerie when you think of it knowing all the other Knick/Nets 2008 correalations.

This really explains the bitter feelings towards us! The billboard this summer, them down playing us getting Amare by saying he is "all dinged up", lets be real here, they want Melo to be the face of their franchise, but don't think for a second Billy King is not thinking about how good it would feel to get it done right across the river from the team that didnt hire him and don't think Avery is not driven to do well to show us who we "shouldve hired" in his opinion....and certainley dont think Ivan Drago is not thinking about showing up James Dolan and showing Knick fans what he thinks he couldve made the Knicks into if he was allowed to purchase the team! And Brook Lopez probably doesnt give it much thought but I imagine he gets up just a little bit more for all the teams that passed on him in the draft.....especially the one he plays 4 times a year!

This makes things pretty interesting in our rivalry!

iSaYughh

Starter
That's actually a pretty cool discovery and plot line you uncovered.

That said, I don't think they 'envy' -- from those decisions at least! After all, they essentially are our ugly, ginger headed step brother and it's imperative they stay that way.

Gallo vs Lopez let's call an evenly contested, heated debate in the air (obv a lot will clamor that Lopez is clearly superior due to what he has done in comparison, mainly, IMO, because he essentially had an extra year).

And D'ant vs Avery might be similar.

BUT, us NOT getting The Russian...and being left with that disgraceful rodent in the picture above playing his guitar...gives ME envy of THEM!

Interesting to read about all this either way.

Paul1355

All Star
It's crazy that I just realized how many "almost Knicks" there are in The Nets organization.

The year was 2008, Isiah Thomas was just replaced as President of Basketball Operations and we all knew it was just a matter of time before the team replaced him as coach. For the first time in years we actually owned our lottery pick. So the three things on Donnie's plate immediatley was 1.Hire a GM 2.Hire a coach 3.Make a splash in the Draft

But before that even Rusian Billionare Mikail Prokhorov made an unsuccessful attempt to buy our franchise from James Dolan. Dolan doesnt sell and then Mikail then turns his attention to The Nets who had just announced that fateful year that they were officially moving to Brooklyn.

mikhail-prokhorov.jpg

Could be owner

340x_James_Dolan.jpg

Current owner

Then lets look at their GM Billy King, he too back in 2008 was rumored to be our next GM when Donnie was hired, in fact it almost seemed a given! It never materailized and Billy is now with you know who

20070701_inq_bford30z-b.JPG

if you believe the rumors Donnie wanted him and Dolan
would not sign off on it.

Which brings us to our coach. In the search for a coach when Donnie took over the two instant front runners were Mark Jackson and Tom Tibedou.....but the week leading up to Donnie making a descion it came down to two coaches, Mike Dantoni and current Nets coach Avery Johnson...and the year again was 2008 and as we all know Mike D was chosen but not without heavy consideration of Avery Johnson from Donnie Walsh

dantonijohnson_600_060524.jpg

Lastly let's look our 2008 draft pick Danilo Gallanari. Walsh's first ever draft pick for The Knicks, probably goes in a different direction if he hires Avery Johnson as coach and that player wouldve likely been Brook Lopez!

group.jpg

Notice Lopez and Gallo side by side kinda, eerie when you think of it knowing all the other Knick/Nets 2008 correalations.

This really explains the bitter feelings towards us! The billboard this summer, them down playing us getting Amare by saying he is "all dinged up", lets be real here, they want Melo to be the face of their franchise, but don't think for a second Billy King is not thinking about how good it would feel to get it done right across the river from the team that didnt hire him and don't think Avery is not driven to do well to show us who we "shouldve hired" in his opinion....and certainley dont think Ivan Drago is not thinking about showing up James Dolan and showing Knick fans what he thinks he couldve made the Knicks into if he was allowed to purchase the team! And Brook Lopez probably doesnt give it much thought but I imagine he gets up just a little bit more for all the teams that passed on him in the draft.....especially the one he plays 4 times a year!

This makes things pretty interesting in our rivalry!

very interesting but I DO NOT think Prokorov, who had success owning teams in Europe, is going to be like James Dolan, Prokorov just owns a team that has no fame so players don't want to go there. Once the Nets get 30 wins under their belt, and once they move to Brooklyn is when they will be well known.

I def see Billy King as the next Isiah Thomas lol....King was the idiot who singed Elton Brand to a huge deal. When that signing was news to me I shooke my head in dis belief. You give an enormous contract to someone who hasbeen injury prone his whole career? Fool.

Then he hired Eddie Jordan as head coach and that failed and the 76ers went from a good young talented running team to a disimal confused team.

Now the Nets Avery Johnson is over rated but he is prob better than Mike who is really over rated.

And the rivalry is bigger than ever because of the Brooklyn move.

Once the Nets move to Brooklyn, this will be Yankees-Mets hype all over again.