STAT Dropped 32 Points and I am Worried!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The reason I am worried is because STAT got his points by being more athletic and stronger than the Euro players. Hardly any of his points were from the traditional PnR or a set play. It seemed like he was just determined to score and beasted the other team into a bucket...that works fine in Italy but not in the NBA. Felton and Amare really need to get on the same page and run a more structured game plan if they are to be successful. I know it was the first preseason game so I am not too worried but it is something to look out for! Anyone feel the same way?

gmpknick

Benchwarmer
STAT rips's off 32 in 28 and you're worried because the lack of screen roll on the first scrimmage?????????????

You can't be serious!!

I'm more concerned about him going 28 minutes...:cool:

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer
I could only catch the 2nd quarter but the team is all new and it's not gonna happen right away, but i'm sure it's something that the coaching staff is discussing, thats there bread and butter. I'm not worried about it, theres a good coaching staff in place and there gonna make it happen. The players are there and all they need is time.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
STAT rips's off 32 in 28 and you're worried because the lack of screen roll on the first scrimmage?????????????

You can't be serious!!

I'm more concerned about him going 28 minutes...:cool:

Yea he ripped 32 in 28 off of a bunch of short white dudes...

Toons

is the Bo$$
Amare went 10 for 13 fg, and 11 for 13 from the free throw
also 1 for 1 from 3 point. Amare needs to expand his game and his range so that teams dont predict when we use the pick and roll.
What more do you want out of a guy with new teammates on their first preseason game?

iSaYughh

Starter
Well. It is a worry in th sense that he spent his career besting off feeds from the preeminent, pure dishing PG of our times.

And now he is with a castoff who has had a mediocre career to date.

It is the preeminent worry of our franchise. Whether STAT will still be STAT and then some with Felton.

That said, i'm not worried. But it IS --a-- worry, and it's a pretty big one tom watch for.

IMO, felon is going to be a big surprise and hustle the leauge with his play. And STAT will be as good as his prime with his recouped power and explosiveness. Plus fitting into NYC and our roster.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Yea he ripped 32 in 28 off of a bunch of short white dudes...

As a white dude I wonder what the color of skin has anything to do with it? Larry Bird was white... John Stockton was white... Dirk is white and those white guys from Rome can do one thing that a lot of our NBA players can't... Play fundamental basketball! They can shoot, pass, shift and defend. While NBA players are more physical and usually more athletic, the European players are usually more fundamentally sound and they know how to play as a team.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
As a white dude I wonder what the color of skin has anything to do with it? Larry Bird was white... John Stockton was white... Dirk is white and those white guys from Rome can do one thing that a lot of our NBA players can't... Play fundamental basketball! They can shoot, pass, shift and defend. While NBA players are more physical and usually more athletic, the European players are usually more fundamentally sound and they know how to play as a team.

Dude, I am white, chillax. I was using hyperbole because they are nowhere near the athletes like you would find in the NBA.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
But if he scored them off Pick N Roll your cool with that??

Dude, RELAX.............BLUNT UP!:peace:

All I am saying is that he got his points because he was the best athlete on the court by leaps and bounds and not because we were running an efficient offense.

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
Whats the alternative? STAT working on his game during the game? Isnt that what practice is for? As the great Herm Edwards once said "you play to win the game"

The game was a lose-lose situation (as evidenced by the fact that people are complaining over a 12 point victory and STAT going for 32 points in 28 minutes.)

Yes he got his points by being the most athletic guy on the court, but he was the most athletic guy on the court. Its very good to see a player recognize a weakness in the defense and abuse it. This is the first game he has ever played with his supporting cast. The main thing I took out of it is his explosiveness around the basket which we havent had since Sprewell. He and Felton did run the PnR a few times and it worked. If they can develop chemistry then that is a dangerous duo.

I would also like to point out that Felton's stats and Nash's stats are not too different pre-Diantoni. Felton is also much younger than Nash was when he went to the Suns. Yes, Nash helped STAT but to say that STAT and Diantoni didnt help Nash would be to ignore the obvious.

Felton 3 previous years before joining STAT and Diantoni
PPG: 14.4, 14.2, 12.1
APG: 7.4, 6.7, 5.6

Thats for a bad team without another superstar

Nash 3 previous years before joining STAT and Diantoni
PPG: 18.6, 19.3, 15.5
APG: 8, 7.9, 9.5

And that was on a very good team with superstar in his prime

I know there is discrepancy in points, but only really 4-5 points a game. Lets see what the SSOL juice can do for RayRay

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Whats the alternative? STAT working on his game during the game? Isnt that what practice is for? As the great Herm Edwards once said "you play to win the game"

The game was a lose-lose situation (as evidenced by the fact that people are complaining over a 12 point victory and STAT going for 32 points in 28 minutes.)

Yes he got his points by being the most athletic guy on the court, but he was the most athletic guy on the court. Its very good to see a player recognize a weakness in the defense and abuse it. This is the first game he has ever played with his supporting cast. The main thing I took out of it is his explosiveness around the basket which we havent had since Sprewell. He and Felton did run the PnR a few times and it worked. If they can develop chemistry then that is a dangerous duo.

I would also like to point out that Felton's stats and Nash's stats are not too different pre-Diantoni. Felton is also much younger than Nash was when he went to the Suns. Yes, Nash helped STAT but to say that STAT and Diantoni didnt help Nash would be to ignore the obvious.

Felton 3 previous years before joining STAT and Diantoni
PPG: 14.4, 14.2, 12.1
APG: 7.4, 6.7, 5.6

Thats for a bad team without another superstar

Nash 3 previous years before joining STAT and Diantoni
PPG: 18.6, 19.3, 15.5
APG: 8, 7.9, 9.5

And that was on a very good team with superstar in his prime

I know there is discrepancy in points, but only really 4-5 points a game. Lets see what the SSOL juice can do for RayRay

Like I said, I am not too worried as it was the first preseason. That said, the game was not about a single player "getting better" by dominating outside of our offensive plans. Amare as an individual is already a beast and gained nothing by showing off against a lesser opponent. Preseason and practice is about our entire team gelling and implementing a cohesive offensive scheme. The Knicks as whole would have benefited more from running set plays, the PnR and working as a team. Just my opinion.

Kiyaman

Legend

u are joking about fundamental basketball right?
The NBA turned fundamental basketball into an athletic excitement
that reached worldwide to become a trillion dollar industry.
Dunk vs layup? or a shot off of a cross-over dribble vs a setup open shot?
u call it?

ha ha ha ha ha :afro: u took that personal!!!
curious ..... are u a skin head?
:smokin: No-offense. joking
I dont like to agree with Tr1ll1on but he is right. :thumbsup:
Amare's individual plays worked for him, but it got alot of his
teammates doing the samething, which lead to 14 quick turnovers.
Douglas transition did bring alot of team-ballin in the 2nd half to
make us play like a team.
The Felton/Douglas backcourt tandem was unstoppable.
Amare's pick n roll with Felton or Douglas was unstoppable.
Chandler's first step was unstopple.
Randolph/Walker are young projects that broadcast their passes,
plus need to work hard on their defense in the passing lane when Douglas
slaps oponents dribble.
:gony:

XxWinKnicksxX

Benchwarmer

European players play more disciplined and play smarter. They don't have the outrageously in your face skills but they play smarter for the lack of athleticism. Thats how I see it, for the times I have seen them play. I agree

Smooth21

Rookie
The reason I am worried is because STAT got his points by being more athletic and stronger than the Euro players. Hardly any of his points were from the traditional PnR or a set play. It seemed like he was just determined to score and beasted the other team into a bucket...that works fine in Italy but not in the NBA.

No offense man but did you watch Amare at all in his Phoenix days? What you saw in Italy is exactly what he does in the NBA because he's that much of a freak. It DOES work fine in the NBA...for STAT.

He also doesn't need set plays to score. Iso in the high post and his first step is too quick anyone big enough to stop him. Big a smaller, quicker guy on him and he just goes over the top. Plus his mid-range jumper has become deadly.

People are blowing the pick-n-roll/Nash element way out of proportion.

Paul1355

All Star
The reason I am worried is because STAT got his points by being more athletic and stronger than the Euro players. Hardly any of his points were from the traditional PnR or a set play. It seemed like he was just determined to score and beasted the other team into a bucket...that works fine in Italy but not in the NBA. Felton and Amare really need to get on the same page and run a more structured game plan if they are to be successful. I know it was the first preseason game so I am not too worried but it is something to look out for! Anyone feel the same way?
this is a dumb thread....the italian team played good defense and STAT is going after rebounds so im lovin it and throwing down a dunk like that in MSG would pump the hell out of the crowd...idk what ur talkin about son u loco right now

Plus he knocked down some hard shots and even a three...so still i stand with my view...ur loco

New New York

Quiet Storm
The team we played against played solid team defense so it wasnt about him dominating smaller players.

Now is anyone dumb enough to think that is what we are going to get night in and out.....NO!

Him hitting 10 of 13 from the charity stripe is very encouraging for us because the FT is the same no matter who you play.

Now the 3 pt shot he bagged is not a good indicator and the fast breaks he is was running can be misleading to anyone who thinks he is now going to be a Point Forward or a 3pt threat!

But consider that Kevin Durant has just elevated himself to stardom by beating up on equally as good a talent, then Amare playing well against them isnt nothing to sneeze at.

plus we have seen Amare put up numbers in the playoffs against good defensive players like Tim Duncan! To suggest he couldnt do it in The NBA is foolish......now if Timofey Mozgov put up 32 against Mulan then you would have an argument, but Stat can drop 32 on any given night!

Not to mention it wasnt like Amare was thrown the ball and allowed to go 1 on 1 much (if not all) during the game, he saw agressive coverage from a good defensive club.

I love the fact that he did it without the Pick N Roll, it only silences the argument that he needs Nash to thrive in Dantoni's system!

things that should truly worry us is the him only grabbing 6 rebs (although it was through 3 periods and he could of easily finised with 10 had he played the fourth).

The bad shot selection, Amare is our leader but hopefully not having Nash and Hill around doesnt prompt him to try to do too much for us on the offensive end.

But back to your point about it possibly not being legit, would you consider Gallo's shooting touch not as good because he was shooting shots over smaller players in The NBA? Of course not! He has shown he can get his shot off the same way Amare has shown he can dunk on ANYONE in the league!

No Worries over here!!!!!