Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Positive things to look for in the first 15 (regular season) games.

  1. #1
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Nyk Logo Positive things to look for in the first 15 (regular season) games.

    First off, I think the team will be fine. We now have a legitimately unstoppable player for teams to reckon w. I know it's early but I really believe in Felton too. I think our squad will be a problem for a lot of teams as the season goes on. Will they struggle early? Maybe. But I've already made a promise to myself not press the panic button for the first 15 games.

    If the team ends up w close losses during that first fifth of games against good teams and beats the teams it seems as if we're supposed to beat, i'll be more inclined to hold out hope that they'll pull it together for the long haul.

    7 positive signs to look for:

    1. Mike D'antoni uses and sticks to his ten man rotation thru the first 15 games w positive effect - ie a .500 or better record during that span.

    2. Gallo averages 17 or more points and displays more variety in his game. Also, if he stays aggressive by driving to the hole and drawing fouls inspite of a few early misses from deep, this will be a good sign for his development and for the team.

    3. They hold opponents under a hundred points in half or more of the first 15 contests.

    4. Felton shows a consistemt command over the offense that has not been seen since the SSOL was brought to NY.

    5. The team shows they can comeback and win in the forth quarter in a few of their first 15 games.

    6. If the team knocks off a contender or two, like a Boston or San Antonio during that early 15 game portion.

    7. (this one's a bit weird) If Coach spends much more time on the bench than he does standing by the scorers table. That's usually a good barometer for how comfortable he is w the way the team is playing generally.

    Again, it's still way too early to be worried. When you think about it, this is actually a good time for our Knicks to struggle. Let them screw up as much as they need to now and early on in the season. After the first 5th of the season tho, the team needs to have shown signs of growth and should definitely be giving teams a run for their money night in and night out. IMO we should look dangerous. To me this would be a .500 or better team that doesn't beat itself and isn't intimidated by anyone. Give me that and I'll still be hopeful about the season and the team's overall development. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ronoranina; Oct 09, 2010 at 21:09.

  2. #2
    Member serendipity10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    The team will come to the regular season ready after having a horrible preseason. The Knicks will be talked down on but then shock everyone having a great start. The first 15 games all together is not tough compared to other parts of the schedule. Record? 10-5, of course this me being positive thinking it can happen.

    Knick will improve team chemistry and rebouding. Communication on the floor will help the Knicks play defense, get rebounds, and will not create dumb fouls. Shooters will have there shots from 3 point land with STAT in the post drawing double teams. Felton will perfect the pick and roll, with the providing energy giving the starters rest.

  3. #3
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by serendipity10
    The team will come to the regular season ready after having a horrible preseason. The Knicks will be talked down on but then shock everyone having a great start. The first 15 games all together is not tough compared to other parts of the schedule. Record? 10-5, of course this me being positive thinking it can happen.

    Knick will improve team chemistry and rebouding. Communication on the floor will help the Knicks play defense, get rebounds, and will not create dumb fouls. Shooters will have there shots from 3 point land with STAT in the post drawing double teams. Felton will perfect the pick and roll, with the providing energy giving the starters rest.

    From your lips to God's ears my dude..

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    So when do we start worrying? I'll be honest...the Knicks has dissappointed us season after season. Every year, the Knicks and the overly optimistic and sometimes delusional people in this forum say it's going to be different this time around. I hope that is true but history has been against us. I'm keeping my guards up this time.

  5. #5
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    That's cool. I just think the team is young and not used to playing w one another. Therefore it's wise to proceed w patience. In the meantime while trying to maintain that mindset I'm going to look for positives that could signal what we all hope for. That's all I'm trying to say.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,054
    Rep Power
    19

    Nyk Logo

    In our first 15 games 9 of them are away games, which is questionable for
    how well coach Dantoni could hold the team together during such a short
    lapse of time after Boston/Portland/Orlando/Chicago run.

    1) @ Toronto
    2) @ Boston
    3) Portland
    4) Orlando
    5) @ Chicago
    6) Washington
    7) Philly
    8) @ Millwaukie
    9) Golden State
    10) @ Minny
    11) Houston
    12) @ Denver
    13) @ Sacremento
    14) @ Golden State
    15) @ Los Angelos

    The first 20 games will be on the wisdom of our headcoach strategy,
    so listen to each of Dantoni conclusion of each game.

  7. #7
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I always do Kiya. It's interesting that people are investing so much emotionally so early. This is the time to be dispassionate, to sit back and see what we have. Cause honestly, we won't know what this thing is REALLY gonna look like until prolly just before the all-star break.

    That said, if we're 2-13 at the end of 15 I will prolly be having a hard time. I'm only human. The thing to ask though is if the record is that awful, is the season over? Well it would depend,on how the team's losing. If the team fightz hard and loses the majority of those games narrowly, then I'll hold out a bit of hope. I'd still be pretty dejected though. The point is that this experiment could be pretty ugly at first. My advice would be to keep expectations low, atleast for a while.

  8. #8
    Veteran jpz17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,782
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    easy enough. knicks win

  9. #9
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I'd be happy playing .500 ball the first 15 w/9 on the road

  10. #10
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    In our first 15 games 9 of them are away games, which is questionable for
    how well coach Dantoni could hold the team together during such a short
    lapse of time after Boston/Portland/Orlando/Chicago run.

    1) @ Toronto
    2) @ Boston
    3) Portland
    4) Orlando
    5) @ Chicago
    6) Washington
    7) Philly
    8) @ Millwaukie
    9) Golden State
    10) @ Minny
    11) Houston
    12) @ Denver
    13) @ Sacremento
    14) @ Golden State
    15) @ Los Angelos

    The first 20 games will be on the wisdom of our headcoach strategy,
    so listen to each of Dantoni conclusion of each game
    .
    u right homeboy

  11. #11
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    First off, I think the team will be fine. We now have a legitimately unstoppable player for teams to reckon w. I know it's early but I really believe in Felton too. I think our squad will be a problem for a lot of teams as the season goes on. Will they struggle early? Maybe. But I've already made a promise to myself not press the panic button for the first 15 games.

    If the team ends up w close losses during that first fifth of games against good teams and beats the teams it seems as if we're supposed to beat, i'll be more inclined to hold out hope that they'll pull it together for the long haul.

    7 positive signs to look for:

    1. Mike D'antoni uses and sticks to his ten man rotation thru the first 15 games w positive effect - ie a .500 or better record during that span.

    2. Gallo averages 17 or more points and displays more variety in his game. Also, if he stays aggressive by driving to the hole and drawing fouls inspite of a few early misses from deep, this will be a good sign for his development and for the team.

    3. They hold opponents under a hundred points in half or more of the first 15 contests.

    4. Felton shows a consistemt command over the offense that has not been seen since the SSOL was brought to NY.

    5. The team shows they can comeback and win in the forth quarter in a few of their first 15 games.

    6. If the team knocks off a contender or two, like a Boston or San Antonio during that early 15 game portion.

    7. (this one's a bit weird) If Coach spends much more time on the bench than he does standing by the scorers table. That's usually a good barometer for how comfortable he is w the way the team is playing generally.

    Again, it's still way too early to be worried. When you think about it, this is actually a good time for our Knicks to struggle. Let them screw up as much as they need to now and early on in the season. After the first 5th of the season tho, the team needs to have shown signs of growth and should definitely be giving teams a run for their money night in and night out. IMO we should look dangerous. To me this would be a .500 or better team that doesn't beat itself and isn't intimidated by anyone. Give me that and I'll still be hopeful about the season and the team's overall development. Thoughts?
    Gallo has been showing NO variety in his game, he still camps out the three point line, misses most of them, can't dribble the basketball...has not shown any "explosiveness" that he said he has been working on...he is not posting up players when he could have posted up Pierce all day if he wanted to and Wilson Chandler is clearly playing better on both ends of the floor.

    Felton has been bad so far, i dont think it will last however, he should get good...

    Mozgov is not even using the pick and roll...Amare is not doing it enough either.

    Mike D better play the young guys in Fields and Rautins more because those guys play harder than most players....Walker better be our role player at SG with Fields and Mason might be benched for good.

  12. #12
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    In our first 15 games 9 of them are away games, which is questionable for
    how well coach Dantoni could hold the team together during such a short
    lapse of time after Boston/Portland/Orlando/Chicago run.

    1) @ Toronto
    2) @ Boston
    3) Portland
    4) Orlando
    5) @ Chicago
    6) Washington
    7) Philly
    8) @ Millwaukie
    9) Golden State
    10) @ Minny
    11) Houston
    12) @ Denver
    13) @ Sacremento
    14) @ Golden State
    15) @ Los Angelos

    The first 20 games will be on the wisdom of our headcoach strategy,
    so listen to each of Dantoni conclusion of each game.
    1)W
    2)L
    3)W
    4)L
    5)W
    6)W
    7)W
    8)L
    9)L
    10)W
    11)W
    12)L
    13)W
    14)L
    15)L

    My prediction: we lose most of the away game and win most of the home games, we will lose to teams with good centers like Yao with the Rockets and Bogut with the Bucks....the best team we can beat is the Bulls because Boozer is injured.

    8 wins and 7 loses...not bad.

  13. #13
    Veteran p0nder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    ^Hmm, so u have us winning against Chicago away but losing to golden state at home?

    i see it differently:

    1) W
    2) L
    3) W
    4) L
    5) L
    6) W
    7) W
    8) L
    9) W
    10) W
    11) W
    12) L
    13) W
    14) W
    15) L

    9 - 6 to start the year. I think we'll beat houston, yao is not completely healthy or having his nba legs under him yet. I also have us beating portland, but only because we'll be coming home off a tough loss to the celtics and the guys be fired up. I think we are a better team then Chicago with boozer injured but i don't think we'll have the chemestry yet to knock off the tougher opponents. Boston, Orlando, Denver and LA are the only teams on that list i'd say that we "shouldn't" beat based on the talent on each team.

    A lot of noise is made about bogut and the bucks., I don't see it. Jennings was highly over rated after his big 50 point game last season, but other wise was relatively quiet, i see him having a sophomore slump. Bogut isn't completely healthy and i don't think he will be effective especially early in the season. I don't think they will even make the playoffs.

  14. #14
    Veteran StEpHoN_mArBuRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Queenz
    Posts
    3,086
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I always say the same.. but then I remember the Bucks have Scott Skiles as their coach.. and they respond. He has them playing hard balls tot he wall every night. I wish Dantoni did that for us.

Similar Threads

  1. Six Things To Know About The Knicks
    By moneyg in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 01, 2010, 00:50
  2. Final Grades!
    By New New York in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr 25, 2008, 19:11
  3. Jay Williams
    By Skyhi300 in forum NBA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 17, 2005, 13:14
  4. Last 10 games of the season
    By rady in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 31, 2004, 17:56
  5. Houston out for rest of regular season?!
    By kevin in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 25, 2004, 22:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •