Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Gallo' stupid way to play is his fault?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Gallo' stupid way to play is his fault?

    In the last part of the last season Gallo showed a lots of qualities. When he started to be considered dangerous beyond the arc he become more aggressive taking a lot of fouls and began to attack the paint with his 2.06 cm. In this pre-season he seems to play only for three points and a lots of funs as me are tired about this. But the question is: This can't be his decision...where is the coach? In my opinion D'Ant oblige him to pl;ay only in this way and this is terrible for his career and of course for our team

  2. #2
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Gallo

    I did not see the game against the Wizards, but the box score said enough about Gallo's play. But i am not sure that D'Antoni's system is geared to Gallo's imperfect talents. He can shoot. His current play in that regard is probably temporary. But let's face it -- he's slow and does not have a good handle in traffic. Instead of spotting up all the time, he should be in constant motion and looking for picks. Bill Bradley was slow, but he kept moving.

    When Gallo spots up, the defender gets right into his face. When he spots up in the corner, he cannot even free himself by moving backward. Because the defender is in his face, it is almost impossible for him -- with his lack of quickness -- to put the ball on the floor. So either he takes a shot with a defender on top of him or he stands there waving the ball back and forth over his head until he can pass to someone else.

    Gallo needs to move without the ball rather than spotting up and waiting for the ball. When he gets the ball, it would be helpful if he were in open space. Although he is not quick, he can be deceptive. I believe he is most effective when he is at the top of the key or at least not in the corners. Perhaps we would be better off with Wilson at the small forward position and Gallo as the shooting guard. But given Gallo's lack of quickness, this suggestion will bring howls from many of my fellow posters.

    In any event, although D'Antoni's system requires shooters -- and I do count Gallo as a shooter -- the system is limiting Gallo.

  3. #3
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I did not see the game against the Wizards, but the box score said enough about Gallo's play. But i am not sure that D'Antoni's system is geared to Gallo's imperfect talents. He can shoot. His current play in that regard is probably temporary. But let's face it -- he's slow and does not have a good handle in traffic. Instead of spotting up all the time, he should be in constant motion and looking for picks. Bill Bradley was slow, but he kept moving.

    When Gallo spots up, the defender gets right into his face. When he spots up in the corner, he cannot even free himself by moving backward. Because the defender is in his face, it is almost impossible for him -- with his lack of quickness -- to put the ball on the floor. So either he takes a shot with a defender on top of him or he stands there waving the ball back and forth over his head until he can pass to someone else.

    Gallo needs to move without the ball rather than spotting up and waiting for the ball. When he gets the ball, it would be helpful if he were in open space. Although he is not quick, he can be deceptive. I believe he is most effective when he is at the top of the key or at least not in the corners. Perhaps we would be better off with Wilson at the small forward position and Gallo as the shooting guard. But given Gallo's lack of quickness, this suggestion will bring howls from many of my fellow posters.

    In any event, although D'Antoni's system requires shooters -- and I do count Gallo as a shooter -- the system is limiting Gallo.
    I think Gallo is not really limited by speed or athleticism. I think it's more his willingness to put the ball on the floor and get physical. I suspect part of that was his back injury which lead to some bad habits. I have seen him slash more often this year and get some nice points off of mid range pull ups and in the paint. I think as he gets more comfortable with his body you will see him become more and more versatile. I am not really as worried as you seem to be and think this will be a break out year for him.

  4. #4
    Superstar pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    903
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Let's wait and see what is going to happen. YOu guys might be right that he has to stop camping outside, waiting for open shots. Doing this he will always remain a role player. However this might be exactly what Dantoni asks him to do. As far as I can see there is no proper flow on offense yet. However, I can imagine that STAT will draw a lot of defensive attention in the middle freeing up room on the perimeter once players are familiar with each others movement (or lack thereof). This could turn out to be Gallo's niché.

    However, this would mean that you cannot blame Dantoni because of Nepotism since -- if this is the case -- he is willing to hamper Gallo's long term development for an immediate game plan.

    So far the Lakers have been rubbish in pre season. Should they be worried? I don't think so. I am not saying we are the Lakers but in years back we fans got exited because of successful preseasons only to be dissappointed come regular season. So hopefully this turns out to be the old "rubbish during warm-up shooting/smoking hot come game time" phenomenon on a much larger scale, for Gallo as well as for the whole team.

  5. #5
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    I think Gallo is not really limited by speed or athleticism. I think it's more his willingness to put the ball on the floor and get physical. I suspect part of that was his back injury which lead to some bad habits. I have seen him slash more often this year and get some nice points off of mid range pull ups and in the paint. I think as he gets more comfortable with his body you will see him become more and more versatile. I am not really as worried as you seem to be and think this will be a break out year for him.
    +1.... Gallo will start to become a consistent scorer come hell or high water.

  6. #6
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Aristoteles
    In the last part of the last season Gallo showed a lots of qualities. When he started to be considered dangerous beyond the arc he become more aggressive taking a lot of fouls and began to attack the paint with his 2.06 cm. In this pre-season he seems to play only for three points and a lots of funs as me are tired about this. But the question is: This can't be his decision...where is the coach? In my opinion D'Ant oblige him to pl;ay only in this way and this is terrible for his career and of course for our team
    Mike D is part to blame for not making gallo more aggressive, but Gallo needs to take the initiative...he is a headcase/choke who is streaky like Al Harrington with no desire to post up but with a better long range shot....I don't see that Gallo doesn't understand how effective he is drawing fouls as a slasher, its pathetic how dumb and delusonal these guys are...Mike D included

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    It's very much possible that he's just taking it easy since it's preseason.

    But it's a fact of life - even the best shooter will have nights where his shot just isn't falling. Gallo is going to have to learn to drive to the basket when his 3 point shots aren't going through the hoop...that's all there is to it. He can't just depend on it...he needs to learn to post up and be willing to slash, that's how he'll take his game to a 22 PPG player level instead of just a 3 point specialist level

  8. #8
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I think it is both Mike D and Gallo...50/50.

    Mike D let's him throw up bricks and doesn't get on him for bad shot selection and ruining fast breaks and easy scoring oppurtunities. THE WORST THING ABOUT MIKE D is that he still hasn't realized that Gallo needs to be provoked to focus and play at his highest level. Mike D has to piss Gallo off, EVERY GAME, anyway possible because that's the only way Gallo can perform well at the level he should. The fact that Mike D hasn't noticed this has baffled me and many Knick fans that have said the same. This might be why Mike D might never make Gallo reach his full potential, Gallo needs a fired up coach. And Gallo should be coached to constantly drive to the basket when played tight on defense.

    Gallo needs to stop shooting stupid shots. The system is Mike D's but the shot selection is Gallo. And the selection is poor, Gallo throws up more long bricks than anyone and throws up more airballs than most players. Gallo puts enormous pressure on himself which is why he fails to be consistent. He is a head case, the classic Alex Rodriquez of the NBA. Gallo performs at his best when he's provoked because when he is pissed, all the pressure is gone and it turns into anger and focus which leads to no more thinking and just instinct(which Clyde Frazier has said numerous times is the best way to play, by instinct)

  9. #9

    Default

    Get Rid Of The Guy Hes A Scrub!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 76
    Last Post: Aug 14, 2010, 13:00
  2. Change of Heart regarding CP3
    By shaolin in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Jul 26, 2010, 09:36
  3. Put The Italian Stallion To Sleep -- dump Gallo
    By iSaYughh in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jun 27, 2010, 13:25
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Dec 03, 2009, 21:57
  5. Start Nate?, Bench Steph? Let Kids play?
    By Blumatic in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Dec 30, 2005, 10:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •