View Poll Results: If we don't improve, and are still not competitive... can we hold Coach D'Antoni acco

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 86.67%
  • No.

2 13.33%
  • Other (please explain)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF our new guys DON'T pan out....

Default IF our new guys DON'T pan out....

Everyone knows I have had my suspecions about Coach and his system. The good, bad & the ugly.

We have debated, and some of us agreed to leave Coach alone. And not that I'm hating or anticipating failure.. I just want to know how long does he have in your opinion.

I just want us all to agree, when is enough going to be enough if it comes to that, so there are no surprises?

Minus the rookies, if the Vets like Amare & Felton don't impress, and if guys like Chandler, Gallo, Randolph, TD, and Turiaf don't improve or our team isn't competitive...

can I then blame coach? Just saying... let me know.

If we don't make the playoffs this year and all our major pieces are healthy than D'ant needs to go.

the problem with this team is, (with the exception of randolph) it doesn't have one guy with upside on both sides of the floor. every championship team has at least 2 guys (one on the perimeter, one in the frontcourt) who can changed the game on either side of the ball.

I'm as optimistic as the next knick fan, but sometimes we have to be real with each other. amare isn't suddenly going to become a beast on defense. a guy like gallo isn't going to be developed properly on a team like this, and randolph, for as much upside as he has on both sides of the floor, has as much a probability of not panning out as he does reaching his potential, chandler, though his handle seems to have improved, is not and will never be a facilitator that powers the offense.

if by the break, this team isn't in 8th place at least, its best to clean house.

go get batum and let him be our scottie pippen. if it takes stat to get him, so be it.

Veteran

Given your scenario then this team would be no better than last years team. How can you not fire D'Antoni if he has another losing season. On the other hand if he pulls off a playoff spot you have to think about extending him because this team is not ready made to win like the Celtics or Heat.

I agree with Trill. Playoffs.

Then we have to ask the same question to you. What will it take for you to give D'Antoni credit?

I have no problem, and have never had a problem, with asking D'Antoni to be fired. Just give him the appropriate opportunity, which I don't feel he's had.

It seems like you are chomping at the bit for him to fail. I have no problem admitting I was wrong about D'Antoni. Do you?

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I agree with Trill. Playoffs.

Then we have to ask the same question to you. What will it take for you to give D'Antoni credit?

I have no problem, and have never had a problem, with asking D'Antoni to be fired. Just give him the appropriate opportunity, which I don't feel he's had.

It seems like you are chomping at the bit for him to fail. I have no problem admitting I was wrong about D'Antoni. Do you?
    Nah LJ4, I would have no prob. admitting I was wrong about coach, b/c obviously that would mean we are competitive and that's what's important.

I just want to hear what the concensus says. How long should we give him. A full season, 1/2 the season?

I mean if we can agree now, and IF (no I don't want it) we happen to start out say 1-6, I don't want new threads talking about the sky is falling. We can nip it in the butt now. So I guess it's a full season?

Actually, I'll go with by the trading deadline... I think that's enough time to show an improvement in the competitivness / development dept.'s.

not that I would advocate a mid-season firing either, but for once we should agree to hold Coach accountable & have credence to our expectations.

Palm Coast, Florida... formerly the playgrounds of Queens

I think the thing that may prevent this team from being successful is the difference in philosophies between what the GM and coach thinks makes a good basketball player. D'antoni looks at a players skill set from the point of view of how they fit into his system. While Walsh evaluates a player ability from a more traditional sense.

Although I have no compelling arguments to prove my theory I would like to hear other people's opinion.

Originally Posted by kingDOM312580
    I think the thing that may prevent this team from being successful is the difference in philosophies between what the GM and coach thinks makes a good basketball player. D'antoni looks at a players skill set from the point of view of how they fit into his system. While Walsh evaluates a player ability from a more traditional sense.

Although I have no compelling arguments to prove my theory I would like to hear other people's opinion.
    i agree with that in a sense, but that's his coach. he chose him based on a vision. of course, that vision hinged on lebron wade coming to nyc. this system is utter trash without a visionary distributor.

that's just how it is. I don't think felton is the guy.

I would say by the all-star break he should have a solid starting line up. a steady rotation with decent subbing patterns, and a good game plan that consists of a variety of plays on offense and defense.

if we are below .500 by that point, I will be as vocal in my criticisms of him as i was of giving him a chance to prove himself with a team that wasn't so "mickey mouse-ish"

Veteran

The coach is wack, he still doesn’t have a beat on what his players can do. He still has sussy defensive plays. All he does is change the rotation in hopes to finding a core that will fit his wack ass system. He’s been doing this since he got here. These pre-season games are very telling to what he can and cannot do. Too many changes just shows how he is unsure of himself and his players. Get Mello and take some of the heat off of the coachs short coming. The only logical reason I can think of him playing all of the trade bait is to advertise their talents to support the trade talks going on behind closed doors. I sure hope its soon, so Mello and Stat can have some time to jel with the rest of the team. If they don't get Mello...this current team will get mashed and Amare will start to become a disgruntle player once the Real Fans start coming down on the team....again.

Veteran

If we dont end the season in playoffs or extremely enthused about our immediate future.

Hopefully we get Rudy or Azzy healthy.

Gallo n Wilson at the 3, Felton n Douglas at 1, plus STAT and our stable of bigs, all of whom are young enuff to be coached up.

Really, this lineup is admittedly form fit for Dant. So...

Originally Posted by Red
    Everyone knows I have had my suspecions about Coach and his system. The good, bad & the ugly.

We have debated, and some of us agreed to leave Coach alone. And not that I'm hating or anticipating failure.. I just want to know how long does he have in your opinion.

I just want us all to agree, when is enough going to be enough if it comes to that, so there are no surprises?

Minus the rookies, if the Vets like Amare & Felton don't impress, and if guys like Chandler, Gallo, Randolph, TD, and Turiaf don't improve or our team isn't competitive...

can I then blame coach? Just saying... let me know.
    I dont like Mike D to begin with but we went out and got players just for his type of basketball, all athletic, can shoot, spread the floor and can play defense so if we dont win then he is honestly the most over rated coach in the NBA....remember this guy couldn't beat the spurs in the playoffs with Nash in his prime, a young Amare, Boris Diaw when he was good, Barbosa, etc. so I might not be surprised if this season is an epic fail.

we should win many games, we can use Amare in isolation and free up shots for our shooters and we also have very effective slashers like Felton, Amare, Chandler, Gallo can draw fouls when he drives, Mozgov can take it to the rim...so if we dont make the playoffs then Mike D should be fired on the spot

remember this guy couldn't beat the spurs in the playoffs with Nash in his prime, a young Amare, Boris Diaw when he was good, Barbosa, etc. so I might not be surprised if this season is an epic fail.
    Impartial point.

Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Larry Brown, Rudy Tomjanovich, Hubie Brown.

That's a short list of some of the NBA's best coaches that have had great teams that were beaten by better teams.

And don't you remember Amar'e's suspension against SA? Heinous.

Again, that's an impartial point and it's been posted too many times on this site.

As usual I've never been a fan of Dantoni's coaching style. I'm a true knick fan so I will support him until I feel he can no longer make an impact on our players. I would seriously start looking at Dantoni's future half way through the season if the team is underachieving. We've upgraded a bit and team morale should be way up now. There is really no reason why we shouldn't be a 7th seed with all this talent.

I say blame Dantoni going forward. He got a two year pass for rebuilding but that time is over. If he can't get Gallo to mix up his shot selection or draw up better plays that do not result in a 3 pointer then he's all hype. Organized fundamental basketball is still the way to go and if he can't see this then he needs to pack his stash and bounce.

When we lose game 7 in the first round because he forgot we have a foul to give.