Jump shot styles (training/coaching)

Sage

Rotation player
I've started coaching and playing again and I wanted to get the forums thoughts on a few things. This is mainly to do with style of jump shots.

This could end up being a long post so bear with me...

When I first started playing, you could kind of describe my shooting action as Reggie Miller-esque, kind of two handed cos I always felt my arms were too weak to get the ball to the basket from 3. As I got better, my rep coaches forced me to change my shot to a very orthadox method.

I've started playing again after about a 6 or 7 year layoff. My outside shot wasn't working like it used to so I decided to change it up. My philosophy now is your shooting action should be so simple that it's very easy to reproduce every time and do the whole "muscle memory" thing.

I'm also putting emphasys on the upper body, by not jumping whlie practicing my shot, I can focus on making sure the upper body is doing exactly the same thing every time. My thinking being that as long as your upper body is consistant, then even if you're off balance or fading away you should still be putting up a decent shot, no matter what your lower body is doing. -edit- and also when fatigue sets in, your shot should still be consistent if you're not doing a lot.

Training with my new style is showing some reward, I can hit 3s without leaving the ground easier, and if I decide to take a running jumper, they feel a lot better.

So I guess my questions are, what do you think about this training method, has anyone had to "re-learn" how to shoot and if so, what did you do? And if you were teaching someone who's new to the game how to shoot, what would you do? Tell them to just shoot how they're comfortable and get used to it, or use a particular method?

Paul1355

All Star
I've started coaching and playing again and I wanted to get the forums thoughts on a few things. This is mainly to do with style of jump shots.

When I first started playing, you could kind of describe my shooting action as Reggie Miller-esque, kind of two handed cos I always felt my arms were too weak to get the ball to the basket from 3. As I got better, my rep coaches forced me to change my shot to a very orthadox method.

I've started playing again after about a 6 or 7 year layoff. My outside shot wasn't working like it used to so I decided to change it up. My philosophy now is your shooting action should be so simple that it's very easy to reproduce every time and do the whole "muscle memory" thing.

I'm also putting emphasys on the upper body, by not jumping whlie practicing my shot, I can focus on making sure the upper body is doing exactly the same thing every time. My thinking being that as long as your upper body is consistant, then even if you're off balance or fading away you should still be putting up a decent shot, no matter what your lower body is doing. -edit- and also when fatigue sets in, your shot should still be consistent if you're not doing a lot.

Training with my new style is showing some reward, I can hit 3s without leaving the ground easier, and if I decide to take a running jumper, they feel a lot better.

So I guess my questions are, what do you think about this training method, has anyone had to "re-learn" how to shoot and if so, what did you do? And if you were teaching someone who's new to the game how to shoot, what would you do? Tell them to just shoot how they're comfortable and get used to it, or use a particular method?
ive never really been taught how to shoot...i guess i shoot kind of like andy rautins and i developed a mid range jump shot after being a post player my whole life...i have a weak right hand and can't lay up right handed without looking stupid so i play with my left and only use the right hand for cross overs and post moves.
I recently heard some tips on how to shoot consistently...how to hold your fingers wide etc, i usually forget to snap my wrist.....

Any tips?

Sage

Rotation player
Not 100% if there's a prefered method with the fingers, but I keep all the fingers on my shooting hand pretty loose. Keeping my fingers relaxed means there's more surface coverage on the ball. If you were to push off with your fingers you'd probably only have the tips of maybe two fingers on the ball when it's released, which may affect the consistancy.

But that's just what I do.

quiggle

Starter
watch the movie Above the Rim with Leon and Marlon Waynes, he gives him some tips on how to properly release a jumper.

quiggle

Starter
yeah it still got one of the better songs at the start of a movie imo

for the peeps who havent heard it before

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I am a former high school basketball coach. I don't know if you are overweight; but, for most people, if they are overweight, even a little, their shooting suffers, as it screws up your ability to move smoothly on the court.

Also, it's a bad idea to emphasize the upper body. The best shooters I have seen jump well:I recommend plyometrics (jump training: use the stairs in your building or house to jump up and down from, use a stationary bike, all while wearing ankle weights), if your leaping ability is poor.

When shooting, get up in the air, in the standard shooting form, until you hit the pinnacle for your jump. Right then, let it go.

Good luck.

Sage

Rotation player
Thanks for the tips everyone! There's something kind of inconsistant about my shot at the moment so I'll have to get the camera out and try and see what I'm doing.

OGKnickfan, I'm definitely heavier than I was 7 years ago when I played. I was a 2 guard/small forward and I'd be a power forward now.

I probably mis-spoke about upper body. When I set my feet my shot is a very fliud motion and I get lift from the legs in order to put a good shot up. But sometimes you can find yourself off balance or taking a fadeaway shot, etc. So I figure you should make sure that the upper body motion is consistant enough to still put up a high percentage shot in those cases.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer

To teach someone new to the game, basic step is to have your shooting hand and guide hand (keep elbows high). When shooting the ball the shooting hand must give the ball good rotation for it to have a nice arc and soft touch on the rim. The guide hand just does what it says guide the ball.

The legs are also important bending your knees and pointing them towards the basket helps develop a jump shot. Your right about the "muscle memory" when someone finds there shot to be consistent you have to find rhythm to the way you shoot. Your legs help you keep rhythm and practicing the shot helps to get better.

For those that are not new to the game, if you see something wrong with there shot it must be corrected. They might shoot the ball well at times but won't become a great shooter. The release of the ball is also important and should be kept high if not the player will be uncomfortable in front of a defender because he will be blocked. Shooting with two hands - is also unacceptable because it won't have a rotation and won't be easy to guide the ball. Bank shots are also important, helps avoid block shots and develop other shots like: lay ups, post up shots, floater shot, and creating a shot off the dribble.

Example of a bad shot:
Rajon Rondo (two hand shot) Joakim Noah
Shawn Marion (release too low)

Example of a good shot:
Danilo Gallinari
Rashard Lewis
J.J. Reddick

side note: I have changed my shot plenty of times and it was always for the best. My shot changed from the way Marion shot to Rashard Lewis, used to get blocked and now make the shot i peoples faces.
Confidence
is what you need to coach your players of doing, (half of the game is mental) if you have an open shot, shoot it.