Chandler 6th man and contract extension

mafra

Legend
There are two ways to look at this:

1) Wilson has returned from the "turmoil" of last year (injuries/mary jane bust) with renewed focus and determination; that he's proving to MD&Walsh that he wants to maximiaze his talents, not underachive.... That Chandler is ready to become a legit #3 type star on a contedning team.

With Gallo and Randolph looking like they're still a LONG way away, the Knicks have decided that Wilson is a keeper. He's versatile, can play SG-SF-PF, can score and defend, and has a shot to be an elite role player to a star like Amar'e.

or

2) Wilson will bemore valuable as a trade asset if this commodity is more than a 1 year rental. Sign WC to a reasonable extension, and now any suitor will pay more for a piece they can control for 3-4 years, as opposed to watching him walk at season's end.

Paul1355

All Star
There have been preliminary discussions between Wilson Chandler and the Knicks about a potential contract extension.

Chandler is coming off the bench as 6th man for help in scoring and Tony Douglas might start SG.

Thoughts?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...news.asp?sport=NBA&id=1403&line=141008&spln=1

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/10/23/2010-10-23_chandler_could_sit.html

This could be a really good team with Felton and Douglas giving us the fastest back court in the NBA and with great perimter d, but Douglas will get owned by tall SG's so Chandler or Fields would be more suitable in my opinion to start but I think Toney should be our sixth man.

If anything I think making Fields our starting SG and having him play around 28 min a game would make Douglas and Chandler average around 20 minutes per game, making our bench solid. Fields plays better with Amare and Amare plays better with Fields.

But Douglas' defense is fantastic and his speed is a asset because off the ball Douglas is a nightmare with his speed.

IDK I am more towards Fields starting and giving our bench more strength with Douglas-Chandler.

And I think the contract extension is so the Knicks can sign Chandler cheap and trade him so his value goes up with a small contract in case he does good and demands a high contract next off season....sign and trade for Wilson.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
There are two ways to look at this:

1) Wilson has returned from the "turmoil" of last year (injuries/mary jane bust) with renewed focus and determination; that he's proving to MD&Walsh that he wants to maximiaze his talents, not underachive.... That Chandler is ready to become a legit #3 type star on a contedning team.

With Gallo and Randolph looking like they're still a LONG way away, the Knicks have decided that Wilson is a keeper. He's versatile, can play SG-SF-PF, can score and defend, and has a shot to be an elite role player to a star like Amar'e.

or

2) Wilson will bemore valuable as a trade asset if this commodity is more than a 1 year rental. Sign WC to a reasonable extension, and now any suitor will pay more for a piece they can control for 3-4 years, as opposed to watching him walk at season's end.

Gallo is the starter.

Gallo is ready for the season.

He is not a long way away..

Listen up cause i'm tryin to tell y'all something.

Gallo was just bullshitn' w y'all.

HE IS READY FOR THE SEASON!

Thas why you didn't here coach D'ant say one word suggesting he wouldn't do his thing, or complaining about performances so far.

Too many of y'all read way too much in to what these players r doin in preseason. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
AGREE COMPLETELEY about Gallo. 17-5-3 w a blck n stl averages. At a minimum this yr. To go along w elite range.

I kinda hope Chandler stays for a good price.

elcol

Rotation player
gallo had 1 good game in the preseason and you're jumping up and down?
please...he better step it up because i honestly don't see anything from gallo except for an opportunity for his matchup to blow by him 9 times in a row to get an easy layup.
the fact that gallo may be slacking in preseason isn't a good sign, you didn't see amar'e dicking around during his playing time(top 5 preseason scoring, 20+ point games a bunch of times if not all). preseason is no excuse to **** around especially when you are working so hard to gel with your teammates because knicks are a whole new team.

right now i keep chandler over gallo, sorry.

gallo had 1 good game in the preseason and you're jumping up and down?
please...he better step it up because i honestly don't see anything from gallo except for an opportunity for his matchup to blow by him 9 times in a row to get an easy layup.
the fact that gallo may be slacking in preseason isn't a good sign, you didn't see amar'e dicking around during his playing time(top 5 preseason scoring, 20+ point games a bunch of times if not all). preseason is no excuse to **** around especially when you are working so hard to gel with your teammates because knicks are a whole new team.

right now i keep chandler over gallo, sorry.
strong post son.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
The Knicks need Chandler to start and Douglas as the 6th man. When the bench is on the floor the team turnover the ball. Douglas needs to run the offense substituting for Felton, he needs to improve in controlling the point to lowering turnovers off the bench.

Chandler is showing improvement and hope he continues. I want Chandler to stay on the Knicks, but to talk contract extension this early after recovering from injury makes it look like it will be for a trade; or maybe they believe in Chandler and want him cheap.

Felton - Floor General
Chandler - Slasher
Gallo - Shooter
Stat - Inside Scorer
Mozgov - Athletic Intimidator

The Starters look affective, the problem lies on rebounding and energy off the bench. Azzy will make things easier in a month or two.

Kiyaman

Legend
Gallo is the starter.

Gallo is ready for the season.

He is not a long way away..

Listen up cause i'm tryin to tell y'all something.

Gallo was just bullshitn' w y'all.

HE IS READY FOR THE SEASON!

Thas why you didn't here coach D'ant say one word suggesting he wouldn't do his thing, or complaining about performances so far.

Too many of y'all read way too much in to what these players r doin in preseason. Stay tuned!
:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo: :barf:

Yeah yeah yeah, "Gallo is the best shooter I ever seen"
pass the piff :smokin::smokin::smokin:

Kiyaman

Legend
Chandler/Lee earned extension by their 3rd season

The Knicks is missing a 20 point per game SG for 28 mpg.
Morrow or Brewer were available. Rookie Fields is a great backup.
The Knicks shouldve signed PG-Farmers to challenge Felton.
We were suppose to have 3 PG in our (uptempo) rotation last season.
Toney Douglas is our best 6th man off the bench with PG/SG talent.
Wilson Chandler is our 30 mpg starting SF (GM/coach better realize).
Amare is our 32 mpg starting PF (that dont like long losing streaks).
Mozgov is a rookie center with alot to learn about when/where to
shoot/when to pass/how to pick/screen for his teammates to score or
rebound (a decent raw backup).
Having Gallo sit on the bench will make him practice his 3-ball shooting :)crossfingers:).
Is Anthony Randolph still injured? or is his IQ as bad as his inconsistency?
Turiaf makes Channing Frye look like an all-star.

The Knicks weakness that makes them a 30 sumthin win team:

1) The Knicks dont have a leadership scoring SG to push PG-Felton skills.
2) The Knicks dont have a starting center or a backup rebounding PF.
3) The Knicks do have a headcoach that will allow 7 to 8 players to shoot
the 3-ball shot with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
The Knicks is missing a 20 point per game SG for 28 mpg.
Morrow or Brewer were available. Rookie Fields is a great backup.
The Knicks shouldve signed PG-Farmers to challenge Felton.
We were suppose to have 3 PG in our (uptempo) rotation last season.
Toney Douglas is our best 6th man off the bench with PG/SG talent.
Wilson Chandler is our 30 mpg starting SF (GM/coach better realize).
Amare is our 32 mpg starting PF (that dont like long losing streaks).
Mozgov is a rookie center with alot to learn about when/where to
shoot/when to pass/how to pick/screen for his teammates to score or
rebound (a decent raw backup).
Having Gallo sit on the bench will make him practice his 3-ball shooting :)crossfingers:).
Is Anthony Randolph still injured? or is his IQ as bad as his inconsistency?
Turiaf makes Channing Frye look like an all-star.

The Knicks weakness that makes them a 30 sumthin win team:

1) The Knicks dont have a leadership scoring SG to push PG-Felton skills.
2) The Knicks dont have a starting center or a backup rebounding PF.
3) The Knicks do have a headcoach that will allow 7 to 8 players to shoot
the 3-ball shot with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

Who the hell could we have gotten that could average 20 ppg at 28 mpg?? Idk what you're drinkin... but Morrow ain't that guy and neither is Brewer.

Farmer is about as good as Douglas who has already challenged Felton, so no need to sign him.

Mozgov is a rookie that doesn't fack up the game when he's in. He can challenge people down low w his post dfense and he ain't afraid to go up and pin somebody's sh?t. He'll be fine. And he should start cause he's the best option we have. You have no patience kiya. Oh and Turiaf is our solid backup PF/C..

And do you honestly think because Gallo had few lackluster preseason games that he won't knock down close to 200 3pters and shoot over 40% this season?? Practice 3s more? You're mad!!

Yes, shooting guard is a problem. Chandler there, is a problem too. Idk what do. I honestly have a lot of confidence in Walker and think he's a better fit. He has a good feel for the O, moves the ball, can shoot, and he might even be a better athlete than Chandler. Another suggestion would be to get the trade for Rudy done and I would imagine Donnie is still trying to accomplish that.. in some capacity. But that may preclude us from getting Melo down the road if we lose pieces, so we'll prolly go w what we have for now. Coach.. Start Skywalker!!

This is the SSOL kiya. This how we play. It's predicated on proper spacing, pushing the pace to get up more shots then the other team and shooting from deep. We have a cadre of players that can run it, most notably a PG who can actually make 3s and get our O started quickly.

Our O will work well w these players, maybe not right away as I've stated before, but eventually (it may take 10 to 15 games before it really starts to look right).

I think we are a dangerous team. IMO the kind of team that can challenge anybody.

I really like our guys and our coach.

Last edited:

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
I think if Gallo doesn't step it up. Chandler might steal that starting spot from him. There's gunna be a lot of competition for starting positions this season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Who the hell could we have gotten that could average 20 ppg at 28 mpg?? Idk what you're drinkin... but Morrow ain't that guy and neither is Brewer.

It dont look like Walsh single out any of the FA this summer other than
Lebron/D.Wade/Bosh/and Amare. The Lakers reached an agreement with
Steve Blake on July 2nd.
Morrow & Brewer will bring u quick points in an uptempo offense.
Having a rotation of Morrow, Walker, and Fields to fill the 48 mpg SG spot
would be a luxury on offense with Felton/Douglas.

Farmer is about as good as Douglas who has already challenged Felton, so no need to sign him.

Farmers wouldve gave us the much needed 3rd PG to use in an uptempo
offense with a 3-guard lineup to add as another weapon in our rotation.

Mozgov is a rookie that doesn't fack up the game when he's in. He can challenge people down low w his post dfense and he ain't afraid to go up and pin somebody's sh?t. He'll be fine. And he should start cause he's the best option we have. You have no patience kiya. Oh and Turiaf is our solid backup PF/C..

Mozgov is a rookie .... no more to be said.
Turiaf experience only adds up to Jordan Hill's clumsy way of
screening/rebounding/and blocking shots. Compare the two this season
on how well they compliment their teammates performance.

And do you honestly think because Gallo had few lackluster preseason games that he won't knock down close to 200 3pters and shoot over 40% this season?? Practice 3s more? You're mad!!

Its not about how many 3-ball shots u make in the NBA. It's about when your
team needs a 3-ball shot made. Think of Steve Kerr and Horry, players that
only shot the 3-ball when their teams needed a 3-ball shot made.

Yes, shooting guard is a problem. Chandler there, is a problem too. Idk what do. I honestly have a lot of confidence in Walker and think he's a better fit. He has a good feel for the O, moves the ball, can shoot, and he might even be a better athlete than Chandler. Another suggestion would be to get the trade for Rudy done and I would imagine Donnie is still trying to accomplish that.. in some capacity. But that may preclude us from getting Melo down the road if we lose pieces, so we'll prolly go w what we have for now. Coach.. Start Skywalker!!

Wilson Chandler never was or will be a decent SG, he will always be a decent
defender of all 3 positions (SG/SF/PF). Chandler is a natural SF growing in the NBA.

This is the SSOL kiya. This how we play. It's predicated on proper spacing, pushing the pace to get up more shots then the other team and shooting from deep. We have a cadre of players that can run it, most notably a PG who can actually make 3s and get our O started quickly.
Our O will work well w these players, maybe not right away as I've stated before, but eventually (it may take 10 to 15 games before it really starts to look right).
I think we are a dangerous team. IMO the kind of team that can challenge anybody.
I really like our guys and our coach
That is very nice to know.

So far I only could recall 5 PG that ran the SSOL consistently well in the NBA,
their names are Magic Johnson, Stocton, Keven Johnson, Kidd, and Nash
(3 of these players were Phoenix Suns).
President/ex-coach Pat Riley never tried to get any player to do for him what
Magic Johnson did for him at the PG position.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
IDK I am more towards Fields starting and giving our bench more strength with Douglas-Chandler.

I like this idea a lot. Have the two rookies in Fields and Mozgov start but give them only 20-25 min a night. Fields is a really good rebounder and a decent shooter. Have a 2nd unit of Douglas, Walker, Chandler, Randolph and Turiaf to fill out the 10 man rotation. This is a great 2nd unit that can give non-stop full court pressure, hustle, defense and scoring.

Douglas and Chandler can still get significant minutes (around 30+) with their versatility. Those two can finish games with their defense too. Same with Turiaf (defense and experience).

That 2nd unit could win a lot of games for us this season.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I like this idea a lot. Have the two rookies in Fields and Mozgov start but give them only 20-25 min a night. Fields is a really good rebounder and a decent shooter. Have a 2nd unit of Douglas, Walker, Chandler, Randolph and Turiaf to fill out the 10 man rotation. This is a great 2nd unit that can give non-stop full court pressure, hustle, defense and scoring.

Douglas and Chandler can still get significant minutes (around 30+) with their versatility. Those two can finish games with their defense too. Same with Turiaf (defense and experience).

That 2nd unit could win a lot of games for us this season.

Starting Dougas isn't a good idea. Not because he isn't capable but because that's not an ideal starting back court against a lot of stronger teams. We need consistency at each position and that will only happen if guys are fully aware of their starting roles and what's expected of them each game. If you start Douglas now then I guarantee you Dantoni will make adjustments for various teams with more height and size.

Let TD come off the bench. I don't see why Walker can't be the starting SG since he was the most accurate 3pt shooter in preseason games.