Mark My Words: Anthony Randolph will improve!!!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Statistically speaking it has been a rough Pre Season for AR and a lot of Knick fans are begining to doubt him and question as to if there was a better package out there for David Lee that Donnie passed up on, especially with Azabuike looking like he may never suit up for us and Ronnie T looking like he is just a bit player at best.

But you gotta believe the best is yet to come for this kid.

Remember when Marcus Camby came to NY for Oakley? He sucked horribly!!! I think he got a string of DNPs to start the Pre Season off with, if I'm not mistaking he only played in 1 of the 4 Pre Season games (lockout forced a shorter season) that year.

But eventually he caught on and was a key player for us and the rest is history.

I see the same thing happening for Anthony Randolph, the talent is there he just does not know how to use it yet!

I put a lot of that on our coaching staff tho!

There is a lot of emphasis put on his shot selection and I hear that, but every player in this offense has horrible shot selection!

He is not a step back jump shooter, yet I saw video of the coaching staff working on it, when in fact giving him some more reps in the post would be most beneficial to his game

Another encouraging sign is despite him struggling he is still averaging 10 pts 4 rebs and 1 blk off the bench.

We have to be patient with him....consider this.....we all love Mozgov's game and his upside despite concerns with him being foul prone and still very raw, now consider Randolph is 3 years younger and has an even bigger upside!

Toney Douglas too has impressed most of us, but he is actully shooting the ball worst than Randolph and only scoring 1 more point despite more minutes!!! And Randolph has a bigger upside than him too!

I think Randolph will come on strong (probably somewhere around December or so) and we will see why he was traded for!

Paul1355

All Star
Statistically speaking it has been a rough Pre Season for AR and a lot of Knick fans are begining to doubt him and question as to if there was a better package out there for David Lee that Donnie passed up on, especially with Azabuike looking like he may never suit up for us and Ronnie T looking like he is just a bit player at best.

But you gotta believe the best is yet to come for this kid.

Remember when Marcus Camby came to NY for Oakley? He sucked horribly!!! I think he got a string of DNPs to start the Pre Season off with, if I'm not mistaking he only played in 1 of the 4 Pre Season games (lockout forced a shorter season) that year.

But eventually he caught on and was a key player for us and the rest is history.

I see the same thing happening for Anthony Randolph, the talent is there he just does not know how to use it yet!

I put a lot of that on our coaching staff tho!

There is a lot of emphasis put on his shot selection and I hear that, but every player in this offense has horrible shot selection!

He is not a step back jump shooter, yet I saw video of the coaching staff working on it, when in fact giving him some more reps in the post would be most beneficial to his game

Another encouraging sign is despite him struggling he is still averaging 10 pts 4 rebs and 1 blk off the bench.

We have to be patient with him....consider this.....we all love Mozgov's game and his upside despite concerns with him being foul prone and still very raw, now consider Randolph is 3 years younger and has an even bigger upside!

Toney Douglas too has impressed most of us, but he is actully shooting the ball worst than Randolph and only scoring 1 more point despite more minutes!!! And Randolph has a bigger upside than him too!

I think Randolph will come on strong (probably somewhere around December or so) and we will see why he was traded for!
For Randolph to be consistent with either take years OR he might go on as a streak player...I remember last year he started off bad and then went on a roll and played great for like 3 weeks straight averaging all star numbers.

He has to lose the nervous jitters...just let the game come to him, don't force anything and don't give up stupid turnovers.

I like when he is aggressive and drives to the hoop, he draws a lot of fouls.

elcol

Rotation player
his defence though is nice, needs to get into the post way more often and to get off the three point line.

tiger0330

Legend
I hope you're right but how is the guy going to improve if he's buried at the end of the bench. Let's see how many DNPs he logs to see if D'ants has really lost confidence in him.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Not to impressed by Randolph, seems to nervous. Lets hope Amare's leadership will help Randolph's awareness, confidence, and IQ improve.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
walsh has man love for these kind of guys.. he had a shit load of them at indy... and all i have to say is donnie where's the bling??? these guys are coach killers... look great one minute like fukups the next. lee was money in the bank. you can't tell be we couldn't have got a better deal for lee. i don't mind signing stat and kicking lee to the curb... that's fine.. but getting randolph??? turiaf is going to get cut... he is 4m against the cap... and the other dude isn't ever going to wear a knick jersey.... donnie falls in love with these guys and all i can say is donnie... wheres the fukn bling... these guys don't fuking win championships and you should have fukn figured that out by now.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
walsh has man love for these kind of guys.. he had a shit load of them at indy... and all i have to say is donnie where's the bling??? these guys are coach killers... look great one minute like fukups the next. lee was money in the bank. you can't tell be we couldn't have got a better deal for lee. i don't mind signing stat and kicking lee to the curb... that's fine.. but getting randolph??? turiaf is going to get cut... he is 4m against the cap... and the other dude isn't ever going to wear a knick jersey.... donnie falls in love with these guys and all i can say is donnie... wheres the fukn bling... these guys don't fuking win championships and you should have fukn figured that out by now.

I can't argue w any of that. Nice post.

On second thought, Turiaf prolly won't be cut.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
I hope you're right but how is the guy going to improve if he's buried at the end of the bench. Let's see how many DNPs he logs to see if D'ants has really lost confidence in him.

Thats really what it comes down to....Dantoni needs to be patient just like Knick fans, I understand that he is trying to win games in the immediate, but in order to win down the road you must play your young players to develop skill and confidence.

If a player lacks confidence in his game and he is also not a jump shooter, how is trying to make him a shooter going to help w a lack of confidence?

You allow them to operate with the skills that they have and then try to expand on that....this is exactly what Dantoni did w/ players like Jefferies and Diaw, but is not taking that approach with Randolph who is a far better talent than both

And this disgust me just saying this.....but Isiah Thomas was a master at this! Wheather it was Indy or NY he did a good job of instilling confidence by letting a player do them and then trying to build on that ( Jermaine Oneil Ron Artest for example)...now in the case of The Knicks none of the players improved much beyond what they could do because they were all so damn one dimensional and/or lacked work ethic (prime example is Eddy Curry).

side note:The Knick spirit in me just threw up twice while complementing Isiah Thomas for something.

What does Anthony Randolph do good right now? He is a good defender, rebounder, good finisher around the rim and decent passer so basically Mike D can use him like an upgraded Jared Jefferies....now he has much much more potential than that, but that is what you got and you build on that.

Jared Jefferies became a half way decent jump shooter his second year under Dantoni, but that was after he was assured a serious role w/ the team first.

Point again is that if Dantoni continues to shuffle this kid in and out of the rotation all season we will for sure get the same sort of inconsistient play out of him

New New York

Quiet Storm

Donnie Walsh put together teams in Indy that were Championship Conternders year in and out! I mean at least 7 teams that went to the East Finals and produced multiple All Star players and MVP canidates (Reggie Miller one era, Jermaine Oneil the next). Four times they lost to the eventual NBA champions, Donnie like so many other great teams created had a team that was playing against Jordan and The Bulls, there really isnt much you can do about that! But it wasnt from poor contruction of the team!

In terms of a better deal for Lee....that is a question we are natually going to ask, but Lee did have the right to reject any destination he did not like, so maybe we couldve gotten more from a team like Minny (not that any such deal was ever reported) but ultimatley Lee couldve blocked it.

Now about guys like Randolph not winning Championships, two such players come to mind

1.Lamar Odom: no he is not on that level yet, but he is in the mold of that type of player

2. Tyshaun Prince: very similar type of player as Randolph too

Both players have Won Titles!

These "type of players" can help teams win, if used right by their coach!

Give Donnie a break, no one was bashing this move when it occured, Randolph plays bad in a 8 game Pre Season and fans are now dubbing Donnie a bad GM for bringing him here....stop it!

just my :2cents:

nyk_nyk

All Star
What does Anthony Randolph do good right now? He is a good defender, rebounder, good finisher around the rim and decent passer so basically Mike D can use him like an upgraded Jared Jefferies....now he has much much more potential than that, but that is what you got and you build on that.

Can someone PLEASE relay this message to Danphony!

Trying to improve players jumpshot before you get them comfortable with playing to their current strengths is counter productive and just plain stupid.