Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Walton Loves Amar'e but has no words for Melo.

Originally Posted by mafra
    I loved how he said Melo wasn't in the same league as a legit #1 top-dog star like Kobe Bryant.

WHAT?

Where were the Lakers when the 2005 playoffs tipped off? That's right, nowhere to be found.

Kobe is a great player. A HOF closer and scorer. But Kobe doesn't make players around him better and KOBE HAS WON NOTHING when he wasn't complimented with another All-Star center.

Without a HOF center, Kobe was a 1 and done, first round exit player. Led his team to nada... Made nobody better. He even quit in a game 7 b/c he's immature.

Sure, Kobe has 5 rings.... But, not one ring came without Shaq or Gasol. Basically, Kobe needed the BEST CENTER in the NBA at the time in order to win.

Let's see what happens if Kobe plays with JR Smith and Kenyon Martin, and put Carmelo on a team with Shaq or Gasol.

Carmelo carried Syracuse to a title AS A FRESHMAN. The dude is a winner. BUT, like Kobe he's an offensive savant. A scorer. He's not Magic or Lebron.

Put Carmelo with Stoudemire and find out how much of a top dog he really is.

Screw you Walton. Go smoke some more dope.
    In all fairness to kobe, all championships in the last, say, 20 years, were won with superstar tandems....magic/kareem, bird/mchale, michael/scottie, zeke/dumars, the dream/ksmith, duncan/parker...etc.etc. I don't think any less of kobe cause he had shaq or gasol. NBA is too deep to win with just 2 hands. IMHO, i'd rather have a star pg+stat over melo+stat.

Originally Posted by Blumatic
    I read that before. Those kind of stats mean nothing in basketball. This is not baseball. Those are from the same kind of people that says Melo is not an elite player. If I need points give me melo over Lebron. If I need a play give me Lebron over Melo. You have to just see it. You don't scout with numbers. You see it in basket ball. If you talking all time hey cant argue with you, you seen them I haven't. But today what I say holds more water.

Vince Carter clutch? the man has no heart or desire. Him over Kobe invalidates that article.
    Actually I believe Melo was first a few years ago.
    At this point in today's basketball, as much as I hate the Lakers I would have to put Kobe first now.

It is too bad that you weren't around to see those great players.

I agree that now it is a different game.

The part of the game that I don't like now is all of the isolations.
    Back then there was a lot more moving without the ball and 5 on 5 basketball.

The most entertaining brand of basketball was the ABA.

That was wild.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    It wasn't just Kobe + Shaq or Kobe + Gasol that won those championships. Players like Derek Fischer, Lamar Odom, Robert Horry, Ron Artest, etc surrounding those two stars to make an exceptionally deep TEAM is what won the championships.

All the more reason to wait and sign Melo in the offseason and ADD him to the current roster and surround the two stars with a deep, complimentary roster.

That is how the Knicks will win a championship. Trade everybody for Melo now and eliminate our depth, flexibility, assets and draft picks, and any chance of ever winning a championship.
    Well, my limit would be Gallinari, Randolph, Curry.

If we can keep Mozgov, Chandler, Fields, Douglas and Walker (along with Felton and Stat).... I would trade all the rest to get Melo here.

Randolph might pan out, same with Gallo.... but not for 2-4 years. They really shouldn;t even be getting more than 10 minutes a night right now they're so far from being even semi-productive.

I would bet against them, than let Melo pass b/c I'm hoping they get their act together.

Superstar

Originally Posted by 1970KnicksLove
    Actually I believe Melo was first a few years ago.
    At this point in today's basketball, as much as I hate the Lakers I would have to put Kobe first now.

It is too bad that you weren't around to see those great players.

I agree that now it is a different game.

The part of the game that I don't like now is all of the isolations.
    Back then there was a lot more moving without the ball and 5 on 5 basketball.

The most entertaining brand of basketball was the ABA.

That was wild.
    You have no argument here that basketball was better back then. I say we have more electrofying plays today but today the NBA is full of kids who want to be Jordan and care nothing for the little things of basketball.

Back then full grown men entered as rookies, these players today cant vote.

Originally Posted by mafra
    Well, my limit would be Gallinari, Randolph, Curry.

If we can keep Mozgov, Chandler, Fields, Douglas and Walker (along with Felton and Stat).... I would trade all the rest to get Melo here.

Randolph might pan out, same with Gallo.... but not for 2-4 years. They really shouldn;t even be getting more than 10 minutes a night right now they're so far from being even semi-productive.

I would bet against them, than let Melo pass b/c I'm hoping they get their act together.
    well if recent performances continue, melo wouldnt come for just gallo, randolph, and curry. 2 unprovens and a fat man for a bonafide star? The way its looking, the only option IS to gut the team, and I'm not feelin that move. We lost today against a championship caliber team and gave em a good run; I saw a lot of potential in our core. They'd have to come up with some ingenious 3way to pick up melo by just shipping off those 3.

Bump, Baby, Bump, Lol!

Superstar

When will it get through peoples skulls that Chauncey is a borderline top 5 PG.....

This trade was great really there was nothing bad about it. There is a reason why we no longer play 7 ssol and it has nothing to do with coach. Chauncey is a floor general, notice how he takes his time setting up most of the time.

There are a lot of Melo haters out there. A lot of people think he's a one dimensional scorer, but he's the best at what he does and people should recognize that. Bron might be a more complete player, but if you need buckets at the end of games there isn't a guy in the NBA I would take over Melo and that includes Kobe, Lebron, and Wade. A lot of people get so wrapped up in stats that they forget the most basic concept of the game. Score more points than the other team. Melo is the best pure scorer in the NBA and he can't be stopped by any defense. We saw him as the leading scorer of the USA national team under D'Antoni so we know what he's capable of. He might hog the ball from time to time, but I think D'Antoni's system is going to make him less selfish since he knows he'll be getting the ball back if he passes it. You would probably hog the ball also if you knew you could basically score the ball at will against any defense. I don't know why Walton started hating on him because he called Melo the best player on team USA a few years ago.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I know that not everyone loves Melo, but Simmons made a good point:

The one thing Melo is best at is probably the single most important thing in a basketball game: he has a great ability to score with less than 3 minutes left.