"Chandler could be Knicks Version of Cano"

KingCharles34

All Star
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/chandler_the_new_cano_JGDuo0l3vXXu4hslGe5bFJ

Chandler could be Knicks' version of Cano

Last Updated: 10:13 AM, October 29, 2010
Posted: 12:36 AM, October 29, 2010

You see the flashes of potential, those moments where his talent is clearly obvious. It's just not marginal talent either. It's the kind of talent that can dominate a game when he chooses to exert his will.
Yet, there are those other moments when all that skill seems non-existent, buried in lethargy or a lack of passion.
The Yankees had a player like that. His name is Robinson Cano. But I'm talking about Wilson Chandler, the Knicks' swingman who needs to have a breakout season if his team is going to make the playoffs.
Cano might well be the American League MVP after finally fulfilling all the potential the Yankees saw in him when they made him their second baseman in 2005. The journey was sometimes frustrating, as Cano would have people scratching their heads when he didn't always run hard on the bases or didn't get to a ball that he should have.

Cano wasn't always focused, or so it seemed. And he didn't dominate games, but settled for being a role player, insisting he was giving his all even when it didn't look like it.
But the last two seasons, Cano has evolved into one of baseball's best players, hitting for average and power while consistently playing a brilliant second base. He has become all the Yankees thought he would be, if not more.

Thus far, Chandler has been the player Cano used to be. There are times when he can take over a game like he did in the season opener Wednesday night at Toronto, where he came off the bench to score a team-high 22 points. He also had eight rebounds and played a part defensively in limiting Toronto's Andrea Bargnani to just four second-half points after scoring 18 before the break.

Chandler, who logged 29 minutes, carried the Knicks early in the fourth quarter when he scored 8 of his team's 10 points during one stretch -- and he helped seal the victory by hassling Leandro Barbosa into missing a potential game-tying 3-pointer from the corner with three seconds left.
"He's been that player for a while," Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said of Chandler after the win. "He's very good."

Yet, there are too many times you get the feeling Chandler doesn't know how good he can be. In his third full season from DePaul, Chandler started 64 of 65 games last season, but opens this season as the team's sixth man while rookie Landry Fields starts at shooting guard alongside Danilo Gallinari at small forward.

D'Antoni insists it is not a demotion, but to fill a need for energy and points off the bench. Chandler says he's cool with it.
"It could change or stay the same," he said. "Whatever, I'm there."
It may help his game knowing the Knicks need him to make an instant impact any time he enters a game. His role is clear. His focus needs to be sharp.
Injuries have played a part in keeping Chandler from blossoming, but he says he is as healthy as he has been in his career.
"Hopefully, it can stay that way," he said.

The presence of Amar'e Stoudemire also should bring out the best in Chandler. This is the first time he has played with one of the league's best leaders, a proven All-Star who can show Chandler how to prepare himself mentally and physically for the grind of an 82-game season.
Chandler, who has averaged 13.4 points and 5.1 rebounds in his career, may not have as much upside in basketball as Cano has in baseball. But he certainly has the potential to consistently deliver the kind of game he did against the Raptors.

Is George Willis of the NY Post in over his head with this comparison or is he onto something?

I think hes a little over his head, i wouldnt compare Chandler to Cano because Cano is an MVP candidate. Chandler will never be that...but if he scores, rebounds, and consistently defends, i dont see why he cant be an all star.

So far Chandler is playin like an all star...

20.5ppg
50% fg
7rpg
3bpg

But then again, 2 games is a very small sample size. I hope he can keep it up though, with Gallo making up injuries we need someone to help Stardamire on offense

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I see it as more like Nick Swisher than anything. Always been good but he's changed up his game and is taking a stride forward. And Swish was an all-star, not an MVP.

Cano was an MVP player this year, When will Ill Wil (no offense to him, hes terrific) ever get on that level?

Anyway, I do hope Chandler maintains this 20 ppg average this year.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I see it as more like Nick Swisher than anything. Always been good but he's changed up his game and is taking a stride forward. And Swish was an all-star, not an MVP.

Cano was an MVP player this year, When will Ill Wil (no offense to him, hes terrific) ever get on that level?

Anyway, I do hope Chandler maintains this 20 ppg average this year.

Those were my exact thoughts.

knicksin60

Starter
Chandler is more like the Marcus Thames of the Knicks.A player that comes off the bench and gives his team a spark.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I like the Nick Swisher comparison. Solid guy with talent just needs a few adjustments.

Nick Swisher worked with Kevin Long a lot in the offseason to see if he could raise his batting average. Long worked with him to keep his head steady which would allow for better posture and allow him to see the ball better, and that's why his batting average went up from last year's.