We're Starting to Come Together...

Red

TYPE-A
NEW YORK -- By now, perhaps, you thought you'd be reading about Amare Stoudemire every night. And you probably thought you'd be reading about a New York Knicks team struggling through its first 10 games, trying to establish an identity with so many new faces.

The unheralded Toney Douglas has had two outstanding games in a row for the Knicks.
Well, that ain't quite the case.

The Knicks are good enough to be over .500 (3-2), they're deep enough that we could give you chapter and verse about how important Stoudemire's supporting cast was... -ESPN

After a limited sample which includes the summer league, pre-season, and five regular season games there's one definite truth when it comes to the 2010 Knicks...

this ain't yo mammas Knicks.

Well actually this new Knick team is a lot like competitive teams from the past, and that's due to defense. Yes I said it, the Knicks play defense! But there's more...

The 2010 Knicks play team oriented ball, with perpetual (Clyde) motion, and tenacious defense. And with the doubters using short-sighted views, no one realized how deep the Knicks are thanks to Donnie Walsh.

I for one am tired of mentioning what we recently had (and subsequently lost), as the comparisons and speculations of David Lee's departure and impact are fresh on some minds, but how can you not compare what we witnessed in the recent past to now, thats called comparative analysis.

This team is deep with complimentary players, and are doing it with one star, Amare, ala during the Patrick Ewing era. (Oops I mentioned the past)

Some would argue this recent competitive streak is just an aberration and the sample size is too small. Others say Danillo Gallinari is the key, as his lack of athleticism is over shadowed by his outside shooting prowess. When we look at the numbers, as you may have guessed, it goes deeper, and some stats don't reflect what's happening. Leadership and accountability.

The Knicks had 11 blocked shots, reaching double-figures for the second time in five games after doing it only once all of last season.
Want more?

Compared to the Eastern conference...

The Knicks are #1 in points per game, 4th in rebounding, 1st in blocks per game, and 3rd in steals per game.

Raymond Felton is top five in assists per game. Chandler, STAT, and Turiaf rank 5-7 in blocked shots.

When we began the Walsh and D'Antoni era we all filled out our wish lists, based on what we thought we needed and wanted to see. Things like defense, big men, depth, superstars, point guards, just being competitive, were all mentioned. And now look...

The Knicks have:
1. Quality leadership in Walsh
2. A Playoff experienced Head Coach, who can handle the NY Media
3. Cap Room
4. Size at every position
5. Depth
6. Athleticism
7. Rebounders
8. Defenders
9. All-Stars
10. Budding Rookies

These wish list items are no longer coveted as before. Now comes the next step. Cohesion, resiliency to bounce back off of loses and negative perceptions based on the past, and consistency is what will make the Knicks a formidable foe.

Our offense and personnel allows us to be versatile and beat teams in multiple ways... we can take what the defense gives us.

Our depth and complimentary players allow hot hands to shoot and save energy and stamina.

Our defense changes games.

And I bet you're feeling like, wait it's too early, this is just a reaction thread...

It's never too early to form an opinion, whether it's valid or not is a different story, but think about it..

When we've effectively become experts over the last 8 years at what not to do, at what looks bad, inconsistent, and wrong...

it's easy to see and feel what's right. After years, our opinions are valid.

This is all we've been asking for. Not deep playoff runs, not the best player in the game, overall just be competitive, and represent.

So far these dudes have done that. Your thoughts.

Red

TYPE-A
More nice quotes...

The Knicks are forming an identity -- a winning, gritty identity -- and it's more Douglas than Amar'e Stoudemire.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...ht_tears_Xydw0gkj2AXQxrXiYJGaXO#ixzz14VYIlBnw

The Knicks don't have those problems. They're sharing the ball, defending and making the game look easy.

"It's fun to work with these guys because of what they want to get done and how they are going about it," D'Antoni said. "We will have some rough spots but as long as they keep their competitive edge we will be okay."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._double_digits_in_a_11291_.html#ixzz14VZR8XHH

Kiyaman

Legend
The Steal of the 2009 Draft class Mr. Toney Douglas

Well, all praise for the Knicks last two WINS go to the Knicks MVP of both games
Mr. Toney Douglas (The big steal out of the 2009 draft class).
As a fluent poster I mention Douglas/Felton several times in this forum.
By drafting a talented defensive PG-Douglas we dont have to make the
same 5 year mistake the Bobcats made with Felton by giving Felton 35 mpg
all season. We have to let Mr. Toney Douglas lead the point for 18 to 26 mpg
this season to give us a winning chance.

The Knicks team (finally using a 2-unit roster, after 6 seasons) using a
mean 9+ Man Rotation has earned big props for both wins vs Bulls & Wizards.
Props also goes to the infestest in the Garden to postpone Big D.Howard
attack in MSG where a "conspiracy" feud is brewing between Orlando Coach
Ewing/SVG vs Dantoni/Walsh (to be continue at a later date). LOL

Felton is playing well in the backcourt with the defensive/offensive punch
of having the Knicks double steal players out of the 2009 and 2010 draft
class with him in the backcourt.
Our 2nd season combo-guard Toney Douglas, plus high IQ athleticism rookie
G/F-Landry Fields has given this Knick team a great inspiration in the
backcourt with PG-Felton. These three Knick guards Felton/Fields/Douglas
in all 5 games are looking good at getting this Knick team off to a decent
start of the season. The team meshing into a decent chemistry will come
game after game this season using these 3 guards in the backcourt for 28 mpg.

Wilson Chandler off the bench has been a consistent boost of energy in
all 5 games this season. It does not matter if Chandler start or come off
the bench as long as Chandler is playing the foward position.
Gallo has found his range in the last two games and has been an efficient
offensive threat inside as well as outside of the paint.
Randolph is still trying to find his way into the rotation, but as long as he
keep thinking outside of the paint Randolph will be useless in this rotation.
Randolph should take his mind off shooting 3-balls untill the 2011 offseason.
All 3 fowards have to start meshing together after practice to form a better
rebounding system for the team.

Amare is finding others ways to win games without him being our leading
scorer which is the best thing for this team. His 6 turnovers per game has
stopped after the 4th game this season. We could live with the 2 turnovers
he gave in the 5th game of the season.
Turiaf knows what he can and cant do to help this team win. He knows he
is not a double-double bigman so he does alot of other things to help his
teammates which is a good thing for the team.
Mozgov was an expensive investment for his first two seasons in the NBA,
but as soon as Mozgov get comfortable in the NBA, u will want him on your team.

All 9 players I mentioned above need to stay in our 9+Man Rotation getting
double-digets of playingtime this season to give us a winning chance of
brewing team chemistry. We have not been looking good in the rebounding
department, or when we have a 3 on 2 fastbreak, or scoring on our oponents
turnovers. I see us improving on these weaknesses as long as we keep our
9+Man rotation.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Red's Post

Terrific post!! Last night's game was special. Everyone contributed. A truly balanced effort.

Well, all praise for the Knicks last two WINS go to the Knicks MVP of both games
Mr. Toney Douglas (The big steal out of the 2009 draft class).
As a fluent poster I mention Douglas/Felton several times in this forum.
By drafting a talented defensive PG-Douglas we dont have to make the
same 5 year mistake the Bobcats made with Felton by giving Felton 35 mpg
all season. We have to let Mr. Toney Douglas lead the point for 18 to 26 mpg
this season to give us a winning chance.

The Knicks team (finally using a 2-unit roster, after 6 seasons) using a
mean 9+ Man Rotation has earned big props for both wins vs Bulls & Wizards.
Props also goes to the infestest in the Garden to postpone Big D.Howard
attack in MSG where a "conspiracy" feud is brewing between Orlando Coach
Ewing/SVG vs Dantoni/Walsh (to be continue at a later date). LOL

Felton is playing well in the backcourt with the defensive/offensive punch
of having the Knicks double steal players out of the 2009 and 2010 draft
class with him in the backcourt.
Our 2nd season combo-guard Toney Douglas, plus high IQ athleticism rookie
G/F-Landry Fields has given this Knick team a great inspiration in the
backcourt with PG-Felton. These three Knick guards Felton/Fields/Douglas
in all 5 games are looking good at getting this Knick team off to a decent
start of the season. The team meshing into a decent chemistry will come
game after game this season using these 3 guards in the backcourt for 28 mpg.

Wilson Chandler off the bench has been a consistent boost of energy in
all 5 games this season. It does not matter if Chandler start or come off
the bench as long as Chandler is playing the foward position.
Gallo has found his range in the last two games and has been an efficient
offensive threat inside as well as outside of the paint.
Randolph is still trying to find his way into the rotation, but as long as he
keep thinking outside of the paint Randolph will be useless in this rotation.
Randolph should take his mind off shooting 3-balls untill the 2011 offseason.
All 3 fowards have to start meshing together after practice to form a better
rebounding system for the team.

Amare is finding others ways to win games without him being our leading
scorer which is the best thing for this team. His 6 turnovers per game has
stopped after the 4th game this season. We could live with the 2 turnovers
he gave in the 5th game of the season.
Turiaf knows what he can and cant do to help this team win. He knows he
is not a double-double bigman so he does alot of other things to help his
teammates which is a good thing for the team.
Mozgov was an expensive investment for his first two seasons in the NBA,
but as soon as Mozgov get comfortable in the NBA, u will want him on your team.

All 9 players I mentioned above need to stay in our 9+Man Rotation getting
double-digets of playingtime this season to give us a winning chance of
brewing team chemistry. We have not been looking good in the rebounding
department, or when we have a 3 on 2 fastbreak, or scoring on our oponents
turnovers. I see us improving on these weaknesses as long as we keep our
9+Man rotation.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:
This is probley the only time im going to say this......

Kiyaman...I agree with you 150%.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks played well last night, but I'm not buying this mini-win streak.

The Knicks have had these kind of mini runs in each of their last 6 seasons, and they failed to make the playoffs in all those seasons.

In 2004-2005, the Knicks were 3rd place in the East, until mid-December. They finished 33-49.

In 2005-2006, the Knicks won 6 games in a row, at one point. They finished 23-59.

In 2006-2007, the Knicks were 29-34, with the 8th spot in the east. They finished 33-49.

In the 2007-2008 season, the Knicks started 2-1. They finished the year
23-59.

In the 2008-2009 season (D'Anphony era), the Knicks started off 6-3. They finished the year 29-53.

In the 2009-2010 season, the Knicks had a few 3 game winning streaks. They finished 32-50.

Will this team finally get to the playoffs? I don't think so.

With that being said, the Knicks have played better defense. But they rely too much on the 3 point shot. They need people who can score inside, and because they lack a low post presence, I still don't see them making the playoffs.

But I like what I see, so far.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Props Red! Great thread and I agree with it 100%. Any thread that can get Kiya back to reality is something special!

Red

TYPE-A
The Knicks played well last night, but I'm not buying this mini-win streak.

The Knicks have had these kind of mini runs in each of their last 6 seasons, and they failed to make the playoffs in all those seasons.

In 2004-2005, the Knicks were 3rd place in the East, until mid-December. They finished 33-49.

In 2005-2006, the Knicks won 6 games in a row, at one point. They finished 23-59.

In 2006-2007, the Knicks were 29-34, with the 8th spot in the east. They finished 33-49.

In the 2007-2008 season, the Knicks started 2-1. They finished the year
23-59.

In the 2008-2009 season (D'Anphony era), the Knicks started off 6-3. They finished the year 29-53.

In the 2009-2010 season, the Knicks had a few 3 game winning streaks. They finished 32-50.

Will this team finally get to the playoffs? I don't think so.

With that being said, the Knicks have played better defense. But they rely too much on the 3 point shot. They need people who can score inside, and because they lack a low post presence, I still don't see them making the playoffs.

But I like what I see, so far.

but can you admit...

1. so far we've been 10x's more competitive than recent pasts

2. b/t Amare, Mean Muggin T Dougin, Turiaf, and Chandler, those dudes look more hungry and have more drive than half the players on those old teams

3. we ain't play D and block shots like this since the Ewing era

I'm not predicting playoffs @ this juncture, I know better than that. But what I can claim with certainty is when and if we play at our BEST (which is yet to happen and rare)

we can beat or at least compete with ANY team in the league right now. I just feel it. I see it in them, no more free ride players. Hustlers being held accountable, not blaming the coach or situation.

No more thinking about who's going to be here, and contracts and shit...

Amare, Mean Muggin", Felt, Chandler, Turiaf, and Gallo & Co. mean business.

Can you agree with that? F*ck the playoffs, they look like they coming to play.

KBlack25

Starter
I agree with the sentiment, to not let 3-2 and early success get to our heads but the fact of the matter is this:

Of the games we have played I would consider 3/5 teams to be in the top half of their respective conferences (Boston, Chicago, Portland). We have been in every game we have played. We have looked like we could beat any team on any given night, and ultimately this game comes down to whether or not we can win in a 7 game series. The way they have played against teams that will be in the playoffs makes me hopeful that we can do just that.

Much of our early success was stymied, at least recently, by our need to dump salary and showcase various players for trade purposes to achieve cap flexibility. That is no longer a concern.

And perhaps, most importantly, for the first time in a while we are buyers, not sellers, at the trade deadline. We will be looking to improve, not dismantle, our team for the first time in two-plus years.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
sick thread, i agree this team is coming to together much quicker then we thought. I mean you could see that this group of guys are going to play tough every night, they were hanging out at yankee games together, going to liberty games, etc. they were building that off court chemistry and when you have that the on court chemistry comes faster. you see players wanting to help one another instead of playing for themselves communicate on defense ( which leads to stops and turnovers ) the team just came together as one and once all players are playing on their game and we have our full lineup back this could be a sleeper team in the east

p0nder

Starter
The thing i'm seeing that gives me the most hope is the intensity. i mean these players are hitting the deck for loose balls, getting juiced after big dunks, making huge blocks, picking off the weakshit passes and getting after everything.

And they seem to be having fun and don't mind sharing the ball around. they have bought into the team concept and it's paying off. big time.

Red

TYPE-A
Props Red! Great thread and I agree with it 100%. Any thread that can get Kiya back to reality is something special!
I know u peeped that. I guess Gallo is back. Yo Kiya we can't have everything, let's be happy to compete.

5 star thread!

sick thread, i agree this team is coming to together much quicker then we thought. I mean you could see that this group of guys are going to play tough every night, they were hanging out at yankee games together, going to liberty games, etc. they were building that off court chemistry and when you have that the on court chemistry comes faster. you see players wanting to help one another instead of playing for themselves communicate on defense ( which leads to stops and turnovers ) the team just came together as one and once all players are playing on their game and we have our full lineup back this could be a sleeper team in the east

Good looks.

Now I'm anticipating what's going to happen with success (no matter how limited it may be).

It's inevitable especially in NY to have the expectations raised when the team shows signs of talent and competitiveness. Some games we won't be underdogs which was the case against the Wiz.

We need to get consistent, learn how to win and lose and how to handle over-inflated expectations. They have to remain even keeled and not let shit go to our heads plus stay hungry and determined. Thats on Coach.

Oh and did anyone see Chandlers dunk? And did anyone notice how dominate we looked at the start of that Boston game? If you forgot, go back and peep it... we was beastin'!

It's fantastic to see this team come together, Loving the play of Felton, Toney, Galla to name a few and Amare's leadership. After the past years of pain, I'm loving this team everything about it of course there's room for improvement but I'm enjoying the moment.

mafra

Legend
The Knicks beat TOR and WASH. These were 2 games they had to win. Winning the games you're supposed to is a good sign. They also took a game in CHI, that was unexpected. NOw let's see them finally beat Philly.

A 4-2 start is about as good as anyone could have anticipated.

Win the games against inferior squads, steal a few on the road, and play .500 ball against the top teams will get you close to 50 wins.

Douglas and Turiaf give this team guts and grits. Landry is a treat. As long as Felton-Stat-Chandler-Gallo play up to expectations... We have a good team.

Getting a healthy Azu will be like a trade come mid-season.

Credit to Walker for playing some huge minutes.

Looks good so far.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
I have been saying that this team was good and the kind of performances we are seeing just validates that. We didn't get blown out to two very good teams in Boston and Portland and also beat Chicago at their arena which is saying alot. Also we beat the wizards after playing a big game the night before. Couldn't be more pleased with the start to the season.

Also seems like Gallo is starting to find his stroke and the PG's on the team have been stellar. This team is still finding its identity and the person that I have been most impressed with or persons have been Turief and Fields. They have added hustle and energy to our ranks as well as some boarding and defensive presence. I think we will just get better as the season progresses barring any serious injuries.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
The Knicks beat TOR and WASH. These were 2 games they had to win. Winning the games you're supposed to is a good sign. They also took a game in CHI, that was unexpected. NOw let's see them finally beat Philly.

A 4-2 start is about as good as anyone could have anticipated.

Win the games against inferior squads, steal a few on the road, and play .500 ball against the top teams will get you close to 50 wins.

Douglas and Turiaf give this team guts and grits. Landry is a treat. As long as Felton-Stat-Chandler-Gallo play up to expectations... We have a good team.

Getting a healthy Azu will be like a trade come mid-season.

Credit to Walker for playing some huge minutes.

Looks good so far.

Nice post.