Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Genius?

Hybrid View

Default Offensive Genius?

I demand, as a loyal fan, to see D'Antoni's play book.

I'm sick of hearing about his offensive Wizardry. The monotony of this team's rancid offensive sets is disgusting.

Play after play of repetitive, predictable, non-creative, lane clogging, space vacuuming ****!

○On more than a dozen consecutive offensive sets, Amar'e and Chandler, Gallinari or Fields stand stagnant at the opposite elbows of the key, STAT on the left, one of 3 players on the right.

What the **** is that play called? Because it RARELY results in movement, spacing, cutting or running off screens. There were 2 instances when it was successful tonight, but the play relies on STAT being the playmaker! WTMFF!?

○Re Amar'e:

Is the fact that he was 2009/2010's most prolific paint scorer not getting through to D'Antoni? Has he been misinformed? Is he defiant to play STAT as Gentry did? How hard can it honestly be to play a post offense based around an interior threat? Who, of NY's players wouldn't benefit from that?

A 3 man game between, for example, Fields Gallo and STAT would surely have success. Fields passing/cutting, Gallo triple threating and STAT posting!? No? Maybe? What?

However........

STAT is NEVER posted up in the low block.

Never run off a mismatch.

Never hit with the ball in transition with good positioning in the paint.

Never passed to on the P&R.

Never found on a penetrate and dish.

Am I the only person who's seen this?

How f'ing difficult is it to get creative with your offense when:
    -You have an interior beast?
    -A legitimate threat under the basket?
    -An athletic phenomenon?

Is this silver 'stached penis so married to his offensive poop that he can't adjust?

Somebody ****ing shoot me.

Originally Posted by Crazy8s

I'm sick of hearing about his offensive Wizardry. The monotony of this team's rancid offensive sets is disgusting.

Play after play of repetitive, predictable, non-creative, lane clogging, space vacuuming ****!

○On more than a dozen consecutive offensive sets, Amar'e and Chandler, Gallinari or Fields stand stagnant at the opposite elbows of the key, STAT on the left, one of 3 players on the right.

What the **** is that play called? Because it RARELY results in movement, spacing, cutting or running off screens. There were 2 instances when it was successful tonight, but the play relies on STAT being the playmaker! WTMFF!?

○Re Amar'e:

Is the fact that he was 2009/2010's most prolific paint scorer not getting through to D'Antoni? Has he been misinformed? Is he defiant to play STAT as Gentry did? How hard can it honestly be to play a post offense based around an interior threat? Who, of NY's players wouldn't benefit from that?

A 3 man game between, for example, Fields Gallo and STAT would surely have success. Fields passing/cutting, Gallo triple threating and STAT posting!? No? Maybe? What?

However........

-An athletic phenomenon?

Is this silver 'stached penis so married to his offensive poop that he can't adjust?

5 star thread you are right on ive been saying this and i feel blue in the face....we are such a repetitive team...mike D must have 3 plays that he runs over and over again....Amare high post, Felton drive and kick out to somebody who always bricks, and the failure of a pick and roll where Amare picks and rolls but Felton doesn't even look for him.

Felton is failing as a pick and roll PG....i cant believe I am saying this but Duhon could have helped Amare more because he learned the pick and roll faster than Felton.

Felton and Douglas are combo guards who are basically SG in a PG body.

Chandler is a total jock who never passes the ball.

Gallo is driving more which I like but since his shot is not lethal anymore, he is not as lethal which means he is not a starter.

Fields is the only bright spot on this dark season.

Walker and Rautins, our outside shooters, are not playing but Mike D continues to let Chandler shoot bricks from outside when he is a slashing forward.

Mike D has no clue what he is doing and he still forces his offenive Suns style offense on this team with players that just dont fit it. Felton is not Nash and we dont have perimeter shooters that can create their own shot.

We have to slash constantly, draw fouls, use the pick and roll and actually pass to Amare and only shoot outside if a team uses the zone defense.

I am 19 years old and I think I have more NBA knowledge than our retarded coach.

Veteran

I'm so glad people are paying more attention to this guys coaching. If we all honestly did this..he would be out of here on the first thing smoking...

Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. And if I remember correctly, I was considered a mad man for it.

I'm sure we can agree that you don't hate to say so.

I'm more than sure that a lot of people thought, given the chance, that MD would show what he was widely considered capable of with an improved roster.

Now we're stuck between him, The **** and a hard place. Another arduous year of barracking for the NYK. I feel like a zoo animal that has come to terms with its cage.

Veteran

I feel like a zoo animal that has come to terms with its cage.
    Good god. Too. ****ing. True.

Now we're stuck between him, The **** and a hard place. Another arduous year of barracking for the NYK. I feel like a zoo animal that has come to terms with its cage.
    +1for the truth...

○Re Amar'e:

However........

-An athletic phenomenon?

I hear you loud and clear, but listening to some on this board STAT is a post player. Its laughable. His shooting % is down 10% yet he wasnt posting and toasting last year.

Its time for a change... sorry, had to say it.

Originally Posted by Giants89FLY
    Its time for a change... sorry, had to say it.
    I thought coaches were supposed to have a plan, if not working have a backup plan, make adjustments during the game, etc.

D'antoni is like a spectator, he sits, watches, hangs his head, yells lets go, etc. That's what a fan in the stands does.

Walsh must know his coach is a fake. Would JVG or Mark Jackson sit and watch and do nothing different, just let the game drift away?

Default Game Plan 9 From Outer Space

the Mike 'Antoni game plan is to allow players to go out there and do what they do best.
    Case in point: Allstar Steve Nash.

all Knicks need to do is wait for Nash (or CP30) to arrive, after we wait for Melo to arrive. as soon as Knicks get their own Big 3, we will be in the hunt for that elusive 8th playoff spot. that's the best we can hope for with the SSOL - defense comes second in the 'Antoni book of winning games, without great players coming together, this team ain't sheeeeit.

Oh wait... Mike 'Antoni is a great coach... of superstars!

we suck you know.

Veteran

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    as soon as Knicks get their own Big 3, we will be in the hunt for that elusive 8th playoff spot.

Just as soon we can assemble STAT, Melo, and CP3 on the this roster, along with The Rooster, we can claw our way to hopefully having Mike get us into the hunt for that elusive 8th seed in the playoffs.

But ya, anyone else smell us trading a few random 1st rounders away to get Channing Frye back? A sweet shooting, long range bigman to really round out the Big 3 and get us into that hunt for good.

○Re Amar'e:

However........

-An athletic phenomenon?

crazy you are a creative and spontaneous dude it seems, but i think you're misguided at times.. although you mean well.

this offense we run is proven dude.

yes it needs a PG to run it right. while felton has been ok i do not see him having the kind of grasp and assertiveness that it needs to run properly as of yet.

this offense needs a serious, dynamic floor general. cp3 comes to mind. signing or trading for him should be top priority.

secondly as i've stated before, stat is not a back-to-the-basket player.

he's a face-up PF.

therefore there's no need to belabor the point about him not getting the ball in the post. stop w that..

on mike d'antoni, he's a good coach. he's not bad and definitely not great, just good.

and he's without a doubt one of the better offensive minds out there.

each of your nevers w relation to stat have happened atleast once or twice. never and always are rarely accurate in most situations.

but it would be easier to get him the ball in those instances consistently if we had better shooting. right now opposing teams defenses can just collaspe in the paint , hence the lack of stat love you and the rest of us knick fans need.

lastly, it seems you have placed yourself in the camp of reactionary, impatient, emo fans that have been spewing venoms all over these boards during this losing streak the team's been on.

it's so obvious to me that it will take time..

young teams have to take their lumps. period. you can't hop-step the valleys and peaks along the way to becoming a consistently good team. it also takes time (unavoidable time) to develop chemistry.

where are all of the basketball heads on these boards that should kno this??

this is elementary stuff y'all.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Nov 15, 2010 at 20:25.

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    crazy you are a creative and spontaneous dude it seems, but i think you're misguided at times.. although you mean well.

this offense we run is proven dude.

yes it needs a PG to run it right. i do not see felton having the kind of grasp and assertiveness that it needs to run properly as of yet.

this offense needs a serious floor general. cp3 comes to mind. signing or trading for him should be top priority.

he's a face-up PF.

therefore there's no need to belabor the point about him not getting the ball in the post. stop w that..

mike d'antoni is a good coach. he's not bad and definitely not great, just solid.

and he's without a doubt one of the better offensive minds out there.

each of you nevers have happened atleast once or twice. never and always are rarely accurate in most situations.

but it would be easier to get him the ball in those situations consistently if we had better shooting. right now opposing teams defenses can just collaspe in the paint , hence the lack of stat love you and the rest of us knick fans need.

it seems you have unfortunately placed yourself in the camp of reactionary, impatient, emo fans that have been spewing venoms all over these boards during this losing streak the team's been on.

it's so obvious to me that it will take time..

young teams have to take their lumps. period. you can't hop-step the valleys and peaks along the way to becoming a consistently good team. it also takes time (unavoidable time) to develop chemistry.

where are all of the basketball heads on these boards that should kno this??

this is elementary stuff y'all.
    Fair, fair, fair.

I don't disagree that early days are early days, and that cohesion isn't a just add water substance, but as opposed to yourself I've commented ,via observation, on specific plays and/or lack there of.

Care to do the same?

If the offense is proven, enlighten me, via observation, on a specific play or set in either half court or transition that solidifies this offense as one that is proven. I've seen less confusion in sets from our supposedly weaker opponents.

Isn't this an insult to STAT? I can't possibly believe that posting him on the block for a baby hook or fading J in the key is beyond his measure. If anything, that's just small minded rudeness.

Categorising Amar'e as incapable of a back to the basket game is a poor defence in any argument. Dwight Howard has a baby hook and is half as capable as STAT offensively. Say no more.

So that's Amar'e covered.

this offense needs a serious floor general. cp3 comes to mind. signing or trading for him should be top priority.
    Not only is that not a realistic option, but if the offense relies so heavily on one component, then it is flawed.

it seems you have unfortunately placed yourself in the camp of reactionary, impatient, emo fans that have been spewing venoms all over these boards during this losing streak the team's been on.
    Now, I'm debating whether or not you've watched any games. Or at least whether you've popped out for a stroll in the second half of each game.

If you go back over our posts and compare them, mine was about basketball in the form of set plays and observations regarding the offense. Yours is about defending a coach. You've said nothing with any regard to the basketball you've watched. No comments on designed plays etc. NOTHING.

Answer me this one question when you reply. If you please.

In our wins against Chicago and Washington, what were the keys to victory? If you watched the games, you'll know.

Nyk Logo stop it crazy 8's...

Fair, fair, fair.

I don't disagree that early days are early days, and that cohesion isn't a just add water substance, but as opposed to yourself I've commented ,via observation, on specific plays and/or lack there of.

Care to do the same?

If the offense is proven, enlighten me, via observation, on a specific play or set in either half court or transition that solidifies this offense as one that is proven. I've seen less confusion in sets from our supposedly weaker opponents.

Isn't this an insult to STAT? I can't possibly believe that posting him on the block for a baby hook or fading J in the key is beyond his measure. If anything, that's just small minded rudeness.

Categorising Amar'e as incapable of a back to the basket game is a poor defence in any argument. Dwight Howard has a baby hook and is half as capable as STAT offensively. Say no more.

So that's Amar'e covered.

Not only is that not a realistic option, but if the offense relies so heavily on one component, then it is flawed.

Now, I'm debating whether or not you've watched any games. Or at least whether you've popped out for a stroll in the second half of each game.

If you go back over our posts and compare them, mine was about basketball in the form of set plays and observations regarding the offense. Yours is about defending a coach. You've said nothing with any regard to the basketball you've watched. No comments on designed plays etc. NOTHING.

Answer me this one question when you reply. If you please.

In our wins against Chicago and Washington, what were the keys to victory? If you watched the games, you'll know.
    ahhh finally a nice meaty topic to argue. the gloves are off..

listen, when i say the offense is proven what i'm referring to is those years in phoenix when him and nash had it running on all cylinders for 5 or 6 seasons. when he had players that could shoot consistently and a point guard that could pass and run the pick and roll uber effectively.

right now felton can't run the pick and roll right for two possible reasons:

either he just doesn't have the aptitude to make the decisions inherent to solid pick and roll play, ie the ability to read amare's roll off the pick properly.

...or the wing players we have don't allow amare to get open enough for felton to get a good look off the pick cause opposing defenders are helping off of perimeter shooters; see the inconsistency of gallo, inexperience of fields and the utter brick launcher that is chandler from 3 as prove positive for this part of the ineptitude of our staple play.

either way, right now the p & r is useless w felton at the helm. if it's primarily the first reason, then all we have to do is wait for the chemistry to develop between felt and stat. i suspect it's a little of both. if i'm wrong and it's the second, then our perimeter guys need to turn into knock-down shooters w the quickness or the p & r is facked!

on the other areas of suckiness w regards to our O, i just don't think these guys grasp well enough how to run it. i was watching phoenix play the lakers last night after the knick game (yes i watched the whole game, lol), and those players on phoenix run that shat crisp bro. not just nash either. they all know what they're doing in that O. THEY ACTUALLY DO THE SHAT YOU HERE MIKE D PREACHING OVER & OVER IN THE POST-GAME INTERVIEWS. they move the ball. when they have a shot they take it. they don't hesitate!! and they have guys that are knockdown shooters who hit consistently! they actually get the ball up quickly like WE should, granted nash has alot to do w that. but i've seen too many times where we take forever just to get the inbounds pass in to felt. ridiculous. this offense is designed to run a certain way and our team just doesn't do it right yet!!

now is that soley because of our coach? the system?? felton?? our lack of consistently dangerous shooters?? amare?? the newness of the team? who the fack knows.. none of us really knows, however i suspect it's not just anyone thing.

based on mike D's history i'm hesitant to point the finger at him soley and say "that's it! that's the problem".. it's just not that simple. developing a good team is like baking a cake. if some, or even one of the ingredients is missing you get a nasty ass-tasting cake. right now our team is type nasty and it's because of alot of things.. to point at our coach and say he is the one reason that the team is sinking based on his history is shortsighted imo.

what i do know is that coach basicly brought this O and nash into prominence.. has he lost it suddenly?? is it the system?? it was all nash right? the answers are complicated and elusive to pinpoint. i'm not gonna claim i have them.

the fundamental thing i want to get across here is my philosophy on the impact having good players has. right now we have stat and a bunch of role-players that have no battle-tested chemistry together to speak of. this is not enough obviously to even overcome really bad teams right now. time is the answer. as much as you and so many others here don't want to hear it, it's about getting time on the court together. it's also about guys like chandler and gallo getting better as players and more and more competent players in this system. the better and more effective our players get within the ssol the better we will be w time.

ofcourse, having more really, really good players obviously would take the edge off of the transition, as we're seeing w Miami, but all we have is stat right now. actually, miami makes all sorts of mistakes and is having it's own share of problems, but it's not "bad news bears" over there by any stretch because they have three extremely dynamic players that eliminate alot of mistakes even tho the team as a collective isn't completely familiar w spoltra's (or riley's depending how you look at it) system and lacks chemistry. it's about players ~~ always was always will be. i spanked red in this debate a couple of weeks back. why do you think donnie's trying to get steve nash over here.

one last thing, good coaching is not about what you do when your under-gunned, which we still are at this point. that's a common misconception around these boards. good coaching shows and is about having what you need to win and then making the moves necessary in training camp, walk-throughs, film sessions, and during in-game management to get your team to the best possible result. any coach who wins in the nba has had the players to do so. you can't have a good coach and no or not enough good players. when mike d has had the talent he's shown he can win consistently, just liek any other coach. and just like any other coach who's good and hasn't the players he's shown he can lose consistently. this ain't rocket science guys. players ==== wins, not coaches. pls get off mike d..

we suck primarily because we don't have the cohesion yet to overcome our lack of talent.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Nov 15, 2010 at 22:45.