Offensive Genius?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
ronoraninainainaina

secondly as i've stated before, stat is not a back-to-the-basket player.

he's a face-up PF.

Are we, is MD, setting that limitation? Or is STAT not capable?

I remember I'd watched this video ,at some stage, with a low post instructional by, sadly, Carlos Boozer.

Please, give it a peek and then tell me whether or not STAT's capabilities don't include the fundamentals required to play as a post up scorer.

Pay particular attention to the in game highlights. If it works for Boozer, it works for Amar'e. If it works for Sloane, why doesn't it for D'Antoni?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
stop it crazy 8's...

Fair, fair, fair.

I don't disagree that early days are early days, and that cohesion isn't a just add water substance, but as opposed to yourself I've commented ,via observation, on specific plays and/or lack there of.

Care to do the same?

If the offense is proven, enlighten me, via observation, on a specific play or set in either half court or transition that solidifies this offense as one that is proven. I've seen less confusion in sets from our supposedly weaker opponents.

Isn't this an insult to STAT? I can't possibly believe that posting him on the block for a baby hook or fading J in the key is beyond his measure. If anything, that's just small minded rudeness.

Categorising Amar'e as incapable of a back to the basket game is a poor defence in any argument. Dwight Howard has a baby hook and is half as capable as STAT offensively. Say no more.

So that's Amar'e covered.

Not only is that not a realistic option, but if the offense relies so heavily on one component, then it is flawed.

Now, I'm debating whether or not you've watched any games. Or at least whether you've popped out for a stroll in the second half of each game.

If you go back over our posts and compare them, mine was about basketball in the form of set plays and observations regarding the offense. Yours is about defending a coach. You've said nothing with any regard to the basketball you've watched. No comments on designed plays etc. NOTHING.

Answer me this one question when you reply. If you please.

In our wins against Chicago and Washington, what were the keys to victory? If you watched the games, you'll know.

ahhh finally a nice meaty topic to argue. the gloves are off..

listen, when i say the offense is proven what i'm referring to is those years in phoenix when him and nash had it running on all cylinders for 5 or 6 seasons. when he had players that could shoot consistently and a point guard that could pass and run the pick and roll uber effectively.

right now felton can't run the pick and roll right for two possible reasons:

either he just doesn't have the aptitude to make the decisions inherent to solid pick and roll play, ie the ability to read amare's roll off the pick properly.

...or the wing players we have don't allow amare to get open enough for felton to get a good look off the pick cause opposing defenders are helping off of perimeter shooters; see the inconsistency of gallo, inexperience of fields and the utter brick launcher that is chandler from 3 as prove positive for this part of the ineptitude of our staple play.

either way, right now the p & r is useless w felton at the helm. if it's primarily the first reason, then all we have to do is wait for the chemistry to develop between felt and stat. i suspect it's a little of both. if i'm wrong and it's the second, then our perimeter guys need to turn into knock-down shooters w the quickness or the p & r is facked!

on the other areas of suckiness w regards to our O, i just don't think these guys grasp well enough how to run it. i was watching phoenix play the lakers last night after the knick game (yes i watched the whole game, lol), and those players on phoenix run that shat crisp bro. not just nash either. they all know what they're doing in that O. THEY ACTUALLY DO THE SHAT YOU HERE MIKE D PREACHING OVER & OVER IN THE POST-GAME INTERVIEWS. they move the ball. when they have a shot they take it. they don't hesitate!! and they have guys that are knockdown shooters who hit consistently! they actually get the ball up quickly like WE should, granted nash has alot to do w that. but i've seen too many times where we take forever just to get the inbounds pass in to felt. ridiculous. this offense is designed to run a certain way and our team just doesn't do it right yet!!

now is that soley because of our coach? the system?? felton?? our lack of consistently dangerous shooters?? amare?? the newness of the team? who the fack knows.. none of us really knows, however i suspect it's not just anyone thing.

based on mike D's history i'm hesitant to point the finger at him soley and say "that's it! that's the problem".. it's just not that simple. developing a good team is like baking a cake. if some, or even one of the ingredients is missing you get a nasty ass-tasting cake. right now our team is :barf: type nasty and it's because of alot of things.. to point at our coach and say he is the one reason that the team is sinking based on his history is shortsighted imo.

what i do know is that coach basicly brought this O and nash into prominence.. has he lost it suddenly?? is it the system?? it was all nash right? the answers are complicated and elusive to pinpoint. i'm not gonna claim i have them.

the fundamental thing i want to get across here is my philosophy on the impact having good players has. right now we have stat and a bunch of role-players that have no battle-tested chemistry together to speak of. this is not enough obviously to even overcome really bad teams right now. time is the answer. as much as you and so many others here don't want to hear it, it's about getting time on the court together. it's also about guys like chandler and gallo getting better as players and more and more competent players in this system. the better and more effective our players get within the ssol the better we will be w time.

ofcourse, having more really, really good players obviously would take the edge off of the transition, as we're seeing w Miami, but all we have is stat right now. actually, miami makes all sorts of mistakes and is having it's own share of problems, but it's not "bad news bears" over there by any stretch because they have three extremely dynamic players that eliminate alot of mistakes even tho the team as a collective isn't completely familiar w spoltra's (or riley's depending how you look at it) system and lacks chemistry. it's about players ~~ always was always will be. i spanked red in this debate a couple of weeks back. why do you think donnie's trying to get steve nash over here.

one last thing, good coaching is not about what you do when your under-gunned, which we still are at this point. that's a common misconception around these boards. good coaching shows and is about having what you need to win and then making the moves necessary in training camp, walk-throughs, film sessions, and during in-game management to get your team to the best possible result. any coach who wins in the nba has had the players to do so. you can't have a good coach and no or not enough good players. when mike d has had the talent he's shown he can win consistently, just liek any other coach. and just like any other coach who's good and hasn't the players he's shown he can lose consistently. this ain't rocket science guys. players ==== wins, not coaches. pls get off mike d..

we suck primarily because we don't have the cohesion yet to overcome our lack of talent. :cool:

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Fair, fair, fair.

I don't disagree that early days are early days, and that cohesion isn't a just add water substance, but as opposed to yourself I've commented ,via observation, on specific plays and/or lack there of.

Care to do the same?

If the offense is proven, enlighten me, via observation, on a specific play or set in either half court or transition that solidifies this offense as one that is proven. I've seen less confusion in sets from our supposedly weaker opponents.

Isn't this an insult to STAT? I can't possibly believe that posting him on the block for a baby hook or fading J in the key is beyond his measure. If anything, that's just small minded rudeness.

Categorising Amar'e as incapable of a back to the basket game is a poor defence in any argument. Dwight Howard has a baby hook and is half as capable as STAT offensively. Say no more.

So that's Amar'e covered.

Not only is that not a realistic option, but if the offense relies so heavily on one component, then it is flawed.

Now, I'm debating whether or not you've watched any games. Or at least whether you've popped out for a stroll in the second half of each game.

If you go back over our posts and compare them, mine was about basketball in the form of set plays and observations regarding the offense. Yours is about defending a coach. You've said nothing with any regard to the basketball you've watched. No comments on designed plays etc. NOTHING.

Answer me this one question when you reply. If you please.

In our wins against Chicago and Washington, what were the keys to victory? If you watched the games, you'll know.

Good response. I'll add one or two things...

1. IDK if Ronoranina knows this but, some of us have chronically, and meticulously detailed the deficiencies of this system from way back. These observations are nothing new.

2. As I stated in the Verdict is out thread and repeat...

To kill all this debate about Coach, his system, his past, and present, all we have to do is look at the
RESULTS!

If you're happy with them, or think they'll get better then STFU! But please don't try and bash someone for standards and expectations that don't match your own. I mean c'mon... any coach would be considered a failure given these results. And the more you big-up MDA, the more you show patience"...

the more the expectations GO UP. And the more we fail, the worse your opinion looks. Are we watching the same game?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Are we, is MD, setting that limitation? Or is STAT not capable?

I remember I'd watched this video ,at some stage, with a low post instructional by, sadly, Carlos Boozer.

Please, give it a peek and then tell me whether or not STAT's capabilities don't include the fundamentals required to play as a post up scorer.

Pay particular attention to the in game highlights. If it works for Boozer, it works for Amar'e. If it works for Sloane, why doesn't it for D'Antoni?

honestly bro, i don't think stat is as fundamentally sound as boozer.

no, he does not have that array of moves in the post. if he does i haven't seen them.

this could either be because he REALLY doesn't have them, or it's a bi-product of him playing in mike d's system.

boozer is really, really fundamentally sound, like duncan fundamentally sound w/out the size.

amare gets by on athletic ability. he's quick and explosive as hell!

it was smart of him to develop a consistent jumpshot because now he's basically unguardable, hence all of the double teams.

stat's dominant in his own way.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Good response. I'll add one or two things...

1. IDK if Ronoranina knows this but, some of us have chronically, and meticulously detailed the deficiencies of this system from way back. These observations are nothing new.

2. As I stated in the Verdict is out thread and repeat...

To kill all this debate about Coach, his system, his past, and present, all we have to do is look at the
RESULTS!

If you're happy with them, or think they'll get better then STFU! But please don't try and bash someone for standards and expectations that don't match your own. I mean c'mon... any coach would be considered a failure given these results. And the more you big-up MDA, the more you show patience"...

the more the expectations GO UP. And the more we fail, the worse your opinion looks. Are we watching the same game?

i'm looking for the same thing you are bro. PROGRESS..

I happen to be optimistic in spite of the loosing cause i understand the what it takes for chemistry to develop. you should kno this as the representative coach on the boards red.

simply put, you hate on mike d, so the rest of us are foolish because we've seen his system and coaching work in the past and refuse to believe that it can't work now under similar circumstances..

those circumstances being that he has enough TALENT to win in this league consistently. right now he doesn't and the best we can hope right now is to develop enough cohesion to be a "dangerous" team, ie a .500 or just below.

it's not time to give up hope yet.. or wildly proclaim the "verdict is in", lol...

CoolClyde

Number 8 is Number 2

some quotes in this rank ranking stand out:

"Biggest weakness: Stubborness can often alienate, confuse complimentary players"

this is HUGE. Stubborn-ness! Alienation! Confusion! 'Antoni!

"The Knicks' roster is hardly stacked, but for the first time in D'Antoni's tenure, they have a team built to play his style."

'Antoni needs a team built to play his style, he cannot win without one of the league's best point guards, and as we've seen for 2+ years, cannot win with a new team if they don't play his SSOL to perfection.

"D'Antoni is not perfect -- he stubbornly relies on a short rotation despite playing at a breathneck pace - but he's a brilliant offensive mind that understands the key to a good offense in this league is eschewing the mid-range jump shot."

Stubborn-ness rears it's stubborn head again. A short rotation that leaves players winded in 4th quarter, spent by season's end.
A good offense eschews the mid-range jump shot? that's why the team is constantly shooting 3's, living and most of the time dying by it. the key to a good offense? who says?

"He's also a better defensive coach than people realize, though his team's defensive rankings are a bit misleading because D'Antoni preaches a low foul rate, sometimes at the expense of preventing points."

A low foul rate at the expense of preventing points? that's just BAD DEFENSE!!

"D'Antoni's reputation took a bit of a hit with the success of Alvin Gentry in Phoenix this year..."

'Antoni's rep in NYC has taken more than a hit, call it a nosedive!

Thank you JPZ17, for pointing this article out. Number 8 don't mean squat when you coach like Number 2. However, I agree that 'Antoni is one of the greatest coaches in the universe when he has the best players in the world on his team. His shitstache rules!!
:peace:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
ahhh finally a nice meaty topic to argue. the gloves are off..

listen, when i say the offense is proven what i'm referring to is those years in phoenix when him and nash had it running on all cylinders for 5 or 6 seasons. when he had players that could shoot consistently and a point guard that could pass and run the pick and roll uber effectively.

right now felton can't run the pick and roll right for two possible reasons:

either he just doesn't have the aptitude to make the decisions inherent to solid pick and roll play, ie the ability to read amare's roll off the pick properly.

...or the wing players we have don't allow amare to get open enough for felton to get a good look off the pick cause opposing defenders are helping off of perimeter shooters; see the inconsistency of gallo, inexperience of fields and the utter brick launcher that is chandler from 3 as prove positive for this part of the ineptitude of our staple play.

either way, right now the p & r is useless w felton at the helm. if it's primarily the first reason, then all we have to do is wait for the chemistry to develop between felt and stat. i suspect it's a little of both. if i'm wrong and it's the second, then our perimeter guys need to turn into knock-down shooters w the quickness or the p & r is facked!

on the other areas of suckiness w regards to our O, i just don't think these guys grasp well enough how to run it. i was watching phoenix play the lakers last night after the knick game (yes i watched the whole game, lol), and those players on phoenix run that shat crisp bro. not just nash either. they all know what they're doing in that O. THEY ACTUALLY DO THE SHAT YOU HERE MIKE D PREACHING OVER & OVER IN THE POST-GAME INTERVIEWS. they move the ball. when they have a shot they take it. they don't hesitate!! and they have guys that are knockdown shooters who hit consistently! they actually get the ball up quickly like WE should, granted nash has alot to do w that. but i've seen too many times where we take forever just to get the inbounds pass in to felt. ridiculous. this offense is designed to run a certain way and our team just doesn't do it right yet!!

now is that soley because of our coach? the system?? felton?? our lack of consistently dangerous shooters?? amare?? the newness of the team? who the fack knows.. none of us really knows, however i suspect it's not just anyone thing.

based on mike D's history i'm hesitant to point the finger at him soley and say "that's it! that's the problem".. it's just not that simple. developing a good team is like baking a cake. if some, or even one of the ingredients is missing you get a nasty ass-tasting cake. right now our team is :barf: type nasty and it's because of alot of things.. to point at our coach and say he is the one reason that the team is sinking based on his history is shortsighted imo.

what i do know is that coach basicly brought this O and nash into prominence.. has he lost it suddenly?? is it the system?? it was all nash right? the answers are complicated and elusive to pinpoint. i'm not gonna claim i have them.

the fundamental thing i want to get across here is my philosophy on the impact having good players has. right now we have stat and a bunch of role-players that have no battle-tested chemistry together to speak of. this is not enough obviously to even overcome really bad teams right now. time is the answer. as much as you and so many others here don't want to hear it, it's about getting time on the court together. it's also about guys like chandler and gallo getting better as players and more and more competent players in this system. the better and more effective our players get within the ssol the better we will be w time.

ofcourse, having more really, really good players obviously would take the edge off of the transition, as we're seeing w Miami, but all we have is stat right now. actually, miami makes all sorts of mistakes and is having it's own share of problems, but it's not "bad news bears" over there by any stretch because they have three extremely dynamic players that eliminate alot of mistakes even tho the team as a collective isn't completely familiar w spoltra's (or riley's depending how you look at it) system and lacks chemistry. it's about players ~~ always was always will be. i spanked red in this debate a couple of weeks back. why do you think donnie's trying to get steve nash over here.

one last thing, good coaching is not about what you do when your under-gunned, which we still are at this point. that's a common misconception around these boards. good coaching shows and is about having what you need to win and then making the moves necessary in training camp, walk-throughs, film sessions, and during in-game management to get your team to the best possible result. any coach who wins in the nba has had the players to do so. you can't have a good coach and no or not enough good players. when mike d has had the talent he's shown he can win consistently, just liek any other coach. and just like any other coach who's good and hasn't the players he's shown he can lose consistently. this ain't rocket science guys. players ==== wins, not coaches. pls get off mike d..

we suck primarily because we don't have the cohesion yet to overcome our lack of talent. :cool:

I'll have to get back in detail later. Now it's time to get me some MONEY!! Contracts, contracts!

But in the meantime, what about my question? The system isn't solely P&R. That's an easy way to blame Felton instead of Mike or anyone.

This thread is about the lack of success in set plays/the under utilisation and misguidance of Amar'e.

You can lead a horse to water etc etc etc.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
coolclyde D'Antoni's reputation took a bit of a hit with the success of Alvin Gentry in Phoenix this year
kimchan02.jpg

^
Gentry does it.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I'll have to get back in detail later. Now it's time to get me some MONEY!! Contracts, contracts!

But in the meantime, what about my question? The system isn't solely P&R. That's an easy way to blame Felton instead of Mike or anyone.

This thread is about the lack of success in set plays/the under utilisation and misguidance of Amar'e.

You can lead a horse to water etc etc etc.

if you read my post you wouldn't say all I touched on was the p & r w felton and amare.

I said a lot about a lot of things related to the perception of our coach and his offensive prowess.

Slow your ADD down and reread my post, then get at me...

Blas

Benchwarmer
Amare has physical limitations that limits his post game. He lacks good center of gravity. The guy is very top heavy so it is hard for him to back some of the bigger guys down. This also has contributed to his knee injuries since his lower body has trouble handling the abuse his upper body puts on it. This isn't something that can be physically corrected, it is just they way he is built.

Even Clyde has pointed this out numerous times during the pre-season.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
if you read my post you wouldn't say all I touched on was the p & r w felton and amare.

I didn't say that. And you didn't answer my question.

Seriously. I get the whole time and gelling hoopla. I do. But what about the stand out lack of clarity in strategies we've seen in every game, except for the +40% 3P% games? There are parrots that can tell you 3 is more than 2.

ronoranina;142066listen, when i say the offense is proven what i'm referring to is those years in phoenix when him and nash had it running on all cylinders for 5 or 6 seasons. when he had players that could shoot consistently and a point guard that could pass and run the pick and roll uber effectively.

NY - no Nash. No Nash in NY. Phoenix Nash. Nash plays in Phoenix. That was a stacked team of veterans, a young stud and an MVP. Peter Griffin would be successful with that crew. You're misguiding yourself with your own references. Phoenix comparisons mean literally nothing in NY in 2010. Nothing. The fact that NY are enquiring about Nash's availability is enough to ensure me that Mike is lost without him. That, and the last 2 seasons, as complete a bumbling debacle as I've ever seen, are no longer an excuse for sub par leadership.

Courtesy of CoolClyde.

"Biggest weakness: Stubborness can often alienate, confuse complimentary players" Is the man stuck in a mode? You referred to the ingredients in a cake, yes? MD is a selective eater. Like a panda or koala. One way, one ingredient and nothing more. Adjusting,, apparently is not an option.

What's not to grasp? Mike's mantra has, thus far, been based around shooting threes, cutting and the P&R. Comparatively, no post up plays for STAT, no isolations for Wilson to do what he does best, not a single P&R play for the Gov who sets great picks and rolls exceptionally well, no baseline screens for a 10-12 foot catch and shoot jumper/ the absence of a mid range game in any way, shape or form.. That, and less than a dozen picks have been set for Chandler. If I could be bothered, I'd go on. In fact, I think I will.

"D'Antoni is not perfect -- he stubbornly relies on a short rotation despite playing at a breathneck pace - but he's a brilliant offensive mind that understands the key to a good offense in this league is eschewing the mid-range jump shot."

Shunning the mid range game doesn't bring success!!!! That poop's so rotten it's steaming! Let's look at some of the decade's championship teams and their mid range contributors.

Detroit - Hamilton, Billups
LA - Kobe, Gasol
SA - Parker, Duncan
Boston - Pierce, Garnett

Any familiarity amongst that list of names?

Chandler, Felton, Douglas, Gallo and, with time, Randolph are all highly capable mid range converters. Chandler especially has a crisp baseline 15-20 footer. Gallo can drop them from anywhere. What form of deluded mind shuns an entire facet of offense and is considered an offensive genius?

You can't possibly agree with that sentiment? I can't see how anyone could.

In fact, I dedicated an entire thread to our success depending on spreading the floor with shots inside the 20 foot semi circle. Here it is. Please, check it out it'll save me the effort of typing more.http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9146&highlight=feet

As I mentioned previously, I question whether or not you've watched any games? Because if you have, you would have seen Chandler's capabilities in full array during the pre-season and in our opening 3 games as a spot shooting/slashing threat. What happened to that? I'll ****ing tell you what happened.....It's more of Mike's unyielding, fractious 'my way' mindset.

what i do know is that coach basicly brought this O and nash into prominence.. has he lost it suddenly??

No, not suddenly, not recently, but it did happen all of a sudden. On the day Shaquille O'Neal referred to himself as the Big Cactus. Shaq threw a spanner in Mike's fanny and now we have a team that isn't based on a one track MO as well.

Again. Have you been watching the games!? Have you seen the team crumble? Have you watched the 'SSOL' (which spells LOSS backwards) hand momentum to the other team? Our excellent first quarters (bar Philly)? Our players look they've had plenty of time on the court together. They're just not being coached to epitomise their strengths individually or as a unit/units.

There has been no encouragement from Mike, from what I've seen, in crucial stages of the 3rd and 4th quarters, to use the clock, draw fouls or set drawn out plays based around interior to perimeter passing to lull the defence in to mistakes as leads dwindle..... The green light is killing us. Again, where is the mid range threat? 3, 3, 3, 3, 3. Can't not mention missed layups though.

"D'Antoni preaches a low foul rate, sometimes at the expense of preventing points."

What sort of philosophical crud is that?

one last thing, good coaching is not about what you do when your under-gunned, which we still are at this point. that's a common misconception around these boards. good coaching shows and is about having what you need to win and then making the moves necessary in training camp, walk-throughs, film sessions, and during in-game management to get your team to the best possible result.

Thank you for making my own last point resoundingly clear in your own post! We have what we need to win on the roster. That's the most overt point I could possibly make. Getting your team to the best possible result requires an in depth perception of the players we have VS the motto Dantoni's created. Well, he didn't even create it! 'My way or the highway' is older than Donnie Walsh.

So yet again, I'll make my point, my perception, the premise of my disdain, whatever you want to call it, clear once again:

MD's ways are set in adamant and none shall suffice without doing so on the onus of his tenure in Phoenix.

He's fixated on past success, as the coach of a team locked in a tumultuous present. So with the past and present covered, the future is looking bleak with MD pressing the wrong buttons on a time worn modus operandi that depends on such focal components.

ie: Steve Nash

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Might I add that I don't like replying to humongous replies. So boring. As point form as possible please. That's the first post I've made that needed proof reading.

clumsy

Rotation player
Yah i don't know why you are sucking a coach....unless he is your family.

I will say this, D'Antoni has proven his system can work with a certain group of players....HOWEVER We don't have those players so why continue to employ him?!??! The results are there. Unfortunately no player will ever stand up to D'Antoni cuz they love him, he gives them career numbers and gets them bigger salaries, so that is why Walsh must make the move....

I don't see our squad as overly talented, however given our athleticism we could probably be a very decent team with a defensive minded coach.

moneyg

Starter
O'antoni is nothing. i mean nothing without nash....

Nash ran that team.. gave O'antoni his coaching career..

i always go back to an Nash interview when he call O'antoni 7 seconds or less offense a "MYTH"

the key is he has no half court plays.. or at least plays that work.

if he thinks he just gonna dump it inot STAT and kick it out for a jumper.. he's insane.. dont like it..

i could probably name 20 coaches better than he is.

its so sad. isaih would be a better coach for this team...thats bad.

metrocard

Legend
You have zero experience coaching basketball, so I'll take D'Antoni's moves over your non credible ass. Even if it fails, you're not qualified to speak on basketball decisions. So stop pretending like you are. Fool.

NYK4Lyfe

Rookie
Ive thought about this and im not sure if its true but a strong case can be made that Steve Nash made Dantoni's system work not the other way around as its often seen. Nash is still doing his thing in Phoenix without Dantoni and without STAT. Im sure the system had something to do with Nash winning 2 MVPs but I find it hard to believe that he's the only one who can run this system effectively.

Felton is a talented player but for some reason he hasnt figured it out yet. I think that reason is that Nash made Dantoni look like a genius not the other way around.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
You have zero experience coaching basketball, so I'll take D'Antoni's moves over your non credible ass. Even if it fails, you're not qualified to speak on basketball decisions. So stop pretending like you are. Fool.
You know, I bet you've never even played basketball. Have you? You're too small and too arrogant to be shown up. No doubt you lack the coordination to play a little man's role, so you played baseball or something the likes of that.

Am I right?

You've never had any credibility. You're just not clever enough. Small man, small brain, smaller chance.