Gallo LOVEFEST created Tensions in Locker Room (Harrington)

mafra

Legend
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-11-16_harrington_gallo_may_be_a_problem.html

Al Harrington says Knicks' preferential treatment of Danilo Gallinari created tension in locker room

BY Frank Isola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 4:00 AM

Al Harrington could be lobbying for Carmelo Anthony to re-sign with the Denver Nuggets or telling him to stay as far away from New York as possible.
Either way, Harrington's strained relationship with Mike D'Antoni could be working against the Knicks in their pursuit of the Nuggets' All-Star small forward.

"I've told him about New York," Harrington told the Daily News. "He knows what's going on."

One of the things going on is a problem with the way the team treats Danilo Gallinari, Harrington hinted.

Harrington, who wanted to re-sign with the Knicks, was let go because the club wanted to sign Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton and Timofey Mozgov. He still can't grasp why D'Antoni never embraced him despite the fact that he was willing to be a backup.

"The writing was on the wall," said Harrington, who signed a free-agent contract with Denver. "I wasn't his type of player. I know there were some people who didn't want me there, some who did but the coach didn't."

Last May, another disgruntled Knick, Eddy Curry, met with LeBron James in Ohio. Although Curry claims he didn't discuss the team or D'Antoni, several sources indicate that Curry gave LeBron an unfavorable report on the franchise.

Last week in Chicago, Harrington said he's "not bashing anyone" and said he'll always have strong emotional ties to Knicks president Donnie Walsh, for whom he played with the Pacers.

But Harrington also suggested the organization may have created tension in the locker room in its attempts to market Gallinari as a star. Harrington revealed that there was some resentment in the locker room toward Gallinari, whom some players felt is a favorite of D'Antoni. Harrington added that Gallinari's team-first mentality made him a respected player among the veterans.

"He's definitely getting a fair opportunity to be what they want him to be," Harrington said. "Hopefully he'll accomplish that. I'm a big fan of Gallo. I was a guy that got guys off him in the locker room. Everybody felt that way. It was tough on him. He wasn't asking (to be treated like a star), they gave it to them. To his credit he never got a big head about it. I always pulled for him. I hope he does become what they want him to become."

Last edited:

paris401

Starter
yo al... the only diff between u and zepole is that u are black and he is white...but the bottom line is... u both sux...

skin color has nuthin to do with it...

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Are you guys reading the same article that I am? Al never said anything about anyone being racist towards him, he said that he had to get other players to lay off of Gallo (who's italian like his coach) because of the perceived preferential treatment.

Put aside your dislike for Harrington for a sec and tell me what he said that was made up or a lie? Did the Knicks try to market Gallo as a star? Yes. Do we perceive Gallo to be getting preferential treatment either due to his ethnicity or because he's the coache's god-son? Yes. Could that cause tension in a locker room? Yes.

Harrington might be sour about not getting resigned, but he's not saying anything that we didn't already suspect. There's no way he's saying anyone was racist against him because the majority of the team is black...I took it to mean people where taking shots at Gallo. Now whether or not he stood up for him...I dunno, but you can't have selective reading comprehension because you dislike someone.

Plus, it's not like he had to take a pay cut in Denver. A locker room divided is a good way to lose multiple games and have a losing season. There's definitely something going on in the locker room based on the way the team is playing, Harrington's comments, and STAT's comments after the Rockets loss. I'm not gonna turn a blind eye to that because I don't like some wrinkly bald headed, wide mouthed, looking alien in Denver.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
You need to change the title of the thread. There is absolutely nothing about race in the article. And people who do not read carefully will just assume Al had problems with Gallo because of his race.

Gallo was hyped up to be the next Nowitzki, constantly featured in commercials and all the rest. As basketball is a game of egos: who gets minutes, who's "the man," etc., his teammates were understandably perturbed. This is commonplace, but, in NY, everything is magnified.

They need to let Gallo earn a reputation, as a result of his play, rather than putting all this pressure on him, with the commercials and billboards (we have a huge Gallo billboard where I live, in the Bronx).

I think the marketing needed something "fresh" so when Gallo came, they posted it as the new "Messiah" and all the spotlights were for him.
Of course in the lockeroom the feeling was not so nice to Gallo, and all the middle tier players were looking odd to this.
Gallo is not to blame for this and as already said above here, his team oriented mentality was respected and he was welcomed, as for the challenges he took (most famous Vs Melo) to sort of "defend" the MSG from the "Barbarians" who came and try to take it.
This year the music has changed, he's not 100%, he's shot is not falling but i see some improvement on his game, he's driving to the basket, drawing fouls and sinking FT, all he needs now is to find his outside shot BUT don't rely on it 100%, he has to shoot a 3, drive the next possession, post in the next one, shoot a 3 on the next one and so on, don't camp on that 3 point line only....
Let him go and feel comfortable and we will see...
:beer:

mafra

Legend
Are you guys reading the same article that I am? Al never said anything about anyone being racist towards him, he said that he had to get other players to lay off of Gallo (who's italian like his coach) because of the perceived preferential treatment.

Put aside your dislike for Harrington for a sec and tell me what he said that was made up or a lie? Did the Knicks try to market Gallo as a star? Yes. Do we perceive Gallo to be getting preferential treatment either due to his ethnicity or because he's the coache's god-son? Yes. Could that cause tension in a locker room? Yes.

Harrington might be sour about not getting resigned, but he's not saying anything that we didn't already suspect. There's no way he's saying anyone was racist against him because the majority of the team is black...I took it to mean people where taking shots at Gallo. Now whether or not he stood up for him...I dunno, but you can't have selective reading comprehension because you dislike someone.

Plus, it's not like he had to take a pay cut in Denver. A locker room divided is a good way to lose multiple games and have a losing season. There's definitely something going on in the locker room based on the way the team is playing, Harrington's comments, and STAT's comments after the Rockets loss. I'm not gonna turn a blind eye to that because I don't like some wrinkly bald headed, wide mouthed, looking alien in Denver.

Sure. I might have missed the point of this, but that sort of what happens when the writer of this article uses the word "tensions." Pavlov reaction, b/c we all know what sort of adj normally preceedes such a word.

BUT, when a team is struggling/rebuilding.... don't they always prop up their brand new lottery selection (high draft pick) as a savior? In most sports, this happens.

Why should it be different with the Knicks and Gallo?

Sure. He's Italian and the godson of the coach.... But to bitch about preferential treatment? Come on. This is why high draft picks in the NFl get star treatment over undrafted rookie free agents, and play even if the other guy is better sometimes.

Methinks the tension in the locker room was b/c these vets understood the writing on the wall, and that was none would be here in 2010.

Harrington missed nealry 300 three-pointes and had like 130+ turnovers. He lost 2 games for taunting the crowd (hanging on the rim). Maybe that was why the coach was sour on him.

And, Curry? Please. He steals Dolan's money and then talks bad about him behind his back because the owner wont lend him more money?

mafra

Legend
You need to change the title of the thread. There is absolutely nothing about race in the article. And people who do not read carefully will just assume Al had problems with Gallo because of his race.

Gallo was hyped up to be the next Nowitzki, constantly featured in commercials and all the rest. As basketball is a game of egos: who gets minutes, who's "the man," etc., his teammates were understandably perturbed. This is commonplace, but, in NY, everything is magnified.

They need to let Gallo earn a reputation, as a result of his play, rather than putting all this pressure on him, with the commercials and billboards (we have a huge Gallo billboard where I live, in the Bronx).

I tried to change it. You're right. I wasn't able.

p0nder

Starter
Sure. I might have missed the point of this, but that sort of what happens when the writer of this article uses the word "tensions." Pavlov reaction, b/c we all know what sort of adj normally preceedes such a word.

yup... sexual.... as in Isola is gay for al harrington. get this wack shit outta here.

iSaYughh

Starter

BUT, when a team is struggling/rebuilding.... don't they always prop up their brand new lottery selection (high draft pick) as a savior? In most sports, this happens.

Why should it be different with the Knicks and Gallo?

Sure. He's Italian and the godson of the coach.... But to bitch about preferential treatment? Come on. This is why high draft picks in the NFl get star treatment over undrafted rookie free agents, and play even if the other guy is better sometimes.

Methinks the tension in the locker room was b/c these vets understood the writing on the wall, and that was none would be here in 2010.

Harrington missed nealry 300 three-pointes and had like 130+ turnovers. He lost 2 games for taunting the crowd (hanging on the rim). Maybe that was why the coach was sour on him.

And, Curry? Please. He steals Dolan's money and then talks bad about him behind his back because the owner wont lend him more money?

Exactamund. We were a beaten down, badly images, cruddy franchise and team that was in the process of changing the tide and rebuilding.

We drafted a high lotto pick with a unique skill set who also happened to be a Dolce model.

Of coursed he'd get hyped up and looked to as a bigtime Knick!

The fact that Harrington himself is still so complimentary as to say Gallo has a "team first mentality", and that veterans respected that, shows a lot, especially since it'd be easy for a young, hotshot draft pick getting pimped up by the media to let it really go to his head!

This seams like Harrington just trying to remain relevant to NYC, and in general.

KingCharles34

All Star
Nobody on the knicks team last year deserved any kind of star treatment...This doesnt surprise me though. Antoni's been on Gallo's nuts from day one

Its obviously the italian connection...but both them lookin like some burnt spaghetti these days

First it was Isiah and Crawford, now its Antoni and Gallo :eek:hboy:

Of coarse there was special treatment for Gallo. I was at many of last seasons games and saw and heard it for myself. Al is also an ass kisser too, I'm not surprised at how he stood up for gallo, he "yes sir" the coach so much I almost thought he was a drill sergant...fag.

I know certain players were pushing elite players from coming to the Garden because of this Gallo dude, and the coaches undying wish to make his godson into an all-star...no matter what the cost. Get this trash and his fam out of NY, NOW. They are ruining the franchise...

jimkcchief88

All Star
Don't shoot the messenger guys, just hear the message. This article describes a toxic environment that fostered hostility between supposed teamates. Have any you ever worked on a job and felt unappreciated because one of your peers is "favorite son" that receives preferential treatment for whatever reason??? How did that make you feel??? Did that situation make you work harder, or throw your hands up in the air and give up????

This is all the more reason D'ant needs to go. The NBA player community is small and is in the process of "circling the wagons" with a new CBA in the offing. As the "Big Three" in Miami has taught us, these players do talk. These are not just "dumb jocks" having beers, its market savvy professionals discussing favorable situations that will further their careers. Is New York one of those destinations??? Well if it isn't, it should be. If their are any factors that impede this process, then they should be CUT OUT and removed like CANCER.

metrocard

Legend
On the court last year, Gallo played like a leader, especially when he's on.

When his skills are being utilized to the max, we play at our best.

Gallo is extremely skilled and talented. Theres no doubt about this. He deserves that treatment, he's our first round pick and a big part of this building process to success.

jimkcchief88

All Star
On the court last year, Gallo played like a leader, especially when he's on.

When his skills are being utilized to the max, we play at our best.

Gallo is extremely skilled and talented. Theres no doubt about this. He deserves that treatment, he's our first round pick and a big part of this building process to success.

Noooooo, You get the superstar treatment when you bring it EVERY NIGHT, not just when you are "on".

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-11-16_harrington_gallo_may_be_a_problem.html

Al Harrington says Knicks' preferential treatment of Danilo Gallinari created tension in locker room

BY Frank Isola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 4:00 AM

Al Harrington could be lobbying for Carmelo Anthony to re-sign with the Denver Nuggets or telling him to stay as far away from New York as possible.
Either way, Harrington's strained relationship with Mike D'Antoni could be working against the Knicks in their pursuit of the Nuggets' All-Star small forward.

"I've told him about New York," Harrington told the Daily News. "He knows what's going on."

One of the things going on is a problem with the way the team treats Danilo Gallinari, Harrington hinted.

Harrington, who wanted to re-sign with the Knicks, was let go because the club wanted to sign Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton and Timofey Mozgov. He still can't grasp why D'Antoni never embraced him despite the fact that he was willing to be a backup.

"The writing was on the wall," said Harrington, who signed a free-agent contract with Denver. "I wasn't his type of player. I know there were some people who didn't want me there, some who did but the coach didn't."

Last May, another disgruntled Knick, Eddy Curry, met with LeBron James in Ohio. Although Curry claims he didn't discuss the team or D'Antoni, several sources indicate that Curry gave LeBron an unfavorable report on the franchise.

Last week in Chicago, Harrington said he's "not bashing anyone" and said he'll always have strong emotional ties to Knicks president Donnie Walsh, for whom he played with the Pacers.

But Harrington also suggested the organization may have created tension in the locker room in its attempts to market Gallinari as a star. Harrington revealed that there was some resentment in the locker room toward Gallinari, whom some players felt is a favorite of D'Antoni. Harrington added that Gallinari's team-first mentality made him a respected player among the veterans.

"He's definitely getting a fair opportunity to be what they want him to be," Harrington said. "Hopefully he'll accomplish that. I'm a big fan of Gallo. I was a guy that got guys off him in the locker room. Everybody felt that way. It was tough on him. He wasn't asking (to be treated like a star), they gave it to them. To his credit he never got a big head about it. I always pulled for him. I hope he does become what they want him to become."

Where exactly does race come into play? Major fail...:barf:

metrocard

Legend
Gallo has played ONE GOOD GAME THIS SEASON. 1-10 is 10%. I guess your MATH acumen is as bad as your ENGLISH (see also defensive efficiency thread).

Why are you talking about English when you make countless errors in your grammar?

You just love to keep making a fool out of yourself.
I don't even have to try to embarrass you, you do it yourself quite efficiency. You never f*ck up at clowning yourself or attempt to make yourself look presentably knowledgeable.

Your dismissed.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Why are you talking about English when you make countless errors in your grammar?

You just love to keep making a fool out of yourself.
I don't even have to try to embarrass you, you do it yourself quite efficiency. You never f*ck up at clowning yourself or attempt to make yourself look presentably knowledgeable.

Your dismissed.

I have a grammar error for ya: RIIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!!!!!!!

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I kind of get what Metro is saying, but that argument loses weight with every game that Gallo disappears in. When you take someone 6th overall they kind of become a de facto star. And you can keep that tag on them and let them grow into a true star....we've seen it happen before. The thing is....you can lose that inherited title if you don't play up to the level of it. It's not up to the team to proclaim someone is a star cause they went high in the draft...your play on the court has to support that claim...and Gallo's play is inconsistent at best.

Not "young player" inconsistent, but literally all over the damn place and not where it should be. The only defined part of his skill set, in 3 years with the organization (not necessarily on the court, but under the tutelage of D'Antoni's coaching staff) and the only consistent part of his game is standing, waiting, and taking shots 22+ feet out.

James Harden, Tyreke Evans, and Steph Curry were taken 3rd, 4th, and 7th respectively. Which two players made a name for themselves in their rookie year and carried it over to their sophomore year? Which two players are stars? Which player can't crack his team's starting lineup?

Draft position doesn't make you star, no matter how much your team, fans, and coach wants you to be. You still have to go out there and show a game comparable to the established stars.