Walsh and D'Antoni not on the same page

Paul1355

All Star
This is from Tommy Dee at the Knicksblog.com

"And not to keep you in suspense, but I talked to a source close with real knowledge and it?s something I posted on Twitter.
Donnie Walsh and Mike D?Antoni are not on the same page and contrary to popular belief, even on my own part, Walsh isn?t opposed to dismissing D?Antoni especially if they bomb on this road trip. And, according to the source, Walsh would be able to name a successor.
Walsh is currently recovering from hip surgery.
The source says Knicks players aren?t happy, and why would they be, every game seems to end in the same result.
This is not to excuse them, they?ve been dreadful from behind the arc, but it seems as if D?Antoni has already lost the locker room and only a win can even begin to change the atmosphere.
The source also tells me that D?Antoni and Walsh haven?t been on the same page for some time and one can only speculate it may have something to do with D?Antoni?s resistance to play Anthony Randolph, who Walsh loves, major minutes among other things like the lack of improvement of the team.
Things are brewing, and this is not to say that a dismissal is imminent, it?s to say that it?s not a given that D?Antoni, should the Knicks continue to lose, will last all that long.
I expect there to be the same patience that Walsh has exuded since hes been here. But it appears it?s wearing thin.
And it may cost D?Antoni his job, again, unless the Knicks can do something on this road trip.
This wasn?t the right start."

Thoughts?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Remains to be seen. As fans of the Knicks, we're all well aware of media manifestations. Interesting, though.

mafra

Legend
D'antoni isn't playing Randolph, and he wont play Curry (now that he's healthy again).

If Knicks come home 3-11, they are on the verge of throwing the season away. They do still have an "easy" 10 game stretch after the LAC game before the schedule gets brutal.

Walsh knows the season hangs in the balance starting with the 2 back-2-back games against CHA.

Walsh also knows Knicks are getting nothing from the center position, and that Curry is almost ready. D'antonit basically said he wont play Curry, while Walsh is hoping that Curry is able to contribute.

Curry may be a joke, but even he could give us more than what Mozgov is giving.

Start Curry and you instantly help STAT. Then Mozgiv can come in and give us 3 fouls in 4 minutes an all is well. Turiaf plays less which means he stays healthy and available for the 4th quarter.

If Walsh is butting heads with coach over Randolph and Curry, then he might make a move. He he does can MD and hire a new coach, it's only fair to do so before the season is lost. Waiting another 10 games after this road trip isn't fair to the new coach. UNLESS he'll give MD one final chance, and then plans on giving Herb the interim tag, or give a trail run to someone like Ewing or Mark Jackson.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Hiring a new coach is already acknowledgment that we are tanking this season. I'm not saying this because I am against the move.

I'm just hoping we are not expecting that a new coach can implement a new game plan and get our players to yet buy into another system and play for that coach, make the play-offs in less then a full season. Chances of that are very little.

Ideally we would find a coach that are suited for our players. Just getting a defensive minded coach is not going to work if he cannot coach up our players to play defense.

Obvious choice would be JVG.

Get rid of him. He has a big problem with recognizing what a player can and cannot do. He doesn't coach to their strengths and he leaves talented players out of the line up because he can not adjust to their strengths. The game is about the players not the coach. Use them to their best abilities and stop forcing them to play your flawed ssol.

nyk_nyk

All Star
D'antoni isn't playing Randolph, and he wont play Curry (now that he's healthy again).

If Knicks come home 3-11, they are on the verge of throwing the season away. They do still have an "easy" 10 game stretch after the LAC game before the schedule gets brutal.

Walsh knows the season hangs in the balance starting with the 2 back-2-back games against CHA.

Walsh also knows Knicks are getting nothing from the center position, and that Curry is almost ready. D'antonit basically said he wont play Curry, while Walsh is hoping that Curry is able to contribute.

Start Curry and you instantly help STAT. Then Mozgiv can come in and give us 3 fouls in 4 minutes an all is well. Turiaf plays less which means he stays healthy and available for the 4th quarter.

If Walsh is butting heads with coach over Randolph and Curry, then he might make a move. He he does can MD and hire a new coach, it's only fair to do so before the season is lost. Waiting another 10 games after this road trip isn't fair to the new coach. UNLESS he'll give MD one final chance, and then plans on giving Herb the interim tag, or give a trail run to someone like Ewing or Mark Jackson.
As crazy as it may sound, I'm not opposed to starting Curry. Mozgov gives us about 2 rebounds, 1 block and about 2 pts a game. Curry poses a better threat in the post. Obviously we lose some intimidation when he's in but I doubt he'd get big minutes anyway.

I agree that we'd still use Mozgov and Turiaf which would be better for them in the long run not having to play so many minutes. This way we have that position slotted with three different types of centers. Great from a coaching standpoint so basically that means Dantoni won't know how to use it.

mafra

Legend
As crazy as it may sound, I'm not opposed to starting Curry. Mozgov gives us about 2 rebounds, 1 block and about 2 pts a game. Curry poses a better threat in the post. Obviously we lose some intimidation when he's in but I doubt he'd get big minutes anyway.

I agree that we'd still use Mozgov and Turiaf which would be better for them in the long run not having to play so many minutes. This way we have that position slotted with three different types of centers. Great from a coaching standpoint so basically that means Dantoni won't know how to use it.

I saw Brian Zubek do nothing for 3.5 years, then lead Duke to a title. Crazy stuff happens.

It's about what is best for the team. STAT is actualy a decent passer. Put him at the elbow and Curry on the block and EC will get easy layups.

What do we have to lose. We're getting nothing from Mozgov anyway. I have nothing against the MOZ but he didn't even start for his Russian squad last year, and his team wasn't even in the main league!

Dude might becoem a player in 3 years, but right now he's nothing more than a project. He hustles and dives for the ball, and can give you 5 hard fouls.

I would start Curry. WE NEED ALL THE OFFENSE WE CAN GET I would give Curry an honest shake. His walk year! Get something out of it. PLay him and play him often. Let Turiaf finish games.

We all know Curry is fragile and lacks motivation. Coddle the fellow and coax something out og him. It's called COACHING. Larry Brown is a HOF coach, any wonder why he got the most out of Curry.

D'ant giving him the cold shoulder and playing him 6 minutes one night and benching him for 3 games wont do the team any good.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
If this is true, then D'Antoni should get fired by the end of next week (YES!) because the only game the Knicks have a real chance of winning in these next two weeks is the one against the Bobcats at home.

They can't beat the Kings(they're on a losing streak and will go all out on the Knicks), Warriors(the Warriors are hungry for a playoff appearance, so they're going to go for the kill against the Knicks), or Clippers(they have just one win on the season, so guess how hard they're going to take it to a team that is in just as much of a slump as they are?), and they can only win one game against Charlotte, in their mini two game series, and Atlanta will hand the Knicks a loss.

The Knicks are going to be 4-13, by the end of next week.

iSaYughh

Starter
If this is true, then D'Antoni should get fired by the end of next week (YES!) because the only game the Knicks have a real chance of winning in these next two weeks is the one against the Bobcats at home.

They can't beat the Kings(they're on a losing streak and will go all out on the Knicks), Warriors(the Warriors are hungry for a playoff appearance, so they're going to go for the kill against the Knicks), or Clippers(they have just one win on the season, so guess how hard they're going to take it to a team that is in just as much of a slump as they are?), and they can only win one game against Charlotte, in their mini two game series, and Atlanta will hand the Knicks a loss.

The Knicks are going to be 4-13, by the end of next week.

Maybe. But even in such disgraceful, shameful fail; we'll have a great shot at the glory of snagging a superfly lotto pick! We got our bases covered as a franchise, win OR lose!

nyk_nyk

All Star
Maybe. But even in such disgraceful, shameful fail; we'll have a great shot at the glory of snagging a superfly lotto pick! We got our bases covered as a franchise, win OR lose!

This draft right now is predicted to be pretty weak PLUS the Rockets have the right to swap picks with us. If they (HOU) continue their own losing ways then it won't matter, they'll just get the higher of the two lotto picks.

mafra

Legend
Knicks need K-Irving from Duke. R-Strickland clone. They should be able to grab him with a top-10 pick.

Knicks need K-Irving from Duke. R-Strickland clone. They should be able to grab him with a top-10 pick.
I was telling a friend of mine that yesterday. He would be NICE in the pick and roll. nut if we end up with a lottery Pick and not a playoff spot D'Antoni will probley be fired.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I wouldn't believe a word of this story. D'Antoni is here for at least the whole season, most likely more. Like it or not, it's the truth. Mr. Patience (Donnie) is not going to fire him during the season.

jimkcchief88

All Star
OMG.....I can here the chants in MSG now: "Eddy" "Eddy!" I know thats a little over the top, but I am glad the board is finally realizing E-City has value. E-CITY IS THE ONLY TRUE CENTER ON THE TEAM WITH A POST GAME. That's a fact. Having E-city on the floor would FORCE our offense to slow down. Running high-low or double post with STAT and E-city would free up your shooters as well as getting you better % shots down low and get you some freebies at the charity stripe. The problem is that IT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE!!!!

Paul1355

All Star

If Felton was good at the pick and roll then Mozgov would be really effective

Paul1355

All Star
I wouldn't believe a word of this story. D'Antoni is here for at least the whole season, most likely more. Like it or not, it's the truth. Mr. Patience (Donnie) is not going to fire him during the season.
agreed, unless we lose like 15 out of the next 20 i see him lasting the season and then getting dumped

Kiyaman

Legend
Sad but true

I wonder why?
Is it b/c Kiyaman mention celebrity coach Dantoni was not on the same-page with
Donnie Walsh 2 years ago (about this time in the season)?

Did Dantoni want Walsh to trade Marbury in the 2008 offseason? Hell Yeah!
Did Walsh expect Dantoni to play Curry or Jerome James? Yes
Did Walsh expect rookie Gallo to be NBA-ready and a steal of the lottery? Hell Yeah!
Did Walsh expect Dantoni to have the same close relationship with Knick players
as he did with Phoenix players? HELL-HELL YEAH!!!
Donnie Walsh has always filled the Indiana Pacers roster with more bigs than guards.
Walsh expected Dantoni to give a fair-chance to all the players they
drafted, they traded for, plus all the players they signed, even the 10 day
contract players. All the personal-conflicts between coach & players was not apart of
Walsh expectations of Dantoni.

There are a hundred more positive expectations that "Walsh & Knick-Fans" had
of celebrity coach Damnphony that stayed in Phoenix, and never came to New York.