Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: Gallo LOVEFEST created Tensions in Locker Room (Harrington)

  1. #1
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,318
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Gallo LOVEFEST created Tensions in Locker Room (Harrington)

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Al Harrington says Knicks' preferential treatment of Danilo Gallinari created tension in locker room

    BY [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
    Tuesday, November 16th 2010, 4:00 AM



    Al Harrington could be lobbying for [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to re-sign with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or telling him to stay as far away from New York as possible.
    Either way, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s strained relationship with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] could be working against the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in their pursuit of the Nuggets' All-Star small forward.

    "I've told him about New York," Harrington told the Daily News. "He knows what's going on."

    One of the things going on is a problem with the way the team treats [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], Harrington hinted.

    Harrington, who wanted to re-sign with the Knicks, was let go because the club wanted to sign [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. He still can't grasp why D'Antoni never embraced him despite the fact that he was willing to be a backup.

    "The writing was on the wall," said Harrington, who signed a free-agent contract with Denver. "I wasn't his type of player. I know there were some people who didn't want me there, some who did but the coach didn't."

    Last May, another disgruntled Knick, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], met with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Although Curry claims he didn't discuss the team or D'Antoni, several sources indicate that Curry gave LeBron an unfavorable report on the franchise.

    Last week in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], Harrington said he's "not bashing anyone" and said he'll always have strong emotional ties to Knicks president [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], for whom he played with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

    But Harrington also suggested the organization may have created tension in the locker room in its attempts to market Gallinari as a star. Harrington revealed that there was some resentment in the locker room toward Gallinari, whom some players felt is a favorite of D'Antoni. Harrington added that Gallinari's team-first mentality made him a respected player among the veterans.

    "He's definitely getting a fair opportunity to be what they want him to be," Harrington said. "Hopefully he'll accomplish that. I'm a big fan of Gallo. I was a guy that got guys off him in the locker room. Everybody felt that way. It was tough on him. He wasn't asking (to be treated like a star), they gave it to them. To his credit he never got a big head about it. I always pulled for him. I hope he does become what they want him to become."
    Last edited by mafra; Nov 16, 2010 at 08:07.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,650
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    yo al... the only diff between u and zepole is that u are black and he is white...but the bottom line is... u both sux...

    skin color has nuthin to do with it...

  3. #3
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Are you guys reading the same article that I am? Al never said anything about anyone being racist towards him, he said that he had to get other players to lay off of Gallo (who's italian like his coach) because of the perceived preferential treatment.

    Put aside your dislike for Harrington for a sec and tell me what he said that was made up or a lie? Did the Knicks try to market Gallo as a star? Yes. Do we perceive Gallo to be getting preferential treatment either due to his ethnicity or because he's the coache's god-son? Yes. Could that cause tension in a locker room? Yes.

    Harrington might be sour about not getting resigned, but he's not saying anything that we didn't already suspect. There's no way he's saying anyone was racist against him because the majority of the team is black...I took it to mean people where taking shots at Gallo. Now whether or not he stood up for him...I dunno, but you can't have selective reading comprehension because you dislike someone.

    Plus, it's not like he had to take a pay cut in Denver. A locker room divided is a good way to lose multiple games and have a losing season. There's definitely something going on in the locker room based on the way the team is playing, Harrington's comments, and STAT's comments after the Rockets loss. I'm not gonna turn a blind eye to that because I don't like some wrinkly bald headed, wide mouthed, looking alien in Denver.

  4. #4
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    You need to change the title of the thread. There is absolutely nothing about race in the article. And people who do not read carefully will just assume Al had problems with Gallo because of his race.

    Gallo was hyped up to be the next Nowitzki, constantly featured in commercials and all the rest. As basketball is a game of egos: who gets minutes, who's "the man," etc., his teammates were understandably perturbed. This is commonplace, but, in NY, everything is magnified.

    They need to let Gallo earn a reputation, as a result of his play, rather than putting all this pressure on him, with the commercials and billboards (we have a huge Gallo billboard where I live, in the Bronx).

  5. #5
    Newbie threepointer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I think the marketing needed something "fresh" so when Gallo came, they posted it as the new "Messiah" and all the spotlights were for him.
    Of course in the lockeroom the feeling was not so nice to Gallo, and all the middle tier players were looking odd to this.
    Gallo is not to blame for this and as already said above here, his team oriented mentality was respected and he was welcomed, as for the challenges he took (most famous Vs Melo) to sort of "defend" the MSG from the "Barbarians" who came and try to take it.
    This year the music has changed, he's not 100%, he's shot is not falling but i see some improvement on his game, he's driving to the basket, drawing fouls and sinking FT, all he needs now is to find his outside shot BUT don't rely on it 100%, he has to shoot a 3, drive the next possession, post in the next one, shoot a 3 on the next one and so on, don't camp on that 3 point line only....
    Let him go and feel comfortable and we will see...

  6. #6
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,318
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Are you guys reading the same article that I am? Al never said anything about anyone being racist towards him, he said that he had to get other players to lay off of Gallo (who's italian like his coach) because of the perceived preferential treatment.

    Put aside your dislike for Harrington for a sec and tell me what he said that was made up or a lie? Did the Knicks try to market Gallo as a star? Yes. Do we perceive Gallo to be getting preferential treatment either due to his ethnicity or because he's the coache's god-son? Yes. Could that cause tension in a locker room? Yes.

    Harrington might be sour about not getting resigned, but he's not saying anything that we didn't already suspect. There's no way he's saying anyone was racist against him because the majority of the team is black...I took it to mean people where taking shots at Gallo. Now whether or not he stood up for him...I dunno, but you can't have selective reading comprehension because you dislike someone.

    Plus, it's not like he had to take a pay cut in Denver. A locker room divided is a good way to lose multiple games and have a losing season. There's definitely something going on in the locker room based on the way the team is playing, Harrington's comments, and STAT's comments after the Rockets loss. I'm not gonna turn a blind eye to that because I don't like some wrinkly bald headed, wide mouthed, looking alien in Denver.
    Sure. I might have missed the point of this, but that sort of what happens when the writer of this article uses the word "tensions." Pavlov reaction, b/c we all know what sort of adj normally preceedes such a word.

    BUT, when a team is struggling/rebuilding.... don't they always prop up their brand new lottery selection (high draft pick) as a savior? In most sports, this happens.

    Why should it be different with the Knicks and Gallo?

    Sure. He's Italian and the godson of the coach.... But to bitch about preferential treatment? Come on. This is why high draft picks in the NFl get star treatment over undrafted rookie free agents, and play even if the other guy is better sometimes.

    Methinks the tension in the locker room was b/c these vets understood the writing on the wall, and that was none would be here in 2010.

    Harrington missed nealry 300 three-pointes and had like 130+ turnovers. He lost 2 games for taunting the crowd (hanging on the rim). Maybe that was why the coach was sour on him.

    And, Curry? Please. He steals Dolan's money and then talks bad about him behind his back because the owner wont lend him more money?

  7. #7
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,318
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    You need to change the title of the thread. There is absolutely nothing about race in the article. And people who do not read carefully will just assume Al had problems with Gallo because of his race.

    Gallo was hyped up to be the next Nowitzki, constantly featured in commercials and all the rest. As basketball is a game of egos: who gets minutes, who's "the man," etc., his teammates were understandably perturbed. This is commonplace, but, in NY, everything is magnified.

    They need to let Gallo earn a reputation, as a result of his play, rather than putting all this pressure on him, with the commercials and billboards (we have a huge Gallo billboard where I live, in the Bronx).
    I tried to change it. You're right. I wasn't able.

  8. #8
    Veteran p0nder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Sure. I might have missed the point of this, but that sort of what happens when the writer of this article uses the word "tensions." Pavlov reaction, b/c we all know what sort of adj normally preceedes such a word.
    yup... sexual.... as in Isola is gay for al harrington. get this wack **** outta here.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by mafra
    Sure. I might have missed the point of this, but that sort of what happens when the writer of this article uses the word "tensions." Pavlov reaction, b/c we all know what sort of adj normally preceedes such a word.

    BUT, when a team is struggling/rebuilding.... don't they always prop up their brand new lottery selection (high draft pick) as a savior? In most sports, this happens.

    Why should it be different with the Knicks and Gallo?

    Sure. He's Italian and the godson of the coach.... But to bitch about preferential treatment? Come on. This is why high draft picks in the NFl get star treatment over undrafted rookie free agents, and play even if the other guy is better sometimes.

    Methinks the tension in the locker room was b/c these vets understood the writing on the wall, and that was none would be here in 2010.

    Harrington missed nealry 300 three-pointes and had like 130+ turnovers. He lost 2 games for taunting the crowd (hanging on the rim). Maybe that was why the coach was sour on him.

    And, Curry? Please. He steals Dolan's money and then talks bad about him behind his back because the owner wont lend him more money?
    Exactamund. We were a beaten down, badly images, cruddy franchise and team that was in the process of changing the tide and rebuilding.

    We drafted a high lotto pick with a unique skill set who also happened to be a Dolce model.

    Of coursed he'd get hyped up and looked to as a bigtime Knick!

    The fact that Harrington himself is still so complimentary as to say Gallo has a "team first mentality", and that veterans respected that, shows a lot, especially since it'd be easy for a young, hotshot draft pick getting pimped up by the media to let it really go to his head!

    This seams like Harrington just trying to remain relevant to NYC, and in general.

  10. #10
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Nobody on the knicks team last year deserved any kind of star treatment...This doesnt surprise me though. Antoni's been on Gallo's nuts from day one

    Its obviously the italian connection...but both them lookin like some burnt spaghetti these days

    First it was Isiah and Crawford, now its Antoni and Gallo

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Of coarse there was special treatment for Gallo. I was at many of last seasons games and saw and heard it for myself. Al is also an ass kisser too, I'm not surprised at how he stood up for gallo, he "yes sir" the coach so much I almost thought he was a drill sergant...fag.

    I know certain players were pushing elite players from coming to the Garden because of this Gallo dude, and the coaches undying wish to make his godson into an all-star...no matter what the cost. Get this trash and his fam out of NY, NOW. They are ruining the franchise...

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,050
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Don't shoot the messenger guys, just hear the message. This article describes a toxic environment that fostered hostility between supposed teamates. Have any you ever worked on a job and felt unappreciated because one of your peers is "favorite son" that receives preferential treatment for whatever reason??? How did that make you feel??? Did that situation make you work harder, or throw your hands up in the air and give up????

    This is all the more reason D'ant needs to go. The NBA player community is small and is in the process of "circling the wagons" with a new CBA in the offing. As the "Big Three" in Miami has taught us, these players do talk. These are not just "dumb jocks" having beers, its market savvy professionals discussing favorable situations that will further their careers. Is New York one of those destinations??? Well if it isn't, it should be. If their are any factors that impede this process, then they should be CUT OUT and removed like CANCER.

  13. #13
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    On the court last year, Gallo played like a leader, especially when he's on.

    When his skills are being utilized to the max, we play at our best.

    Gallo is extremely skilled and talented. Theres no doubt about this. He deserves that treatment, he's our first round pick and a big part of this building process to success.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,050
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    On the court last year, Gallo played like a leader, especially when he's on.

    When his skills are being utilized to the max, we play at our best.

    Gallo is extremely skilled and talented. Theres no doubt about this. He deserves that treatment, he's our first round pick and a big part of this building process to success.
    Noooooo, You get the superstar treatment when you bring it EVERY NIGHT, not just when you are "on".

  15. #15
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by jimkcchief88
    Noooooo, You get the superstar treatment when you bring it EVERY NIGHT, not just when you are "on".
    Everyone has their bad games.

    Your point?

    Oh.

    When you post.
    you make no points.

    So why am I even asking.

Similar Threads

  1. Who is our best young player?
    By ronoranina in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: Nov 21, 2010, 18:52
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: Jul 16, 2010, 09:37
  3. Harrington wants to stay...should we keep him?
    By LJ4ptplay in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Dec 11, 2008, 21:11
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 18, 2008, 18:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •