Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please tell me where is the pick and roll

Veteran

Nyk Logo please tell me where is the pick and roll

i think our problem on offense is that if we are not hitting our 3pters we are way to predictable

the pick and roll has been around since the begining of the game and still remains the hardest play to defend.

in phoenix O'antoni used it with nash.. or better yet nash used it on his own..

can somebody give me an honest reason why our coach does use it.

we cant balme felton cuz he used it with the bobcats under larry brown and was successful

not only are we not using it.. we are not doing a good job of defending it as well

i was watchin last night game when even the clippers announcers were stunned as well at half time... they assume O'antoni would use it more in the secound half.. but no dice... this is very concerning

even if we had a player like a tyson chandler or marc gasol... these players are not good offensively without the p & r..

what is this guy doing?????

Veteran

I'm not entirely sure myself.

But they're winning without it, so I'm good.

Veteran

Amare doesn't set a very good pick, wonder how Nash and him were so successful with it. I agree the PnR gets you some of those easy points that Amare has been talking about but the Knicks have been scoring a ton of points without it.

Let's see if it lasts but the ball movement has gotten them more open looks and I assume the shooting % has improved because of it. I still think D is where you need to hang your hat, NO has that great record because of their D not their O.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

our offense is focused more around the post now were not running it as much the system looks different- theres a thread of it real interesting

We are running a new offense it highlights great ball movement starting at the top of the key. We see alot of hand offs from Turiaf and alot more cutting between Gallo and fields. Also Amare is passing straight out the double earlier and taking his man when he gets a chance. ANd i can't forget Felton who is having a Allstar year last night he went 17pts 7ast 7stl that's NUMBERS.

Veteran

Unhappy

Amare's 23-8 movement on the court is starting to remind me of
    Harrington's 20-6 movement on the court.

I dont recall any pick n rolls by Duhon & Harrington, I do recall alot
    of pick n rolls off of broken plays by Duhon n Lee.
    I dont recall many pick n rolls by Felton & Okafor, or Felton & Chandler,
    or Felton & Nazr (Marbury & Nazr gave us alot of pick n rolls).

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Amare's 23-8 movement on the court is starting to remind me of
    Harrington's 20-6 movement on the court.

I dont recall any pick n rolls by Duhon & Harrington, I do recall alot
    of pick n rolls off of broken plays by Duhon n Lee.
    I dont recall many pick n rolls by Felton & Okafor, or Felton & Chandler,
    or Felton & Nazr (Marbury & Nazr gave us alot of pick n rolls).
    Co-sign....once again, i say, F-U-C-K the pick and roll, we have players capable of doing things better than a dumb pnr.....the pnr works well as a surprise.....not a main offensive scheme, nash was just able to surprise the defense with the pass from any angle. We are better than being a ''david lee/duhon'' that relies on an ald ass highschoiol play for points.

Veteran

The p and r is needed. I c way to many half court problems with us. It forces teams to d up. It wears down opponents. Forces the defense to go oveer top of screans which creates fouls and put teams in the penalty early. Also the nothin like hammering a guy with a pick. That's ny knicks ball. For those that think it a simple bs play, your wrong. It takes practice to master. It all about fundamentals and a lot of our players lack that. Tel me one championship level team other than the triangle lakers that does not execute the p and r.

Veteran

They're obviously going to keep working on it in practice.

But until then, they've got to find something that works.

Originally Posted by moneyg
    The p and r is needed. I c way to many half court problems with us. It forces teams to d up. It wears down opponents. Forces the defense to go oveer top of screans which creates fouls and put teams in the penalty early. Also the nothin like hammering a guy with a pick. That's ny knicks ball. For those that think it a simple bs play, your wrong. It takes practice to master. It all about fundamentals and a lot of our players lack that. Tel me one championship level team other than the triangle lakers that does not execute the p and r.
    Setting effective screens do the same thing, a pick and pop can work even better with gallo setting a screen on a pg. Pick and roll is a SIMPLE PLAY. Its an elementary basketball play.

San Antonio....pick n piop
    New Orleans....alley-oop/pick n pop
    Miami.....no picks needed
    Boston....pick n pop, nice dimes from rondo
    Dallas.....does dirk know what a pick is?

none of the elite teams focus on pnr smarty.....come to think of it.
    Most of them are pick and pop teams that have a nice shooting big man.
    No one makes the PnR the start all, end all of their offense....because they will end up like the 30 win knicks.
    The pnr takes time to set up, if it isnt executed, you have guys in the wrong space to set up another good look, our team and the pnr will never work as a main go to play. It will be sprinkles of pnr here and there. Until i see it being successful, f--- the pnr

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by Toons
    Setting effective screens do the same thing, a pick and pop can work even better with gallo setting a screen on a pg. Pick and roll is a SIMPLE PLAY. Its an elementary basketball play.

San Antonio....pick n piop
    New Orleans....alley-oop/pick n pop
    Boston....pick n pop, nice dimes from rondo
    Dallas.....does dirk know what a pick is?

none of the elite teams focus on pnr smarty.....come to think of it.
    Most of them are pick and pop teams that have a nice shooting big man.
    No one makes the PnR the start all, end all of their offense....because they will end up like the 30 win knicks.
    The pnr takes time to set up, if it isnt executed, you have guys in the wrong space to set up another good look, our team and the pnr will never work as a main go to play. It will be sprinkles of pnr here and there. Until i see it being successful, f--- the pnr
    umm nobady is ayin run the pick and roll evrytime down the court.. but it should be part of your arsenal

furthermore..

tony parker and ducan run the pick and roll
    nash and stat ran the pick and roll
    rondos run the pick and roll with all his bigs
    chris paul runs the pick and roll
    jammer and dwight run the pick and roll

its what made stckton and karll malone so great.. nobody could stop it.. id take them over felton and stat running that play down people throat.

oh yeah.. NO's alley oop is off a pick and roll..

i dont even see any of our players setting picks as much as they should except for turiaf

but aslo we can even defend it...

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by Toons

Also, If u watched the Miami game last night.. nba tv specifically pointed out miami uses the hight pick and roll.... the reason why they got beat is because the pacers went under the screen instead of over it and forced miami into jumpshots that they did not make... utah runs it as well with d. williams.. all the sucessful teams are good at it..

sorry... just the facts

Teams look like they know what's coming.. Everytime I see Amare set the pick there's always another man coming over immediately to stick with him and prevent the pass for an easy dunk.

we should have teh pick and roll down, what the hell is with felton

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    Teams look like they know what's coming.. Everytime I see Amare set the pick there's always another man coming over immediately to stick with him and prevent the pass for an easy dunk.
    EXACTLY
    like other teams dont do scouting reports