KNICKS 8-8. Felt-STAT leading. Azubuike & Curry Returning

mafra

Legend
OK. Time to put the 'Fire D'antoni' stuff to bed (for now). Not a big fan of the man, but after this 5-game winning streak I feel he deserves the season to prove his worth (or be exposed).

It took 11 games, but the team has 'turned a corner,' in terms that the chemistry is starting to work itself out. Felton is getting comfortable running the system, players are emerging and falling into their roles, and STAT clearly has taken this team as his own (4th youngest in NBA) while Felton is leading with fire, emotion and passion.

Chandler & Gallo are buying in and seem glad the pressure is alleviated from their shoulders, while true leaders are also inspiring them to be great.

"The difference [from last season] is everybody cares," said Wilson Chandler, who had a wonderful 21-point night in which he bagged 4 of 5 3-pointers. "Losing for so long, it was like the norm. This year everybody wants to win."

While I had no doubt that going from Duhon to Felton would mean like 10 more wins, while I believed that STAT was an upgrade over D-LEE, I sort of took for granted the fact that this bunch of guys needed time to gel.

Heck, look at the HEAT (who lead NYK by a mere half game).

Not to mention, the Felton-Stat supporting cast (Fields, Mozgov, Douglas) a lot younger than the guys Duhon-Lee had (Harrington, Hughes, N8).

And for anyone who ever suffered a serious wrist injury, it's obvious that had an impact on Gallo early this season.

ANYWAY.... NOW THAT THIS PREAMBLE IS FINISHED, let me ask the question: WHAT TO DO WITH THE ROTATION?

People want to think that Randolph is in the dog house or that he got benched, I look at it the other way (like Walsh and coach hinted at).... AR was pulled from the rotation b/c he needs to work on his game and get used to what's expected from him. I can live with that IF THEY COACH HIM UP.

But we are 5-0 since the decision to remove his talents from the rotation.

We seem to be going with a tight 9-man rotation. Stat, Turiaf, Mozgov, Fields, Gallo, Chandler, Felton, Douglas and Walker.

The 9th man, Bill Walker, is only seeing 10 minutes really.

BUt now Curry is returning to practice and Azubuike has already returned. Both should be ready to enter the rotation next week.

Knicks are 8-8. On a 5-game winning streak. Won 5 in a row for the first time since Jan. 2006. Won 4 straight road games since 2001. methinks D'ant will be hesitant to sort of mess with things.

Let's be honest, Curry is competing with Mozgov to earn his minutes. Azu with Walker. SO, even if both crack into the lineup, it only means about 10 minutes a game anyway.

What should we do. Balancing act, no? Get Walker-Mozgov work and experience or play the proven vets who should give you more?

Imagine if Curry and Azubuike return to 75% of what they were at their peak. Even I have to conceede that adding the firepower of this duo would make the other 7 in the roation even more lethal.

Imagine being able to throw Curry out there when STAT comes out of the game. Keeping an interior scoring presence in the game. Imagine if Azu can be the SG we hope he can be. Running the floor and knocking down 3s. Let's not forget about his defense.

Imagine the 4th, with Douglas, Azu, Chandler, Turiaf... 4 good defenders!

So, do we slowly work Curry-Azu into the rotation. Waiting for the right moment (next game we come out flat and are losing). Get them acclimated into things. Are they part of the team this year?

Will D'ant go to an 11-man roation? Just rotating the pieces around Felton-Stat? Will Curry-Azu eat into the minutes (and thus banishing) MOz-Walker?

What do you think?

I think both should be given every chance to earn minutes.

I think IF Curry-Azu are 75% of what they once were, the Knicks should start:

Felton
Azubuike
Gallo
Stat
Curry

This, on paper, is our best starting lineup. Our bench would be sick with Chandler, Douglas, Turiaf and Fields, along with Mozgov and Walker getting burn when other need rest, are in foul trouble, or not playing well.

We could play many different types of lineups... But this starting 5 works b/c Felton runs the show, Azu and Gallo sit on wings waiting to pop a 3 or penetrate, Stat roams the elbow awaiting the P&R, while Curry sits on the block. You can't double STAT b/c he can just feed Curry for a dunk.

My closing, 4th quarter team would be Felton, Azu/Fields, Gallo/Chandler, STAT & Turiaf. These 7 in some mix depending on matchups.

After a 3-8 start, this is the best shape the Knicks have been in since Jan 2006. We have winnable 8 games coming up. We have 2 proven NBA players returning to action. We have plenty of options. VErything is falling in order.

BUt this is also a critical junction. We need to get above .500 and take advantage of the schedule. We need to coach up the kids, and we need to figure out (tinker with) rotation to get people involved, keep players fresh, motivated and involved, and help drive up price of some of our assets.

MIke will earn his money, but PLEASE don't stick with a tight 8-man rotation. We have depth... UTILIZE IT.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Mafrattack.

Way too much faith in Curry. He has a lot to soak in and a lot to sweat out before he is even eligible for slight consideration. And what about the ,previously at least, oft reported disdain shared between him and MD?

I can't fathom him being the 5 in a best situation line up. Even offensively.. He clogged the lane with ZBo, who is considerably less active than STAT. And how could he possibly NOT negate an inside-outside game as one of the league's most baffling shit passers? Tuffiaf has embraced that role with great results.

And what about establishing a defensive paint presence in the first quarter? Ronnie, as well as his passing, is the man for that job, clearly.

There's no way Curry even cracks garbage minutes, even seconds, IMO. And it's not like we need to play him under the premise of a necessary trade anymore. Not only does Curry own an $11.3 million expiring contract, but the Knicks already paid him half of that, as specified in his deal. So he?s worth the entire amount for cap purposes, but owed only half of it by any team that trades for him.

We have depth... UTILIZE IT.

We have a legit shot at maintaining a low seed come the post-season.... Don't waste it on Curry!

fattycurry.jpg

CoolClyde

no sauce for curry

you don't mess with a winning streak. Ant Rando stays in doghouse until Knicks need another body, Azubukake and Curry will get 8-10 minutes per (at SkyWalker/Moscow's expense), but not until Knicks need bodies (ie: a very fast-paced game, injuries, poor shooting, fouls,etc). then again, if any of aforementioned players do not contribute immediately, back to the bench.

we don't know how they're doing in practice, it's a pringle call.

i can't see Curry contributing, last time he was on the court, he looked like a beached whale who just learned to play. Knicks need to showcase his fat ass if they want to trade up.

:afro::smokin::afro:

iSaYughh

Starter
Ya ^

great post mafra. Except for this Eddie Curry faith and reliance.

This guy is TRASH. You honestly couldn't think of a more shameful, poisonous player in the NBA.

Even IF he was in peak form...Can you imagine that mentally weak, lazy, frail, perpetual slug in D'ants system? And d'ant dealing with his attitude for even a minute, in the prescbece of this young, PROUD team on the rise.

Plz God. No Curry.

The likely case is still that his diet is +10001 white castle burgers from even having to entertain the thought of him in our playing lineup.

mafra

Legend
Mafrattack.

Way too much faith in Curry. He has a lot to soak in and a lot to sweat out before he is even eligible for slight consideration. And what about the ,previously at least, oft reported disdain shared between him and MD?

I can't fathom him being the 5 in a best situation line up. Even offensively.. He clogged the lane with ZBo, who is considerably less active than STAT. And how could he possibly NOT negate an inside-outside game as one of the league's most baffling shit passers? Tuffiaf has embraced that role with great results.

And what about establishing a defensive paint presence in the first quarter? Ronnie, as well as his passing, is the man for that job, clearly.

There's no way Curry even cracks garbage minutes, even seconds, IMO. And it's not like we need to play him under the premise of a necessary trade anymore. Not only does Curry own an $11.3 million expiring contract, but the Knicks already paid him half of that, as specified in his deal. So he?s worth the entire amount for cap purposes, but owed only half of it by any team that trades for him.

We have depth... UTILIZE IT.

We have a legit shot at maintaining a low seed come the post-season.... Don't waste it on Curry!

fattycurry.jpg

I almost ruined my keyboard when I saw this picture. I almost spit coffee all over it laughing!

I know. Counting on Curry to do anthing than devour the food buffet in the locker room is foolish. Knowing EC, he'll practice for 6 days, complain that he's not getting minutes and then come up with laughing sickness or something.

BUT, here's my point. Mozgov has potential but really isn't ready to do much. I wouldn't mind unleashing the Russian for 6 hard fouls a night and then giving him a towel. And we all love Turiaf, but if he plays 20+ minutes a night we'll burn him out. He is an injury waiting to happen. I want to try to limit his minutes and keep him fresh.

But, perhaps you're correct. Better to start Turiaf and establish defense. And better to finish with Turiaf. But we still need a center to play in-between.

The difference between Zach and STAT is that Randolph needed the ball to go to him. STAT is more of a finisher. Amar'e is also a better passer. Curry wouldn;t clog the lane if he sat on the opposite post, while STAT starts on the other elbow.

It's more about what else do we have at center than it is to rely on Curry. That's my point. If he returns to practice this week, and plays himself into some sort of shape.... He should know the system b/c he's been here the whole time.

Most nights, Knicks sometimes struggle to find people to score at certain points, especially in half court sets. Curry might be a solution. Just another scoring option off the bench. I mean, with STAT he should be able to get 6 points a night easily.

OBVIOUSLY, with Azu's 3-point shot and defense, odds are he has a much better chance to crack the rotation, arn minutes and eventually start. But we have to see about that knee before we get our hopes up.

Just good to know we have options. BUT I WOULD TAKE IT SLOW. Don't mess with a good thing. But on a night we come out flat, and nothing is working, then I would throw both in and get some burn. See where they are.

p0nder

Starter
While Curry has been a disapointment, there is a real possibilty he could supplant Mozgov's minutes. Moz is very green and looks lost on the court, while providing a paint presence. It is possible that Curry could come back to form under the guidance of Mase, who has been brought in to personally try and get him back into game shape. If he can prove himself effective in the minutes he'll see I can see them taking away from Moz and giving to Curry. A Lot of "What If's" to get to that point tho. Not nessicarily a bad problem to have if it comes to pass.

More concerning is getting Azzy into the mix. With Fields playing at such a high level do you really want to take away from him? No. As Mafra mentioned he'll be competing with bill walker for minutes early on but he is a proven player with a lot of upside. I expect he'll be looking to crack into the line up on a more steady basis. Where then do Chandlers and Fields minutes go?

Fact of the matter is, we have depth. A LOT of depth. As i've mentioned before turning some of these middle of the pack players into a trade for a superstar (melo or CP3) would be in our best interest. It's hard to keep up consistent performance with a 11 or 12 man rotation and we are looking at such an issue. Interesting to see will be how MD will showcases talent and what Walsh can get done in the front office to secure a worthwhile trade. I can not see us standing pat as we draw closer to the deadline. I'll be surprised if nothing happens.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Curry

It is too bad that Miami has neither cap space nor assets -- other than the untouchable three stars -- to pick up Curry. They could use a pre-Zach Randolph Curry. If we ever buy Curry out, I will bet that Miami will promptly knock at his door.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I want to see Randolph in the rotation only because I think he has potential to be better, but it is true that his shot selection really needs work. Other than that, though, why don't they start him at Center when they face against a weaker team with less size? Yeah, you don't want to put Randolph up against Brook Lopez, but I'm sure he could hold his own against, say, the 76ers...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
you don't mess with a winning streak. Ant Rando stays in doghouse until Knicks need another body, Azubukake and Curry will get 8-10 minutes per (at SkyWalker/Moscow's expense), but not until Knicks need bodies (ie: a very fast-paced game, injuries, poor shooting, fouls,etc). then again, if any of aforementioned players do not contribute immediately, back to the bench.

we don't know how they're doing in practice, it's a pringle call.

i can't see Curry contributing, last time he was on the court, he looked like a beached whale who just learned to play. Knicks need to showcase his fat ass if they want to trade up.

:afro::smokin::afro:
lol

I hope he gets a few minutes just to see what he has. Although as long as we're winning no need to give him more than two minutes.

stuntmanmike

Benchwarmer
fields won't be coming out of the lineup that i can see he is a legit knick now. the obvious diff as of late as been felton of course. if they double and triple stat he has to and i mean HAS to hit the open j and as of late he has been and when they come out on him he is dishing. they were desperate for some easy road wins away from the boos at the garden. they seem to have gotten a rhythm and some confidence going... getting booed in the garden is harsh man... even if you're just a fan in seats it's harsh. goooo knicks

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Curry, Seriously?? I don't ever want to see the man play for us again!! Start em' Are you nuts??

Where are all of the NYers? The so-called knowledgeable fans. The rest of your post was fine but damn dude. No Curry ever, never, ever, never!

And Azzy can take Fields spot whenever he's ready. He's the best player we got in the trade w G-State. Fields has filled in admirably, but Azzy's better and would be more productive.

Last edited:

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Curry, Seriously?? I don't ever want to see the man play for us again!! Start em' Are you nuts??

Where are all of the NYers? The so-called knowledgeable fans. The rest of your post was fine but damn dude. No Curry ever, never, ever, never!

And Azzy can take Fields spot whenever he's ready. He's the best player we got in the trade w G-State. Fields has filled in admirably, but Azzy's better and would be more productive.

The only curry i'll be having is at a nice Indian place in Jackson Heights, the player no thanks. Curry's job is to be an expiring contract and warm the bench. Even if he was healthy he s not a D'Antoni, uptempo guy. As for Azzy, I don't want to ruin chemistry here, I say have him come off the bench until he gets back 100% and the team gets used too him out there (practice.) With the way Fields is playing, I'd rather have Azzy giving us more versatility and toughness to our second unit, Billy Walker play no defense..lol

LJ4ptplay

Starter
It is too bad that Miami has neither cap space nor assets -- other than the untouchable three stars -- to pick up Curry. They could use a pre-Zach Randolph Curry. If we ever buy Curry out, I will bet that Miami will promptly knock at his door.

This is a good point and I think Knicks management and all the Knick fans that wanted to gut the team for a Melo trade need to look closely at what's going on in Miami.

Miami has zero flexibility and zero depth. This is what we would become if we trade for Melo. Our depth is winning games for us.

Look at Miami box scores. The big 3 always get theirs but the other players are in single digits when they lose. The only time the Heat win is when one of the other players (Eddie House, Jones, etc) has a good game. And one injury can ruin the team's season.

Sign Melo in the offseason and become contenders or trade everybdy for Melo now and become perennial losers with zero flexibility.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Agreed. It seems the recipe to win is one SUPERSTAR, 1 or 2 BACKUP STARS, and a hell of a lot of good roleplayers.

We get Melo and we have our superstar, our backup star is Amar'e, and our good roleplayers are Gallo, Chandler, Turiaf, Mozgov, Felton, whatnot. I'm not even sure having CP3 is necessary...probably only necessary if we keep D'Antoni on as coach...

tiger0330

Legend
As far as Curry, I'll believe when I see it when and if he plays, he's pretty much proven he's worthless. Even when he had that breakout season under Zeke, he still couldn't rebound to save his ass.

D'Ants was more than likely going to bring back Az slowly even if the Knicks were losing, now that we're winning Az's comeback got a lot slower. Don't forget D'Ants likes tight rotations and you can't argue with him playing it like a hot hand.

KingCharles34

All Star
I dont think I even wanna see Curry get any playing time...I wanna see him gone. Part of me wants to see him get his fat ass on the court and earn some of his money but theres nothing he can do to earn his money. And we have a winning record right now, i dont want him to fukk that up. If we fall outta playoff contention and hes still on the team then I say play his fat ass 48 minutes and make him sweat some pounds off

*edit*

Im hyped for the return of Azuibuke :gony:

Kiyaman

Legend
When it comes to Eddy Curry Knick-Fans should know Isiah Thomas put Curry
on the injured-list in the 2007-8 season jus to showcase Zach Randolph for
40-mpg for the 2008 February trade deadline. The firing of Curry trainer coach
Mark Aquire was not a bright move during the 2008 offseason.

Would Curry have been injured the entire 2008-9 season if he was on
another NBA team? I doubt it.
Would Curry have gotten playingtime on the next NBA team in the
2009-10 season and 2010-11 season? that's a question which could
be best answered by Jordan Hill and Darko.

iSaYughh

Starter
When it comes to Eddy Curry Knick-Fans should know Isiah Thomas put Curry
on the injured-list in the 2007-8 season jus to showcase Zach Randolph for
40-mpg for the 2008 February trade deadline. The firing of Curry trainer coach
Mark Aquire was not a bright move during the 2008 offseason.

Would Curry have been injured the entire 2008-9 season if he was on
another NBA team? I doubt it.
Would Curry have gotten playingtime on the next NBA team in the
2009-10 season and 2010-11 season? that's a question which could
be best answered by Jordan Hill and Darko.

Cmon, Kiya....

Curry -- disgraceful, beached whale of an NBA player with a bad heart, a criminal rap of manrape, and aging

Vs. a 2nd year, high energy lotto pick; and a 25yr old 7ft 2nd overall who a whack GM paid big money to so obviously he's playing....

So Isiah just PUT Curry on the IR? Even if Isiah wanted to do that for the reasons you stated, I think Curry and the media would have something to say about it.

He's a shameless, disgraceful, waste of fatness that we mortaged a Knick future too. Please. No more. Let's not do this joke any more favors in his Knick legacy.

Possibly the worst, most poisonous NYK ever. Let's leave him be. In the past. Move forward.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
my guess is theres going to be a trade coming up before or around the deadline. may not be a major melo type deal but a deal nonetheless maybe for dalembert?? but we have a lot of pieces and not enough minutes to play them, im expecting a trade. those know who are going to be kept ( Fields, Felton, Dougie, Turiaf, looking like Gallo as well ) everyone else may be traded.

point is im excited right now just to be in this position but the way i see it dont trade for the hell of it, only if the right deal approaches