Gilbert Arenas

Short and sweet, I think if the Price for Melo is too high or den decides to keep him for whatever naive reason they have, Gilbert would be a nice sleeper trade Donnie could probably pull off, that would likely cost us Curry and a bit player. Only thing is Im not sure what cap implications that would mean for us as far as getting Melo if Den holds him. But Gilbert is playing well with wall and in this system would probably go nutty. Him and Felt... I dont think the league would be rdy for that with Stat, honestly. Thoughts?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i wouldnt mind it but start him over fields? and as long as the price isnt high im all for it no point to give a lot of a one year rental. i still think we should just wait it out and see what happens with the melo situation if anything wait till the summer and get him. otherwise we should learn from the tmac scenario where we gave a lot to get him and mac didnt give us much. arenas i wouldnt mind if its a low price like maybe a second rounder and like curry or something otherwise no thank you

Another headcase? No thanks, we are still trying to get over Marbury.

While Gil is a little cooky, I think his ability would be worth a short term gamble. He wont be the man on the team, just one, can play the one and two, and does not need to have plays ran for him to be effective in this offense. Also means that we can use him to spell Felton at the 1 and keep Douglas in strict scorers mentality. Would add to our bench moving Fields to reserve. We get deeper and a lot better very cheap. Imagine the quagmire (Clyde) it puts a defense in, Gallo on one side, Gilbert the other, stat and Felton workin pnr... talk about spreading the floor.

I still want Melo, but its just that, a want. What our team really NEEDS is a bonafide 2. Gilbert solves that and more

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Uhh... doesn't he still have a few years left on his monstrous contract? Think it's upwards of 20 mill per so we'd need to give alot more than curry contract for salary match, and it would take us out of any carmelo/paul/williams possibilities next couple of years. If Gil was expiring then sure I would look into it, but then why would Washington be interested

Uhh... doesn't he still have a few years left on his monstrous contract? Think it's upwards of 20 mill per so we'd need to give alot more than curry contract for salary match, and it would take us out of any carmelo/paul/williams possibilities next couple of years. If Gil was expiring then sure I would look into it, but then why would Washington be interested

I stated previously was not sure abt his $. I just know Wa is gonna trade him, and he could help. N if we dont get Melo, we wont get Paul or Williams anyways. May not get them regardless. Felton may play well enough to not warrant it.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
His contract is too terrible. It's probably one of the worst in the league right now, what with him getting 20+ million over the next 4 years...

HELL no. Ruins salary cap space FOREVER. Moves like this are what KILL teams' prospects...

His contract is too terrible. It's probably one of the worst in the league right now, what with him getting 20+ million over the next 4 years...

HELL no. Ruins salary cap space FOREVER. Moves like this are what KILL teams' prospects...

He got 4 years 80 left? Sheesh. Yea thats too much for him. 2 yrs 40 woulda been doable imo tho. He would light it up in this O tho

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah he's got 40 years and a backloaded 80 million left (he's owed 22.3 million in 2013-2014). What makes it rough is that there's a player option in his 3rd year, but with the money he's making I doubt he's going to pass up the player option, so if you trade for him you're basically stuck with his salary for the next 4 years (and it starts at 17.7 million and just keeps going up to 22.3 million)

So yeah. No Gilbert. Hell no.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Yea Agent Zero signed a 6 year 111 million dollar contract 2 years ago. Theres a lot of years and money left on the contract. Not only has he been a headcase but he has not produced as much as he used to before his knee injuries.

So no thanks to Gil.

petescud

Starter
Don't want him for that kinda money.....no way....yes, if he wasn't a head case and wasn't making 20 mil a year

p0nder

Starter
He was once looked to as a franchise player but can't be counted on for that any more. We'll see how his wizards do this year. I don't expect that he'll look like a 20 mill a year player at the end of this season.

Paul1355

All Star
Short and sweet, I think if the Price for Melo is too high or den decides to keep him for whatever naive reason they have, Gilbert would be a nice sleeper trade Donnie could probably pull off, that would likely cost us Curry and a bit player. Only thing is Im not sure what cap implications that would mean for us as far as getting Melo if Den holds him. But Gilbert is playing well with wall and in this system would probably go nutty. Him and Felt... I dont think the league would be rdy for that with Stat, honestly. Thoughts?
Arenas believe it or not, can easily fit on this team.

He is a jokester, so much so that he thought it was "funny" to bring a gun to work one day...(who knows maybe he brought it everyday). Being a jokester he will be the smaller turiaf. He has a personaility that would actually be accpeted and liked in NY. He is just the guy to laugh at or with 24/7 to bring chemsitry to an even greater level. Chemsitry=Success

He still has game. His contract is steep and long but He is good. He scores, he dishes, he plays defense, he is really smart on the court-off is another story. He is clutch as anybody when he gets his outside shot going.

Arenas can change an entire game single handedly. No one can say no to this one, this guy is so well known because of his ability to diminate basketball games. Maybe Arenas is Marbury part 2 but no one questioned Marbury's skills and talent, it was his attitude and personaility.

Gilbert is not the same personality as Marbury. He is dumb in his own way but can dominate games nonetheless. He is sorry for what he did, maybe he isnt so serious about being sorry but he knows he cant be that dumb again or he is done.

Imagine this lineup

Felton
Arenas
Melo
Amare
Turiaf

Next year

This team would destroy people, screw the Heat, they are not stopping this onslaught. The speed, quickness, clutch shooting, pure skill, good IQ, decently defended, and fast court Knick team just needs to establish a pick and roll, then we will be really good adn with amazing players.

Im for Arenas being a Knick one day.

petescud

Starter
You make valid points but do you really want to pay him 20 mil a year ..... also how do you see Melo and Gilbert. That can't happen with a cap, can it. You'd have then 3 players making 20+ million a year, plus what we have already. Unless its possible with Curry's expiring contract

Arenas believe it or not, can easily fit on this team.

He is a jokester, so much so that he thought it was "funny" to bring a gun to work one day...(who knows maybe he brought it everyday). Being a jokester he will be the smaller turiaf. He has a personaility that would actually be accpeted and liked in NY. He is just the guy to laugh at or with 24/7 to bring chemsitry to an even greater level. Chemsitry=Success

He still has game. His contract is steep and long but He is good. He scores, he dishes, he plays defense, he is really smart on the court-off is another story. He is clutch as anybody when he gets his outside shot going.

Arenas can change an entire game single handedly. No one can say no to this one, this guy is so well known because of his ability to diminate basketball games. Maybe Arenas is Marbury part 2 but no one questioned Marbury's skills and talent, it was his attitude and personaility.

Gilbert is not the same personality as Marbury. He is dumb in his own way but can dominate games nonetheless. He is sorry for what he did, maybe he isnt so serious about being sorry but he knows he cant be that dumb again or he is done.

Imagine this lineup

Felton
Arenas
Melo
Amare
Turiaf

Next year

This team would destroy people, screw the Heat, they are not stopping this onslaught. The speed, quickness, clutch shooting, pure skill, good IQ, decently defended, and fast court Knick team just needs to establish a pick and roll, then we will be really good adn with amazing players.

Im for Arenas being a Knick one day.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
You make valid points but do you really want to pay him 20 mil a year ..... also how do you see Melo and Gilbert. That can't happen with a cap, can it. You'd have then 3 players making 20+ million a year, plus what we have already. Unless its possible with Curry's expiring contract

Yea Paul, how in the world would we be getting Melo with Arenas's albatross contract on board?

Let's not forget Arenas has NOT been the same since those knee injuries. I don't know why people on this forum have a liking towards him.

tiger0330

Legend
If his contract was for 20M for the remaining 4 years instead of for a single year I wouldn't want him. He hasn't been hungry since he left the hood, have you guys forgotten? Ditching practice by faking an injury, pulling a gun in a locker room along with being made of glass and showing no leadership skills whatsoever. The Wiz will never win anything with him on the team. There is a reason whenever he does something, his teammates always comment that it's Gil being Gil. Certified knucklehead.

Give me a guy like Stat who cares about winning and walks the the walk. He not only can play but he is also no wall flower when it comes to leading the team. Give me guys like him, Nash, Chris Paul, Lebron, KG any day over Arenas, Rashard Lewis, Marbury, Stromile Swift etc.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If we want a SG would can just get Iverson for 1.something million next year.

As for Gilbert, the main concern for me is injuries. Off the court - well people worried about Sprewell and look how that turned out.

I rather get Melo/Gasol/Iverson.

Last edited:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
If we want a SG would can just get Iverson for 1.something million next year.

As for Gilbert, the main concern for me is injuries. Off the court - well people worried about Sprewell and look how that turned out.

Iverson??? He's one of the last players I want to see in a Knicks uniform. Look at how well the T-Mac experiment worked for us. No thanks to A.I, he can enjoy his stay in Turkey.

iSaYughh

Starter

Except for Ivonson, stuff, agree.

His injury is the killer. You can't mix that shit with *that* contract. His attitude is the poisonous cherry on top. Don't want that to possibly make him lazy or lax in rehabbing or whatever. Even if it's just a PR thing. Nightmare.

If we want a recently injured or high-reward, low-risk, but legit SG we get Michael Redd this off season. On the cheap.

Or we see if Melo can play the 2 (ideal).

SG isn't our main prob, either. Especially with Fields only developing (same for Walker, even Douglas).

We need a 5. Our production right now is absurdly low. Let's do what it takes to get M. Gasol (I guess Noah and even Horford are locked up)