Gilbert Arenas

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Melo is the target.... My only concern is that with the CBA coming up and it is starting to look like there might be a lock out... The Knicks might want to consider an alternative move to pull off at the trade deadline. Nothing so lucrative like Arena's contract but maybe someone like JR smith....

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Why don't we see how Landry Fields is playing at the break before we start talking about taking JR Smith or Gilbert Arenas on? We don't need a team cancer.

In the case of Smith, is he really going to be THAT much better than Fields? Smith is a better but less efficient scorer who only hit 41% of his shots last year and he's also a far worse rebounder than Fields is.

I say we keep Fields...

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
I would be wiling to take a smaller gamble much like the way L.A. took on Ron Artest. They got him on the cheap, and he wouldn;t be counted on as much as Gilbert would be if he was to come to the Knicks. Nobody is arguing over his ability, but I think Gilbert is better off coming to a market that desperately needs a star and is willing to overpay. I'd rather go for broke on Paul and Melo.

KNICKS2012

Rookie
No more wasting money on non-game changer players. Arenas is a great player don't get me wrong, but hes injury prone. His best games are way behind him, and again his contract is huge! I def wouldn't mind him being on the team, because hes talented, but not at the cost of Melo. Btw, I know he was sick yesterday, but after that game winner he just walked off.. didnt really seem to excited, I think hes def over denver.. and rdy to come to the big apple.

clumsy

Rotation player
O.J. Mayo is on the block right now and his contract is only like 5-6 mil this year and next year. I'd rather take a chance on him.

I think it's a bad strategy taking players at the tail end of their primes or coming off of Injury when you aren't a contender. As well as Amare has been playing he is kinda a high risk player too. You can't have both of your best players being high risk candidates for falling off.

iSaYughh

Starter
O.J. Mayo is on the block right now and his contract is only like 5-6 mil this year and next year. I'd rather take a chance on him.

I think it's a bad strategy taking players at the tail end of their primes or coming off of Injury when you aren't a contender. As well as Amare has been playing he is kinda a high risk player too. You can't have both of your best players being high risk candidates for falling off.

Mayo is really on the block? I wouldn't hate it, even though i think our sg woes are way o erhyped versus the very real blackhole we have at starting center.

In going after Melody too, its more important to get a legit C like Gasol w any remaining cap wiggleroom.

Tho i wouldn't hate plugging in Mayo and Gasoline to our team if we somehow whiffed on Melo.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
How well is Mayo playing? I heard that he shoots too much and such. Has he been getting better? I haven't seen too much of him and would like to hear from somebody who did see him quite a bit.

Also, how is Gasol on defense? I know he's a good offensive player, but we need defense in our center, so I got to know.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Why don't we see how Landry Fields is playing at the break before we start talking about taking JR Smith or Gilbert Arenas on? We don't need a team cancer.

In the case of Smith, is he really going to be THAT much better than Fields? Smith is a better but less efficient scorer who only hit 41% of his shots last year and he's also a far worse rebounder than Fields is.

I say we keep Fields...

Right now Fields looks like he will be a solid player in the NBA but we have seen way to many times how players can have a good rookie season and go nowhere. Walt Fraizer said he thinks Fields will be a Matt Barnes type player and that would be great. But, the difference with JR Smith is he can be a game changer. Is Smith consistent? No, but we have seen Smith take over, never mind his tremendous finishes; very athletic. Also, he is about 7 mil a year so not a bank breaker either....

iSaYughh

Starter
How well is Mayo playing? I heard that he shoots too much and such. Has he been getting better? I haven't seen too much of him and would like to hear from somebody who did see him quite a bit.

Also, how is Gasol on defense? I know he's a good offensive player, but we need defense in our center, so I got to know.

He's been doing well. Better than in the past. They put him to bench, to come off from there. He's still getting his minutes. And he's improved a lot in efficiency and mentality since going to bench. He's be a pure sg for us. Still young so can improve. But seems like he's settled into being a 17-19ppg, 3-4rbd, 3-4asst player. With range, and some athleticism and defensive potential. Which is pretty sweet, especially still being so young, if he can just solidify his game some and mature a bit (as it seems he is).

I suspect a lot comes from hype n expectations. He was a #4 pick(?), and had a lot of hype to be the next greets young Joe Johnson or whatever star player. And he settled into a good but not really great player on a bad team in a shit city. Messed with him some and let some bad habits get created and go unfixed. Shooting too much, not being a complete player on the court, numbers aside.

If he's traded now I suspect whoever gets him will be getting him for like 35cents on the dollar. So....maybe we should. Sign n trade Chandler and Fields I bet they'd want. Or Gallo straight up.

Felton
Mayo
Melo
STAT

Is really quite filthy. Might preclude us from getting Gasol, too, however. Then we pray Moz and AR can become productive.

Gasol I don't know so much about, stats aside. But I have a friend in Memphis who watches and raves about him. Says he's athletic and plays D, but can be lazy, which supposedly is partly due to him not wanting to be there.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
He's been doing well. Better than in the past. They put him to bench, to come off from there. He's still getting his minutes. And he's improved a lot in efficiency and mentality since going to bench. He's be a pure sg for us. Still young so can improve. But seems like he's settled into being a 17-19ppg, 3-4rbd, 3-4asst player. With range, and some athleticism and defensive potential. Which is pretty sweet, especially still being so young, if he can just solidify his game some and mature a bit (as it seems he is).

I suspect a lot comes from hype n expectations. He was a #4 pick(?), and had a lot of hype to be the next greets young Joe Johnson or whatever star player. And he settled into a good but not really great player on a bad team in a shit city. Messed with him some and let some bad habits get created and go unfixed. Shooting too much, not being a complete player on the court, numbers aside.

If he's traded now I suspect whoever gets him will be getting him for like 35cents on the dollar. So....maybe we should. Sign n trade Chandler and Fields I bet they'd want. Or Gallo straight up.

Felton
Mayo
Melo
STAT

Is really quite filthy. Might preclude us from getting Gasol, too, however. Then we pray Moz and AR can become productive.

Gasol I don't know so much about, stats aside. But I have a friend in Memphis who watches and raves about him. Says he's athletic and plays D, but can be lazy, which supposedly is partly due to him not wanting to be there.
Thanks for the reply.

Well that's good to hear he's improved a lot. Of course, I still have to watch more of him, and I can thanks to my trusty League Pass.

We definitely have to see how Gallo, Fields, Chandler play by the trade deadline before we look into him.

As for Gasol being supposedly lazy, don't like to hear that. Have to give it your all know matter where you are. Hopefully that's not true. Glad to hear he plays D.

iSaYughh

Starter
Thanks for the reply.

Well that's good to hear he's improved a lot. Of course, I still have to watch more of him, and I can thanks to my trusty League Pass.

We definitely have to see how Gallo, Fields, Chandler play by the trade deadline before we look into him.

As for Gasol being supposedly lazy, don't like to hear that. Have to give it your all know matter where you are. Hopefully that's not true. Glad to hear he plays D.

Ya. Np. Like Mayo was kinda playing like dog early this yr, but he's been turning it on since going to bench. Just seems like a bad spot with him in Memphis all-around. Mayo doesn't get much respect for some reason no matter. Maybe bc of his hype and draft slot, and that he was so solid n consistent his first years.

I like the guy. Hope he does get traded.

clumsy

Rotation player
Reason Mayo is on the block is because he was performing poorly this year. Actually it's why they had to put him on the bench.

It could be one of those cases where he just needs a change of scenery. His contract also isn't obscene, so if he sucks, then it's not that bad. We aren't a contender this year anyway. High reward, low risk move.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Getting OJ Mayo would be a great move. He almost won Rookie of the Year a couple years ago...he'd be a great piece to add to a young team. He plays good defense and is an excellent scorer, he's athletic...

I wonder if Wilson Chandler gets it done? I was opposed to trading Chandler for Rudy Fernandez because I don't think that's worth it, but I think if we could swap Chandler for Mayo that'd be a pretty good deal, wouldn't you say?

iSaYughh

Starter
Getting OJ Mayo would be a great move. He almost won Rookie of the Year a couple years ago...he'd be a great piece to add to a young team. He plays good defense and is an excellent scorer, he's athletic...

I wonder if Wilson Chandler gets it done? I was opposed to trading Chandler for Rudy Fernandez because I don't think that's worth it, but I think if we could swap Chandler for Mayo that'd be a pretty good deal, wouldn't you say?

Exactly. I feel a sign n traded Wilson and two 2nds gets it done for sure. Wilson is a type of guy who'd fit much better in Memphis -- not just as a player, but as a person/mentality more than anything.

I think Wilson would make a fine NYK, too. But that's the point; he's a melo dude who really isn't at all an ego maniac or head case.

I could see him really thriving in Memphis. It does likely preclude us from signing both Melo and Gasol...

It'd be ballsy, but trading for Mayo, signing Gasol. Then banking to go hard after CP3 would be insane. Maybe stupid.

But CP3 would *have* to be frothing if he ever thought he could truly sign onto:

CP3
Mayo
Gallo
STAT
M.Gasol

Fields, Douglas, Moz, Walker, Turiaf on the bench

That could really be the best team the NBA's seen in the past decade. We'd have a 3-5 yr window of pure dominance and glory.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Exactly. I feel a sign n traded Wilson and two 2nds gets it done for sure. Wilson is a type of guy who'd fit much better in Memphis -- not just as a player, but as a person/mentality more than anything.

I think Wilson would make a fine NYK, too. But that's the point; he's a melo dude who really isn't at all an ego maniac or head case.

I could see him really thriving in Memphis. It does likely preclude us from signing both Melo and Gasol...

It'd be ballsy, but trading for Mayo, signing Gasol. Then banking to go hard after CP3 would be insane. Maybe stupid.

But CP3 would *have* to be frothing if he ever thought he could truly sign onto:

CP3
Mayo
Gallo
STAT
M.Gasol

That could really be the best team the NBA's seen in the past decade. We'd have a 3-5 yr window of pure dominance and glory.

That starting L is filthy.. Oh man we would do teams dirty w that 5.

CP3
Mayo
Gallo
STAT
M.Gasol

God damn that team would be way better than the super friends.

Cp3 has Belineli playing respectable imagine what he would do for Gallo