Knicks scouting 7'1" Tunisian center

phantom9000

Benchwarmer
Knicks director of international scouting, Kevin Wilson, has been very impressed watching Salah Mejri, a 7'1" center from Jendouba, Tunisia (iBasketball). "I know that NBA scouts descend to Antwerp," said the 24-year-old Mejri, who is currently playing for the Antwerp Giants pro basketball club based in Belgium. "It's nice to hear. I must, however, work hard, listen to the coaches and learn to travel. Last week I was tired after the trip to Romania."

Over the summer, Mejri played for the Tunisian national team at the FIBA World Championship and averaged 7.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. And how did they do? They went 0-5 and lost to Team USA in their final game, 92-57, in which Mejri scored 0 points, but he did grab eight boards. Currently on NBADraft.net, Mejri, who is also being looked at by the Mavericks, is not projected to be drafted in 2011 or 2012. On one message board, a user by the name of KnicksLost wrote "Mozgov??" If and when he does get picked, he'll be the first Tunisian-born player to make it to the NBA

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/1236/knicks-scouting-71-tunisian-center

CoolClyde

what the fug?

what's the point? Knicks spent a million bucks on Jerome Jordan, who decided to go to Serbia instead of sitting on the d'ogbench, or playing in D' League. unless Knicks get a proven center, ain't no sense bringing in another tall foreigner with half a clue how to play in the NBA. sorry Charlie the Tunisian.
:boohoo:

what's the point? Knicks spent a million bucks on Jerome Jordan, who decided to go to Serbia instead of sitting on the d'ogbench, or playing in D' League. unless Knicks get a proven center, ain't no sense bringing in another tall foreigner with half a clue how to play in the NBA. sorry Charlie the Tunisian.
:boohoo:
Probably won't amount to anything. It's just another prospect we'll have in mind as a backup plan should Mozgov fail, we need extra help at C, etc. Never can have too many backup plans.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah it's just a backup plan.

Can't say too much about it because he's a foreign player and you can't just take a 7-footer and stick him in the NBA and expect much, if anything at all. We don't want to make like idiots and give him a contract or anything like that...the old Desagana Diop trap

elcol

Rotation player
lets just listen to kukoc here because he's an educated euro. doesn't sound like a good idea.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I mean he's Tunisian. Odds are he has a basketball career cause he's really tall and that's all there is to it. He's playing professionally in Belgium...how many good players have ever come out of the Belgian League?

Let's be honest he's going to be about as valuable as Jerome James

kukoc7

Benchwarmer
As I remember the only player with a decent career coming out from the belgian League is Van Den Spiegel (he played in Italy, Russia and Spain).
If you want to scout young perspective player in europe you need to look at the ex-Jugoslavia countries (croatia, serbia, montenegro, ecc) or Russia-Lituania.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Or you go over to the Spanish league which is where a lot of good European players find themselves (Sabonis, the Gasols, Petrovic, Varejao, etc.) all came out of the Spanish league (and obviously the Spanish players like Rudy Fernandez and whatnot all came out of there as well)

tiger0330

Legend
Are you joking, got tired traveling to to Romania!! Wait till he plays a west coast back to back in the NBA, don't know much about him but that says a lot that the odds of him making it in the NBA are low.