Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How intelligent are chimpanzees?

Default How intelligent are chimpanzees?

Examples of Kanzi's behavior:

In an outing in the Georgia woods, Kanzi touched the symbols for "marshmallows" and "fire." Susan Savage-Rumbaugh said in an interview that, "Given matches and marshmallows, Kanzi snapped twigs for a fire, lit them with the matches and toasted the marshmallows on a stick."

Paul Raffaele, at Savage-Rumbaugh's request, performed a Maori War Dance for the Bonobos. This dance includes thigh-slapping, chest-thumping, and hollering. Almost all the bonobos present interpreted this as an aggressive display, and reacted with loud screams, tooth-baring, and pounding the walls and floor. All but Kanzi, who remained perfectly calm; he then communicated with Savage-Rumbaugh using bonobo vocalizations; Savage-Rumbaugh understood these vocalizations, and said to Raffaele "he'd like you to do it again just for him, in a room out back, so the others won't get upset. So a private performance in another room was successfully, peacefully and happily carried out.

Sue Savage-Rumbaugh has observed Kanzi in communication to his sister. In this experiment, Kanzi was kept in a separate room of the Great Ape Project and shown some yogurt. Kanzi started vocalizing the word "yogurt" in an unknown "language"; his sister, who could not see the yogurt, then pointed to the lexigram for yogurt.

Kanzi's accomplishments also include tool use and tool crafting. Kanzi is an accomplished stone tool maker and is quite proud of his ability to flake Oldowan style cutting knives. He learned this skill from Dr. Nick Toth, who is an anthropologist with the Stone Age Institute in Bloomington, Indiana. The stone knives Kanzi creates are very sharp and can cut animal hide and thick ropes. * In one demonstration shown on the television show Champions of the Wild, Kanzi was shown playing the arcade game Pac-Man and understanding how to beat it.

I can certainly say that chimps are smarter than many of the members of this forum...

On a serious note, chimps are smart and closely related humans. I don't how people can look at these animals and deny the existence of evolution or that we have a common ancestry.

Veteran

Because people are not monkeys. So they've taught monkeys a few tricks. Dogs understand language too. Tell one to sit. Doesnt make us dogs. The fact that the monkeys have to have assistance from a higher being only lends credence to the biblical account which God places all animals under human care. But when u can mate with a monkey, then we'll talk seriously.

Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    Because people are not monkeys. So they've taught monkeys a few tricks. Dogs understand language too. Tell one to sit. Doesnt make us dogs. The fact that the monkeys have to have assistance from a higher being only lends credence to the biblical account which God places all animals under human care. But when u can mate with a monkey, then we'll talk seriously.
    Why is a monkey and a man mating so important to you? That doesn't make any sense. Elk and deer can't mate.

No one said people are monkeys. No one said we came from monkeys.

Can't you at least appreciate the intelligence of a chimpanzee? It's much more than language.

Veteran

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Why is a monkey and a man mating so important to you? That doesn't make any sense. Elk and deer can't mate.

No one said people are monkeys. No one said we came from monkeys.

Can't you at least appreciate the intelligence of a chimpanzee? It's much more than language.

Because u believe we evolved from an unfounded common ancestor, no one will ever find. And because evolution makes it appear that we evolved from primate to human. Primates are monkeys.

I appreciate all forms of life for what they are. Thats impressive. But a few impressive tricks is not enough to convince me monkeys is my peoples.

Because u believe we evolved from an unfounded common ancestor, no one will ever find. And because evolution makes it appear that we evolved from primate to human. Primates are monkeys.

I appreciate all forms of life for what they are. Thats impressive. But a few impressive tricks is not enough to convince me monkeys is my peoples.
    It's like you haven't even tried to understand a single thing.

Genetic drift and speciation are facts. They have been observed in nature. So what you ask as proof is beyond ridiculous and only further displays your lack of understanding.

How about from now on stick to the religious stuff and don't bother commenting on the scientific stuff. Ok? It's obvious you don't want to learn.

Veteran

It's like you haven't even tried to understand a single thing.

Genetic drift and speciation are facts. They have been observed in nature. So what you ask as proof is beyond ridiculous and only further displays your lack of understanding.

How about from now on stick to the religious stuff and don't bother commenting on the scientific stuff. Ok? It's obvious you don't want to learn.
    So of all of this wer fact, where is the common ancestor?

So of all of this wer fact, where is the common ancestor?
    I've been over this a million times with you. There is no reason to repeat myself for the millionth time. (see previous threads)

Veteran

He doesnt exist.

He doesnt exist.
    Yes, it does. I have evidence. You have zero evidence. Plain and simple. No need to further discuss this.

Veteran

Yes, it does. I have evidence. You have zero evidence. Plain and simple. No need to further discuss this.
    You found the common ancestor? I think not. U want God to appear before ur eyes to believe, but ur fine believing in a mythical common ancestor u, nor anyone else will ever find. Ur meanwhile, the preaching work Jesus said would mark his existence goes on in ront ur very eyes and u like "no it aint". And the religious are dillusional.

You found the common ancestor? I think not. U want God to appear before ur eyes to believe, but ur fine believing in a mythical common ancestor u, nor anyone else will ever find. Ur meanwhile, the preaching work Jesus said would mark his existence goes on in ront ur very eyes and u like "no it aint". And the religious are dillusional.
    Like I said, no need to further discuss this.

Still waiting for the world to end. You've been telling me it's going to end for the past three years. Still nothing. You'll see. I guarantee it won't happen in your lifetime. With 100% certainty. Eventually you'll see you were wrong.

Until then there is no need for you to bother discussing scientific debates. Please stay out of them from now on. Thank you.

Veteran

Like I said, no need to further discuss this.

Still waiting for the world to end. You've been telling me it's going to end for the past three years. Still nothing. You'll see. I guarantee it won't happen in your lifetime. With 100% certainty. Eventually you'll see you were wrong.

Until then there is no need for you to bother discussing scientific debates. Please stay out of them from now on. Thank you.
    Listen at you, as if you are a measuring stick for intelligent analysis! You cant even understand biblical simplicities, which an avg 3rd grader could store mentally for a lifetime.

The world will end very soon. Its collapsing all around us. Jesus said it will be like Noahs day. Men were partying and drinking amd havig a good time, and took no note until the end came. Keep that in mind.

Listen at you, as if you are a measuring stick for intelligent analysis! You cant even understand biblical simplicities, which an avg 3rd grader could store mentally for a lifetime.

The world will end very soon. Its collapsing all around us. Jesus said it will be like Noahs day. Men were partying and drinking amd havig a good time, and took no note until the end came. Keep that in mind.
    Ok, will do.

Keep in mind the facts and evidence I have given you that have proven your religion to be false when 5 years have passed, 10 years, 15 years, on your deathbed? Someday you'll see. I'll keep reminding you. You people need to be held accountable so the human species can move on and stop capitulating to silly ancient superstitions.

And the fact that Jesus speaks of Noah only proves Jesus was not the son of God. Noah's Arc is impossible. I have proven this to you. Impossible genetically and mathematically. If Jesus was the son of God he would have known the story of Noah's Arc was false, hence Jesus was just another human being living in a time when people didn't understand genetics, speciation, etc.

Veteran

So how did Jesus know that a preaching work would be done worldwide, similar to his? Guessed?