Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fields Named EC Rookie Of The Month

Nyk Logo Fields Named EC Rookie Of The Month

Knicks' Landry Fields named Eastern Conference rookie of the month
    BY FRANK ISOLA

Donnie Walsh didn't bring LeBron James to New York but it's starting to look like the Knicks president had a solid offseason.

Amar'e Stoudemire and Raymond Felton are both solid pick-ups and the biggest surprise thus far has been rookie Landry Fields, who was drafted 39th overall last June.

On Wednesday, Fields was named Eastern Conference rookie of the month. He ranks fourth among rookies in scoring (10.8 ppg), second in rebounding (7.1 rpg), eighth in assists (1.6 apg) and second in field goal percentage (.544). Fields has started all 19 games for the Knicks this season and he leads all NBA guards in rebounds.

The Knicks have had a recent good run of late picks; Isiah Thomas drafted Trevor Ariza in the second round and selected David Lee with the last pick of the first round. Last season, Walsh purchased the Lakers first round pick and used it to select Toney Douglas.

Scouting and player development are under-rated aspects of building a team. Yes, Walsh missed on Brandon Jennings last season but he's drafted solid role players that make a team complete.

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Congratulations, Fields. Very happy for him and for us. I love watching him play.

Drafted at 39...my favorite number.

Great Pick up....Congrats Landry

Does anyone else get a kick out of him wearing the number 6 jersey besides myself?

Isn't it funny that, prior to the pre-season, the talk of our second round selections was Rautins, who can't play worth a damn? Rautins even had newspaper articles written about him, and Fields was 'the other guy.'

Now, he's looking like he should have been a lottery pick: strong, crafty, athletic, solid 3rd or 4th option player.

Do you guys think we would have been wise enough to give Fields playing time in summer league and pre-season and then keep him, if we had first round picks, considering how many second round picks are viewed, in contrast with first rounder?

Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Isn't it funny that, prior to the pre-season, the talk of our second round selections was Rautins, who can't play worth a damn? Rautins even had newspaper articles written about him, and Fields was 'the other guy.'

Now, he's looking like he should have been a lottery pick: strong, crafty, athletic, solid 3rd or 4th option player.

Do you guys think we would have been wise enough to give Fields playing time in summer league and pre-season and then keep him, if we had first round picks, considering how many second round picks are viewed, in contrast with first rounder?
    He showed his skills in summer camp so I think he would have earned a spot either way. (unless our 1st rounder was somehow dominant and overshadowed everything)

I remember being perplexed when we heard FIELDS being announced... WHO?

BUt look at us now. You see, it's not only I-Thomas who can draft. Walsh struck gold with Douglas-Fields.

Imagine if we had Lopez-Jennings to go with them? Just kiding.... Sort of.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

boy was i infuriated with this pick way back when. i was screaming at the top of my lungs and calling walsh names in both arabic and english( they werent pleasant words ). but i must say im glad to be taking back my words this kid is a genius on the court and gets better with seemingly every touch he gets.

to donnie for this diamond of a find, we needed on of those finds and we got it.

Veteran

Yeah I remember being pissed as hell as well - we drafted some scrub PG withi no potential out of Syracuse and a no-name out of Stanford but...man, Walsh struck gold.

This is why 2nd round picks ARE important.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Yeah I remember being pissed as hell as well - we drafted some scrub PG withi no potential out of Syracuse and a no-name out of Stanford but...man, Walsh struck gold.

This is why 2nd round picks ARE important.
    he's going to be up there with all the best 2nd rounders of all time, that includes Ginobli, Boozer, Arenas, Redd, Ellis etc.

Superstar

Default Landry Fields

One of the great things about Fields is that he puts up his impressive numbers without interfering with the strengths of the rest of the "team." He complements everyone; he is no prima donna, and he makes very few mistakes. He is a consummate team player. He provides a synergy which increases his real value well above his impressive numbers.

Although Melo is an absolute stud on offense, I question the extent to which he and Amar'e would complement each other. We should do everything we can to hang on to Fields.

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    He showed his skills in summer camp so I think he would have earned a spot either way. (unless our 1st rounder was somehow dominant and overshadowed everything)
    It's probably good we didn't get a first-rounder; otherwise, we likely would have waived Fields, a second-rounder, and missed out on this solid player.

With a first-rounder on our roster, he might not even have gotten playing time in summer league or pre-season, without which he could not have shown his skills and earned a spot on the team.

Without Fields, we're definitely not a .500+ team.

beat me to it

fyi fields FG% has dropped only 3% since i called him out on here

not bad for a rookie

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    One of the great things about Fields is that he puts up his impressive numbers without interfering with the strengths of the rest of the "team." He complements everyone; he is no prima donna, and he makes very few mistakes. He is a consummate team player. He provides a synergy which increases his real value well above his impressive numbers.

Although Melo is an absolute stud on offense, I question the extent to which he and Amar'e would complement each other. We should do everything we can to hang on to Fields.
    Oldtimer >