Slow recovery, rehab for Knicks' Azubuike

Toons

is the Bo$$
Kelenna Azubuike has tried to be patient with the arduous recovery process involving his torn left patella. Now he faces the frustration of having to wait even longer.

Azubuike, 26, has been practicing with the Knicks since mid-November, but the knee has not responded well. It is likely he'll be re-examined to determine the next step in his rehabilitation.

"He's not ready physically,'' Mike D'Antoni said last night. "He's not there yet.''
BLOG: Alan Hahn's 'The Knicks Fix'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The concern is about whether he will ever get there. Patella injuries are extremely difficult to come back from, as proven by Kenyon Martin's slow return to the Nuggets.

But it's very different for a guard such as Azubuike, who relies so much on quickness and explosion. His greatest assets are his strength and ability to defend at shooting guard, which is something, even with the impressive play by rookie Landry Fields, the Knicks could use. But it's only useful when he's at full strength.

"If you watch him scrimmage, he doesn't have the pop, and it's going to be a while before he gets it back,'' D'Antoni said. "He can scrimmage, but he's not strong enough or able to go sideways or able to have an NBA physical talent level.''

When the Knicks acquired Azubuike from Golden State with Anthony Randolph and Ronny Turiaf in the David Lee sign-and-trade, there wasn't a lot of confidence that he would even play this season. D'Antoni used Christmas as a target date, but now that appears unlikely.

Though the outlook is bleak now for Azubuike, D'Antoni won't write him off. "He'll get there sooner or later,'' he said, "but there's no timetable.''

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
cant wait to get him back, think of the shooting and defense he'll provide us upon his return. cant wait. wish him a steady yet great recovery so he doesnt suffer an injury like this again

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Um Thank God for Landry Fields... Having him fill a major need in SG is termendous this season. It would really suck having to put Chandler at the 2 or forcing Azzy back too early. Outside of Rotten Andy and McCurry all of our guys can play, this team is Deep!

I would like to see this guy in the line up, but I doubt his game will ever be the same. Not many people come back from knee injuries, he will be putting great strain on his knees running in this system. Amare is already sitting with ice packs on his knees and we didn't even get into the meat of the season yet.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I would like to see this guy in the line up, but I doubt his game will ever be the same. Not many people come back from knee injuries, he will be putting great strain on his knees running in this system. Amare is already sitting with ice packs on his knees and we didn't even get into the meat of the season yet.

Man injuries are the worst, it destroyed the Blazers and the Rockets. Hope the Knicks stay healthy and Azzy has what it takes to come back. There is no rush with Fields at sg, hope your not right about Azzy. Amare doesn't look like he is slowing down, and I'm sure the Knicks will rest him if they see he needs it.