Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: No to 'Melo'

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    9

    Default No to 'Melo'

    I know this sounds absolutely crazy and I know that KO folks are going to tear me up for saying this:

    I do not want Carmelo Anthony on this team.

    I do not pretend to believe that we currently, have a championship calibur team. But I do not believe that with Carmelo Anthony we have a championship calibur team.

    I acknowledge that Carmelo Anthony is a better player then everyone on our roster except for STAT.

    However, this is a team game folks.

    There are very little facts in the whole situation to support why I do not want Melo. There are also very little facts that support why we should have him.

    These are my worries (opinions):

    1) Can Melo handle being the 2nd man or even a 3rd man? STAT is our number one and he needs to stay that way. He has inspired our team and willed them to win. No way does STAT step down and Melo take over. Felton has stepped up himself and I feel that he should keep his role as the co-captain.

    2) Offensively, Melo is amazing. Melo works best in iso wing situations and D'antoni does not run that too often. Melo is not very good in the P&R. Will D'antoni change his offense to suit Melo's needs?

    3) Defensively, well we already know he isn't a great defender. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    4) Rebounding, also not his strong suit. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    5) Hustle, Melo does not do this. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    6) Ball movement, Melo is used to having the offense run through him. I'm not so sure if Melo can play off ball.

    These reasons are probably flawed. This thread probably should be one-starred and closed. Regardless, this is how I feel.

  2. #2
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I agree with everything you've said, except the rebounding. He can 'bound.

    Good thread - because I agree.

    ☆☆☆☆☆

  3. #3
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Melo can defend very good when he wants too, and i would say hes a good rebounder.

    I dont think its absolutely crazy to not want melo, i personally think he would be a nice replacement for Gallo. If we had him right now we would be up with the elite teams in the east but I prefer we sign him after this season, a good young shooting guard is hard to find so I would like us to keep Killing Fields.

  4. #4
    Member BleedOrange&Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    This is STAT's city and his team. if we get Melo considering hes not the real leader of the nuggets (billups is) I think he will have no problem being the number 2 option. He wants to do what Miami did which includes checking your ego a little bit, if Lebron can do it Melo can.

    Melo is actually a decent rebounder at his position. His defense is suspect but has to be better than Flopinari's. Don't Forget that STAT is basically this team's KG he will not allow Melo or anyone else to slack off. Because of STAT this team is very active and I cant help but think Melo would take his game to the next level playing alongside real leaders iin STAT and Felton. paul Pierce and Ray Allen weren't considered great defensive players but they managed to make it work were part of one of the greatest defenses ever in 2007-08/ Just saying that if Carmelo wants to be a superstar like Lebron, Kobe or Wade he will pick up his game.

    I do agree that melo would not be the greatest fit in our current offense that runs through Felton and Stat. Chemistry is hard to come by and if we continue to show signs(like when we beat New Orleans on the road) we may consider trying to improve in a different way, I still think it oils down to this question. Who would you rather have Gallo or Melo?As a straight upgrade to Gallo, Melo gives us a clear 2nd option when Stat and Felton are sitting, he also gives us another closer along with STAT and Felton. It may take some nuance to D'antoni's system but if there is a scheme that allows us to utilize all three players this team would definately be next level.
    Last edited by BleedOrange&Blue; Dec 09, 2010 at 11:38.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I wouldn't go as far to say this is Stat's team. Yes, he's an acceptional player, but the knicks havn't really proved their worth yet, not against elite teams. If Mello came in today the leadership can very much change, his output in scoring (in this system) might surpass Stats. Plus Mello is a home town guy, and that fact a lone will boost his numbers as well as his confidence. I'm sure if they played together there will be no egos, they are professionals and will play to each others strengths, giving them more of a chance to win the BIG games. I say yes to mello. Great players makes great teams...if the players are willing to work together.

  6. #6
    Veteran p0nder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I say yes to Melo. I don't want to do a trade that guts this team and Melo is going to bat for us, the fans, by not giving in and signing the extension so he could be traded to the nets or stay in denver.

    He really does care about winning and is willing to wait out the CBA to get signed. I guess he undersands that he'll make more money as a knick champ then with any other team and is willing to take a pay cut in order to get a ring. Smart move on his part and he's been very smart in his actions and communications. Not formally asking for a trade, not signing the extension, forcing denvers hand and keeping it all close to the chest. All while being very classy about it. He is leaving a team coached by George Karl, one of the most respected and tenured coaches around, who also happens to be coming back from a battle with cancer. That Melo has avoided the personal attacks so far is testament to his ability to handle pressure situations off the court.

    Bring in melo and we are looking at a new offensive piece that will HELP with the flow and cohesion of the team.

  7. #7
    Superstar KnicksWillRiseAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,164
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Melo can defend very good when he wants too, and i would say hes a good rebounder.

    I dont think its absolutely crazy to not want melo, i personally think he would be a nice replacement for Gallo. If we had him right now we would be up with the elite teams in the east but I prefer we sign him after this season, a good young shooting guard is hard to find so I would like us to keep Killing Fields.
    Yay my Knick Names are catching on!

    But KS is right. I want Melo just at the right price. I dont want to give up Landry, Chandler, Turiaf, Douglas, Gallo, and Mozzy just to get Melo and then become some kind of weak version of Miami with Felton, Melo, Amare and Old bad Role Players.

    Keep Killing Fields, Chander, Turiaf, Felton, and of Course Amare. Add Melo to that and thats the next Lakers. we will rule the East along with Chicago and OKC, New Orleans, and Dallas will rule the west for the next 7-10 years.

  8. #8
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Blas
    I know this sounds absolutely crazy and I know that KO folks are going to tear me up for saying this:

    I do not want Carmelo Anthony on this team.

    I do not pretend to believe that we currently, have a championship calibur team. But I do not believe that with Carmelo Anthony we have a championship calibur team.

    I acknowledge that Carmelo Anthony is a better player then everyone on our roster except for STAT.

    However, this is a team game folks.

    There are very little facts in the whole situation to support why I do not want Melo. There are also very little facts that support why we should have him.

    These are my worries (opinions):

    1) Can Melo handle being the 2nd man or even a 3rd man? STAT is our number one and he needs to stay that way. He has inspired our team and willed them to win. No way does STAT step down and Melo take over. Felton has stepped up himself and I feel that he should keep his role as the co-captain.

    2) Offensively, Melo is amazing. Melo works best in iso wing situations and D'antoni does not run that too often. Melo is not very good in the P&R. Will D'antoni change his offense to suit Melo's needs?

    3) Defensively, well we already know he isn't a great defender. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    4) Rebounding, also not his strong suit. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    5) Hustle, Melo does not do this. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    6) Ball movement, Melo is used to having the offense run through him. I'm not so sure if Melo can play off ball.

    These reasons are probably flawed. This thread probably should be one-starred and closed. Regardless, this is how I feel.
    1) Melo played on the olympic redeem team....some plays he was first option, some plays he was 3rd. He can definitely handle it
    2)We dont base our offense on the pnr.....we run it just as much as any other team does. And he isnt a wing player.....sure he plays the 3, but melo moves on the court constantly.
    3) Melo is an excellent defender
    4)Melo is an excellent rebounding small forward
    5)Melo doesnt hustle? dont let the name Mellow FOOL you. He led the nuggets to the playoffs in a tough western conference.
    6)He plays off the ball now....watch a denver game. Billups does most of the ball handling, except for plays made for melo.

    yeah, ur reasons are very flawed....

    Melo compliments our team very well ....

    1) He is a leader
    2) Melo will draw double teams.....stat will draw double teams.....can you say 3's?
    3)Melo can will a team to a win just as Amare can.
    4)melo loves pressure, not affraid to take and make the last shot....pure killer instinct.
    5) he has a wet jumpshot and at 6'8'' he will give any team problems.
    6)just think of it....Amare & Carmello

    After melo, i pray we get marc gasol...or that the gov 'turns on his light'

  9. #9
    Member bboycustom92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    445
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    if the trade goes down it can do one of two things.
    A. Elite team and we might hit the finals
    B. We are worse then we are now.
    I say this because if we gel like the celtics did, nobody would be able to stop the inside outside 1-2 punch of melo and STAT.
    If they don't gel and there is a struggle for power... get ready for a lot and i mean A LOT of turnovers and bad shots due to not being willing to give up the ball for the better shot

    Honestly, I don't know if I wanna take the chance, plus I don't wanna lose fields, gallo, or chandler in the trade. But i'm 50/50 on this

  10. #10
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    We dont need him.

  11. #11
    Superstar welcometonycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    6

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    We dont need him.
    We dont NEED him but well DEFINETLY take em.

  12. #12
    Superstar Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I say yes to Melo so long as we don't have to give up anything for him. We're already a quarter way through the season. If he actually does want to come here, he can wait and we'll sign him for next season.

    If he doesn't want to be here, then fine. Cos I'm sick of the Knicks being used as contract bait.

  13. #13
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    We dont need him.
    Agreed.

    The Knicks have a talented team. They don't need to buy championships.

    This team has the pieces to win games.

    If the Knicks get Anthony, I'd support the move, but I'm not crazy about getting him the way some people obsessed over Lebuhon.

  14. #14
    Veteran Knicksfansince92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,012
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    Agreed.

    The Knicks have a talented team. They don't need to buy championships.

    This team has the pieces to win games.

    If the Knicks get Anthony, I'd support the move, but I'm not crazy about getting him the way some people obsessed over Lebuhon.
    +1
    Just grow our home grown talent for cheap is the mind set I'm on

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Blas
    I know this sounds absolutely crazy and I know that KO folks are going to tear me up for saying this:

    I do not want Carmelo Anthony on this team.

    I do not pretend to believe that we currently, have a championship calibur team. But I do not believe that with Carmelo Anthony we have a championship calibur team.

    I acknowledge that Carmelo Anthony is a better player then everyone on our roster except for STAT.

    However, this is a team game folks.

    There are very little facts in the whole situation to support why I do not want Melo. There are also very little facts that support why we should have him.

    These are my worries (opinions):

    1) Can Melo handle being the 2nd man or even a 3rd man? STAT is our number one and he needs to stay that way. He has inspired our team and willed them to win. No way does STAT step down and Melo take over. Felton has stepped up himself and I feel that he should keep his role as the co-captain.

    2) Offensively, Melo is amazing. Melo works best in iso wing situations and D'antoni does not run that too often. Melo is not very good in the P&R. Will D'antoni change his offense to suit Melo's needs?

    3) Defensively, well we already know he isn't a great defender. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    4) Rebounding, also not his strong suit. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    5) Hustle, Melo does not do this. He doesn't bring this to the team.

    6) Ball movement, Melo is used to having the offense run through him. I'm not so sure if Melo can play off ball.

    These reasons are probably flawed. This thread probably should be one-starred and closed. Regardless, this is how I feel.
    Thank you. It is good to know there are some of us out there who agree on this.

    Carmelo Anthony is not the right fit for all the reasons you mentioned,

    not to mention the fact that he wants

    22 million dollars per year, on top of Amare's 20 million which would cripple the Knicks in a hard cap world with

    2 pretty similar players.

    The Knicks spacing would go from all world to god awful.

    Carmelo can ball, but he is not the right fit for this team at all.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Feb 28, 2011, 22:26
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 03, 2010, 07:10
  3. The Key to the Car...melo that is
    By Toons in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Oct 22, 2010, 12:48
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep 22, 2010, 16:13
  5. Replies: 76
    Last Post: Aug 14, 2010, 13:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •