New trade RUMORS involving Ovinton J'Anthony Mayo.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
O.J. Mayo trade rumors are starting to evolve as Memphis moves in a new direction. These O.J. Mayo trade rumors suddenly involve the Denver Nuggets and Carmelo Anthony as well, as one

of the ideas being floated right now is that they could all work into a three-team deal as the trade deadline gets closer.

According to ESPN's Chad Ford, "Michael Heisley came into the season pretty sure he had a playoff contender on his hands. He just extended (Rudy) Gay and (Mike) Conley and he can't afford to let (Marc) Gasol go. And Xavier Henry's played well for them. I think (O.J.) Mayo and (Zach) Randolph have a better than 50 percent chance of being moved by February." This is pretty telling, because it means that Memphis is not happy with the roster they have right now.

So far in the 2010 NBA season, the Memphis Grizzlies have a record of 9-14, escaping last place in Southwest division by winning their last game. This is not how the season was supposed to go for Memphis, as many people had thought this could be a playoff team. Instead, the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks are running away with the division, and 23 games into the year, Memphis is already 10 1/2 games out of first place.

The team is suffering from a mixture of problems, and nothing seems to be working well for them. The current roster has an awful lot of offense to spare, and that could serve them well if they are able to work out a trade deal in the next couple of months. As we approach the midway point of December though, time is running out to right this ship. It could require that they make a move in desperation, and could be looking to unload salaries very soon.

If a trade is in the works, Randolph could be the biggest asset, as he is in the final year of his contract. He is making $17.3 million in the 2010-11 NBA season, meaning that he could be swapped with someone making a lot of money on another team. Then there is O.J. Mayo, who is a young asset that has two more years after this one left on his deal, but who could be a starting shooting guard for another team. Maybe the New York Knicks would be interested in acquiring Mayo in a blockbuster deal.

(Second Page)

The most interesting link to Memphis and O.J. Mayo is that of the Denver Nuggets, who have not come close to convincing Carmelo Anthony to sign an extension with them. It gives the Nuggets until mid-February (the trade

deadline) to get something done, and Memphis has the players to make a deal work better. If they toss in a draft pick, and the New York Knicks come calling in the trade room, we could actually see a huge deal come into focus that ends with Mayo and Anthony in New York.

The Article

KingCharles34

All Star
I havent watched the grizz as much this year as i would like too, but I keep hearing people say the same thing about Mayo.

I dont believe the Knicks would be interested in him right now. Knowing Walsh hes very patient, and Im hoping he wont make a Carmello trade unless another team is very close to getting him. Walsh most likely wants to wait until after the season to avoid giving up Fields and Chandler. Fields has good potential, hes a smart player that can shoot. Id like to give him a chance here to grow and see what he can develop into. I think that the 2 guard position is the second toughest to find good players at, after the center position. We're best off just keeping what we got for right now and evaluating. Thats that Donnie walsh swagger, hes a patient man and so am I. I can relate to him except i couldnt afford those chrome 22's hes got on his wheelchair :lol:

mafra

Legend
I recall reading something about Walsh and company liking Mayo alot whern he came out. Wasn't he the target when we entertained the notion to trade up? Westbrook or Mayo.

I could see us trading Walker, Douglas and a 2nd round pick for Mayo.

I could also see us expanding deal to get Anthony. Maybe Randolph goes to MEMPHIS, while Mayo, Walker, Curry and 2 first round picks go to DEN.

Anyway, if we can't get Melo, I would love to scoop up Mayo. Add another young asset to the mix. Makes me happy.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I recall reading something about Walsh and company liking Mayo alot whern he came out. Wasn't he the target when we entertained the notion to trade up? Westbrook or Mayo.

I could see us trading Walker, Douglas and a 2nd round pick for Mayo.

I could also see us expanding deal to get Anthony. Maybe Randolph goes to MEMPHIS, while Mayo, Walker, Curry and 2 first round picks go to DEN.

Anyway, if we can't get Melo, I would love to scoop up Mayo. Add another young asset to the mix. Makes me happy.

The indications are that we'll get both. We'll use some of Memphis' assets to get Denver to part with Melo and and we'll also get Mayo to come our way.

mafra

Legend
The indications are that we'll get both. We'll use some of Memphis' assets to get Denver to part with Melo and and we'll also get Mayo to come our way.

Felton
Mayo
Melo
Stat
Turiaf

Chandler, Fields, Williams, Mozgov (maybe even Douglas)

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
No Wayo!!!

Mayo is ageing like cheese.

I mean, he's recently lost his starting shooting guard spot to Xavier Henry, a rookie!!!

He's been on the decline since his first season, where he averaged 18.5 points. Last season he clocked up 17.5, and this year he's averaging 12.0.

Since his relegation to the bench, he's averaged 8.6 PPG.

I can't claim that I've been watching the Grizzlies - or any team other than NY for that matter - so I went and stuck my nose in on a Griz forum to sniff the vibe surrounding the perennial self demoter.

http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?showtopic=11001
http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?showtopic=11018

It looks like the Mayo faithful are beginning to renounce their faith as he becomes progressively worse. They know they've lost out on past trade opportunities for a guy that's turned from a budding star - in to a complete lemon.

No wayo to Mayo! Landry Fields all f'ing dayo!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I think OJ would look ALOT better in our SSOL..

He's a headache for cats offensively, hence the interest from Knick brass.

I wouldn't mind having him on our squad.

iJoe

Rotation player
Seriously... we don't need another low percentage shooter (less than 40%) who can't rebound or pass. We've had a lot of fun trying to get rid of that type before.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Mayo's not a low percentage shooter...you can't judge him on this year, he's barely had playing time...

He's been good throughout his career (career 44.3%, last year 45.8% which for an SG is not THAT bad), he plays good defense, he shoots the 3-ball well at 38.2% on his career...why's he such a bad player again?

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
As long as it doesn't screw up our chances at melo, I'm all for it. Maybe trade walker and williams for him. Williams can become a good asset cause of his recent shooting touch.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah Mayo is a good shooter and I think he would do great if he had a strong veteran with leadership like Amar'e to keep him in check.

Let's be honest I have a feeling that even if Melo comes here STAT is still going to be the leader of this team.

And frankly Mayo's a great player. He's an excellent 3-point shooter (for all you guys on Rudy Fernandez's nuts, Mayo is just as good), athletic, plays defense. Solid starter IMO.

iSaYughh

Starter
Yeah Mayo is a good shooter and I think he would do great if he had a strong veteran with leadership like Amar'e to keep him in check.

Let's be honest I have a feeling that even if Melo comes here STAT is still going to be the leader of this team.

And frankly Mayo's a great player. He's an excellent 3-point shooter (for all you guys on Rudy Fernandez's nuts, Mayo is just as good), athletic, plays defense. Solid starter IMO.

Hundrid.

Mayo is a real quality player. And can be had for 35c to the dollar it seems.

Memphis is a whack team and franchise. They are ultra soft and as an organization are a hot mess. They have a lot of flawed talent on their team.

Mayo was th recipient this year of all the mounting frustrations and desperation.

He might not even be our starter if he came, but rather a leader and #1 option on a second unit.

Great fit IMO.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
<TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Rudy Fernandez
Portland
Position: Guard
Height: 6-6 Weight: 185
Player file | Team stats
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=gSGSectionTitleStatsPlayerGrid vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=middle>2010-11 Statistics </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>PPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>6.6 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>1.6 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>1.6 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.9 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.0 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.346 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.786 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.351 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>17.5

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>O.J. Mayo
Memphis
Position: Guard
Height: 6-4 Weight: 210
College: USC
Player file | Team stats
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=gSGSectionTitleStatsPlayerGrid vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=middle>2010-11 Statistics </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>PPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>12.0 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>2.6 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>1.7 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.8 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.5 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.401 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.766 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.378 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>29.0 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- end head 2 head --><!-- Copyright IBM Corporation, 2001-2005 --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1>var SA_ID="nbapix;nba";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 type=text/JavaScript src="//stats.surfaid.ihost.com/sacdcv3_nbapix_nba.js"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!--Generated by LOKI 2.0 (xsl/structured_data/player_includes.xsl)-->
<!-- end head 2 head --><!-- Copyright IBM Corporation, 2001-2005 --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1>var SA_ID="nbapix;nba";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 type=text/JavaScript src="//stats.surfaid.ihost.com/sacdcv3_nbapix_nba.js"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!--Generated by LOKI 2.0 (xsl/structured_data/player_includes.xsl)-->

iJoe

Rotation player
You can't compare the numbers directly, since both players run such different minutes a game. Interestingly, they both played much better their freshman years. Thank heavens we didn't trade Chandler for Fernandez right?

Mayo is pretty much Gallinari in a SG form except even MORE of a shooter. In fact his game is more like Roger Mason (though better). One of the biggest knocks on his game is that Mayo doesn't get to the line. He's pretty soft around the basket and doesn't have that fast first step to get past his man. He's clever enough to sometimes get his defender off balance, but the vast majority of his shots are going to be jumpers. Considering how much people hated on Gallinari for settling for jumpers, they'll be screaming for blood after Mayo misses a few in a row.

His passing game is pretty bland, his defense is actually decent man to man though he struggles off the ball like most of the Knicks.

My personal biggest gripe and the main reason I don't want Mayo or Fernandez on the team? They both don't rebound. Replacing Fields is going to leave a huge gap in rebounding that won't even come close to being filled with either of these two.