Melo: Wants trade to Knicks (ESPN source)

Smooth

Benchwarmer
Source: Melo pushing trade to Knicks

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Archive
NEW YORK -- Carmelo Anthony has told the Denver Nuggets he will not sign the nearly $65 million contract extension he has been offered unless he is traded to the New York Knicks, a source told ESPN.com on Sunday.

The source, using the most definitive language possible, confirmed what has been widely speculated around the NBA over the past two months as Anthony has been at the center of trade talks involving numerous teams.

And while other franchises might be able to make better offers, Anthony will not agree to sign anywhere long-term unless he is dealt to New York, according to the source, who has been privy to private discussions between Anthony, his representatives and the Nuggets organization.

The source spoke to ESPN.com after Denver's 129-125 loss to New York on Sunday afternoon as the Knicks won their eighth straight game.

Anthony was again coy in discussing his future, but he did move the needle somewhat in making a prediction that the Nuggets will not trade him to a destination that is not on his wish list.

"I don't think so. I don't think that will happen," Anthony said.

Asked why he would make such a definitive statement, Anthony demurred "I don't want to answer that. I don't want to talk about that."

Anthony received a standing ovation from Knicks fans during player introductions after hearing their pleadings on the streets ever since the Nuggets arrived in Manhattan late Friday night.

"Everybody's yelling out the windows: 'Melo we need you in New York.' Of course that feels good when you know someone out there wants you to come and represent their team and represent their city. That's what I took from that," Anthony said.

The New Jersey Nets have been holding out hope that their offer of Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy and two No. 1 draft picks would be the best offer available to the Nuggets, but the news that Anthony will not agree to sign with them long-term effectively knocks them out of the bidding.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN.com and ESPNNewYork.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5912307
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
image.php

<!-- / sig -->
<!-- controls --> <!-- / controls -->​
<!-- message, attachments, sig -->

iSaYughh

Starter
Ship it.

Curry, Walker, AR, 1st, and a holiday voice greeting card telling DEN to never **** w NYC-NYK pride ever again.

Smh@ how badly those mongoloid lickin clowns undervalued Gallo and Chandler.

DEN brass must read a lotta KO in spare time. :beer:

moneyg

Starter
its what i said all along and its what denver knew all along

they r only dissing the knicks players so we can sweeten our offer

i say offer them billy walker, curry and randolph only with a second rounder and laugh in their face..

its about time

we hold the cards

havent been able to say that about my knicks in a very long time

feels good

KBlack25

Starter
Echoing the sentiments...the deck is stacked.

Either they send him here or lose him in free agency, might as well take what they can get (which is still an okay offer - AR still has potential).

la2ny

Starter
that didnt take long lol. take a ass whoopin hr. later your ready 2 demand it lol.

like i posted in the other thread:

Potential:
bill walker
Anthony Randolph

Salary cap relief:
Eddy Curry

Picks:
2nd round pick

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
that didnt take long lol. take a ass whoopin hr. later your ready 2 demand it lol.

Potential:
bill walker
Anthony Randolph

Salary cap relief:
Eddy Curry

Picks:
2nd round pick

Lmao that is an awful trade for the Nuggets. Screw them though. I don't want to trade any valuable role players for Melo. We gonna get him in free agency next year anyway. He said he's willing to wait.

iSaYughh

Starter

Potential:
bill walker
Anthony Randolph

Salary cap relief:
Eddy Curry

Picks:
2nd round pick

:peace: I only included the 1st bc we might want to save the cap given the team we'd have.

Either way, DEN should get fleeced. Let's never lose sight at how Melo was our linchpin.

2 Keys to deck alwaya being stacked in our favor given the dynamic in play:

-- Melo backing up words w action in stonewalling as much as possible for NYC without out n out walking out on his team this yr already

-- Walsh signing Felton and not trading Chandler or Gall (obv STAT is MVP, great signing, and invaluable, but he was our obvious Max Contract centerpiece and these other things could have not been, and their equally huge importance would have slipped through the cracks)

The latter has, and is, emboldening Melo to hold absolutely firm. And confident that even if DEN shoots themselves out of pure bitterness, an inopportune new cba contract will be blunted regardless by the sheer firepower (financially, and as a lifestyle and legend) by our auspiciously quick rise to being a complete, well built team w winners already on it

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Ship it.

Curry, Walker, AR, 1st, and a holiday voice greeting card telling DEN to never **** w NYC-NYK pride ever again.

Smh@ how badly those mongoloid lickin clowns undervalued Gallo and Chandler.

DEN brass must read a lotta KO in spare time. :beer:

i can see them accepting that package actually. Curry, Walker, AR and a 1st would be a solid deal( not the best package of course ). Although if the really insist Chandler could be parted with, and with Bukie coming back he could be a solid replacement for him. Although i would love to keep Chandler( i want him jersey).

and yes they greatly undervalued Chandler and Gallo and they both made them pay tonight( especially Chandler-27points!). and that is why i think they wont get either of them from us.

dave2138

Rotation player
I doubt they consider trading him to the Knicks unless Gallinari or Fields is involved since those are the only 2 players on the Knicks with value after this season.

Why give up on this season just to get Anthony Randolph who hasn't shown anything since his rookie season? Randolph's value is pretty low right now, no sense in selling low on him just yet for the Knicks.

Even Wilson Chandler has no value to Denver since he is a restricted FA at the end of the season. The Knicks won't be able to retain Chandler if they get Carmelo anyway, so Denver can wait to get him.

Denver might as well make a run at the championship this year and then rebuild next season. Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, Nene, JR Smith are FA after the season. You never know if they can get Martin and Anderson back healthy for the playoffs, they might have 1 last chance at winning the West. Most likely they won't...but why give up that small chance just to get Anthony Randolph? Fields or Gallinari...maybe.

My question to everyone is what would you rather have next year for 18-20 mil/year.

1)Carmelo Anthony to a max contract

or

2)Wilson Chandler 6-8 mil/year + 1 of the FA centers - Nene, Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler.

I think that's what it will come down to. No trade for Carmelo Anthony this year. But in the off season they'll have to make this decision.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
He got jealous of Amare and the Garden and now wants a piece of the fun. Let him wait. At this point he's not worth it. Honestly, resigning Chandler, signing Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson this summer makes us a better team. Melo can't shoot for s**t from outside.

Melo needs us more than we need Melo.

iSaYughh

Starter
i can see them accepting that package actually. Curry, Walker, AR and a 1st would be a solid deal( not the best package of course ). Although if the really insist Chandler could be parted with, and with Bukie coming back he could be a solid replacement for him. Although i would love to keep Chandler( i want him jersey).

and yes they greatly undervalued Chandler and Gallo and they both made them pay tonight( especially Chandler-27points!). and that is why i think they wont get either of them from us.

I'd only let chandler go if we decide as a franchise to go hard after M.Gasol.

Who knows how much someone might pay a legit quality starting C tho.

Look what Haywood got from Mavs.

Re-signing Wilson, and going hard after Big Baby from Boston seems really ideal.

We'd keep more of our current flow and chemistry, it's less risky, and we save some bones to.

Wilson, Gallo, Fields can all get their minutes with Melo, given their versatilties.

Chandler or Gallo or Fields becomes our 6th.

Felton
Chandler
Melo
Gallo
STAT
6th Fields

With a killer bench.

dave2138

Rotation player
He got jealous of Amare and the Garden and now wants a piece of the fun. Let him wait. At this point he's not worth it. Honestly, resigning Chandler, signing Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson thi summer makes us a better team. Melo can't shoot for s**t from outside.

Agreed.

I'm starting to think Wilson Chandler + 1 of Nene/Gasol/Tyson Chandler is better for this team than Carmelo Anthony.

dave2138

Rotation player

I'd only let chandler go if we decide as a franchise to go hard after M.Gasol.

Who knows how much someone might pay a legit quality starting C tho.

Look what Haywood got from Mavs.

Re-signing Wilson, and going hard after Big Baby from Boston seems really ideal.

We'd keep more of our current flow and chemistry, it's less risky, and we save some bones to.

Wilson, Gallo, Fields can all get their minutes with Melo, given their versatilties.

Chandler or Gallo or Fields becomes our 6th.

Felton
Chandler
Melo
Gallo
STAT
6th Fields

With a killer bench.

How do you resign Wilson Chandler if you sign Carmelo Anthony though? Maybe LJ can explain, but I thought they would have to renounce Chandler's bird rights in order to sign Carmelo Anthony. Either that or they wouldn't be able to match another teams contract offer to Chandler if they would go over the cap with the Melo signing.

iSaYughh

Starter
He got jealous of Amare and the Garden and now wants a piece of the fun. Let him wait. At this point he's not worth it. Honestly, resigning Chandler, signing Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson this summer makes us a better team. Melo can't shoot for s**t from outside.

Melo has always wanted a piece of the fun. And to play in NY. Every report, non-report, action, and result indicter this, and him stringing things along for us giving us time and not doing shit for DEN, all while taking on some personal risk.

It's all just coming to a crescendo as the clock ticks away towards an 11th our for DEN and our rapid rise into prominence and pride is gelling fast.

Melo has a quality jumper with decent range IMO. But I don't watch him all that much. Either way seems to be able to hit the outside shot in the clutch.

Gallo, Felton, even Chandler and Fields all have solid to very good range. Even STAT has a quality mid range game now. I don't think Richardson holds so much necessity for us anymore, especially with us having a quality 2hole rotation. That Melo would only aid.

Rather lock up Melo for a bag of lint, contend this year and start our championship now. And re-sign Chandler, and possibly a big body like Glen Davis in the off season.

la2ny

Starter
How do you resign Wilson Chandler if you sign Carmelo Anthony though? Maybe LJ can explain, but I thought they would have to renounce Chandler's bird rights in order to sign Carmelo Anthony. Either that or they wouldn't be able to match another teams contract offer to Chandler if they would go over the cap with the Melo signing.
well idk for sure but iknow you can go as much over the cap you need if you want to resign your own players.

if they do sign melo in the offseason theres a gud chance wil gets the boot but couldnt they do a s&t ala D.Lee. possibly for a big.

if they do end up over the cap hopefully w/ the new cba comin they keep the mle which we could use for the bench or a nice starter quality piece.:thumbsup:

iSaYughh

Starter

Hmm. Maybe I'm wrong on that(?) Was pretty sure it was feasible, though, with how much cap we have, how much cap we would have, and expected salaries. I guess the x-factor is a n?w cap situation after this season.

Azzy, AR, Walker, Curry salaries go off the books, and we aren't signing any 1st rounders.

I thought we could still re-sign Chandler.

Richardson alone will probably want a mammoth deal, and get it, a la Joe Johnson. Tyson C will fetch legit bucks, too.

dave2138

Rotation player
well idk for sure but iknow you can go as much over the cap you need if you want to resign your own players.

if they do sign melo in the offseason theres a gud chance wil gets the boot but couldnt they do a s&t ala D.Lee. possibly for a big.

if they do end up over the cap hopefully w/ the new cba comin they keep the mle which we could use for the bench or a nice starter quality piece.:thumbsup:

Yes, you can resign your own players, but you have to make that decision first before you can sign Carmelo Anthony. So let's say they get Chandler for 7 mil/year. That puts our payroll at around 48-50 mil. Do they have enough to sign Carmelo at that point? I don't think they do. Even if they sign and trade Chandler, they would have that same problem since they would have to take back money.

Besides why keep Chandler when you have Carmelo Anthony? Chandler will be pretty much pointless at that point. Hence, why Chandler has little to no trade value to Denver right now. They can just wait until he is a FA after this season and sign him after the Knicks sign Carmelo.

iSaYughh

Starter
I doubt they consider trading him to the Knicks unless Gallinari or Fields is involved since those are the only 2 players on the Knicks with value after this season.

Why give up on this season just to get Anthony Randolph who hasn't shown anything since his rookie season? Randolph's value is pretty low right now, no sense in selling low on him just yet for the Knicks.

Even Wilson Chandler has no value to Denver since he is a restricted FA at the end of the season. The Knicks won't be able to retain Chandler if they get Carmelo anyway, so Denver can wait to get him.

Denver might as well make a run at the championship this year and then rebuild next season. Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, Nene, JR Smith are FA after the season. You never know if they can get Martin and Anderson back healthy for the playoffs, they might have 1 last chance at winning the West. Most likely they won't...but why give up that small chance just to get Anthony Randolph? Fields or Gallinari...maybe.

My question to everyone is what would you rather have next year for 18-20 mil/year.

1)Carmelo Anthony to a max contract

or

2)Wilson Chandler 6-8 mil/year + 1 of the FA centers - Nene, Marc Gasol, Tyson Chandler.

I think that's what it will come down to. No trade for Carmelo Anthony this year. But in the off season they'll have to make this decision.

From DEN perspective it's if they think they actually have a shot this year, versus getting back what amounts to two extra 1st rounders, a decent bench player with potential; over the backdrop of flaming out this yr, and getting nothing but total ignominy and fan backlash when Melo walks.

Plus, if they just accept it now, they can go into fullout rebuilding mode.

Trade Billups. Make Lawson starter.

Chandler + M. Gasol vs Melo is close, though. I still take Melo if we can add another big body, too; and if we can keep Wilson, like I *think* we can, it's a no brainer.

Maybe we throw in Moz also in a deal to DEN?

Yes, you can resign your own players, but you have to make that decision first before you can sign Carmelo Anthony. So let's say they get Chandler for 7 mil/year. That puts our payroll at around 48-50 mil. Do they have enough to sign Carmelo at that point? I don't think they do. Even if they sign and trade Chandler, they would have that same problem since they would have to take back money.

Besides why keep Chandler when you have Carmelo Anthony? Chandler will be pretty much pointless at that point. Hence, why Chandler has little to no trade value to Denver right now. They can just wait until he is a FA after this season and sign him after the Knicks sign Carmelo.

Chandler + Gallo+ Fields is better than Melo at $20million plus we can get a legit center and we have enough picks to draft and trade for some quality back players.

However Regarding the Cap situation I think we can offer Chandler the QO of 3.2million and still sign Melo if we can trade Randolph for that first rounder

LJ4ptplay

Starter

You're right. We have to renounce Chandler's Bird Rights in order to sign Melo. We will not have enough cap space to resign Chandler + sign Melo.