Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: backup PG (Barea) + rebounder (Evans) + Melo in FA market

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    0

    Question Mark backup PG (Barea) + rebounder (Evans) + Melo in FA market

    Felton - Barea
    Fields - Douglas
    Melo - Chandler
    Gallo - Williams S.
    Amare - Turiaf

    Walker - Evans

    Is it possible?
    AR + Mozgov = first round pick

    Championship team

  2. #2
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    599
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    What's Chandler going to play..like 8 minutes/game?

  3. #3
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Denver won't let Melo become a FA. At some point, some desperate team is going to be willing to trade for Melo and try to convince him on signing an extension once he's there (especially if Denver eases up on their demands the closer it gets to the trade deadline.)

    I know the most ideal situation would be to get Melo as a FA, but that's our ideal situation...Denver's ideal situation is getting more than a trade exception and a pick for him once he's committed to a new team next July.

    So I don't see us keeping all 3 of Gallo, Chandler, and Fields.

    But I wouldn't mind Barea or Telfair as a backup PG and a Carl Landry or Glen Davis type, off the bench, who can rebound but also continue to stretch the floor.

  4. #4
    Sexy Stud knickzrulezH20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,781
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Telfair as a backup? No thank you.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by dave2138
    What's Chandler going to play..like 8 minutes/game?
    One of Fields/Chandler/Gallo just becomes more of a 6th.

    Felton
    Chandler
    Melo
    Gallo
    STAT

    Fields fills in whenever Gallo or Chandler rest; or when Melo rests and Gallo and Chandler move around within the rotation.

    Or

    Felton
    Fields
    Melo
    Gallo
    STAT

    Chandler would fill in for all those subs and opportunities, plus some time spent at the 4 slot, as well.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Denver won't let Melo become a FA. At some point, some desperate team is going to be willing to trade for Melo and try to convince him on signing an extension once he's there (especially if Denver eases up on their demands the closer it gets to the trade deadline.)

    I know the most ideal situation would be to get Melo as a FA, but that's our ideal situation...Denver's ideal situation is getting more than a trade exception and a pick for him once he's committed to a new team next July.

    So I don't see us keeping all 3 of Gallo, Chandler, and Fields.

    But I wouldn't mind Barea or Telfair as a backup PG and a Carl Landry or Glen Davis type, off the bench, who can rebound but also continue to stretch the floor.
    DEN has no actual leverage. They might want to trade him, but they have as much direct control over that as I do wanting to wake up tomorrow being blown by Jenny McCarthy.

    Their only "leverage" is accepting a trade where Melo wants to go. He wants to go here.

    Melo and NYC have the trump cards, and they are aligned. DEN is in the middle.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    0

    Default IF Melo wants us Den can't do anything

    Real problem is cap space. I don't know if we can
    howhever we can keep chandler gallo and fields

    D'ant don't use so much a pf and Gallo in offense and Chandler in defense can have that position. Probably also Melo.
    And they are young and can improve.

    Gallo is 22 and 2.08
    he can play pf
    and chandler can be the best 6th man in Nba

  8. #8
    Superstar johnstarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    643
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    It would be cool to have two players of Puerto Rican descent playing on the Knicks.

  9. #9
    Member keyser soze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    bay area, california
    Posts
    391
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Denver won't let Melo become a FA. At some point, some desperate team is going to be willing to trade for Melo and try to convince him on signing an extension once he's there (especially if Denver eases up on their demands the closer it gets to the trade deadline.)

    I know the most ideal situation would be to get Melo as a FA, but that's our ideal situation...Denver's ideal situation is getting more than a trade exception and a pick for him once he's committed to a new team next July.

    So I don't see us keeping all 3 of Gallo, Chandler, and Fields.

    But I wouldn't mind Barea or Telfair as a backup PG and a Carl Landry or Glen Davis type, off the bench, who can rebound but also continue to stretch the floor.
    The bolded doesn't make sense, though. What team is going to trade away valuable (even minimally valuable) assets for a player who is intent on not signing with them longterm??? (The only team that I could possibly envision going this route is a team that feels it is a Carmelo Anthony short of competing for a championship THIS year. But what team could that even be??? IMO, the only team that fits that description might just be our very own new york knicks) The team that trades for Carmelo is going to AT LEAST have a verbal commitment from Carmelo that he will sign an extension with them. And when the Nuggets lower their asking price, the Knicks offer(s) should suffice.

  10. #10
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by keyser soze
    The bolded doesn't make sense, though. What team is going to trade away valuable (even minimally valuable) assets for a player who is intent on not signing with them longterm??? (The only team that I could possibly envision going this route is a team that feels it is a Carmelo Anthony short of competing for a championship THIS year. But what team could that even be??? IMO, the only team that fits that description might just be our very own new york knicks) The team that trades for Carmelo is going to AT LEAST have a verbal commitment from Carmelo that he will sign an extension with them. And when the Nuggets lower their asking price, the Knicks offer(s) should suffice.
    A team like the Houston Rockets who have multiple first round picks in the immediate future, cap relief, and young players that might interest the Nuggets. Then if they throw a lengthier contract worth more than the current 3 year $65M extension, they feel they have a shot at keeping him while retaining Scola, Martin, and Brooks.

    I know it's exciting to hear that Melo is going to bat for us and according to ESPN "sources" he's all but said he only wants to come here. But if these are the same "sources" that were telling "insiders" that the Knicks would get shut out of the FA market, only for us to end up being the first team to land an unrestricted FA....I'll act as if it's just more speculation. Getting traded to the Nets, and traded to a Rockets team that keeps all of those pieces are vastly different. Then factor in an extension longer than 3 years, when the new CBA could really hurt is money, and suddenly he's not as "sold" on NYK.

    Not saying it's gonna happen, but to say it's not possible is crazy.

  11. #11
    Member keyser soze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    bay area, california
    Posts
    391
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    A team like the Houston Rockets who have multiple first round picks in the immediate future, cap relief, and young players that might interest the Nuggets. Then if they throw a lengthier contract worth more than the current 3 year $65M extension, they feel they have a shot at keeping him while retaining Scola, Martin, and Brooks.

    I know it's exciting to hear that Melo is going to bat for us and according to ESPN "sources" he's all but said he only wants to come here. But if these are the same "sources" that were telling "insiders" that the Knicks would get shut out of the FA market, only for us to end up being the first team to land an unrestricted FA....I'll act as if it's just more speculation. Getting traded to the Nets, and traded to a Rockets team that keeps all of those pieces are vastly different. Then factor in an extension longer than 3 years, when the new CBA could really hurt is money, and suddenly he's not as "sold" on NYK.

    Not saying it's gonna happen, but to say it's not possible is crazy.

    I hear you with regards to not fully trusting the "sources" who are all reporting that Carmelo wants the knicks and only the knicks. But at the same time, the one difference between these "sources" and the "sources" reporting on Lebron and the knicks free agency bid as a whole over the summer, is that these "sources" have been remarkably consistent. We've pretty much heard from day one that Carmelo wants to be a Knick. I have to assume that there is at least SOME validity to these reports until a single, bonified CONFLICTING REPORT comes out suggesting otherwise.

    Also, the Rockets don't make sense to me as a potential Carmelo suitor either WITHOUT a firm commitment from Anthony to sign an extension upfront. I mean, I personally don't see how getting Carmelo would make them an instant championship contender. Do you? Yeah, they would be much better but they'd still be the 4th or 5th best team in the loaded West (AT BEST) with no real shot at beating the Lakers. And thus, why would the Rockets give up multiple 1st round picks (the only way they'd be able to keep guys like Scola, Martin, and Brooks out of the trade), unless Melo agreed to sign the extension with them, beforehand??? Again, how would Houston finishing as a middle of the pack Western conference playoff team convince Melo to sign an extention with them when he can go to New York and play with Amare (a player better than anyone on Houston's roster) and Felton??? I just don't see it.

    I'll continue to maintain that no General Manager in his right mind is giving up 1st round picks or valuable young assets for Melo unless he KNOWS that Melo will commit to his team longterm.
    Last edited by keyser soze; Dec 12, 2010 at 21:54.

  12. #12
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I like the idea of gettin Reggie Evans. Hes a very tough, physical player and we need to build a team that can take out the Celtics. We're good right now but this team aint built to take out the top teams. We gotta get more physical

  13. #13
    Veteran StEpHoN_mArBuRy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Queenz
    Posts
    3,086
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    **** Reggie Evans sucks so bad.. He would bring toughness tho..

  14. #14
    SWAGABURY KingStarbury3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chinabury
    Posts
    3,313
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    They say hes the dirtiest player in the leage...probably in more then one way (pause). Or maybe Chris kaman, Id say from my personal experience one out of every 7 basketball players smells like sh*t once they start sweatin. Chris kaman looks like hes the type that smells real bad, Mikki Moore too

  15. #15
    Sexy Stud knickzrulezH20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,781
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    They say hes the dirtiest player in the leage...probably in more then one way (pause). Or maybe Chris kaman, Id say from my personal experience one out of every 7 basketball players smells like sh*t once they start sweatin. Chris kaman looks like hes the type that smells real bad, Mikki Moore too

    Lol Reggie Evans once went after Kaman's balls during a game, I'll see if it's on youtube.

Similar Threads

  1. No to 'Melo'
    By Blas in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Dec 13, 2010, 08:07
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep 22, 2010, 16:13
  3. Replies: 76
    Last Post: Aug 14, 2010, 13:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •