Boston Cripples @ New York Knicks (15 Dec 2010)

this loss transported me back to the 90's and it made me feel that same pain i felt when we would lost to chicago courtesy of a mj pass to wennington......but this pain feels good because it's the first time in a long time that the knicks or sports for that matter made me feel..........i hope we go out and destroy the heat on friday.....oh yeah and **** paul pierce:gony:

Sage

Rotation player
It hurts because it's a game we could/should have won. That's not such a bad thing when you factor in how awful this team has been in years past.

Heartbreaking loss, but so encouraging

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
So no one mentioned yet that it should have been .6 left on the clock rather than .4? Hmmmm. People talk about a conspiracy to give us things because of the market but the refs don't go back and check the tape on that shot. Shadiness.

I was first to mention it about 3 pages back.

CoolClyde

Horeshoes and hand grenades...I grew up hearing that from my pops. :peace:

Now here comes another pro-"D'antoni" injection that you know me for:

just another game where our offense wasn't better than the other team's offense. we could not stop anyone in the paint the entire 4Q

Let's take that. And I agree. But what you are casting as our Fatal Flaw, I see as our shining light.

The Celtics are supremely methodical, marked by defense of the highest order. A true NBA contender of veterans. Best team in the league?

What happened? We enforced our will on them. Win or lose, they played our game and that is why we had a chance. A patently superior team was run ragged, beaten up, and in disarray.

And not just a superior team, but a model of methodical fundamentals and smothering defense.

In the 4th Q I said clutch rebounds would seal it for us. And we eneded up giving Garknee the 2nd chances that got the game tied.

Still, it took a no-call and rare inside miss by STAT to even give Rupaul the chance to a maybe-push off tough jumper he had to make; and for us to then come 1/10th a second from outright winning.

Excuses? Yes.

But make no mistake: it was BOS that needed the clutch shot, foul calls, and rebounds to scramble to win this FROM us.

That is the key from this game. BOS had to win it FROM us.

System-philosophy based offense was our savior; and it shows that it is unstoppable from being able to impose it's will on --any-- team.

We didn't get the key rebounds, the key shot...Because we are an INCOMPLETE team! Our stable of centers entering the season are DNPs and we have brought in zero replacements.

If a couple extra rebounds, a better inside prescense of size, and keeping STAT and Felton and Co. a bit fresher are the difference in us -- a rebuilding team who on paper was supposed to fight for an 8 seed -- cementing wins against the likes of BOS:

Halle'****ing'jula!

Sign M.Gasol, Big Baby, use our 1st/2nd/2nd to draft a bigtime sharpshooter or p&r backup pg.

Chandler, Gallo, Felton, Fields are only improving. Felton is only growing more comfortable alongside STAT and as a pg in a SSOL-driven offense. SSOL gives great freedom and choice and thus responsibility to the position that already demands the most of it: PG. Felton's rapid ascent stands to only improve. A la Nash, needing 1.5 seasons to truly hit stride and max comfort level for himself and his teammates.

Add in a quality starting C, let a cumulative combo of Fields/Gallo/Chandler play more time as a 6th man force, STAT is fresher to dominator at will, and a basic PG backup who can run a quality p&r.

And who wins this game? Or the last BOS game even? Or many of our season losses?

If we played BOS's style and game what happens? Or play anywhere close to where they are in rhythm and --comfortable--? We get eviscerated. Like most teams. BOS has cultivated the style and players for their team and it's identity. All top teams have that identity that they thrive off of. It's a lifeline and keeps the heart beating in rhythm.

BOS is just better. When you're better you'll score more points. If we held them to 50 and they get 52, same thing. It would only happen if we sacrificed offense, somehow, and deflated offense. It's no more or less noble and respectable than dropping ~120 on BOS. This way is just the most feasible and possible "extreme" version of being able to impose a will on opponents and dictate terms.

Good post, I agree to disagree. I don't think we have to sacrifice offense in order to play better D, we need better substitutions when team is lacking D. Not giving Turiaf or Moscov a shot at stopping the rape in the paint by Garknee was frustrating. I agree with all you said about being an incomplete team, but I feel we have an incomplete coach who is running the team ragged with short rotation, and not teaching essence of D (guarding perimeter and paint). Perhaps we are a player or two away from being the best we can be, but that onus is on Wheelchair Walsh to get us the players we need to make the team complete, and help 'Antoni compete, completely.

p0nder

Starter
WHAT A GAME!!! that was seriously the best game of the season so far and it should of been a WIN (check the thread called the (crazy) night that was)

D'ant doesn't think this is an elite team yet, but i think he's wrong. This team can compete with anyone in the league. Boston only escaped by the skin of their teeth on this one. I want to see more games against quality opponents and with miami and chiago coming up i'm expecting the knicks to bring their A game and find out where we really stand up aginst the best teams in the east.

Then we have a west coast swing against some very difficult teams. so this is getting into the hard part of the schedule and i'm hoping that the performance against the celtics carries us through the next little while and the players stay pumped.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
This was a great game...we should of had the W though. Basically the only thing that separates us from these great teams is the intelligence and experience to finish teams off.

Also, i noticed that we were playing at their tempo most of the game. Thats something we can't do in future games.

CLYDE

Benchwarmer
This game supports my argument to just wait for Melo next year if we have to. I don't want to give a Gallo or Chandler, or even Fields at this point.

Denver has no cards, I say call their bluff. Give them maybe Curry's contract and a low bench guy or two, or let them squirm.

It hurt wakin up to that loss, but feels good knowing we are relevant. Ray put it best-
"Everybody has their own opinion. Real basketball players and people who understand the game know we have a good team and we can play with anybody. We lost a tough one against possibly the best team in the league"

KingCharles34

All Star
damn i didnt realize we got screwed outta this one until now. That picture shows it was clearly .8 seconds left on the clock. I hope the scumtics respect us more now but they are the least humble team in the NBA. I hope Bynum stays healthy this year so the Lakers can eliminate bumson in 5 or 6 games instead, and then next year they will be too old to make it past the 1st round :afro:

Hopefully after seeing felton Bumston fans realize how overrated rondo is now

This game supports my argument to just wait for Melo next year if we have to. I don't want to give a Gallo or Chandler, or even Fields at this point.

Denver has no cards, I say call their bluff. Give them maybe Curry's contract and a low bench guy or two, or let them squirm.

I disagree. As good as Stat has been, he still needs someone to set him up, and we lack a backup pg who can keep the pnr going. Having Melo gives us a player who can get his shot whenever. If we had him yesterday, we win that game. If we get him, a backup pg need is lessened because you can run simple Iso for him when Ray sits. Plus you get the big guy and fill in the blanks, not the other way around.

If you think Chandler and Fields are playing well, imagine what Melo would do.... Imagine..

KingCharles34

All Star
smokes already has a double platinum thread...about 50 more responses until this thread is triple plat

The one thing i think Carmello coulda helped with is guarding Pierce. Hes a great defender when he wants to be. Hes taller and stronger then Pierce, hes like Pierce but better. But the one thing Pierce does do better is shoot 3's

smokes already has a double platinum thread...about 50 more responses until this thread is triple plat

The one thing i think Carmello coulda helped with is guarding Pierce. Hes a great defender when he wants to be. Hes taller and stronger then Pierce, hes like Pierce but better. But the one thing Pierce does do better is shoot 3's

agreed. Plus it gives us a guy to go back at him, which we dont have now. That is a difference maker all in its own. Melo will become a better 3pt shooter. This offense will force him too. We need this man.

:gony:. The Celts is a veteran team, and the defending eastern conference champs. If we can just make it a great game...I'll be happy with that. The potential to win is there for the knicks but we will have to tighen up on that defense. The celts have many scoring weapons and a game of who can score the most points might not work in our favor this time. We probably will have to beat them with our intensity by having their older veteran players gasping for air. I expect Nate Robinson to be playing more minutes in this game due to the tempo it will be played on...

:thumbsup: yup, just like I thought. The Celts showed why they are the best in the East (atm). They didn't have Perkins, Delonte, or either O'Neil in the game, plus Rondo was injured... and they still came back and stole it from us in the end...at our home. Pierce has always been clutch, I never like the Celts but I always liked and respected Pierce.

This was an entertaining game to say the least, but we beat ourselves. Our defense is still suspect, we still give too many easy baskets due to parimeter double teaming. If we can just ease the opponents scoring, there will be less nail biters and our players would be able to reserve some energy for the long haul...its still a long season to go. The Celts were undermanned and used their experience to beat us. With that said, I really enjoyed our intensity, it was hurting the Celts and I remember seeing the shock and pain on Peirce's face toward the end of the game. The Knicks are looking way better then I expected...even Gallo stepped up after a weak first half ( a pleasant surprise). This is the type of B-Balling this city missed. I almost forgot just how good it feels to see the Knicks compete in big games...win or lose. I just hope they keep this up because the upcoming schedule is brutal...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Oh if the Knicks can come out a Friday with a win and crush Wade and Pippen (Lebuhon) that'd make us feel better about yesterday's loss.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
WHAT A GAME!!! that was seriously the best game of the season so far and it should of been a WIN (check the thread called the (crazy) night that was)

D'ant doesn't think this is an elite team yet, but i think he's wrong. This team can compete with anyone in the league. Boston only escaped by the skin of their teeth on this one. I want to see more games against quality opponents and with miami and chiago coming up i'm expecting the knicks to bring their A game and find out where we really stand up aginst the best teams in the east.

Then we have a west coast swing against some very difficult teams. so this is getting into the hard part of the schedule and i'm hoping that the performance against the celtics carries us through the next little while and the players stay pumped.

We'll be alright. And you're right we can compete against the elite of the NBA. I think we can win our fair share against high-level comp.. The Celts are just absolute grizzled old champs. They're tough as nails. We still have a ways to go.. It's still early.

This was a great game...we should of had the W though. Basically the only thing that separates us from these great teams is the intelligence and experience to finish teams off.

Also, i noticed that we were playing at their tempo most of the game. Thats something we can't do in future games.

It's difficult to get out on the Celts there transition D is superb. They're like the Spurs in this area.

I don't want to give up anybody either. I mean, Gallo looked awesome last night. Will too. Fields is so solid and reliable. I like all of these guys and they're playing well. We're a 5 or 6 seed right now. W Melo in a trade, if we lost a couple of the above guys, would we be much better?? Maybe but not by much, not totally sure..