Melo traded to NJ???

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
wtf?! that's so weird... at least it makes the east more interesting =D. For this season. If he stays there, we're still better then them. Melo Harris and Lopez got nothing on Amare, Felton, Chandler, and Gallo

johnstarky

Rotation player
Why would Melo agree to play for the Nets?

Why would he want to leave a playoff team to play the rest of the season on a team that won't even win 30 games this year?

I think these rumors are false according to WojYahooNBA via UberTwitter

Last edited:
Latest tweet by the DenverChannel said Melo has to agree to a long term contract with the Nets before the deal is complete.. Can you say "not gonna happen??"

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
apparently the deal hinges on Anthony accepting the extension. this could be interesting as i think we will push to get Mayo now. just my guess, but of course this is all assuming that anthony is a net now

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
I'd rather not take a chance on Mayo. Don't think he would fit in our offense at all. If we lose out on Melo let's just wait and see what else can materialize. If nothing else we have cap room for this summer.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I'd rather not take a chance on Mayo. Don't think he would fit in our offense at all. If we lose out on Melo let's just wait and see what else can materialize. If nothing else we have cap room for this summer.

Mayo is a scorer and he has the potential to be a smaller version of Melo he's only 23 so he's young and could still learn he could be had for a fairly cheap price while keeping most of our core( Chandler, Fields and Gallo ) together. i say if he could be had then why not??

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Mayo is a scorer and he has the potential to be a smaller version of Melo he's only 23 so he's young and could still learn he could be had for a fairly cheap price while keeping most of our core( Chandler, Fields and Gallo ) together. i say if he could be had then why not??

I like the idea. I liked Mayo since before he came into the league. Mayo is gunna have to mature a little first and become a lot better for us to even think about a championship anytime soon with our current roster.

Anthony Randolph should be enough for him, then again idk how much money OJ is making so there's probably gunna have to be some adding on.

Felton
Mayo
Gallo
Chandler
Amare

Turiaf, Fields, Douglas, and Mozgov. It's really solid, but is it a contending team?

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
I like the idea. I liked Mayo since before he came into the league. Mayo is gunna have to mature a little first and become a lot better for us to even think about a championship anytime soon with our current roster.

Anthony Randolph should be enough for him, then again idk how much money OJ is making so there's probably gunna have to be some adding on.

Felton
Mayo
Gallo
Chandler
Amare

Turiaf, Fields, Douglas, and Mozgov. It's really solid, but is it a contending team?

No, it isn't. We won't be able to contain or defend in the playoffs. Yes, I know D'Antoni doesn't know the meaning of the word defense but please find me a team that has won a ring in the past few years that has not been able to play exceptional defense. Not just let's flick a light switch on and then maybe everything will click. You see the team do it all season.

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
No, it isn't. We won't be able to contain or defend in the playoffs. Yes, I know D'Antoni doesn't know the meaning of the word defense but please find me a team that has won a ring in the past few years that has not been able to play exceptional defense. Not just let's flick a light switch on and then maybe everything will click. You see the team do it all season.

Absolutely right, but as long as we have D'antoni, we should be happy we get shots blocked and we steal the ball fairly well. If it wasn't for that, the only D we would see is the one in his name. But then again what he's done has us tied for 4 in the East with the a Magic team that lost to the same nuggets team we just beat on sunday.

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
Absolutely right, but as long as we have D'antoni, we should be happy we get shots blocked and we steal the ball fairly well. If it wasn't for that, the only D we would see is the one in his name. But then again what he's done has us tied for 4 in the East with the a Magic team that lost to the same nuggets team we just beat on sunday.

Also on ESPN's twitter feed, JA says its completely false. Yes, I agree, what Mike has done is great to get us back to respectability. It was something the city needed for its well being much more than what was happening on the court (I'm sure the League is excited as well and revenue must be up in the NY market). It might just be my over analyzing due to the fact that I worked in college athletics and the team I worked for now is instituting 7 (for them 5 seconds or less) seconds or less at the college level. A majority of my friends, not the players of course, but fans think its amazing what is going on because they are undefeated now but I know better than to get false hope with a basketball team.

mafra

Legend
The New Jersey Nets, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets have agreed in principle on a three-way trade that will send Terrence Williams(notes) to Houston, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic(notes) and a 2012 first-round pick from Houston will go to New Jersey. Nets forward Joe Smith(notes) will join the Lakers, who also will send their 2011 first-round pick to New Jersey. In an effort to create luxury-tax savings by trading Vujacic?s $5.5 million salary for Smith?s $1.35 million, the Lakers were willing to include their first-round pick.

The Nets now own five first-round draft picks in the next two years, including two of their own, the Lakers? (2011), Golden State?s (2011) and Houston?s (2012).

For the Nets, this was a deal to strengthen their hand with the Denver Nuggets on a play for All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony. The Nets have already offered the Nuggets their most attractive package so far ? including rookie Derrick Favors, the expiring contract of Troy Murphy and two first-round picks. Now, the Nets have a deeper war chest to bid on Anthony.

So far, Anthony prefers a trade to the New York Knicks, where he?d agree to sign a contract extension. Yet, New York doesn?t have a package of assets that appeals to Denver?s front office as much as the one the Nets have been able to offer.

While Anthony hasn?t shown a great willingness to play for the Nets, he hasn?t ruled it out. The Nets believe if they can get a trade agreement in place with Denver, they could call upon owner Mikhail Prokhorov and coach Avery Johnson to sell Anthony on a compromise of committing to an extension with the Brooklyn-bound Nets.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoPXck3xVctpqUTkKvfr7ZU5nYcB?slug=aw-williamsrockets121410

TWO THINGS HERE:

NETS are definitely the favorite in DENVER's eye. Nets have plenty of assets DEN is looking for.

NETS also block the KNicks, b/c there were reports NY was looking to re-acquire the #1 pick the traded to HOU last year. NOPE. The Nets swooped in and swiped that pick away.

STILL.... It's all about Carmelo Anthony.

The Nets could have every first round pick in the next 2 drafts... Doesn't do much to sway 'Melo right? If Carmelo refuses to sign an extension, NO WAY the Nets push fwd with this deal.

SURE, they might go as far to make trade anyway and take the risk, mainly to screw the KNicks and hope they can convince 'Melo to stay....

BUT, if Carmelo Anthony truly wants to play with Ama're, and play on the MSG stage, and if his heart is set on the Knicks.... It will happen in July. AND, if Carmelo is smart... He waits and signs as a free agent. He has to know that his best chance to wina title... And isn't this about championships?

If Carmelo wants to join the Knicks and do more than just compete.... The Knicks must be able to keep their young players. Otherwise, the Knicks are good but not great.

SO, we will soon see:

1) How badly does 'Melo want to be a Knick.
2) How badly does he want to win a title.